Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' video going 3-D in 2015!

Who (other than us crazy hard core fans) would go to the cinema to see a 13 minutes music video. (fans call it a short film - others sees it as simply a music video)

I sure would love to see it in cinema, but surely there must be more than just 13 minues?
remember "back in the day" that they ran it in the theatre, hoping that it would be nominated for a "short film" Oscar. Much like Spike Lee ran "Bad 25" in LA and NYC for 2 weeks in hopes for a documentary nom. Shorts are usually run with another movie-they don't just run by themselves. So yes, full length "Ghosts" would be a good idea!!

remember "back in the day" that they ran it in the theatre, hoping that it would be nominated for a "short film" Oscar. Much like Spike Lee ran "Bad 25" in LA and NYC for 2 weeks in hopes for a documentary nom. Shorts are usually run with another movie-they don't just run by themselves. So yes, full length "Ghosts" would be a good idea!!

But even then, it would still just be an hour. With ticket prices these days, a lot of people won't see the value in just an hours worth of entertainment. They could attach the 'Making of' or something else but who knows how many people are interested in that. They could probably attach Thriller before another full length movie in place of trailers and stuff? But then other studios might not like it...

Of course, it could also just be a short run in a few theaters across the USA/UK or something, which is likely?

Not officially confirmed yet. I don't believe it, I want to see a statement from the MJ estate before I get excited.

Who (other than us crazy hard core fans) would go to the cinema to see a 13 minutes music video. (fans call it a short film - others sees it as simply a music video)

I sure would love to see it in cinema, but surely there must be more than just 13 minues?

It wouldn't have to be by itself.
They could easily attach it to the front of a feature film. Maybe a Sony horror/suspense/action film and just advertise that Thriller 3d will be playing first.

They did that with GHOSTS, which was 40 minutes, and put it before the Stephen King film THINNER.

It wouldn't have to be by itself.
They could easily attach it to the front of a feature film. Maybe a Sony horror/suspense/action film and just advertise that Thriller 3d will be playing first.

They did that with GHOSTS, which was 40 minutes, and put it before the Stephen King film THINNER.
That's what I was thinking. Back in the "olden days" in the 60's and most of the 70's we used to see a couple of cartoons and a short film before the movie. I even remember sometimes there were news reels but they were more like little history short films made for kids instead of the actual current news. I loved those days of short films

I would love for them to start running the real Thriller this year before the movie until Halloween. At least before all the Sony movies!!!

Even Pixar does their awesome short films before their feature films.

I'm assuming they'd want it to coincide with another horror/suspense film and for a broader audience, have it be a PG-13 movie. (oh, and have it also be 3D).

I really like this idea!

andjustice4MJ @andjustice4some · 19 h ago

#King

BzYQ22DCYAA8hTU.png:large

What an exhilarating news!!
Must see THRILLER 3D!
Hope the estate could confirm this later…

Not officially confirmed yet. I don't believe it, I want to see a statement from the MJ estate before I get excited.

While there has been no confirmation from the Estate as of yet, this is from John Landis, and I don't think he'd go public with this news if it wasn't true.

My ass will most definitely be in a theater seat for this.

Mine too! But I'm wondering how they will do that- will it be released to movie theaters? And will they open the theaters for just a 13 minute film? I just wonder how they will release it.

Mine too! But I'm wondering how they will do that- will it be released to movie theaters? And will they open the theaters for just a 13 minute film? I just wonder how they will release it.

They can easily compile a 2 hour feature film if needed, featuring the making of documentary/the original short film plus addition bonus footage!

Attach it to a massive blockbuster Sony production, that would be awesome. If not, maybe it will be attached to a HIStory release that is supposedly happening?

Attach it to a massive blockbuster Sony production, that would be awesome. If not, maybe it will be attached to a HIStory release that is supposedly happening?

that would be great, but i think it will be an independent project.. it will need to be in 3D for the new HIStory Tour 3D transfer though of course.. they probably decided, ''why waste the rest of the thriller short film? why don't we release it as well''... just a thought..

