MJ clothing line by Supreme may be in the works.

So um this sold out hella quick! I was there at 11 when it came out and SOLD OUT on everything lmao! I'm kinda sad ;-;

Yep. All gone.
I wonder how many they produced? I guess they won't tell us, but obviously they could have made more!

I rather like it.

I had a look on the Supreme website this morning however and all the t-shirts had sold out except the awful yellow one?

So um this sold out hella quick! I was there at 11 when it came out and SOLD OUT on everything lmao! I'm kinda sad ;-;

Yep. All gone.
I wonder how many they produced? I guess they won't tell us, but obviously they could have made more!

I rather like it.

I had a look on the Supreme website this morning however and all the t-shirts had sold out except the awful yellow one?

Well, everybody was right. Obviously a popular brand with kids!!!

I knew it would sell out really fast.
That's the power of Supreme for ya.
On Reddit and Twitter I've seen people say that it actually sold out in minutes/seconds.:yes:

Yeah I guess it could, but it was about brands other then Supreme so I wasn't sure about putting it here.:)

BRYCE WARD‏ @BRYCE_WARD
#toVIEW This is how London is rocking their Michael Jackson for Supreme.
http://hypb.st/28kmv HYPEBEAST

After initially reporting a Michael Jackson for Supreme collection back in April, Supreme finally released the looks yesterday and dropped the products today. The King of Pop is honored with a portrait of himself from the “Billie Jean” video sporting a tux and bright red bow tie on an assortment of goods ranging from tees, hoodies, work shirts and skate decks. MJ also gets his own special edition Supreme sticker which was previously unseen. In addition, Supreme also dropped its week 14 products which included jerseys, shorts and Madras track jackets.

The crowds in London came out for the release and immediately showed love for Michael and Supreme donning their newest pickups

BnGRNvyI

Mac Sauce‏ @FrankieGuwop

The Michael Jackson/supreme collab sold out too quick lol

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fashion is having a Michael Jackson moment, from Balmain to Supreme <a href="https://t.co/Sqv10lU5aY">https://t.co/Sqv10lU5aY</a> <a href="https://t.co/D5dAWKd1eT">pic.twitter.com/D5dAWKd1eT</a></p>&mdash; i-D (@i_D) <a href="https://twitter.com/i_D/status/867508898923728896">24. Mai 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
People are going OFF in the comment section of this video, meanwhile the drop still sold out.:lol:

Here's another interesting vid (turn on subtitles to watch).
People at the Supreme drop in Paris were asked who they like more, Kanye West or Michael.
I'm posting this because it made me happy to see so many (young) people answer Michael in 2017, so please no Kanye bashing (he himself is a huge MJ fan).:)

Last edited:
I knew it would sell out really fast.
That's the power of Supreme for ya.
On Reddit and Twitter I've seen people say that it actually sold out in minutes/seconds.:yes:

Indeed seconds. What's the big deal about Supreme though? I see nothing special about their products.
Instagram is filled with people talking about the MJ drop, people are reselling T shirts for 100 bucks. Crazy.

image.jpg

MJTruth;4195209 said:
Yep. All gone.

They could have, but the exclusivity and rarity of their goods is part of the brand. In 2009, Supreme founder James Jebbia was noted for saying: "But if we can sell 600, I make 400. We&#8217;ve always been like that&#8212;at least for the past seven or eight years."

ChrisC;4195210 said:
I rather like it.

Yep, if you didn't try to buy it within seconds you missed out. That's the usual case when Supreme drops.

redfrog;4195259 said:
Indeed seconds. What's the big deal about Supreme though? I see nothing special about their products.
Instagram is filled with people talking about the MJ drop, people are reselling T shirts for 100 bucks. Crazy.

Supreme goods always resell for crazy amounts, it's kinda like those people who buy tickets and resell them for crazy prices.

