MJ Estate Sues Tohme Tohme / Tohme Countersues / Tohme's Complaint [Merged]

Re: MJ Estate sues Tohme Tohme

I don't believe Michael willilngly signed those documents without help. remember good old dr. murrary was around, he durgged Michael once and taped him, so with a little incentive any thing is possible. he fired tohme he should have kicked murr out.

Estate lawsuit file here : http://www.scribd.com/doc/81994850/Michael-Jackson-Tohme-R-Tohme-Suit

Summary

- Tohme gets hired around January 2008.
- Tohme doesn't have any experience in being a manager.
- Tohme took control over all of Michael's personal and professional affairs. They also claim Tohme hired and fired and supervised other people that worked for Michael and therefore no one could have objected his actions.

- May 2008 Tohme and Michael signs a finder's agreement for Tohme introducing Michael to Colony Capital.
- Estate alleges that Tohme didn't tell Michael that he had a pre-existing relationship with Colony Capital.
- According to the finder's fee agreement : Michael was to give Tohme 10% of the loan amount ($2.4M), 10% from the future sale of Neverland and 10% from any future transactions with Colony Capital.
- Estate claims Michael didn't have an independent lawyer and signed the finder's fee agreement without fully understanding and getting independent explanation of it.
- Estate says Michael signed the agreement because he trusted Tohme and believed the finder's fee amount was normal and customary. Estate argues that these amounts are too high.
- Estate says Tohme had conflicting roles - working as a finder and working as the manager of Michael.
- Estate states that the Neverland deal done with Colony Capital was highly unfavorable for Michael. It limited his use and control of Neverland and had unfavorable financial terms.
- Estate says as Tohme had ties and interest in regards to Colony Capital, he didn't look for better and more favorable financing options for Neverland. (Estate says that they believe other better options were available)
- Estate says Michael signed the Neverland / Colony Capital agreement without having counsel independent from Tohme and not subject to Tohme's control and authority.

- July 2008 Tohme gets Michael to sign a "Services agreement".
- Again MJ Estate says Michael signed because he trusted Tohme, didn't have an independent counsel and thought it was customary.
- According to this agreement Tohme was to be paid $35,000 + expenses per month even though Michael earned nothing.
- The agreement also said Tohme was to receive 15% of all gross compensations received by Michael for his services in the entertainment industry including live performances, merchandising, electronic arts, recorded and live telecasts, motion pictures, animation projects.

- August 2008 Tohme gets Michael to sign two Power of Attorney (POA) which gave extraordinary powers to Tohme.
- Also Tohme gets Michael to sign an Indemnity Agreement which was again too broad.
- Again the same claims of Michael didn't have an independent counsel, trusted Tohme, signed them without fully understanding them.
- Estate says Tohme cause harm with his POA when in November 2008 he gifted Michael's art to Brett Livingstone-strong. Estate says the POA's don't give Tohme the power to gift anything and sign over Michael's copyrights.

-Tohme negotiated TII concert deal with AEG.
- Tohme was supposed to get $100,000 a month as a producer fee from TII concerts. AEG would have pay this amount but then would get it back from Michael.
- Again the same claims about Michael signing this agreement.

- Estate alleges that Tohme took possession and control of millions of dollars, tangible personal property and other property of Michael.
- Estate says Tohme merged his own funds with Michael's and used Michael's money for his expenses, travel, entertainment and purchase other property for himself.
- Estate says Tohme has refused to provide accounting for the money he handled.
- Estate says they believe Tohme is in possession of property belonging to the Estate (and alleges Tohme disposed some of them) and asks for twice the value of such items.

- Estate says Tohme was fired March 2009 and Michael revoked his POA's in April 2009.
- Tohme didn't return Michael's property.

- After Michael's death Tohme requested significant funds from MJ Estate.
- Tohme refused to return the property in his possession to MJ Estate.
- Estate says Tohme also didn't return books and records.

Claims

1. Accounting : Estate is asking for account of all actions and transactions done by Tohme and return of any money and property of Michael.

