My Next Book: Michael Jackson, Inc. Zack O'Malley Greenburg, Forbes Staff

Petrarose;4018204 said:
Memefan your idea of a QA is good. I would like to see one, and please ask all the questions you have about why Zack did not include all the aspects you were looking for. It would be interesting to see what he has to say. Maybe you can send your questions to his facebook address or something like that. Anyway this is the first book of its kind, maybe we will have another one that is even better than this. At least we got the first one.

True power and money go hand in hand, but don't forget we are talking about what motivates the person, so motivation can still be power or being the best rather than money. Some want both power and money.

About your question can one be powerful without money--but of course. Gandhi was powerful without money. Nelson, before he became president was powerful without money. How about the rebels who have leaders that lack money but everyone in the community and the poor see them as powerful and follow their lead. These people have others more powerful than them, but that is not the point, you are asking if one could have power without money.

Ha strange! In my last post I gad made the parallel between the Dalai Lama (influential) and the Pope aka Catholic Church (powerful) but deleted the whole paragraph because religion us often a touchy subject.

i just re-read Oxford definition of "Poweful" because both Gandhi & Mondela middle of the road for me.

1.1Having control and influence over people and events:
the world’s most powerful nation

1.2Having a strong effect on people’s feelings or thoughts:
his photomontages are powerful anti-war images

To me, having control over xyz is an integral part to being powerful, so definition 1.1 is closer to my understanding of the word. ...but I can see your point if I apply definition 1.2.

Memefan I see you wanted to get the information about the settlement after the split with Lisa. I thought she did not want anything? Now I see more clearly what you were looking for. You wanted more money details, where it went, where it came from; you wanted to know about particular companies how they were set up and why; how his charity contributions impacted on his tax return & money and about how much was given to charity; how certain deals were created; how the allegations affected his finances; how legal settlements affected his money and about how much was paid in settlements. Am I right about these things?

Now here is a question for you. When Zack was sending information about the book when he was doing his research or lack of it, why didn't you send such comments to him. I remember I made a comment (can't remember what it was now) and a fan who seemed to be in touch with him on the internet said she would relay it to him. I noticed in the interview in this thread that he said he had to narrow down the information and take a particular direction. What I am getting, as I said before, is that he decided to give a more layman's perspective so that the book will be an easy read for the average person. Maybe he did not want a purely business book because he felt more people would buy it if it was an easy read. I also get the feeling he is using his own resources to get information for the book and working in his spare time and is not relying too much on Forbes resources.

I think you should send your input to him so that he can do another book in the future and tidy up some of the issues. I know Vogel had some errors and fans contacted him and he said he would correct them. Maybe Vogel will write another book too. Something that I was always curious about was how Neverland was treated for tax purposes. I mean he lived there, but used it as a charitable venue. The sick visited for free and were fed, so I always wondered if his accountants identified a certain part of the expenses as a charitable expense or business expense? I know the place cost millions to upkeep, but it always seemed to me that all the expenses were coming directly out of his pocket and that he had no deductions. I was just curious about that.

Anyway your experience with the book makes me know to just read it for what it is.

Memefan I see you wanted to get the information about the settlement after the split with Lisa. I thought she did not want anything? Now I see more clearly what you were looking for. You wanted more money details, where it went, where it came from; you wanted to know about particular companies how they were set up and why; how his charity contributions impacted on his tax return & money and about how much was given to charity; how certain deals were created; how the allegations affected his finances; how legal settlements affected his money and about how much was paid in settlements. Am I right about these things?

Now here is a question for you. When Zack was sending information about the book when he was doing his research or lack of it, why didn't you send such comments to him. I remember I made a comment (can't remember what it was now) and a fan who seemed to be in touch with him on the internet said she would relay it to him. I noticed in the interview in this thread that he said he had to narrow down the information and take a particular direction. What I am getting, as I said before, is that he decided to give a more layman's perspective so that the book will be an easy read for the average person. Maybe he did not want a purely business book because he felt more people would buy it if it was an easy read. I also get the feeling he is using his own resources to get information for the book and working in his spare time and is not relying too much on Forbes resources.