As for why Supreme is considered cool/popular, I shall let Reddit answer (they're comparing it to another streetwear brand called Obey). There's some more explanations/discussions in that link too.

To give a straightforward answer regarding Obey and Supreme that I think most anyone reasonably "in" to streetwear would agree on: Supreme is simply cooler than Obey on most every level. Supreme is often extremely exclusive (box logo hoodies literally sell out in seconds online), it's worn by cool celebrities, musicians, and fashion figures, it's somewhat pricey while still affordable for most of its audience, its associated strongly with NYC skate culture and skate culture in general, and its designs are often very original and appealing. Compare this to Obey, where any kid could just walk into their local mall and pick up a 40 dollar Obey sweatshirt at Zumiez or PacSun. Obey isn't exactly original, it's far from exclusive, it's not really associated with any kind of interesting subculture, and its designs leave something to be desired.

I think branding in streetwear is often misunderstood by other fashion "subgroups" because they simply see it as a word on a shirt and that's it -- there's a lot more to it than that, and it's really something you only start understanding once you delve into the streetwear community more and more.

HIStoric;4195282 said:
They could have, but the exclusivity and rarity of their goods is part of the brand. In 2009, Supreme founder James Jebbia was noted for saying: "But if we can sell 600, I make 400. We&#8217;ve always been like that&#8212;at least for the past seven or eight years."

Yep, if you didn't try to buy it within seconds you missed out. That's the usual case when Supreme drops.

Supreme goods always resell for crazy amounts, it's kinda like those people who buy tickets and resell them for crazy prices.

Well, the buyers try to resell them for crazy amounts. ebay is full of 'Supreme MJ' stuff at the moment...not much of it seems to be re-selling. If the buyers are trying to re-sell to 'Supreme' fans they may have a chance, if to 'MJ' fans maybe not so much.

I presume this is 'official' merch. ie the Estate licensed this stuff? The design looks a bit like the last tee design the Estate tried to sell. (The square album / single covers design). That seemed not to go so well.......

Obey sweatshirt at Zumiez or PacSun. Obey isn't exactly original, it's far from exclusive, it's not really associated with any kind of interesting subculture, and its designs leave something to be desired.

Hm....pot calls the kettle black. Is this even a design?

image.jpg

myosotis;4195309 said:
Well, the buyers try to resell them for crazy amounts. ebay is full of 'Supreme MJ' stuff at the moment...not much of it seems to be re-selling. If the buyers are trying to re-sell to 'Supreme' fans they may have a chance, if to 'MJ' fans maybe not so much.

I presume this is 'official' merch. ie the Estate licensed this stuff? The design looks a bit like the last tee design the Estate tried to sell. (The square album / single covers design). That seemed not to go so well.......

Yep, it is licensed by the Estate. Branca recently stated in the IRS trial that kids are "crazy" for the Supreme's t-shirts, that the deal is an effort to re-brand Jackson's image with a younger audience. "We make no money from it, but maybe someday we&#8217;ll get new fans".

In regards to your selling to Supreme fans vs MJ fans comment, I've come to the conclusion over this thread that these t-shirts are not really aimed at most people on this site. Firstly they are aimed at those who aren't as familiar with his work, not really current MJ fans. I get that from Branca's comment and the fact it's not being marketed towards current MJ fans - i.e. Michael's social media has kept it's mouth shut about this. Secondly and perhaps more importantly, they're aimed at Supreme's normal younger target market - I imagine most people on this fan site are above the age of young adults and aren't into the streetwear/skater culture.

As for the tee design the Estate were selling for Dangerous 25, I think it was because those were generally ugly designs. I don't think most single covers worked and they had some weird colours picked that clashed with the artwork at times. Supreme on the other hand choose a simple image with a white t-shirt that goes wonderfully together. The MJ Store also has a bad reputation in regards to shipping which likely turns some people off.

Hm....pot calls the kettle black. Is this even a design?

image.jpg

Yup, it's a simple one but it works.