2. Recovery of Property: Estate is asking for all the property and cash Tohme has. Estate also claims that when Michael died he had a claim to property that the title or possession is held by Tohme.

3. Wrongful taking: Estate wants twice the value of the property that Tohme took, concealed and disposed of.

4. Breach of fiduciary duty: Tohme took advantage of Michael's trust (for the things listed above) and only considered his self interest. Estate doesn't know the exact amount of damages but they're asking for currently undetermined damages from Tohme.

5. Rescission: Due to the breach of duty Estate is asking for rescission - in other words the cancellation - of the 3 agreements (finder's fee, service and indemnity) between Michael and Tohme.

6. Rescission: Estate is asking for the rescission / cancellation of the 3 agreements between Michael and Tohme due several facts such as Michael didn't have independent counsel and/or didn't fully understand it and trusted Tohme. Estate says Michael could not known that these agreements weren't customary and highly unfavorable for him. So Estate wants to rescind / cancel all these agreements.

7. Rescission due to undue influence: Estate also claims that Tohme misused Michael's confidence in him to obtain advantage over Michael and took advantage of Michael's financial distress.

8. Relief: Estate wants the court to rule that Tohme is not entitled to any commission for the time after he was fired and certainly not after Michael's death, void the agreements and rule that Tohme is not entitled any further compensation and order the return of Michael's property and money that's in Tohme's possession. Estate is also asking for damages (not yet determined) and legal costs.

Just seeing all that is making me upset right now.

Just seeing all that is making me upset right now.

me too...there comes a point that a person just runs out of words...and this ..right now...is one of those times. :mad:

Thank you for taking the time to summarize this Ivy...don't know what we would do without you...:hug:

me too...there comes a point that a person just runs out of words...and this ..right now...is one of those times. :mad:

Thank you for taking the time to summarize this Ivy...don't know what we would do without you...:hug:

I am trying not to cry. He did all that and he worked for Michael barely a year.

Just saw this on Twitter. I sincerely hope that justice is served on behalf of Michael. Thank you to the estate. Just plain greed...wow.

Also thank you to Ivy for the summarization.

Last edited:
Re: MJ Estate sues Tohme Tohme / Tohme countersues / Summary @pg 4

I knew Thome Thome was up to no good all along. He screwed Michael, well now he's gonna get himself screwed.

This is disturbing...really.
Here is my take on this. Tohme Tohme claims are so similar to Raymond Baine, and we all know where the latter ended up. Plus, just by readin the suit, it's obvious from the start that there was an overwhelming conflict of interest from Tohme Tohme. The guy with ties with Colony Capital signing a dodgy contract on behalf of MJ with Colony Capital. What is going on here? I don't see how he's gonna get away with this. In the end, the man is basically claiming 15% of the MJ Estate. For doing what? Screwing MJ.

I'm actually glad this suit is finally brought by the Estate. We'll finally know about Tohme Tohme background and past and how the F he became MJ manager.

Last edited:

Thank you Ivy for posting the Lawsuite File and for the Great summary - you are appreciated :)

Unless he was under duress or mentally incapacitated...MJ should bear some of the responsibility.

Signing a contract without an attorney present is ridiculous. Especially for someone who's been in the biz all his life.

When it happens over and over and over and over again, i'd say that's the time to think most probably the next one will do the same.

I have to agree with you. When I hear stories like this, see all the shady people he did business with and who screwed him all over and over again, see that he signed a two paragraph "contract" with Bashir, I have to question the notion that he was a good businessman. Yeah, he did some great business (notably the ATV catalog) but at the same time also some very stupid ones. He was an artist, not a businessman and he was also naiv, IMO, which is not an advantage in the business world.

I see the Estate is also going after other people in this suit - see page 3. so far they are listed as Doe 1-10. but their real identities will be revealed as the Estate uncover them.