I think you should send your input to him so that he can do another book in the future and tidy up some of the issues. I know Vogel had some errors and fans contacted him and he said he would correct them. Maybe Vogel will write another book too. Something that I was always curious about was how Neverland was treated for tax purposes. I mean he lived there, but used it as a charitable venue. The sick visited for free and were fed, so I always wondered if his accountants identified a certain part of the expenses as a charitable expense or business expense? I know the place cost millions to upkeep, but it always seemed to me that all the expenses were coming directly out of his pocket and that he had no deductions. I was just curious about that.

Anyway your experience with the book makes me know to just read it for what it is.

This wasn't about LMP. Someone asked if Kingdom Entertainment was covered in the book. I replied yes, within the LMP. But I added in regards to KE, Greenburg didn't provide much details like, how much capital MJ invested to launch KE, the ownership split between MJ and the Prince....

That last line was about KE, not MJJ & LMP's divorce settlement.

And I agree, he tried to cover too much. I wish, unless really necessary, he had stayed away from MJ's personal life. Can you imagine a book on Warren Buffet's financial accomplishments, where the author would write about whether his marriage had been consummated or not? I can't.

Petrarose;4017782 said:
Any news about sales? I know about the acknowledgement on Amazon. Congratulations Zack, and know that it is due to Michael that you got that. After all Michael is the subject matter.

I notice that these non-sensational books about Michael get awards, like Bush's book. I hope that gives others the idea of focusing books about Michael away from the usual foolishness.

Elizabeth @StatenStories · 6 h.

Hey guys, Michael Jackson Inc. is #2 in Music Business books! Give it some review love http://amzn.to/1pbthGl @zogblog

weLoveMJImmortal @mjThisisitlove · 20 h.
Wow. Just saw this on @hancom_books FB page. @zogblog's Michael Jackson, Inc. cover!
BpzyJpRCMAA940t.jpg:large

weLoveMJImmortal @mjThisisitlove · 2 h.

Great review for @zogblog's @michaeljackson, Inc.

BqWJ3hdCQAAN2Yx.jpg:large

The Night Bon Jovi Met Michael Jackson

3:00 AM PDT 6/25/2014 by Zack O'Malley Greenburg

On the five-year anniversary of Michael Jackson's death, author Zack O'Malley Greenburg demonstrates the late superstar's work ethic with an anecdote from his new book, in which the Jersey rockers get a visit from Bubbles the Chimp.

An unlikely encounter between the King of Pop and the Jersey rockers, revealed here for the first time, offers a rare glimpse into the private world of Michael Jackson — and sheds light on the other-worldly work ethic that helped him earn over $1 billion in his life. Adapted from Michael Jackson, Inc: The Rise, Fall and Rise of A Billion-Dollar Empire (Atria Books, June 2014).

In September of 1987, Jon Bon Jovi and his eponymous band were still riding the buzz of Slippery When Wet, which had catapulted the group to international superstardom a year earlier. They were playing a handful of shows in Tokyo’s 20,000-seat Budokan arena while Michael Jackson drew 135,000 fans over a sold-out three-night stand at nearby Korakuen Stadium. As it happened, they were all staying at the same hotel.

One night, [Jackson manager Frank] Dileo called and asked if Bon Jovi would like to meet Jackson, an invitation the rocker gladly accepted. The hotel was shaped like a hand, with the palm containing an elevator bank. The fingers radiated outward, each its own wing with multiple rooms; on the top floor, one wing was blocked off for Jackson and his inner circle.

Dileo led Bon Jovi and his bandmates down a long corridor to the singer’s suite, pausing to slick back his hair and extinguish his cigar before opening the door.

“The room had been ripped to shreds and redecorated,” says Bon Jovi. “They put up mirrors against the wall so [Jackson] could practice his dancing, and a wooden dance floor in there. And they took over a wing of this hotel. Needless to say, spending money was not really an issue.”

Jackson, however, was nowhere to be found. So Bon Jovi and his pals waited on the couch. When the singer finally arrived, he made quite the entrance, decked out in one of his trademark outfits from the Bad Tour: all black leather and buckles, a spandex shirt, belts draped over his shoulder. “When he entered the room, your eyes sort of had to focus again,” Bon Jovi remembers.

The Jersey rockers, fresh from a string of tour dates in Australia — and new to the trappings of superstardom — immediately began regaling Jackson with tales from their trip. They were so big Down Under, they told him, that they had to buy wigs and fake mustaches to avoid paparazzi; the only way out of their hotel was in the laundry van. Jackson smiled and nodded, never giving away the fact that he’d been doing the same since his Jackson 5 days.