EDIT: Looking at the image more, I like the dude's get up. I like the flow of colours from black > red > black/white, they all go well with each other. The vibrant red helps grab your attention and in combination with the opened black jacket + black/white image, would help frame the MJ image too - which is also of the right size to not be cut off by the open jacket.

Great, now I want it and I wasn't even thinking about the red one before :lol:

Last edited:
HIStoric;4195282 said:

So the volume produced could be much lower than I anticipated. Only a few hundred? Maybe 1000 max? Wow. No wonder they sell out.
Seriously though, producing a product and limiting the quantity to sell out and create buzz is one of the oldest tricks in the books. Electronics companies have been doing it for decades - deliberately releasing too few units into the market place so that demand cannot be met. It creates impressive headlines and let's people know that the product is highly sought after. In the case of electronics they usually slowly release additional units into the market place, carefully throttling supply to prolong the demand but in Supreme's case I guess they won't make any more MJ products.

It does surprise me though that with so few units produced Supreme have managed to build a reputation at all.
I could probably throw some shirts together with a simplistic design and sell a few hundred. Then decalre them "sold out". Big deal.

If the MJ Estate benefits from this deal at all, it won't be because of the few hundred units produced then sold out. It will be because of the headlines generated, though those are short lived and quickly forgotten. In a day or two nobody will be talking about it any more. The few hundred MJ shirts, hoodies, skateboards etc will live on for longer but as there are so few of them on the streets, they'll have no meaningful impact in gaining new MJ fans.

To put it in context Lewis Hamilton's MJ helmet a few years ago was seen by hundreds of millions of people around the world and it had virtually no effect on MJ Music sales and so I think it's reasonable to assume there were almost no new fans created. The Supreme collection has even less chance.

Well, the buyers try to resell them for crazy amounts. ebay is full of 'Supreme MJ' stuff at the moment...not much of it seems to be re-selling..

Actually they are re-selling quite well but people are bidding instead of buying them for the higher fixed price.
These are still crazy prices for some lame T shirts and hoodies. I see Supreme did the same once with Mohamed Ali.
Just put his picture in the middle and that was the "design". I'm glad there is market for stuff with MJ's picture but this is ridiculous.

BTW doesn't he have a "What the **** is this shit?" expression on his face?

image.jpg

image.jpg

but in Supreme's case I guess they won't make any more MJ products.

They might make more MJ products, but it won't be the same design. It'll likely be a different image/design.

It does surprise me though that with so few units produced Supreme have managed to build a reputation at all. I could probably throw some shirts together with a simplistic design and sell a few hundred. Then decalre them "sold out". Big deal.

You could? Then why don't you do it? ;)

I'm actually kind of being serious hahah, I'm not a marketing major or anything but I think there's more to it's success than I think people here are realising. A lot of the brand's success is from hype, absolutely, but it's been built up and maintained over time in a market where it's so very easy to become dated and soon unpopular. We see popular celebrities wear their clothing and the exclusivity of it all means that if you get your hands on a piece, almost no-one else is going to wear it. It means something in the fashion world to a number of people. It's not just the fact it sells out full-stop, but the fact it happens so quickly and consistently.

So if you can do it, you should.

If the MJ Estate benefits from this deal at all, it won't be because of the few hundred units produced then sold out. It will be because of the headlines generated, though those are short lived and quickly forgotten. In a day or two nobody will be talking about it any more. The few hundred MJ shirts, hoodies, skateboards etc will live on for longer but as there are so few of them on the streets, they'll have no meaningful impact in gaining new MJ fans.

To put it in context Lewis Hamilton's MJ helmet a few years ago was seen by hundreds of millions of people around the world and it had virtually no effect on MJ Music sales and so I think it's reasonable to assume there were almost no new fans created. The Supreme collection has even less chance.

Hahahahah not every single deal they do has to be some gigantic collaboration that draws in 4 million new fans. They're not trying to get Thriller back to #1 with this either hahah.

