MJ Estate Sues Tohme Tohme / Tohme Countersues / Tohme's Complaint [Merged]

Re: MJ Estate sues Tohme Tohme / Tohme countersues / Summary @pg 5

Something that still creeps me out in a big way is the fact of Thome was at the hospital when MJ passed away.

He wasnt his manager anymore. hadnt been for a while. He had nothing to do with anything.

So why was he there? How did he get there so fast? Had he been lurking outside the gates. Waiting for some opportunity to get back in...

This is disturbing.

In one year Tohme was using his undue influence to strip MJ of all his assets and belongings. First Nevy, then the art collection, then the unauthorised Julien auction, then the exorbitant and dodgy compensation fees, then a shady stake into MJ estate (15%). What has Tohme done in return for MJ to justify even a fraction of this?
It's a shame that Frank Dileo passed away...He would have made a great witness for the Estate since he came into the picture right after Tohme got the boot.

Too bad the entire letter isn't completely legible. I see the logo, "MJJ Kingdom," so I looked it up. It was a new "music production" company, headed up by Peter Lopez (yet this transaction doesn't have anything to do with music production?) The company was set up in August of 2008 (Tohme became Michael's manager in January, 2008). From the letter, looks like Michael was to sign prints of art-work, that Tohme would "market."

http://www.geniusmichaeljackson.com/en/companies.html

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Name: MJJ Kingdom LLC
Profile: Music production (Newly established, exact profile still unknown, headed by Peter M. Lopez from Kleinberg Lopez Lange Cuddy Edel & Klein LLP, legal firm: Robin C. Gilden from Reish Luftman Reicher & Cohen LLP)
Established: 08-08-2008

I am hoping that the FACT that Michael was unaware that everything at Neverland was going up for auction will mean that the 'art work debacle' will show that Tohme had no direct authority to do anything. That letter with the letterhead MJJ Kingdom LLC is only signed by Tohme and proves nothing (other than the man may have been going behind Michael's back yet again). Will reserve judgement until I see what Tohme is countersuing for and seeing what actual proof he has of any statement he makes. I know you shouldn't go by looks but I think the man looks very shifty.

Erikmjfan;3600901 said:
or if somone living in LA could be so kind to go the court and ask for a copy...

When this is the only possiblity to get the court-papers from Tohme I realy would appricate it when someone who lives in LA would be so kind to that. Or ist there a possiblity to ask someone of the press. They have the papers also, in some articles they give quotes from this paper.?

Jackson estate, ex-manager sue over earnings share
ANTHONY McCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer
Updated 05:57 p.m., Friday, February 17, 2012

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A legal war erupted Friday over earnings from Michael Jackson's estate with a former manager claiming a 15 percent stake and the singer's executors seeking to block any payments to the former adviser.

Attorneys for Jackson's estate and Tohme R. Tohme filed dueling cases over the adviser's claims that along with Jackson's mother and three children, he is entitled to a sizable share of the singer's post-death earnings. The estate has earned more than $300 million since Jackson's June 2009 death.

Jackson's estate claims Tohme used undue influence to get Jackson to sign several deals that lined his pockets and that he improperly gave away some of the singer's property. The contracts involved a refinancing of Jackson's debt related to Neverland Ranch and a producer's fee that Tohme negotiated for himself for Jackson's series of planned comeback concerts in London.

Tohme's lawsuit, filed in Santa Monica, Calif. claims he was influential in reviving Jackson's career after he was acquitted of child molestation charges. His lawsuit states he worked diligently to create "a financial and career strategy that would provide stability for Michael Jackson and his children."

Estate attorney Howard Weitzman wrote in a statement released Friday morning that he expected Tohme to file suit and that the estate was asking a probate judge to block the former adviser's claims.

"We believe the facts will show that Mr. Tohme's claims are meritless and that Mr. Tohme engaged in wrongdoing with respect to Michael Jackson starting early in their relationship," Weitzman wrote.

Tohme served as Jackson's manager from January 2008 until March 2009. His suit claims he was instrumental in getting the singer to move to Los Angeles to prepare for a career comeback and was key to the singer signing an agreement with AEG Live for a series of comeback concerts in London dubbed "This Is It."

Rehearsal footage was turned into a film of the same name, and Tohme was credited in the picture as Jackson's personal adviser.

Jackson's estate however contends that Tohme has improperly retained Jackson's property and financial records and forced the singer to sign unconscionable contracts. One of the deals, which dealt with the refinancing of debt on Neverland Ranch, called for Tohme to receive $2.3 million. Tohme also negotiated a producer's fee of $100,000 a month for the "This Is It" shows planned in London, although Jackson died before the concert series began.