I'm guessing it would also be in 1080p HD!?

Higher! They'd scan the film negatives in at least 4k (4x the size of 1080p) and very likely do the post-production on it in 4k as well.

Higher! They'd scan the film negatives in at least 4k (4x the size of 1080p) and very likely do the post-production on it in 4k as well.

Agreed, would have been pretty dumb to just transfer it to 1080p.. i think 2015 will be a great year for Michael.. in addition, Blu-Rays 'mastered in 4K' are now being released so it's possible that's the format, that will be used.

Last edited:
Hopefully they do master Thriller in 4k then follow suite with ALL mj's videos / concerts etc.....

I don't care if Michael's catalogue takes another few years to be released on Blu-ray, if it looks and sounds absolutely stunning, it will be worth it! As a huge lover of film preservation and restoration, I think this is the (potential) Michael project I look forward to the most :)

I'm getting all giddy thinking about it hehe.

Hopefully they do master Thriller in 4k then follow suite with ALL mj's videos / concerts etc.....

i assume they will, but not for many years... don't wait around ;) more likely now would be NHK Analog (Hi-Vision) HD & Beta Tape releases..

i assume they will, but not for many years...

I assume they will too! I think it would be great publicity too :)

Though to tell the truth, I don't think a lot of his fans understand just how HUGE of a task it would be to release Michael's short films in HD (not referring to anyone in particular). I mean, I always see fans griming and grumbling about none of his short films are out on Blu-ray yet. All of the short films* were shot on film, but then edited on tape. For them to release Michael's short films, they will have to hunt down the original film negatives, digitally rescan them, find the exact takes used in the final cuts and then reassemble them to the frame. Of course, they will then have to re-colour grade, go through frame-by-frame and fix up any dirt/scratches, redo all the visual effects (many of the effects were only rendered in SD I assume), etc etc etc. Music wise they will have to remix every single track into surround sound as the stereo tracks would simply not cut it for a Blu-ray release. Basically, every short film has to be completely reedited from scratch. Do this for over 30 short films and you got yourself a f**king mammoth of a task.

Some are already existing in HD+ formats thankfully (Looking at Speed Demon, Leave Me Alone and Smooth Criminal) thanks to Moonwalker.

*bar the odd one like Man in the Mirror since that was a compilation of tape footage. I don't think we'll ever see a great looking copy of this short film tbh.

Last edited:
I hope that too but don't expect to have 4K Blu-Rays anytime soon. They will come end of 2015 and I hope it will be popular format but I doubt it will happen right away.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/09/4k-blu-ray-discs-and-hardware-coming-holiday-2015

They can master them in 4K for the future but normal Blu-Ray is good enough for now :)

Mastered in 4K Blu-Rays are being released now, just check out 'This Is The End' with Seth Rogen & Jonah Hill.. looks flawless.

4K is coming to more people, the content will come. The HIStory spaceship now that I watch it again would be awesome in 3D if it was just the video and obviously no crowd.

Is it true that they are going to release HItStory tour in 3D?

If yes, why would they choose HIStory? HIStory is mostly lip synced.... Dangerous is much better!

People will start hating on Michael, like always. They'll start saying that Michael can't sing blablablabla. Dangerous is purely about his vocals. Especially the early concerts.

Is it true that they are going to release HItStory tour in 3D?

If yes, why would they choose HIStory? HIStory is mostly lip synced.... Dangerous is much better!

People will start hating on Michael, like always. They'll start saying that Michael can't sing blablablabla. Dangerous is purely about his vocals. Especially the early concerts.

Dangerous wasn't all about vocals, that was the BAD Tour. Plus this isn't a tour thread, HIStory tour was only mentioned as it has the 'Thriller' intro feat. the short film.

Back