What's wrong with smaller collaborations focused on more niche groups from time to time? The entire collaboration is about keeping the Michael Jackson brand image youthful and appealing to youngsters.

Yes a lot of the hype is due to headlines, but you're going to have a lot of discussion on fashion/skater culture social media around these items which have serious exposure to a lot of younger audiences that probably aren't listening to Michael Jackson currently. They see the hype of people going "OMG MJ!!!" in the comments, they want to see what MJ was all about. Now you have to remember that this is the generation who listen to music on streaming services and they are almost certainly seeing these posts on their computer or smartphone. So within seconds of seeing MJ's image, they can jump onto the Spotify app and check out what he was about musically and who knows, maybe you have a new fan now.

It's really as simple as that. That's kinda how I (a young adult) have discovered some retro artists/icons and for all we know, there could be different designs of MJ coming in the future so it just means this attention all over again.

Maybe it will get new fans, maybe it won't, but what's wrong with the Estate trying new smaller avenues like this? If anything I applaud them for trying something new like this. Not everything has to be some gigantic collaboration that puts Michael back on top. Every little bit helps.

Actually they are re-selling quite well but people are bidding instead of buying them for the higher fixed price.
These are still crazy prices for some lame T shirts and hoodies. I see Supreme did the same once with Mohamed Ali.
Just put his picture in the middle and that was the "design". I'm glad there is market for stuff with MJ's picture but this is ridiculous.

For Muhammad Ali? Well The image they used was this:

sFwQjyY.jpg

Interpret it how you will :p

DAtkQdfW0AAtQF1.jpg

Kent Anderson? @kentoncanderson
Six hour lineup outside the L.A. Supreme store for, as one kid told us, "the latest Michael Jackson drop, cause he's dead, yo."

^ WTF man.. It really is true that people will buy anything that has a name behind it.. "Art" my freaking @$$..

That's an interesting set of Tee images. In the second row from the bottom, there are 2 medium sized black tees, one with $63 bid and the other next to it with $149.50 bid. I wonder why anyone would bid $149, if there are cheaper options available...which there are (I looked online). The answer I think is that there is a major problem with ebay in the number of sellers (lets call them 'small business' sellers) with multiple accounts, and who shill bid on their own stock in order to increase the amount bid. They will push up the prices to create an artificial market value. Ebay says they don't allow this kind of bidding, but the sad fact is (buyer beware) that they do...at least these 'small businesses' make so much money for ebay that they will not remove them.

There are still cheaper (than $149) black medium sized tees for sale on ebay now.

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnZn74muj][/URL]

I see that the 'fake' manufacturers in China got on to this release quickly: (1000% authentic LOL)
http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmwjhT2aj][/URL]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As regards these interviews on YT, I was struck by how little these 'MJ Supreme' buyers seemed to know about MJ. They were struggling to name three songs. I wonder if the Estate has been too hasty in denying the Navi drama-doc some genuine MJ music? If the drama is well done and MJ is portrayed sympathetically, is the Estate not 'shooting itself in the foot' by not taking this opportunity to widen knowledge of MJ's music? After all, they haven't had to put money into the production. If they viewed and approved the drama (and they may not approve it of course), then surely a more benevolent stance regarding allowing use of MJ music in this film might be helpful to the Estate?

Last edited:
^ I know I should feel like it's cool if someone famous is wearing Michael but considering the shirt and the way it looks it makes me feel people are buying it because of the brand behind it.. Wouldn't it be smarter for someone in that position to give that money to charity and maybe buy a cooler shirt for even less $..

^ I know I should feel like it's cool if someone famous is wearing Michael but considering the shirt and the way it looks it makes me feel people are buying it because of the brand behind it.. Wouldn't it be smarter for someone in that position to give that money to charity and maybe buy a cooler shirt for even less $..