Re: MJ Estate sues Tohme Tohme / Tohme countersues / Summary @pg 5

Yeah, get him finally! Bring out the guns! Tohme finally decided to come out of his hidey hole eh? And about Michael trusting the wrong people over and over, well...it just makes me sad all over again. :cry:

Post removed

Last edited:

Thanks for the summary ivy. what stands out to me is the blantent corruption of the colony/ranch deal.everyone always said it was a conflict of intrest and then u have thome giving himself a finders fee yet he worked for colony! not much finding work for thome was it.id like to see this go all the way but it will prob end in a settlement as this suit is been done to counter thomes

This made me feel sick:puke:
Can someone explain why would Tohme needed two POA's, wouldn't one be enough?

Tohme gave back 5 millions to estate after Michael died. I wonder was that all he had, as it seems to me that he could have had a lot more?

Its a pity that Branca wasn't with Michael all the time, we wouldn't be reading this sort of news if he had stayed:no:

Btw, this is what he said after Michael's death
"He always said to me, 'I want people to really know who I am after I'm gone,' " Tohme said, noting that he dropped everything else he was doing and took no salary while working with Jackson and that he helped to begin turning Jackson's finances around after years of poor management."

Took no salary!Hah, he was helping himself from left and right.

Last edited:

Reading the summary it makes me think this could have gone down the route of 'criminal proceedings'. Fraud, corruption and possible intimidation. Tohme should be the first of many who will be brought to task about their misdoings.

I think it was a medicin for anxiety found in Michael´s room after his death to take when he needed.
He had only taken a few pills of it,but it shows he had suffered from anxiety.
I read he suffered from depression now and then.

A depression can make you blunted and I can understand Michael read contracts without knowing what everything meant in it.
Especially selling part of his home,Neverland, must have been very hard for Michael.
he had to and I guess he just wanted it done.

Tohme took advantage of him and I hope he get punished for it.

MICHAEL JACKSON'S EX-MANAGER The Estate Is Screwing Me

But the big thing -- Tohme takes credit for suggesting that MJ's final tour would be called, "This Is It." According to the suit, during a discussion with Michael and AEG, Tohme chimed in that Michael selling the name, "This Is It" in a "high-spirited tone" would be a smash.

Haha Kenny Ortega has told another completely different story. He said MJ called him to ask him to join his team and apparently told Kenny "Kenny, this is it, this is the time, this is it".. and Kenny answered "Why don't you call the tour 'This Is It?' and then the next few days when he watched the press-conference he saw MJ had called the tour 'TII'.

In addition to the $2.3 mil, Tohme wants 15% of the money Michael made from July, 2008 until the present.

Why does he feel he is entitled to the money made after MJ passed? I dont get it.

Last edited:

Reading this makes me feel sorry that MJ didn't hire Branka back much earlier. Well i hope Estate will sue all the cheaters from Michael's inner circle finally.

I want to know what Jermaine would talk about it

I hope this is the beginning of the domino affect. More heads to roll before we're finished I believe.

The Thief must pay and return all that he stole from Michael's property, why he vanished liker smoke after Michael died ? Why is he hiding and WHAT is he hiding and from whom ? His role is dark, her must give explanations and true ones ! Great move Estate GO GO GO we support you! Where is the tapes and things he got after Michael passed away and took them away from the house ?? Remember who hired him ? I remember clearly who did .....

Last edited:

More heads to roll before we're finished I believe.
i think so too. i also believe more people are involved.

people can blame MJ all they want (no one here has) but you've got to look at what this guy was put trough at the time. i do believe he suffered from depression but never got proper help.....

This is disturbing...really.
Here is my take on this. Tohme Tohme claims are so similar to Raymond Baine, and we all know where the latter ended up.

Raymone Bain had signed an agreement saying that she wasn't owed anything but then started claiming money. So that one was a lot more certain in regards to the outcome. She didn't have much of a case to start with.

I see the Estate is also going after other people in this suit - see page 3. so far they are listed as Doe 1-10. but their real identities will be revealed as the Estate uncover them.

If they can uncover them. Doe doesn't mean that they would certainly add people to the lawsuit. It's if they can find any one related they'll add them.

Why does he feel he is entitled to the money made after MJ passed? I dont get it.