“So we made small talk and he couldn’t have been nicer,” Bon Jovi says. “We kept saying, ‘Michael, you’re sitting up here by yourself, man, we’re down two floors below you . . . we’re all here, on nights off we’re hanging out, come on down.’ ”

Again, Jackson smiled and nodded. Eventually Bon Jovi and his band bid their new friend adieu and headed back downstairs, hoping they might get to party later on with one of the only acts in the world bigger than them. But with each passing minute, they grew more certain that Jackson wouldn’t be coming. Imagine their surprise when Jackson sent down Bubbles the chimpanzee to entertain them.

“We proceeded to get very drunk, have a bunch of water fights, knock on doors, typical classic rock star things to do in the eighties,” Bon Jovi recalls. “And [we] blamed it all on Bubbles.”
Jackson never came downstairs. And despite the fact that Bon Jovi showed up at Jackson’s show, the singer didn’t return the favor.

It wasn’t out of any personal animosity, but rather an unstoppable focus on his work.

“We were having a blast two floors below with Bubbles, and he was up there practicing his dancing,” says Bon Jovi. “While we were being goofballs and enjoying our success, he was practicing even after the shows because he was just so ultra-über-focused on being Michael Jackson. The blessing was the curse.”

Adapted from Michael Jackson, Inc. with permission from the author. The book is available in bookstores and online: http://mjinc.co

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/night-bon-jovi-met-michael-714766

How Michael Jackson Earned Over $700 Million Since His Death
Zack O'Malley Greenburg

Add up the earnings of Jay Z, Taylor Swift and Kanye West since 2009, and the total is $544 million. It’s an astounding sum, but Michael Jackson has earned more than all three—combined—since his death five years ago.

The King of Pop has pulled in over $700 million during that span, more than any artist dead or alive, and he shows no signs of slowing down. His latest postmortem release, Xscape, debuted at No. 2 on the charts in May; weeks later, a virtual Michael Jackson moonwalked across the stage at the Billboard Music Awards.

“ He was the definition of what a superstar was ,” explained Christopher “Ludacris” Bridges in an interview for my book, Michael Jackson, Inc. “There’s an intangible energy whenever you listen to his music that you can’t even explain.”

It seems only fitting that Jackson is now changing the definition of what’s possible for an entertainer to achieve in the years after his passing. The King of Pop’s postmortem earnings have come from a variety of sources, ranging from traditional to revolutionary.

First, there’s his music. In the immediate aftermath of his death in 2009, Jackson’s hits returned to heavy rotation and scores of fans rushed out to load up on his records. By the end of the year, he had sold 8.3 million albums in the U.S. alone—nearly double the total of runner-up Taylor Swift—especially impressive considering that Jackson typically sells two units abroad for every one stateside.

It was those sorts of numbers that convinced Sony to shell out a quarter of a billion dollars for a new ten-year record deal for Jackson, the largest of all time. That pact is responsible for the postmortem releases that play a part in continuing to keep Jackson in the spotlight, a key to a successful afterlife for any entertainer.

“They are no longer here to give performances or interviews,” said entertainment attorney Donald David, who has represented the postmortem interests of late rapper Tupac Shakur. “Thus, the secret is to keep the deceased star in the public’s mind.”

In that vein, Jackson has also continued to do exactly that via two Cirque du Soleil shows based on his work: Immortal and One. The former has grossed over $300 million since its launch in 2011, while the latter could add as much as $30-40 million to the bottom line of Jackson’s estate in the years to come.

Other boons to Jackson’s financial afterlife include a new multimillion-dollar endorsement deal with Pepsi, a video game created by Ubisoft, and the concert film This Is It, which grossed over $260 million worldwide.

Unbeknownst to many, Jackson’s own underrated business savvy has played a crucial part in generating such massive earnings over the past five years. His 50% stake in the Sony/ATV music catalog, the product of a savvy investment in 1985 (more on that here) generates eight-figure dividends for his estate to this day. Jackson’s own publishing rights, which he wisely retained throughout his career, also add millions annually.

