New Album Coming Soon? Orianthi Currently Working on Posthumous Project

If You Don't Love Me in my opinion sounds great BUT needs another verse or two... Who knows maybe Mike would have gave It a more 'proper' format if it had a large release.. But i'm glad it was not on a formal/traditional album the way It was...

Wow, seems I missed a big movement in MJ land! I seriously hope that Pharrell Williams is on board this time for the production. :D

If You Don't Love Me in my opinion sounds great BUT needs another verse or two... Who knows maybe Mike would have gave It a more 'proper' format if it had a large release.. But i'm glad it was not on a formal/traditional album the way It was...
I agree. I like the song but it's just missing something for me. It was obviously not quite brought to where it could be, but you can hear the potential in it.

Since when does an archive release and or re-release have to sell as much as an entirely new l.p. in order to be justified for a release?! Since when does it have to sell as much as whatever in order for justification?! Lord! The thing ("Dangerous 25") has to be done soon and or over the next year anyway because it can't be done later. Anything else can wait years.

^^Since it became obvious to the world and his dog that the estate/Sony are primarily focused on making as much money as humanly possible.

Edit: If they do a Dangerous 25 I'll give them credit for it, but was it ever on their agenda to begin with? The usual rules don't apply to the Quincy albums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when does an archive release and or re-release have to sell as much as an entirely new l.p. in order to be justified for a release?! Since when does it have to sell as much as whatever in order for justification?! Lord! The thing ("Dangerous 25") has to be done soon and or over the next year anyway because it can't be done later. Anything else can wait years.

Archive releases don't need to be million+ sellers to be justified unless they are as extensive as you seem to hope.

Bad25 was the Estate's most extensive and detailed release yet (and arguably their best), and that almost certainly lost money. Dangerous25, then, would likely amount to a 2-CD set with a few bonus tracks thrown on.

No concerts. No worldwide promotion. Just a low key fan-aimed release.

I would die for an expansive Bad25-type set as much as anyone on here - trust me. But logically it doesn't seem to be in the cards. Dangerous25 has a very minuscule chance of happening and/or being announced by year's end.

A studio LP is an almost guaranteed success, and is far better than any anniversary reissue. I choose that.

In 2007 MJ released Thriller25, and in 2012 the estate/Sony released Bad25 which was excellent. Now in 2016, and 25 years since Dangerous we get an Off The Wall reissue with a Spike Lee doc and a stick of chalk! Even though the weren't allowed to release bonus tracks on OTW because of a Quincy lawsuit, they still prioritise it over a post-Quincy album. So in their opinion the only albums that warrant an Anniversay releases are the Quincy albums, even though Dangerous, HIStory/Blood and Vince have a platora of tracks that would make great bonus material, their better served on releases presented as new albums. And Spike Lee will be doing a Thriller doc to complete his trilogy so the next reissue at some point will involve Thriller.

Business is usually all about the $$$$ IDK why people are taken back by anything else.. Business definition is literally "the practice of making one's living by engaging in commerce" It's all surrounds money!! Even non profit companies make money..

That isn't always a bad thing, IF they were not trying to make money we would not have new releases....

In 2007 MJ released Thriller25, and in 2012 the estate/Sony released Bad25 which was excellent. Now in 2016, and 25 years since Dangerous we get an Off The Wall reissue with a Spike Lee doc and a stick of chalk! Even though the weren't allowed to release bonus tracks on OTW because of a Quincy lawsuit, they still prioritise it over a post-Quincy album. So in their opinion the only albums that warrant an Anniversay releases are the Quincy albums, even though Dangerous, HIStory/Blood and Vince have a platora of tracks that would make great bonus material, their better served on releases presented as new albums. And Spike Lee will be doing a Thriller doc to complete his trilogy so the next reissue at some point will involve Thriller.

As ivy posted several pages back, the initial plan was to releases Dangerous 25. If it still is the plan, we don't know.

Actually during Quincy Jones lawsuit, they mentioned the contract and initial plans for the project. Both This is it and Cirque album is counted in the project

Your list is correct. In their initial plans what's left is Dangerous 25 and 2 performance DVDs. The contract also says the initial plan is subject to change if parties agree. I don't know if they counted the Wembley Tour as a performance release or the documentaries in the place of the 2 performance DVDs or not.

But the according to the initial plan what's left album wise is Dangerous 25 plus perhaps a performance DVD as well. Of course they could have changed their plans.

-----------------------------------------

Edited to add

Initial plan from Quincly Jones lawsuit files for your reference

Plan - what is released

Souvenir album - This is it
First studio album - Michael
Commemorative package - Vision?
OTW 30 - OTW 35
Cirque Du Soleil - Immortal
Bad 25 - Bad 25
TV performances - ?
Second studio album - Xscape
Rare performances - ?
Dangerous 25 - ?

Don't forget initial plan was subject to change. And we don't know if they counted Wembley or any of the documentaries in place of the performance DVDs. Agreement said Sony will pay $250,000 for licensing fee for the performance DVDs and if the cost would be more than that, the parties would agree on a substitute release.

The only problem with "Bad 25" was that it had too many unreleased new songs on it! Only two or max three should have been done for it! I do believe any sort of anniversary edition of a product will only be a limited available item, yes? So at some point those items will either be unavailable for a while until they are re-released and or never be available again (which would suck). There should have been a few more remixes and demos instead.