This lawsuit is necessary to finally put a stop to abuse of fiduciary obligations owed to Jackson and seeks to unwind the self-serving and unconscionable agreements (Tohme) encouraged Jackson to enter into" and to compensate the estate for failing to return Jackson's property, the estate's complaint states.

Tohme's lawsuit notes that he returned $5.5 million to Jackson's estate in July 2009. He told The Associated Press at the time that the singer had stockpiled the money to purchase a "dream home" in Las Vegas.

Tohme and the estate have been battling over payments for more than a year.

___

Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...#ixzz1mi2J0air

Last edited:

His suit claims he was instrumental in getting the singer to move to Los Angeles to prepare for a career comeback and was key to the singer signing an agreement with AEG Live for a series of comeback concerts in London dubbed "This Is It."
So he thinks because he persuaded MJ to move to LA, he should be entitled to 15% of his earnings? This must be a joke.
Even John Branca and John Mclain don't get that kind of compensation and they are bringing in millions to the Estate.

Plus, The whole this is it concert series were annuled the moment MJ died. so, he can't claim compensation for that. everything regarding this is it went down the toilet. Of course, there was a movie released and soundtrack, but that was the result of a new negotiated contract between Sony, AEG and The Estate which John Branca helped put together. Tohme was long out of the picture by then. The executors did not get compensation of that new contract either. I believe they chose not to.

Last edited:
Something that still creeps me out in a big way is the fact of Thome was at the hospital when MJ passed away. He wasnt his manager anymore. hadnt been for a while. He had nothing to do with anything.So why was he there? How did he get there so fast? Had he been lurking outside the gates. Waiting for some opportunity to get back in...[/QUOTmaybe jerm rang him he prob thought he was still his manager

My point was that this is it should have been the focus and not seeing what else MJ can do as if this is it was't enough. Frank wanting to be paid indicates that he was interested in seeing what they can offer, obviously. So what I am trying to say is MJ already had enough on his plate.

Well, MJ work on several projects at the same time.

Not sure i get your point.

Didn't he have a Post it list of things he wanted to work on (including an Halloween special)while TII was in the works? ...how exactly did "ish hit the fan" by Frank agreeing to present their offer to his boss? As MJ's employee, he had the obligation to consult him with viable & potentially interesting projects. Michael had the FINAL word. As MJ always said..."I'm the captain of my ship"

Last edited:

So he thinks because he persuaded MJ to move to LA, he should be entitled to 15% of his earnings? This must be a joke.
Even John Branca and John Mclain don't get that kind of compensation and they are bringing in millions to the Estate..

I think this will be his argument: From page 5. The court-papers of the Estate.

- The agreement also said Tohme was to receive 15% of all gross compensations received by Michael for his services in the entertainment industry including live performances, merchandising, electronic arts, recorded and live telecasts, motion pictures, animation projects.

Mj went to L.A cause he agreed to do TII. its not like thome said move to l.a and u might get some work.

- The agreement also said Tohme was to receive 15% of all gross compensations received by Michael for his services in the entertainment industry including live performances, merchandising, electronic arts, recorded and live telecasts, motion pictures, animation projects.

The real question is: What services did Tohme render to MJ that warrant that kind of compensation? This is the reason why the Estate is asking Tohme to hand over the books to see what he's done in the 15 months he was employed by MJ. and so far he's refused to do so. That's because he knows he's cheated MJ to death.

MJ never got paid for this is it because the whole thing got axed the moment MJ died including the this it it contract. In fact MJ owed AEG in production cost for the this is it project. Plus, MJ never performed even 1 concert before he died. The compensation MJ received post-mortem strictly relate to deals arranged by the executors. Tohme has no claims in those.

Thome stayed low and was off radar a long time. It's great that the estate finally put some action. All these made me so angry. I also want to know how much jermaine got from all these.

The real question is: What services did Tohme render to MJ that warrant that kind of compensation? This is the reason why the Estate is asking Tohme to hand over the books to see what he's done in the 15 months he was employed by MJ. .

If Tohme would lose im sure he would say his dog ate those documents.

I can't believe Thome rewarded himself these crazy amounts of MJ's money... ha, during a time when the media kept reporting MJ was broke. Oh the irony

Last edited:

15% don't mean 15% of the crirque of shows, the video game. He is not ebntitled of 15% for life

Ivy do you think this letter will be considered sufficient evidence by the courts that Michael indeed gifted his art to BLS?

