Michael Prince & Brad Buxer - Secret Project (Confirmed MJ related - Post #155)

Re: Michael Prince & Brad Buxer - Secret Project (maybe MJ related)

This album will almost surely include "Days In Gloucestershire"! :D

This is it soundtrack is one of the ten projects.

The soundtrack for This Is It was released in October 2009. The 10-project contract was signed in March 2010. The This Is It soundtrack was an entirely separate deal with Sony at the time.

This album will almost surely include "Days In Gloucestershire"! :D

That's what I'm hoping for! It's known that A Place with No Name and Blue Gangsta will FINALLY be released, and I Was the Loser (from 2008) is likely to appear... more info better come out soon!

When the deal was announced, Sony and the MJ Estate said that the This Is It soundtrack was indeed, part of the 10 project deal. If anyone has a link to the 2010 press statement, it says it.

I wonder, considering Bad25 was a reissue, would it be part of the deal?

This is my logic:

Michael Prince and Brad Buxer both worked extensively with Michael. They have dozens of unreleased recordings. It's known that the Estate is planning to release a new album of unreleased material, and it is said that it's due out this spring. Suddenly, in the midst of all this knowledge, Michael and Brad announce they're working on a "secret project". That's the only explanation I can gather. If they were working with another artist, I don't see why they wouldn't announce the artist and the album; most artists freely say, "I'm working on a new album." But the Estate kind of keeps it hush hush.

Oh I see.

The Estate does it almost the way MJ used to, not making huge announcements and then bam! The world has 10+ new MJ songs :)

Oh I see.

I really hope I didn't seem like a jerk with that! I was honestly just explaining the way I looked at it. I'll be as disappointed as everyone else if it turns our they're working on a non-MJ related project.

According to this article This Is It soundtrack was part of the 10 project deal?
Michael Jackson Estate Signs Deal With Sony

By BEN SISARIO
Published: March 15, 2010
Nine months after Michael Jackson’s death, his estate has signed one of the biggest recording contracts in history, giving Sony, Mr. Jackson’s longtime label, the rights to sell his back catalog and draw on a large vault of unheard recordings.

The deal, for about 10 recordings through 2017, will guarantee the Jackson estate up to $250 million in advances and other payments and offer an especially high royalty rate for sales both inside and outside the United States, according to people with knowledge of the contract who spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to speak about it publicly.

It also allows Sony and the estate to collaborate on a wide range of lucrative licensing arrangements, like the use of Jackson music for films, television and stage shows and lines of memorabilia that will be limited only by the imagination of the estate and the demand of a hungry worldwide market.

“We think that recordings will always be an important part of the estate,” John Branca, an entertainment lawyer who is one of the estate’s executors, said in an interview on Monday. “New generations of kids are discovering Michael.”

“A lot of the people that went to see ‘This Is It’ were families,” he added, referring to the Jackson concert film released in October. “ ‘This Is It’ was one of the few films allowed into China. So we think there are growing and untapped markets for Michael’s music.”

The first recording covered by the new contract is the “This Is It” soundtrack, released last year, and Sony plans a new album of unreleased recordings for November.

Sony’s contract is a bet on the continued appeal of Mr. Jackson, whose sales spiked after his death in June at the age of 50. With overall record sales on a decade-long plunge, mega-deals like this one have become rare, and Mr. Branca said the deal “exceeds all previous industry benchmarks.” Five years ago Bruce Springsteen signed a deal with Sony worth a reported $110 million, and in 2008 Live Nation and Jay-Z struck a $150 million deal for recordings, concert tours and other rights.

Demand for Jackson music has leveled off after the initial rush — in the weeks after his death Sony scrambled to replenish retailers’ stock of any and all Jackson titles — but remains high. Last year Mr. Jackson was the biggest-selling artist in the United States by a wide margin, with 8.3 million combined album sales and 12.4 million downloads of single tracks, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Mr. Branca said that since his death Mr. Jackson has sold more than 31 million albums, about two-thirds of them outside the United States.