While the brand plays a factor, not everyone wears a Supreme item just because it's Supreme. You have to like what the clothes actually look like too.

Travis Scott is also a fan of Michael Jackson (particularly his work on the Bad tour), tweeting about him as recently as a few weeks ago so he's very likely wearing it because he's also fan of MJ - and honestly I also wouldn't be surprised if Supreme gave him that hoodie for free.

Last edited:
Well, I think they're ugly, BUT it's no different than any other must have, trendy item that has been sold to Baby Boomers since they were children back in the 60's-think about Air Jordans, or Cabbage Patch dolls, or Elmo-or the newest I-phone. You HAD to have it.

From what I've read here, it seems like young people feel like they have to have this brand of "streetwear", no matter whose picture is on it.

So true. For my crowd in high school it was Adidas. Had to have them.

I looked at some of the designs featuring others on it and I don't really like them either, but then again today they'd shudder at what we were wearing. Come to think of it, so do I sometimes. :)

The thing to me is this.. if people don't think it's ugly or not.. I'll have to disagree about people buying it for other reasons than the name behind it for the simple reason at any time for the past multiple decades you can type in 'Michael Jackson shirt' on amazon or ebay and buy the same MJ picture printed on a shirt type shirts.. There is nothing new about this clothing aside from branding..

The thing to me is this.. if people don't think it's ugly or not.. I'll have to disagree about people buying it for other reasons than the name behind it for the simple reason at any time for the past multiple decades you can type in 'Michael Jackson shirt' on amazon or ebay and buy the same MJ picture printed on a shirt type shirts.. There is nothing new about this clothing aside from branding..

Not really. I just typed in 'Michael Jackson shirt' on eBay, went through the first 10 pages and minus the Supreme shirts/knockoffs that were labelled with said name, there was none of the Billie Jean photo (in fact, there weren't a whole lot in that style of a centred photograph. Some, but not a great deal). It will see more look-a-likes now though simply because of the Supreme collaboration and honestly, if you can afford it, I don't really see an issue with buying a brand's clothing because you like the brand and you like the design.

It's higher end fashion, it's a hobby and when it comes to actual value, it's not about it's literal value so to speak but instead the perceived value it's assigned by the buyer that gives it the actual value. It's worth whatever people think it's worth. Art is a good example. Physically, art is useless and doesn't really serve a real purpose, but there are art collectors that will drop millions for some pieces. Fashion is very much the same way and considered an art-form by those with an interest in it. Supreme releases very limited quantities and owning a piece is seen by some like owning a piece of art. And of course high fashion is up-marketed, it is meant for a wealthier consumer base. "Not everyone can own a Picasso."

It's not so different from vinyl collectors spending many times the price of a new record to buy an older 1st/2nd pressing of a record they like, sometimes the physical condition of the record is worse too. At a literal value and to non-enthusiasts, you might think a newer, pristine and cheaper pressing to be of better value but the vinyl enthusiasts perceive the 1st pressing to be worth the higher cost. Same for Harry Potter fans who'll spend more to buy a first pressing of The Philosopher's Stone, etc etc. Or what about audiophiles who might spend an extra $2000 on a sound system that realistically makes little difference to the sound for most people, but they perceive that extra $2000 to be worth it. I'm sure there are examples from many hobbies and ultimately, it's not too different to someone with an interest in higher-end fashion buying a limited-press t-shirt.

Personally I wouldn't spend the prices the resellers are demanding for them. Would I buy the t-shirt brand new? Sure, I like the design, the brand-new price isn't that expensive for a higher-end brand and hey, it's rare which is kinda cool too. Apart from that, I probably wouldn't get any of the items as I don't perceive them to be worth the price charged but other enthusiasts of fashion might like the design, the brand, the fact it is rare and might be able to afford the price just fine. In that case, like the art collector, vinyl enthusiast or audiophile, they perceive the value as being worth it and they'll get it, so hey, good for them.

Last edited:
Back