No Estate is challenging his POA and the powers in that POA. They argue that the POA doesn't give him the right to gift Michael's copyright.

Something that still creeps me out in a big way is the fact of Thome was at the hospital when MJ passed away.

According to Jermaine's book. Michael was to see Tohme to sign papers about a house he wanted to buy and Tohme was on his way to Michael's house and that's why he was at the hospital.

15% don't mean 15% of the crirque of shows, the video game. He is not ebntitled of 15% for life

The most recent AP story says Tohme is asking for 15% of Michael's posthumous (after death) income because he claims he rehabilitated Michael's image when he was alive with the TII and so on. I wish we saw Tohme's complaint but if what the media is reporting true that 15 % is quite a lot. And even if we limit the 15% to TII, the film grossed $260 M, 15% of it is $39 Million.

It's good that this is finally happening, but it;s said that it didn't happen sooner. :(

The most recent AP story says Tohme is asking for 15% of Michael's posthumous (after death) income because he claims he rehabilitated Michael's image when he was alive with the TII and so on. I wish we saw Tohme's complaint but if what the media is reporting true that 15 % is quite a lot. And even if we limit the 15% to TII, the film grossed $260 M, 15% of it is $39 Million.

How did he rehabilitate MJ's image when he was alive? This is so debatable. MJ's image in 2008 was not any better than in 2006. In fact it got worse with Nevy almost gone into foreclosure. we all know how the tabloids and the press pounced on MJ for that. And to add salt to injury Tohme got MJ to sign a dodgy Nevy deal with Colony Capital.

It's really funny. Raymond Baine also claimed the same thing in her dodgy $44m lawsuit. Even suggesting that she negotiated the doomed this is it tour and saved MJ from doom and gloom.

I see a really disturbing pattern here. These people were not working for MJ. They were working for themselves. In fact one could argue that MJ was working for them.

I am hoping that the FACT that Michael was unaware that everything at Neverland was going up for auction will mean that the 'art work debacle' will show that Tohme had no direct authority to do anything. That letter with the letterhead MJJ Kingdom LLC is only signed by Tohme and proves nothing (other than the man may have been going behind Michael's back yet again). Will reserve judgement until I see what Tohme is countersuing for and seeing what actual proof he has of any statement he makes. I know you shouldn't go by looks but I think the man looks very shifty.

That's a good point. The auction was, in my mind, the first sign of serious trouble in Michael's world. It was so TOTAL, right down to the gates of Neverland. It was like an Estate sale, that sometimes happens when someone has DIED. (mine was a minority opinion back then. Sadly, it often is?) This went on for awhile, catalogs were printed and shipped, and so on. And then there was the infamous "bloodshed" remark, to Julian's representatives. FINALLY, Michael surfaced, and that's when Tohme was fired. There was a hiatus, and then Branca/DiLeo were brought in, only eight days before Michael died. Not enough time to really do anything, or to correct anything Tohme had done/set in motion.

A termination letter was sent to Tohme, but he didn't seem to GET IT. There was an interview I remember (televised), where he said, "I am still in charge." Nope. And then there he WAS, at the hospital. (WHO told him to be there?)

But, that auction! In his lawsuit, Michael said he was being ROBBED! He was right. So putting that together with the letter Tohme wrote, should be interesting in court. It's not what Tohme SAYS that's important, but what he actually did. Inflated salary, POA (two of them), giving away a nearly priceless art collection, trying to sell the contents of Neverland right out from under Michael, and all the rest of it. And, that letter. Proves nothing, other than that's what Tohme SAID. Not what Michael said. His voice is nowhere in all of this. Except, his lawsuit to stop the auction. That should bear some weight in court?

That's a good point. The auction was, in my mind, the first sign of serious trouble in Michael's world. It was so TOTAL, right down to the gates of Neverland. It was like an Estate sale, that sometimes happens when someone has DIED. (mine was a minority opinion back then. Sadly, it often is?) This went on for awhile, catalogs were printed and shipped, and so on. And then there was the infamous "bloodshed" remark, to Julian's representatives. FINALLY, Michael surfaced, and that's when Tohme was fired. There was a hiatus, and then Branca/DiLeo were brought in, only eight days before Michael died. Not enough time to really do anything, or to correct anything Tohme had done/set in motion.

A termination letter was sent to Tohme, but he didn't seem to GET IT. There was an interview I remember (televised), where he said, "I am still in charge." Nope. And then there he WAS, at the hospital. (WHO told him to be there?)