“ Michael Jackson had the mindset of being a businessman the whole time by acquiring businesses ,” said former Def Jam chief Kevin Liles, himself involved in a wide range of ventures, in Michael Jackson, Inc. “[It was like] the Michael Jackson private equity firm.”

Jay Z, Taylor Swift and Kanye West should take note.

For more about the business of the King of Pop, check out my new book, Michael Jackson, Inc: The Rise, Fall and Rise of a Billion-Dollar Empire. You can also follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackoma...kson-earned-over-700-million-since-his-death/

Zack O. Greenburg @zogblog · 2 h ago

This made my week -- "@MichaelJackson, Inc" named one of year's top 10 books by New York Observer -- http://observer.com/2014/12/ryan-holiday-picks-the-best-books-of-2014/ …

Michael Jackson, Inc.: The Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of a Billion Dollar Empire, by Zack O’Malley Greenburg

One measure of quality in a book is how quickly you read it (provided that it’s not short, obviously). I read this one in a day after emailing Zack (who I know) to request a copy. I loved his first book on Jay-Z, and this one is just as good, if not better. It is not a biography but a business book, with Michael Jackson as the business model. This is certainly appropriate considering the man’s estate has grossed nearly $1 billion since Jackson passed away five years ago (or was murdered, depending on your opinion) largely based on investments Jackson made early on in his career. Most famously he bought most of the Beatles catalog, along with thousands of other songs over the years. His understanding of music publishing was unparalleled, and his timing even better. As Zack points out, his investment in the Beatles catalog in 1985 at the rates he purchased it at is on par with buying Apple stock at the IPO. There are a lot of interesting interviews and sources in the book that give you a good sense of the business strategy behind his many decisions. I also learned that most of his weird persona was the result of a P.T. Barnum-esque marketing campaign. I would have loved to see more criticism (of things other than his spending), but other than that, this is a great business book and I wish there were more like it.

Read more at http://observer.com/2014/12/ryan-holiday-picks-the-best-books-of-2014/#ixzz3MNOjx7Xc
Follow us: @newyorkobserver on Twitter | newyorkobserver on Facebook

Q&A: Zack O’Malley Greenburg, ‘Michael Jackson, Inc.’

http://soultrain.com/2014/05/29/qa-zack-omalley-greenburg-michael-jackson-inc/?t=Q
May 29, 2014 · 4 Comments
Culture · Tagged: Berry Gordy, Culture, Forbes, LaShawn Williams, Michael Jackson Inc., Michael Jackson the businessman, The Beatles’ catalog, Zack O’Malley Greenburg

MJ INC BOOK COVERThroughout his lifetime, books written about Michael Jackson have typically, and often repeatedly, covered the peaks and valleys and scandalous aspects of his life and career; however, for Forbes senior editor Zack O’Malley Greenburg, there is another side of Jackson worthy of exploring.

In Michael Jackson, Inc., through interviews and stories from several of Jackson’s personal and professional connections like Berry Gordy, Teddy Riley and Jackson family members, Greenburg uncovers, in intimate detail, why Michael Jackson the businessman deserves equal recognition as Michael Jackson the entertainer.

SoulTrain.com spoke with Greenburg to discuss his book that covers the highs and lows of many of Jackson’s key business moves, his influence on the entertainment industry at-large, and the intimate details and long-term effects of his acquisition of The Beatles’ music catalog.

SoulTrain.com: When you began to research and write this book, what was the big picture like for you?
ZACK O GREENBURG

Zack O’Malley Greenburg

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: The inspiration for Michael Jackson, Inc. came out of covering the business of Michael Jackson for Forbes. After he died, I really started to notice that there was this incredible amount of cash being generated by everything related to the King of Pop and the more I followed the story, the more I realized that it was a result of business deals he made during his life, the moves he made, and the empire he built. It set me on the path of trying not to look at his financial life after death but look at his entire career from a business perspective, and the kind of moves he made and how it revolutionized entertainment.

SoulTrain.com: You spoke with many of his professional connections; how were you able to narrow it down to those included in the book? Was there anyone you wanted to talk to but couldn’t?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: It was definitely a tough process to whittle everything down into a manageable amount. There are so many people connected to his life, but I thought one of the important things to do was to condense and simplify this massive web of business connections he had over his entire life. I tried to hone in on the most relevant characters and streamline everything without sacrificing any of the specificity and detail. There are people I would’ve liked to talk to—Diana Ross is one. But Diana Ross and Quincy Jones have done so much on Michael and have talked about him so much, that I think they’re kind of tired of it! But I got to talk to a ton of people like Berry Gordy, Walter Yetnikoff, Pharrell Williams, Sheryl Crow and Jon Bon Jovi. There are a lot of juicy little anecdotes that haven’t been reported yet and I’m really excited for it to see the light of day.