But as record sales have tapered off over the last decade, licensing has emerged as the biggest growth area for revenue from recorded music. And given the success of the Beatles and the Elvis Presley estate in reissuing and repackaging old albums as well as finding new uses for their music — like “Love,” the Beatles’ hit theatrical show by Cirque du Soleil — it is not hard to imagine the direction that the Jackson estate might take in using old recordings in new ways.

“It’s not just a record deal,” said Rob Stringer, chairman of the Columbia/Epic Label Group, a Sony division. “We’re not just basing this on how many CDs we sell or how many downloads. There are also audio rights for theater, movies, computer games. I don’t know how an audio soundtrack will be used in 2017, but you’ve got to bet on Michael Jackson in any new platform.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/arts/music/16jackson.html?_r=0

Also This Is It soundtrack belonging to 10 releases with Sony is mentioned here
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704588404575124023860735864.html

Btw, I'm loving the way reporters wrote Michael's name, it is either Michael Jackson or Mr Jackson.

Last edited:

Wow.

I never heard anything about a spring 2013 release. - But I sure hope it is true!!

Escape, Blue Gangsta, STTR, DYKWYCA, A Place With No Name, Days In Gloucestershire etc. needs to be released!! - AND like (I Like) The Way You Love Me was re-released on Michael I would LOVE We've Had Enough to be re-released on the next new MJ album! - It needs to have a more public release, not many have TUC - and does not know WHE!

Wow, this is a surprise for me... I didn't know anything about any kind of 2013 release at all, especially after the Bad 25 release a couple of months ago and after it, dare I say, failed to achieve the succes the Estate may have aimed for.

After reading this thread I started reading about Michael's possible unpublished songs and I stumbled upon this wikipedia page - it's a list of Michael's unreleased songs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_Michael_Jackson_songs#Future_albums

I was speechless 'cause I didn't know Michael had been so active during the last years. Does anyone know if this list can somehow be trusted? There seems to be quite some songs marked as recorded. And several of them are said to have been recorded in 2009 during the TII rehearsals - how on earth is it possible that Michael managed to rehearse for the concert series which itself was exausting enough, film a video for SC AND record new songs?

Wow, this is a surprise for me... I didn't know anything about any kind of 2013 release at all, especially after the Bad 25 release a couple of months ago and after it, dare I say, failed to achieve the succes the Estate may have aimed for.

After reading this thread I started reading about Michael's possible unpublished songs and I stumbled upon this wikipedia page - it's a list of Michael's unreleased songs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_Michael_Jackson_songs#Future_albums

I was speechless 'cause I didn't know Michael had been so active during the last years. Does anyone know if this list can somehow be trusted? There seems to be quite some songs marked as recorded. And several of them are said to have been recorded in 2009 during the TII rehearsals - how on earth is it possible that Michael managed to rehearse for the concert series which itself was exausting enough, film a video for SC AND record new songs?

The songs were registered in 2009. Not recorded. He was obviously busy with the rehearsals.

^^^^According your link, Michael indeed recorded/working on many songs with Buxer during TII rehearsals and he also filed a creditors claim after MJ's passing for music development, production and performance.

I wonder if this secret project has something to do with those songs?
Did anyone with twitter account asked if they could give a hint:)

^^^^According your link, Michael indeed recorded/working on many songs with Buxer during TII rehearsals and he also filed a creditors claim after MJ's passing for music development, production and performance.

I wonder if this secret project has something to do with those songs?
Did anyone with twitter account asked if they could give a hint:)

No reply yet.

The songs were registered in 2009. Not recorded. He was obviously busy with the rehearsals.

Well it does say "written and recorded", not registered. But obviously I can't tell for sure, I realise that it's only wikipedia.

I don't know when this interview with BB was originally done for Black & White magazine, but in it he says:
Brad Buxer: Last year, he called me to work with him again. The problem is that having spent my pilot's license, I had just been hired by an airline. And projects like Michael were quite vague and did not even have a label behind him, I could not risk giving my resignation and losing one job like that. I needed to know where I was and there, in this case, it was not the case at all. Having 51 years today, I might never be committed again later. To my regret, so I had to refuse to work with him again.