But, that auction! In his lawsuit, Michael said he was being ROBBED! He was right. So putting that together with the letter Tohme wrote, should be interesting in court. It's not what Tohme SAYS that's important, but what he actually did. Inflated salary, POA (two of them), giving away a nearly priceless art collection, trying to sell the contents of Neverland right out from under Michael, and all the rest of it. And, that letter. Proves nothing, other than that's what Tohme SAID. Not what Michael said. His voice is nowhere in all of this. Except, his lawsuit to stop the auction. That should bear some weight in court?

Excellent analysis. :)

I don't see Thome's letter to Livingstone-Strong Notarized, which is to deter fraud. A notarized legal document, like a contract or oath of witness, is signed by one or more parties. The seal of the notary declares that at the time of the signing, each party presented legal identification and swore under penalty of perjury that the facts contained were accurate.

Here's an article reporting about Juliene's Auction House on March 5, 2009:

LOS ANGELES — Michael Jackson sued an auction house Wednesday to halt the scheduled sale of thousands of his personal possessions, an action the firm says caught it completely off-guard.

The King of Pop's company, MJJ Productions, filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday against Julien's Auction House. It claims founder Darren Julien promised to send Jackson an inventory of sale items, but that the singer hasn't given permission to move them all.

The suit claims many of the items are "priceless and irreplaceable" and describes the attempt to sell them as "malicious, fraudulent, extreme, outrageous and without any legal justification whatsoever."

Julien said Wednesday night that the lawsuit was a "total surprise to us, because Jackson had been apprised of everything since the day we started. His manager ... has approved everything."

In December, Julien's company announced it would administer a five-day auction in April featuring more than 2,000 of Jackson's personal items, including his American Music Award for "Thriller," a velvet cape given to him by his children for Father's Day in 1998, a pair of rhinestone-trimmed socks from 1981 and a basketball signed by Michael Jordan.

Platinum and gold records, a customized Harley Davidson, a Rolls Royce limousine and his own original artwork were also set for sale, according to the original announcement.

MJJ Productions authorized the auction house to remove the items from Jackson's Neverland Ranch, according to court documents, but not to sell them without Jackson's permission.

"There was no other intention when we picked up the items" but to put them up for sale, Julien said. He said that Jackson's camp had since requested some items be returned, which the firm honored.

"Up until two days ago we were working with his managers," including final details such as a date for the catalog to be ready and signed, he added.

Julien, who is in Ireland on a promotional trip and had not been served with the lawsuit, said he would be getting in touch with the Jackson camp before deciding what to do next."

Thome did take advantage of Michael during the time Thome was Michael's Business Manager, if this situation indicates anything. It sounds like Michael came to the realization of what Thome was pulling on him and finally dismissed him. Or so he thought!

Autumn, do you have a link to Michael's lawsuit against Julien's auction house?

According to Jermaine's book. Michael was to see Tohme to sign papers about a house he wanted to buy and Tohme was on his way to Michael's house and that's why he was at the hospital.

Again, if he was fired after the juliens auction thing then why had MJ the need to meet Thome for a house he wanted to buy, especially when he was not working for MJ anylonger.

Or I guess it has to do with the $5 million Thome had put away to buy a house for MJ and which he handed over to the Estate in july.

The probate papers have said that Michael was in the process of changing managers. So even Tohme had been fired it seems like he was still around in some capacity transferring stuff to Dileo. Also Tohme gave back $5 Million to Estate back saying that he was holding that for a house for Michael. So that part seems to fit as well. Estate's claim now is that he's holding more (money and property) than he said or returned.

he most recent AP story says Tohme is asking for 15% of Michael's posthumous (after death) income because he claims he rehabilitated Michael's image when he was alive with the TII and so on. I wish we saw Tohme's complaint but if what the media is reporting true that 15 % is quite a lot. And even if we limit the 15% to TII, the film grossed $260 M, 15% of it is $39 Million.
AEG wanted Michael, they said he was their first choice.
We wanted Michael.
I don´t think Tohme had to work hard on Michael´s image,

Re: MJ Estate sues Tohme Tohme

Unless he was under duress or mentally incapacitated...MJ should bear some of the responsibility.

Signing a contract without an attorney present is ridiculous. Especially for someone who's been in the biz all his life.

When it happens over and over and over and over again, i'd say that's the time to think most probably the next one will do the same.

Exactly.! Not so long ago a fawning media lauded MJ'S biz acumen, calling him the smartest entertainer.
We know what happened.!!!

Autumn, do you have a link to Michael's lawsuit against Julien's auction house?