SoulTrain.com: When it came to the fundamentals of business, he both directly and indirectly learned a lot from industry titans like Berry Gordy, of course, and John H. Johnson. Who would you say he pulled or drew from the most?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: I think Berry Gordy was really his first inspiration when it came to business. Berry told me that when he was at Motown, he was kind of doing everything simultaneously; he’d be in the studio but he’d be taking calls all the time and doing business deals. And Michael—everybody told me—was just a sponge for knowledge. He’d soak up everything and sit there and watch and listen. Berry Gordy told me that would happen a lot and young Michael would be just sitting there watching and taking it all in. I think he learned a lot by osmosis in that way.

SoulTrain.com: You note that Smokey Robinson didn’t exactly deem Joe Jackson a businessman, at least in the technical sense of the word. Surely though, beginning with the Jackson 5 and up to a certain point, Michael Jackson picked up some business know-how from his father, no?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: His father was definitely persistent. And I think that was a really important part. He pushed his kids towards perfection and that’s something that definitely stuck with Michael, for better or worse. So for sure, I think there were lessons he got from his dad, too.

SoulTrain.com: The Jackson 5 and The Jacksons made several appearances on Soul Train; in addition, Michael was interviewed by Don Cornelius many times on the show. Given this, do you think that perhaps he also observed Cornelius who, of course, was also known for his outstanding business acumen?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: That’s a good point. To be honest, that’s an angle I didn’t get a chance to explore but that certainly wouldn’t surprise me.

SoulTrain.com: To this day, Michael Jackson’s purchase of The Beatles’ catalog remains one of the biggest and most often discussed business entertainment stories ever. In the book, you note how the air surrounding this acquisition became turbulent, with many, including Jackson himself, noting that not everyone was thrilled with his ownership of it. Can you speak on this?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: Michael Jackson’s purchase of the Beatles catalog for $47.5 million is probably one of the greatest deals made in the history of the music business. Today, his stake, which is half of the Sony/ATV entity, is probably worth about $2 billion. That’s such an incredible return on investment. The thing was, at the time, people thought he was crazy and this was one of the things I found in reporting for the book: A lot of his close advisors, really successful people in the music business, thought that he was paying an outrageous sum of money and this would never be a good deal for him. But the way he looked at it was that this was like a fine work of art—like a Picasso—and in his mind, you couldn’t really put a value on something like that. It was priceless. He said these were the greatest songs of all time and he was going to get them. He made a note to [his attorney] John Branca who was negotiating with the Australian billionaire who owned the Beatles catalog—the note said, “John, please let’s not negotiate; it’s MY CATALOG.” I think that was really a turning point; not just for his business career but for entertainment, as well, where you see entertainers sort of start to go essentially from performing to being owners and employers.

SoulTrain.com: With the purchase of the Beatles catalog being a very major move, how would you say it impacted his other business ventures?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: Subsequent to that, he did a lot of things in the late 80s and early 90s, like launching his own clothing line, shoe line and record label. These things didn’t necessarily take off for him, but earned him tens of millions of dollars anyway, and it really paved the way for the likes of Diddy, Jay-Z and acts like that to have gone on to make those kinds of things almost a prerequisite for success in the music world. A lot of that dates back to Michael Jackson taking the idea of monetizing fame and completely revolutionizing it and coming up with all of these different ways artists could prosper from their celebrity.

SoulTrain.com: The book notes how Michael Jackson’s showman side and businessman side intersected when it came to his perfectionist mentality. From a business standpoint, would you say that way of thinking was a help? A hindrance?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: I think it’s a little bit of both. When you’re driven to be the best all the time, particularly when the standard is one you’ve already set (like with Thriller), it can sometimes be very hard to top it. By definition, it’s nearly impossible to top the greatest of anything; I mean, it’s the greatest for a reason. Thriller was the greatest selling album of all time and it’s certainly an incredible work, musically. He was obsessed with topping that from both standpoints and I think it was really damaging to him when the sales figures and the reviews for his albums weren’t quite up to that standard. I think he was very consumed with the desire to top Thriller in all possible aspects and I think that led to him sometimes delaying albums to perfect them, which in turn had an impact on some of his outside business ventures that were supposed to be picked up with the launch of these albums. I think that was definitely a theme throughout his career.