I'm under impression that interview was Dec 2009. If he says Michael called him last year and he refused due to his commitments. It doesn't make any sense if he worked with Michael during his TII rehearsal's, but says after MJ's passing that he didn't work with him:blink:

Bradley, in case you read here, did you or did you not work with Michael during TII, and what is the secret project:D

I guess the This Is It soundtrack WAS a part of the contract... guess I was wrong. Sorry! :)

But Wikipedia is a VERY unreliable source. Michael didn't record anything during the This Is It rehearsals; he was writing, but not laying down vocals. Wiki even lists that Michael recorded with Drake Bell and Marilyn Manson -- really?

who is Michael Prince?

No reply yet.

You asked:)
Tell him that he doesn't have to tell what is the secret project, just if it is about MJ's un-released songs:wild:

who is Michael Prince?

He's a sound engineer that worked on multiple songs with Michael from 1995 onwards. Most of the material he did with Michael is unreleased.

You asked:)
Tell him that he doesn't have to tell what is the secret project, just if it is about MJ's un-released songs:wild:

He got a bunch of replies. He didn't answer...yet.

I think it's too soon for the new studio album. Is it possible that Brad & Prince are working on HIStory 3D theatre/blu-ray release. Remastering the audio and stuff. Because they were both on that Tour with MJ, Brad as musical director and Prince as sound engineer.

I think it's too soon for the new studio album. Is it possible that Brad & Prince are working on HIStory 3D theatre/blu-ray release. Remastering the audio and stuff. Because they were both on that Tour with MJ, Brad as musical director and Prince as sound engineer.

Not meaning to be rude. But it by no means is to early for a new studio album. We have not had a legitimate studio album since Invinceable. Michael album lets just call it a mistake. It's long over due for a true strong release. The History tour can come at a later date. I would not think a Theatrical release would be legit. Blue ray release but theatrical I don't know.

I hope it would be all new music and not leaked songs. Blue gangsta, STTR,dykwyca are all great but anyone can download them. I'm done buying new releases for 4 legit new songs. Their are plenty more to choose from. Let's hope it's done right. If not I will just download the new ones I don't have. Peace and MJ!

i think an new album would be nice if it is done right this time but how are they gonne do that if they add new music to it or use vocals from other songs and stuff like that then are some fans mad others will think they use vocals from other singers and if they leave the demo's you will get an demo album and again fans will be dissepointed :bored2:
The HIStory 3d release in cinema i love it but i think they will keep that for the HIStory 25 anneversery edition.

The Estate or Sony doesn't market personally to individual fans taste. They market to a larger market and to the whole world who needs to hear these songs released, whether they have been leaked or not. I would assume most fans would want the world to hear and know how great these songs are whether we have heard them or not. The general public /world is not privy to the leaked songs nor have they downloaded them. Michael's music isn't for just die hard fans but for the whole world to enjoy and be inspired by. I get very excited thinking the leaked songs will be available to the world and general public out side of his die heard fan base. I want the whole world to hear and enjoy his music. That is what Michael always wanted . Michael deserves that. he also deserves to have his music chart and be recognized by the industry as well to stay revelent in todays industry. and fans are ones most responsible to make that happen..

If fans don't support and buy it that hurts Michael legacy the most and not anyone else . For instance BAD25 was a great release and mainly marketed to fans with all the extras for them. Its sad so many didn't take the effort to make it soar not for any one else .. but for Michael - I applaud the Fans that made an effort to promote it and those that did actually did buy instead illegally downloading it .. I have no patience or respect for any who do that.

I did download some of the new songs before release. But I did and always do buy the physical versions the day they come out. I don't think it necessarily always bad to download before or leaked tracks. You never know if all will be released anytime in your lifetime. I spent enough money on MJ over the years the estate should send me all unreleased songs for free. LOL! I wish

Not meaning to be rude. But it by no means is to early for a new studio album. We have not had a legitimate studio album since Invinceable. Michael album lets just call it a mistake. It's long over due for a true strong release. The History tour can come at a later date. I would not think a Theatrical release would be legit. Blue ray release but theatrical I don't know.

I hope it would be all new music and not leaked songs. Blue gangsta, STTR,dykwyca are all great but anyone can download them. I'm done buying new releases for 4 legit new songs. Their are plenty more to choose from. Let's hope it's done right. If not I will just download the new ones I don't have. Peace and MJ!