Nope. Don't have time to hunt it up now,either. Sorry! I do know that there are PDFs of Tohme's counter-suit floating around, that could be found. He says he never told Julian's they could sell all of Michael's stuff. Mmmmkay? I think there are quotes from Michael's suit in various articles from that time (from legitimate sources). He said he was being ROBBED.

About the five million Tohme SAYS "Michael had put it away to buy a house?" That's Tohme's explanation. I doubt it's true. Why would it be? Five million dollars should be in a bank. The only reason I can see why Michael would want to hide it, would be to conceal it from the IRS, and that's not likely because when he bought a house, it would be obvious that he had that money. More likely is that Tohme ROBBED him, at some point, and came clean and returned the money when the Estate was commencing an audit. I think that then, he was afraid the loss would be discovered and he could be prosecuted for theft. Pretty sure Michael had no idea that money was gone, or that Tohme had it in his possession.

^^^^^^ yeah and MJ was going to tour in the UK for a long time and then there were plans to take the tour outside UK (the contract signed with TII crew were for two years right?)

So when did MJ have time to buy a house, less to live in that house when he was going to be away from the States/California for a long time?

For anyone wondering when/how Tohme got to UCLA on 6-25-09, he arrived with Randy Phillips. They were caught on pap video, and you can see it here from 1:00 to 2:05. (btw, according to a celeb real estate site, Tohme was contracted to purchase a $5.8M home in Beverly Hills as of June 29, 2009)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBWikirnvO0&feature=g-u-u&context=G2c6f7adFUAAAAAAAAAA

Aside from why he appeared to be running Jermaine's statement that day (here's the entire thing at UCLA's YT channel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVaEaDty5_Y

why did Tohme follow what is alleged to be Michael's body all the way to the helicopter at UCLA? (I say “alleged to be Michael” because it appears far too large and the news anchor “can not confirm” that it is actually Michael)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3NLmHZO2XE&feature=related

Whenever Thome's around, something stinks.

,In general, I think that "we" are far too accepting, and far too complacent, about the truth about what happened to one that we LOVE. IMHO, we should not "settle." But no, I am not a "hoax" theorist. Sorry, but he really is gone. Instead, I think we should look with a critical eye at absolutely everyone around him, in those last few months, or even years? We are not REALLY fans of his "hangers on" and "enablers?" Are we? Michael's family is not seeking the truth, whatever that might be? Hell's bells, they are not even seeking restitution, from Murray .. . .

Instead, I look at absolutely everyone and everything with a critical eye, and I AM a researcher. I knew the instant I saw those photos of Michael and Tohme in London, that something was terribly wrong. He was HURTING him, he was grabbing his arm so tightly. And then, ta dah! Tohme was gone, and Frank was IN, after years of trying to get back IN. For crap's sake, he even attended the trial, and, reportedly, from fans who were there, SLEPT through the whole thing. I doubt that he'd even spoken to Michael, for YEARS. And, he was NOT his "manager," as he represented to AGE, in 2008. Sure, mine is NOT a popular opinion. I'll just say, that I am NOT a passenger on the Frank DiLeo "love train." Why break a trend, of those who shit on Michael? (digressive, and I will NOT discuss, although I have researched this. And blessings to those who loved Frank, and sorry for their loss. . )

Michael deserved so much better than he got. But, karma may be a slow roll, but it DOES roll.

Last edited:

How did he rehabilitate MJ's image when he was alive? This is so debatable. MJ's image in 2008 was not any better than in 2006. In fact it got worse with Nevy almost gone into foreclosure. we all know how the tabloids and the press pounced on MJ for that. And to add salt to injury Tohme got MJ to sign a dodgy Nevy deal with Colony Capital.

It's really funny. Raymond Baine also claimed the same thing in her dodgy $44m lawsuit. Even suggesting that she negotiated the doomed this is it tour and saved MJ from doom and gloom.

I see a really disturbing pattern here. These people were not working for MJ. They were working for themselves. In fact one could argue that MJ was working for them.

Passy I was going to ask the same questions--how has Thome rehabilitated Michael's image? Negotiating a deal with Colony and Juliens does not help rehab someone's image. It seems there is a pattern to work with Michael in order to fleece him of his assets, because Michael is a giving person. From the suite it seems Thome had a primary plan to get as much money from Michael as possible before he was let go, so Thome is no different from many of the stars' managers, brokers, and handlers who steal millions from them.

About the TII title, I thought Michael simply told the audience that this show was the last show by saying "This is it guys." As a result they named the documentary This Is It. To me, there was not a plan to call the show at the O2 "This Is It." Those of you who had tickets to the O2, was the name on the ticket This Is It? We have different taking credit for this as well.

Back