Michael Jackson The Political Activist

He wasn't really political, especially when his career was scandal free. He posed with the scumbag/traitor Ted Kennedy, Jimmy Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, basically so it helped his career. Some may scream sellout but I don't blame him. He liked powerful people. Being seen them with boosted his image.

Lyrics from scream

(News Man)
"A man has been brutally beaten to death by
Police after being wrongly identified as a
Robbery suspect. The man was
An 18 year old black male..."

He had to remove these words, I guess they wouldn´t play the song i n the radio
otherwise.

He wasn't really political, especially when his career was scandal free. He posed with the scumbag/traitor Ted Kennedy, Jimmy Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, basically so it helped his career. Some may scream sellout but I don't blame him. He liked powerful people. Being seen them with boosted his image.

He clearly was political. The Black or White video is evidence of that.

As for being photographed with Presidents, Muhammad Ali went to the White House... He wasn't political? :)

Lyrics from scream

(News Man)

otherwise.

I often wondered how much he even self-censored knowing he wouldn't publish it anyway.

He basically let it all hang out if you knew how to read. Hiding in plain sight as he did so friggin' often. :hysterical:

Last edited:
He was amazingly political....his views were published in his songs...I realize that now!

Not just his songs.

He dedicated the most important award of his career to Jackie Wilson (a man referred to as the 'Black Elvis') with the line: "There are followers... And there are pioneers and people that make the path".

In other words, don't call Jackie Wilson the 'Black Elvis'. Call Elvis the 'Black Jackie Wilson'.

He clearly was political. The Black or White video is evidence of that.

As for being photographed with Presidents, Muhammad Ali went to the White House... He wasn't political? :)

Exactly...just because he didn't publicly support any identifiable local political "leaning", "party" or "button on a shirt" doesn't mean he's not political. I guess it really depends on one's own definition.
But "polis" would be a good place to start looking...

Much props to you, samhabib:clapping: I knew the song is a whole lot more than just a banging record becuz it has all the messages, but thanks for breaking it down like that.

Michael carried on the tradition of making songs that are both entertaining and enlightening at the same time. Like, Stevie Wonder put out songs like Jesus Children of America or Higher Ground. These can make you dance and have a good time, but you need to pay attention to the lyrics. Same thing with Black or White.

Phonte from Little Brother wrote a huge article/tribute/thank you to Michael after his passing, and in there he stressed HOW MUCH he did for the black community, and that they will never ever forget that. Lots of things that you wouldn't notice too quickly..but it was all very ..almost...pro-black really. Look it up :)

During Michael Jackson's performance of 'Black Or White' at the Superbowl Halftime Show, the crowds unfurls two banners of a black hand shaking a white hand. Completely identical to the logo for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. Completely identical.

The Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee was lead, in the early 60s by Stokeley Carmichael. Just before he left to join the Black Panther party.

Michael Jackson... I bow to you

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6682/mjsncc.jpg

During Michael Jackson's performance of 'Black Or White' at the Superbowl Halftime Show, the crowds unfurls two banners of a black hand shaking a white hand. Completely identical to the logo for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee. Completely identical.

The Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee was lead, in the early 60s by Stokeley Carmichael. Just before he left to join the Black Panther party.

Michael Jackson... I bow to you

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6682/mjsncc.jpg

this is amazing :clapping:

Does anybody know if the Royal Arms Hotel is fictional or a real hotel? Does anyone have any info about it?

Have you seen this beautiful video created for
Michael Jackson's Earth Song?
It shows why we all must be Environmentalists and Fight to Save the Planet Earth.
Click on the Link Watch the Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F67Q7EaMg8

Lyrics to Earth Song
Earth Song lyrics

What about sunrise
What about rain
What about all the things
That you said we were to gain...
What about killing fields
Is there a time
What about all the things
That you said was yours and mine...
Did you ever stop to notice
All the blood we've shed before
Did you ever stop to notice
This crying Earth its weeping shores?

Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh

What have we done to the world?
Look what we've done.
What about all the peace,
That you pledge your only son?
What about flowering fields?
Is there a time?
What about all the dreams,
That you said was yours and mine?

Did you ever stop to notice,
All the children dead from war?
Did you ever stop to notice,
This crying Earth its weeping shores?

Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh

I used to dream
I used to glance beyond the stars
Now I don't know where we are
Although I know we've drifted far

Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh
Aaaaaaaaah Oooooooooh

Hey

what about yesterday
(What about us)
What about the seas
(What about us)
The heavens are falling down
(What about us)
I can't even breathe
(What about us)
What about everything
(What about us)
I given you
(What about us)
What about nature's worth
(ooo, ooo)
It's our planet's womb
(What about us)
What about animals
(What about it)
We've turned kingdoms to dust
(What about us)
What about elephants
(What about us)
Have we lost their trust
(What about us)
What about crying whales
(What about us)
We're ravaging the seas
(What about us)
What about forest trails
(ooo, ooo)
Burnt despite our pleas
(What about us)
What about the holy land
(What about it)
Torn apart by creed
(What about us)
What about the common man
(What about us)
Can't we set him free
(What about us)
What about children dying
(What about us)
Can't you hear them cry
(What about us)
Where did we go wrong
(ooo, ooo)
Someone tell me why
(What about us)
What about baby boy
(What about it)
What about the days
(What about us)
What about all their joy
(What about us)
What about the man
(What about us)
What about the crying man
(What about us)
What about Abraham
(What was us)
What about death again
(ooo, ooo)
Do we give a damn

Aaaaaaaaah Ooooooooh

I still believe people weren't ready for Earth Song. When it came out people labelled it pretentious, despite it being massively successful in the UK. People just wanted to turn the other way and ignore what was happening with the environment. A decade later people finally listened to the message we're destroying our planet but Michael was telling us ten years before and no one listened. This world just wasn't ready for him and it treated him awfully for it.

wow, i can't believe they said "pretentious"
this is a song that a five year old can understand, how can it be pretentious? gee, that was media's contribution i guess.

