Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

They'll probably include bonus features

It may not be enough these days, but I still remember that VHS and playing it until it broke lol

lmao! Of course I will buy it too no matter what, but you know, it should come with something else this time

everyone will have the opportunity to see it.. In what fashion is debatable, but they would not do this project without having the world being able to see it..

Yes, but I'm talking about the 3D specifically. If they don't give Thriller a wide cinema release then only a handful of people will ever see it in 3D. Was it worth it to generate a few column inches?

The festival screenings are to gauge interest from the audiences and promotion from the press.

Remember, Bad25 and Journey from Motown to Off The Wall were shown at festivals.

And neither of them exhibited widescale. Bad 25 limped onto TV schedules worldwide weeks after the Bad 25 album had dropped off the world's charts and Off The Wall passed by completely unnoticed.

Has mjthriller.net stopped working for anyone else?

Yes, but I'm talking about the 3D specifically. If they don't give Thriller a wide cinema release then only a handful of people will ever see it in 3D. Was it worth it to generate a few column inches?

And neither of them exhibited widescale. Bad 25 limped onto TV schedules worldwide weeks after the Bad 25 album had dropped off the world's charts and Off The Wall passed by completely unnoticed.

Has mjthriller.net stopped working for anyone else?

But it seems they're going to put this out soon. 3D is more of a theatrical attraction, right?

The estate dropped the ball by not having the Bad25 film on TV (at least here in the states) within the first few weeks of the box set's release, but the Off The Wall film DID help the album make a dent on the charts here in the states. Showtime here aired it regularly for about 2 months, and the album reappeared on the Billboard 200 at #67. It was even on the itunes chart in the top 5 briefly.

Had they been more aggressive, the Bad 25 film would've been on TV around the world between September 18-29. Why they waited to have an edited version of Bad 25 air on Thanksgiving night here in the U.S., I have no idea because that wasn't the best choice

I fully agree with you, but it just seems so UNREAL to even think about a Bad/Dangerous Tour blu ray release, it's like something that you know it's never gonna happen. I don't see the Estate spending time and money on that :(

Sad but true. All I can do is hope right? It just sucks seeing the HD film from earlier tours and never getting a release. And when the estate finally release an HD concert, it's Munich 97 :( Its like they're trolls lol

My take is this.. If they are going to release anything with Thriller 3D it would have to be themed appropriately. It would not make sense to have Thriller 3D and BAD tour.. They could theme the Thriller era or Horror theme, something along those lines. while we can dream up a perfect release package we should be a little practical while coming up with ideas.

A little off-topic, but a comment about the Munich 97 concert.
It has not aired in HD, it was aired on ZDF HD, but in SD 4:3, this concert was also not shot on film but probably using a type of HD standard developed by NHK called Hivision/MUSE or with Sony HDVS.
It also shoots in 60fps, so in terms of a concert production it is better suited than film.
Several concerts shot using this format has been released on blu-ray, several from the Montreux Jazz Festival who used this equipment through the 90`s, it can look really good from what i have seen.
I think the Royal concert in Brunei 96 was shot this way also.

A little off-topic, but a comment about the Munich 97 concert.
It has not aired in HD, it was aired on ZDF HD, but in SD 4:3, this concert was also not shot on film but probably using a type of HD standard developed by NHK called Hivision/MUSE or with Sony HDVS.
It also shoots in 60fps, so in terms of a concert production it is better suited than film.
Several concerts shot using this format has been released on blu-ray, several from the Montreux Jazz Festival who used this equipment through the 90`s, it can look really good from what i have seen.
I think the Royal concert in Brunei 96 was shot this way also.

The HD version ZDF aired looks really good. It looks much better than any upscale. FPS is also better than in the SD version.

The HD version ZDF aired looks really good. It looks much better than any upscale. FPS is also better than in the SD version.

Sure, but still far from HD. And because it was aired in 4:3 and not 16:9 we can be sure that it is not the HD version.

Sure, but still far from HD. And because it was aired in 4:3 and not 16:9 we can be sure that it is not the HD version.

Are you sure it was shot in 16:9? Usually concert releases at the time were 4:3 even if they were released on DVD.