SoulTrain.com: From his die-hard to casual fans, it seems not everyone knew about his corporate savvy. Why do you think his business sense wasn’t acknowledged like his showmanship was?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: I think the negative publicity around him later in his life, starting with the [sexual molestation] allegations in the early 90s and going forward through to the end of his life, really overshadowed all the good things. Particularly, from a financial standpoint, I think because the media was so fixated on his financial woes and in many cases, was kind of overseeing them, that it really wiped away the truth, which was that he was quite a savvy businessman. The only reason why he was able to rack up such a large amount of debt was that he had such a vast amount of assets and was worth so much on paper because of his business savvy. He had the collateral that he needed to take out those loans; he really was like a corporation in and of himself. There are plenty of corporations out there that are worth about half as much as their assets and I think mainstream media isn’t used to that and weren’t able to grasp that in their conceptualization of him and his career.

SoulTrain.com: You detail how involved Michael Jackson was with the hip-hop community—how he often had conversations with the likes of 50 Cent and Nas—and even how R&B and hip-hop producer Rodney Jerkins learned from him how to buy catalogs. Can you expound on his connection to hip-hop?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: I think that’s another one of the things that comes out in this book—Michael Jackson’s impact on hip-hop. A lot of the guys I talked to—including Pharrell Williams, Swizz Beatz, 50 Cent, Nas and Diddy—all these guys will tell you that they grew up idolizing Michael Jackson and they will also tell you that he was up on every kind of music, in particularly, hip-hop, right up until the very end of his life. Diddy actually told me Michael Jackson knew hip-hop like he was born in the South Bronx in the 80s. He lived and breathed it, from the music to the dancing. He even featured The Notorious B.I.G. on HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I in ‘95 before he had really even ascended to the heights that he eventually did. He knew what was going on, he paid attention, and I fully believe that if he were around today, making new music, he would have continued to work with some of the big hip-hop acts. At the time of his death, he was working with Swizz Beatz and he was having conversations with Pharrell and Nas. I think hip-hop was a huge part of Michael Jackson.

SoulTrain.com: Through researching or writing this book, did anything surprise you along the way?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: I think one of the things I didn’t quite realize was just how focused Michael Jackson became on making a film career for himself in Hollywood. We started to see that with The Wiz, obviously, and then going forward with Captain EO and so forth. Around the time the allegations really turned his career upside down in the early 90s, he was well into a couple of huge movie deals. He had a couple of things in development that were going to be really big and there are some details on that in the book. I fully believe he would’ve accomplished it if it hadn’t been for the allegations because after that happened, he just became somebody who the studios didn’t really want to associate with. I really think that he could’ve had sort of an “Elvis-like” aspect to his career, as far as on the screen goes.

SoulTrain.com: What would you like readers to take away from the book?

Zack O’Malley Greenburg: I want people to get that Michael Jackson was not only the greatest entertainer of all time but that he was really as much a revolutionary when it came to the business of entertainment as he was when it came to the performance aspect.

Michael Jackson, Inc. launches June 3; for more information, visit Amazon.com.

—LaShawn Williams

LaShawn Williams is a Chicago-based freelance writer and former Arts & Culture Editor for Gapers Block. She is an arts and entertainment enthusiast with immense love for stand-up comedy, music and dance. Follow her on Twitter at @MsWilliamsWorld.

it Will be interesting to compare Zacks book about Michael and HIS real music billion dollar empire to non-music billion dolar empire of 3 Kings: Diddy, Dr. Dre, Jay-Z, and Hip-Hop's Multibillion-Dollar Rise

Today, it so easy to call anybody King and the greatest or whatever... and those so.called 3 Kings have made their "billion empire" of anything else but - not music.