I still believe people weren't ready for Earth Song. When it came out people labelled it pretentious, despite it being massively successful in the UK. People just wanted to turn the other way and ignore what was happening with the environment. A decade later people finally listened to the message we're destroying our planet but Michael was telling us ten years before and no one listened. This world just wasn't ready for him and it treated him awfully for it.

:clapping:
Completely agree it has become an anthem of life and preservation.
Michael taught us so much through his songs, unfortunately there were/are to many blinkered and closed minded individuals who dont listen to the message. Some are starting to listen and I hope soon the whole world will listen to and appreciate the importance of the message!

I loved this song when it was released it had a huuge impact on me and I still love it now.

Thank you for the words of Mumia Abu on the Oil Spil.
He speaks the truth. Mumia understands the meaning of
Michael's "Earth Song".

Unbelievable observation someone pointed out to me. Absolutely unbelievable!

The first thing the black panther does as it leaves the face-morphing set, just before it goes downstairs and morphs into Michael Jackson, is to roar at a statue placed at the doorway of former American president and reknowned slave-owner, George Washington.

On Washington:

Naturalization Act of 1790

George Washington signed the Naturalization Act of 1790, which excluded non-white races from becoming naturalized citizens of the United States. This law established that "any Alien being a free white person, who shall have resided within the limits and under the jurisdiction of the United States for the term of two years, may be admitted to become a citizen" if "he is a person of good character." In 1795, the law was revised increasing the established residency to 5 years and included renunciation of "allegiance and fidelity" to their country of origin.[30] This law was passed in order to prohibit freed African Americans from gaining citizenship.

And on his slaves:

By the time Washington was 11 years old he inherited 10 slaves and 500 acres of land. Thereafter, slavery would be intermingled with Washington for the rest of his life. When he began managing the Mount Vernon plantation eleven years later, at the age of 22, he had a work force of about 36 slaves. With his marriage to Martha Custis in 1759, 20 of her slaves came to Mount Vernon. After their marriage, Washington purchased even more slaves. The slave population also increased because the slaves were marrying and raising their own families. By 1786, there were 216 active slaves on Mt. Vernon.[1] By 1799, when George Washington died, there were an estimated 316 slaves living on the estate.

Anyone want to tell me that that is a coincidence? That there is a statue of George Washington, randomly placed at the door that the black panther turns and growls at? Really? Really really???

Michael Jackson... I bow to your greatness.

Not just his songs.

He dedicated the most important award of his career to Jackie Wilson (a man referred to as the 'Black Elvis') with the line: "There are followers... And there are pioneers and people that make the path".

In other words, don't call Jackie Wilson the 'Black Elvis'. Call Elvis the 'Black Jackie Wilson'.

WOW I didn't know either of these.

So clever.

I think there is a lot still to discover from what Michael left us. Layers and layers.

I think that article is by the OP of this thread. Same name.

I agree, I remember in the 90s seeing a lot of environmental messages, but no one took them seriously because it kind of became like a fad. People might label you a crazy hippie for wanting to save the planet. Now, we know the global impact of climate change (perhaps too late) so it's more acceptable, and greatly encouraged to do your part to help. So, yes I think Earth Song was ahead of its time, but it was just as serious then as it is now.

Beautiful. Michael Jackson, the subtle revolutionary.

As a great man once said, 'war is deception'.

This whole thread is brilliant. Well done Samhabib for starting it.

I'm particularly loving, "Michael Jackson - the subtle revolutionary". So good I almost want to make it my signature!

Re: "Boy, is that girl with you?"

This was an eye opener for me. It's a tribute to the wonderful music that so
much of what Michael is saying goes unnoticed. I wonder how any person could
question his ethnic pride when the subtleties are understood. This is a powerful,
outspoken, relevant piece of work. Timing is interesting, also. Song and video
in the early 90's and his tour 1993. Co incidence? Sneddon? Who else?

The messenger and the message were trivialized at the time; ridiculed and demeaned.
Unforgiveable.

Thank you for this post.

My previous comment refers to Black and White.
Earth Song is so poignant
right now because of the oil spill and the fouling of the ocean and the impact
on wildlife.

My previous comment refers to Black and White.
Earth Song is so poignant
right now because of the oil spill and the fouling of the ocean and the impact
on wildlife.

yea overall i'm disgusted and sad that the environment,ways of life for people, and animals are dying right now because of this spill!

Lyrics from scream

(News Man)

otherwise.

Not just his songs.

@MIST&samhabib: Thank you guys for posting these.

Some people tend to brush musicians off saying things like, "They do music. What they know about politics? They express their opinions on politics just to try to look good." But they don't seem to know this: artists can be powerful political activists with their artistic approach that helps many people not to resort to cynicism or indifference because art can touch our hearts, something cold facts alone could never do. Mike is one of the greats in doing that.

P.S. I've been to this thread several times so far and it reminds me of the fact that Mike owned and read a lot of African-American/black history books.

Back