Are you sure it was shot in 16:9? Usually concert releases at the time were 4:3 even if they were released on DVD.

Well, if it was shot using Hivision/Muse (which is very likely), yes, because that was a 16:9 standard.
They probably just broadcasted the version they already had in their archive, the same one they used when they broadcasted on ZDF back in 97.

Well, if it was shot using Hivision/Muse (which is very likely), yes, because that was a 16:9 standard.

I hope you are right. If they did release it(I'm not sure if I would even want it) would be great if it wasn't exactly the same as before. Do you have any concert release examples from the time period that were 16:9? Not shot on film of course.

I hope you are right. If they did release it(I'm not sure if I would even want it) would be great if it wasn't exactly the same as before. Do you have any concert release examples from the time period that were 16:9? Not shot on film of course.

Sure. I have these concerts listed here myself. And the improvement from the 91 Toto concert to the 93 B.B King concert is very noticeable, probably because of improvements in the standard and/or cameras on those 2 years. Regarding the 97 Legends, i cant remember but it is probably the best of the three due to it being the newest.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/BB-King-Live-At-Montreux-1993-Blu-ray/5308/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Toto-Live-at-Montreux-1991-Blu-ray/159761/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Legends-Live-At-Montreux-1997-Blu-ray/1134/#Review

Are you guys noticing what Landis is trying to pull here?

Why is this egotistical bastard always ripping Mike down???
He should feel privileged to work with the genius that was Michael Jackson. I despise this man no end, really annoys me that he is tied to Thriller. If I was John Branca I would have told him to tone down the negative comments because they will inadvertently turn the target market (us as fans) off the project.
MJ and JL did incredible together, let that be the legacy not these unnecessary comments.

I didn't see his comments as trying to tear Michael down. He just made a very obvious point: Michael wouldn't be able to dance as a four-legged wolf creature.

I didn't see his comments as trying to tear Michael down. He just made a very obvious point: Michael wouldn't be able to dance as a four-legged wolf creature.

He is trying to let people know that he (Landis) is the mastermind of the Thriller project, which isn't the case.

He is trying to let people know that he (Landis) is the mastermind of the Thriller project, which isn't the case.
Although the entire concept was MJ's vision, it couldn't have happened if it wasn't for John Landis... keep this in mind, on Thriller, MJ basically worked for John.. on Black or White, John worked for MJ

Yeah if he hadnt sued mj/estate it wouldnt have happened!

Wouldnt have happened if not for rick baker or rod temperton.......

Michael hired John for both jobs, didn't he?

I'm not sure of all the details in his hiring, but during the "Making Of" doc he said he saw John Landis' "Werewolf" film and that's what made him want Landis to direct it. But even if MJ was the one who was signing his checks (he wasn't), he wanted Landis to have his own vision and ideas and implement them into his directing duties. Just watch the doc again, it's all proven there.

Landis himself said that when he did BoW video that the inner workings were different and it felt like he was working for MJ and there only to see MJ's specific vision brought to life.

I'm not sure of all the details in his hiring,
-------------'-------------

Ok then....

Landis talks crap about mj any chance he gets of course he would like to try and take credit for everything

I'm not sure of all the details in his hiring,
-------------'-------------

Ok then....

Landis talks crap about mj any chance he gets of course he would like to try and take credit for everything
Nice try invalidate my comments by omission.. the fact remains that things were not equal between Thriller and BoW.. some of y'all are so sensitive I swear to Todd

Omission of what.. you just said you dont know the details. Yet then in the next sentence claim mj worked for john ie john hired mj for the video.

Omission of what.. you just said you dont know the details. Yet then in the next sentence claim mj worked for john ie john hired mj for the video.

You mean in the next sentence I stated what made MJ want to work with JL..?! In his own words, mind you..

And MJ was NOT signing JL's checks, you don't have to be an insider to know that.. if anything, it was likely either Showtime or (at the time) Epic records. The fact remains that JL's role wasn't the same when it came to direct BoW, and that (again) was from JL's own mouth. But go ahead and attempt to omit what I've said (again).

Has anyone heard further information bout this different ending that John Landis spoke of awhile back?

I hope the making of becomes available for digital download!

Back