Managers are generally paid on the deals / the money they bring in. So basically as Tohme has arranged for Neverland and TII deal he claims he's entitled money from them. It's no different than John Landis / Ola Ray suing over their share from Thriller and Demann suing for his money from the time he was a manager.

Also there's a services agreement apparently that's too broad and Tohme is using them to ask for money for the things done after Michael's death as well.

----

Also for the lawyers - the lawsuit doesn't say Michael didn't have a lawyer, it says Michael didn't have an independent lawyer. They claim that Tohme hired and fired people as he pleased so the people he hired such as lawyer were under his authority and control. The claim is that Michael didn't have a lawyer that was independent from Tohme that could have said "this is a crap deal". And Michael had influenced by taking advantage of his situation and convincing these were customary - any many where customary but they had higher fees and broader authority.

Frank Dileo was brought in because Thome Thome didn't know squat about scheduling a Concert schedule for Michael. The 50 Show's were spread out more because of Frank working as Michael's Manager. Michael did fire Thome Thome after Thome Thome paid Julien's Auction House $2,000,000. Michael thought that was way too much money to pay Julien's Auction House, plus I'm not sure Michael wanted all his things auctioned off at the time. I'm sure he wanted his children to enjoy those things Michael had earned in his lifetime.

I thought L Londell McMillian was his lawyer, at least he was in 2007. I am so glad that the Estate is going to get to the bottom of Michael's financial affairs. Jermaine is behind Thome Thome entering Michael's life. "Neverland" was about to go into foreclosure in March of 2008.
"Creditors have foreclosed on Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch, which will be auctioned March 19 if the King of Pop doesn't pony up $24.5 million by that date, Fox News reports. If the sale goes through, Jackson would lose everything in the California house, including furniture and relics of its amusement park. He may let it go, Fox says: he beat it for Bahrain in 2005.

The sale would also mean losing a zoo he added to the 2,800-acre property, though animals were removed after Neverland was shuttered in 2006, Reuters says. Jackson lacks the funds to fight the foreclosure of the ranch, which he bought in 1988. Along with his publishing rights, already heavily leveraged, the ranch is one of Jackson’s two largest assets."

"Hayvenhurst" may have been on the chopping block next. Which may be why Jermaine went to Colony Capital or Thome Thome for help. Jermaine definitely has some 'splaining to do. There are definitely some legal issues going on. What are Colony Capital's plans for "Neverland" now that 3 years have gone by since Michael died? Michael trusted these people's expertise and it sounds like it wasn't in Michael's best interest financially.

Ever since Pepsi pulled out of Michael's life as his sponsor, Michael has had problems financially, since 1993. Michael settled out of court with Evan Chandler to make the bad publicity go away, but it seems that backfired. It worked for JC Penney's settling out of court with the Arvizo's, when they were caught for shoplifting and then turned around and said the security personnel groped Janet Arvizo. To avoid the bad publicity, JC Penney's settled out of court with the Arvizo's for $150,000 to avoid the bad publicity. Michael settling out of court with Evan Chandler, but this did not make the bad publicity go away. In fact, because of that action, Michael has dealt with shyster's ever since 1993.

I know we may not all feel the same way but personally I wish Michael had stuck to Dileo and Branca, whilst I know neither of them is perfect they did both seem fond of Michael and respected him. I must admit I do find it hard to believe that so many people managed to take advantage of Michael, not to mention all those lawsuits he was faced with, but I guess unless you have lived it it would be hard to understand.

I am very pleased the estate is cracking down on these people, my only concern is how much Michael's name and character will be dragged through the mud again.

Why do you think they sue so late? And isn`t it to late to sue for Tohme? I thought you must sue unitl 2 years after the death.

Why do you think they sue so late? And isn`t it to late to sue for Tohme? I thought you must sue unitl 2 years after the death.

they did not sue late, this has been an ongoing issue in probate court. Estate asking for property back and Tohme asking for money. It seems like they couldn't come to an agreement and they are asking the judge in probate court to make a decision.

and there's no set "2 year" rule. Statue of limitations change according to the crime/ allegations and discovery.

Back