51hB7PtQiWL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Tracing the careers of hip-hop's three most dynamic stars, this deeply reported history brilliantly examines the entrepreneurial genius of the first musician tycoons: Diddy, Dr. Dre, and Jay-Z

Being successful musicians was simply never enough for the three kings of hip-hop. Diddy, Dr. Dre, and Jay-Z lifted themselves from childhood adversity into tycoon territory, amassing levels of fame and wealth that not only outshone all other contemporary hip-hop artists, but with a combined net worth of well over $2 billion made them the three richest American musicians, period. Yet their fortunes have little to do with selling their own albums: between Diddy's Ciroc vodka, Dre's $3 billion sale of his Beats headphones to Apple, and Jay-Z's Tidal streaming service and other assets, these artists have transcended pop music fame to become lifestyle icons and moguls.

Hip-hop is no longer just a musical genre; it's become a way of life that encompasses fashion, film, food, drink, sports, electronics and more - one that has opened new paths to profit and to critical and commercial acclaim. Thanks in large part to the Three Kings-who all started their own record labels and released classic albums before moving on to become multifaceted businessmen-hip-hop has been transformed from a genre spawned in poverty into a truly global multibillion-dollar industry.

These men are the modern embodiment of the American Dream, but their stories as great thinkers and entrepreneurs have yet to be told in full. Based on a decade of reporting, and interviews with more than 100 sources including hip-hop pioneers Russell Simmons and Fab 5 Freddy; new-breed executives like former Def Jam chief Kevin Liles and venture capitalist Troy Carter; and stars from Swizz Beatz to Shaquille O'Neal, 3 Kings tells the fascinating story of the rise and rise of the three most influential musicians in America.

Review
Praise for 3 Kings
"There is no keener, more knowledgeable and scintillating observer of the modern cultural scene than Zack Greenburg. He proves it with this definitive, absorbing history of hip-hop and its three mega-giants. It reads better than an adventure novel and provides highly useful entrepreneurial lessons for anyone who wants to achieve success."?Steve Forbes, Editor-in-Chief of Forbes

"Hip-hop is one of the most significant cultural forces of the past half-century, not just in music but in art, fashion, film, technology, politics and business. Greenburg provides a comprehensive review of hip-hop history on all fronts. It will inspire newcomers and deepen the appreciation of aficionados, while explaining just how hip-hop took its current place on the world stage."?Arianna Huffington, founder of Thrive Global and Huffington Post

"I've been blessed to work with Diddy, Jay-Z and Dr. Dre, and let me be honest: 3 Kings gives you the major keys to how the biggest bosses on the planet keep winning."?DJ Khaled, recording artist and entrepreneur

"Greenburg's narrative traces how the titular kings' trajectories transformed a music genre into a global juggernaut that's equal parts industry, culture and movement. There are copious lessons here in bringing ferocious energy to a concept--and honing that concept for the masses--that will serve would-be moguls in any arena."?Kathryn Dill, Careers Editor, CNBC

"Finance is a central focus in hip-hop, but few writers have the facts and figures to discuss it credibly. Greenburg demystifies three iconic rap artists who these days make most of their money apart from rap. It's a well-constructed analysis that you don't need to be an expert to appreciate."?Ben Westhoff, author of Original Gangstas

"Plain and simple: I'm just a diehard fan."?Kevin Olusola, Grammy-winning member of Pentatonix

"A vividly clear depiction of the commercial empires built by Diddy, Jay-Z, and Dr. Dre. The book documents their humble beginnings, their rise to fame and illustrates the important connection to the pioneers who paved the way for their success... an exceptional read."?Rocky Bucano, President of the Universal Hip-Hop Museum

"If Jay-Z, Diddy, and Dr. Dre are shrouded in mystery and inclined towards self-mythologizing, Greenburg does one of the most difficult things a reporter can do: he artfully chronicles their ascent, carefully accounts for their fortunes, and renders moguls as actual flesh and blood mortals. It reaffirms his bona fides as the preeminent journalist covering the business of hip-hop."?Jeff Weiss, author of Biggie vs 2pac

"Greenburg reveals a blueprint for how billions were made by and for the artists themselves. An excellent read and a valuable education for entrepreneurs, industry insiders, outsiders, and music aficionados."?Josh Davis, author of Two Awesome Hours

"Greenburg has become one of the rare reporters to bring dignified coverage of the hip-hip business into the mainstream."?Dan Charnas, author of The Big Payback

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0316316539/ref=pe_2427140_273420290_nrn_title

Last edited:
Back