I have to agree with Smooth72; it's NEVER "too soon" for a new studio album. Bad 25 kind of came and went without much notice to the casual listener; the next album could be really big. And, if you think about it, let's say that the next album comes out in April. That gives them the rest of 2013/however many required months of 2014 to plan and put together the NEXT release, and that could EASILY work out in the long run. But OnirMJ has a point... that COULD happen. Then again, John Branca only said that he WANTED to release a HIStory tour movie, while it was pretty much confirmed that a new album would be released. So really, anything could happen.

The Estate or Sony doesn't market personally to individual fans taste. They market to a larger market and to the whole world who needs to hear these songs released, whether they have been leaked or not. I would assume most fans would want the world to hear and know how great these songs are whether we have heard them or not. The general public /world is not privy to the leaked songs nor have they downloaded them. Michael's music isn't for just die hard fans but for the whole world to enjoy and be inspired by. I get very excited thinking the leaked songs will be available to the world and general public out side of his die heard fan base. I want the whole world to hear and enjoy his music. That is what Michael always wanted . Michael deserves that. he also deserves to have his music chart and be recognized by the industry as well to stay revelent in todays industry. and fans are ones most responsible to make that happen..

If fans don't support and buy it that hurts Michael legacy the most and not anyone else . For instance BAD25 was a great release and mainly marketed to fans with all the extras for them. Its sad so many didn't take the effort to make it soar not for any one else .. but for Michael - I applaud the Fans that made an effort to promote it and those that did actually did buy instead illegally downloading it .. I have no patience or respect for any who do that.

I agree, but I hope that the next album isn't full of already-leaked songs. I used to not agree with previously leaked songs being released but I've thought and I figure that the world SHOULD hear them. But there should be a big margin between leaked songs and unheard songs; like, on a 12-track album, 2-3 leaked tracks and 9-10 unheard ones. No more.

the estate or sony doesn't market personally to individual fans taste. They market to a larger market and to the whole world who needs to hear these songs released, whether they have been leaked or not. I would assume most fans would want the world to hear and know how great these songs are whether we have heard them or not. The general public /world is not privy to the leaked songs nor have they downloaded them. Michael's music isn't for just die hard fans but for the whole world to enjoy and be inspired by. I get very excited thinking the leaked songs will be available to the world and general public out side of his die heard fan base. I want the whole world to hear and enjoy his music. That is what michael always wanted . Michael deserves that. He also deserves to have his music chart and be recognized by the industry as well to stay revelent in todays industry. And fans are ones most responsible to make that happen..

If fans don't support and buy it that hurts michael legacy the most and not anyone else . For instance bad25 was a great release and mainly marketed to fans with all the extras for them. Its sad so many didn't take the effort to make it soar not for any one else .. But for michael - i applaud the fans that made an effort to promote it and those that did actually did buy instead illegally downloading it .. I have no patience or respect for any who do that.

a big thank you very much!

Smooth72, you just sad you gonna download the new songs if the release isn't to your taste.
That's the approach that hurt Bad25 & it's the approach witch will hurt Michaels future legacy in the end.
It's sad that this is coming out of the same corner Michael always thought was the most loyal & the most appreciating & respectful of his work.
It's MICHAELS WORK after all, the one he bound his soul to...

And just because you spent huge money on MJ-things in the past, it doesn't qualify for downloading in the furure.
With spending money in the past, you just earned the things you bought & nothing else.
If you want Michaels unreleased work you have the right to buy it! And nothing more or less...
And that also counts for the leaked stuff, it's not MJ or his estate who ILLEGALY leaked it!

Personally i hope, that one day all leaked songs have a official release! 'Escape' and so many others are too damn good to not be officially released!

I am all for a new album. For it to be properly promoted and everything. Everyone should have known about BAD25.

The point is also the unfairly high expectations of the fanbase.
Everybody should keep the huge surge in sales after 06/25/09 & the following saturation of the market in mind.
MJ is also not here to promote his work. There won't be no second THRILLER. There won't even be a second INVINCIBLE -saleswise!
But there is no need for any recordbreaking anymore, MJ has them all, he has done all that.
Let's enjoy his god given talent, enjoy the music & the artistic approach of his work.

Back