^ I will say I think it would have been smarter to use 1 or 2 of those tracks for a future release instead of a anniversary album.. I've always thought that but am of course am glad I heard them..

As ivy posted several pages back, the initial plan was to releases Dangerous 25. If it still is the plan, we don't know.

Very interesting! I have a bit more faith now. TBH, while we haven't heard anything, it wouldn't be too hard to keep things on the down-low if they don't involve too many third parties.

The only problem with "Bad 25" was that it had too many unreleased new songs on it! Only two or max three should have been done for it! I do believe any sort of anniversary edition of a product will only be a limited available item, yes? So at some point those items will either be unavailable for a while until they are re-released and or never be available again (which would suck). There should have been a few more remixes and demos instead.

I think it was a great number of unreleased tracks, it provided a real incentive to buy it and was a good balance - especially for an era where Michael was apparently very productive. I'm aware we only have so many tracks of Michael's left, but I really don't want the Estate to be money grubbers and only tack on 1 or 2 unreleased tracks onto a project just to draw them out and get even more money. I'm really glad they're not like this, they've been extremely generous over the past 7 years with unreleased Michael material. They are more aware than anyone else just how many tracks are left, so I'm sure they were confident in the amount they chose for Bad 25 because they would've kept future releases in mind.

As for your issue with the availability of anniversary editions, that might be true for some other artists but not for Michael thankfully. Currently Thriller 25 and Bad 25 are still widely available to purchase both physically and digitally. Even if the Estate were to delete an album from MJ's catalogue and take it down off iTunes etc, it would still be relatively easy for fans to get hold of these tracks through other means thanks to the internet (even if they didn't pay for them).

^ I will say I think it would have been smarter to use 1 or 2 of those tracks for a future release instead of a anniversary album.. I've always thought that but am of course am glad I heard them..

They could always be reworked and included on future releases, it's happened before. "(I Like) The Way You Love Me" was thrown onto The Ultimate Collection and later reworked and rereleased on Michael. There are some songs on Michael that I think deserve to be reworked so their full potential can shine (I'm not a fan of the sound on that album, it's not worthy of the Michael Jackson brand imo).

I could not disagree with you more.

One of the primary things that kept Bad25 from being useless in the way that Thriller25 was is the six demos (as well as Wembley, quite obviously).

I don't see why you're droning on about this in this thread...

Oh, wow. You all don't comprehend what I am saying?! Sheesh. "Thriller 25" was not "useless". It was done exactly the way it should have been. Now whatever release or re-releases in the future will either not have those songs on them therefore being less than what they could have been AND OR have them become rare because the Estate shot their load on some limited edition thing where they will not have the greatest effect in the long run. Sure everything is easily available online right now but who knows in a few years. In case you haven't noticed most physical music stores are GONE now.

"Thriller 25" was not "useless". It was done exactly the way it should have been.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it was useless, but it's not that great of a set if you already own the main album and one of the many Michael Jackson music video DVDs. Beyond the music videos (which are good extras in themselves if you don't own said DVDs), the extras aren't that great which is why it's one of the few solo MJ releases I don't have.

Nice packaging though.

Now whatever release or re-releases in the future will either not have those songs on them therefore being less than what they could have been AND OR have them become rare because the Estate shot their load on some limited edition thing where they will not have the greatest effect in the long run. Sure everything is easily available online right now but who knows in a few years. In case you haven't noticed most physical music stores are GONE now.

You do realise that the Estate have the ability to re-release these tracks right? They've done it before and will continue to do it again. Bad 25 contained many tracks released on the 2001 Special Editions and I'm sure that Bad 25 won't be the last ever Bad-related release for the rest of eternity (hell, it doesn't even need to be Bad-related to have these tracks on them).

Never mind the (I Love) The Way You Love Me example I explained above.

Thriller25 was a massive disappointment in my opinion. Buying Thriller for the fourth or fifth time would have gotten me the excellent "For All Time" which was recorded eight years after that album was released, five hit-or-miss remixes, and a DVD of music videos easily accessible online. The Japanese version also included "Got the Hots," which I've never particularly liked.

In retrospect, pretty bad. Bad25 is IMMENSELY superior and worth the money, though I still consider reissues to be massively irritating by virtue of the fact that I have to buy an album I've bought countless times just to get a few new tunes.

Now whatever release or re-releases in the future will either not have those songs on them therefore being less than what they could have been AND OR have them become rare because the Estate shot their load on some limited edition thing where they will not have the greatest effect in the long run. Sure everything is easily available online right now but who knows in a few years.

The estate is fully capable and clearly willing to release songs that people have already heard. That isn't a concern.

As HIStoric said above, "The Way You Love Me" was released on Michael despite having first been issued in 2004. "Hold My Hand," which leaked in June 2008, appeared as well, as did the January 2010 leak "Another Day".

Six of the eight tracks on Xscape were freely available on the Internet long prior to their release.

These tracks have to come out eventually in some medium. Sitting on them for decades will do nothing but lessen their value and run the risk of becoming irrelevant. (In fifty years, people will not be nearly as interested in unheard Michael Jackson music as they are today. There will certainly be a following, but this is essentially the golden age of enthusiasm.)

The estate has been drip feeding us material for years, as it should be. Not counting leaked material, we've only been given FOURTEEN previously unheard songs since 2009. That's a solid number.

Thriller 25 at the time I was stoked for.. I mean to hear new MJ vocals (even at the smallest amount) at the time meant the world to me.. Hearing his voice post trial, knowing he was working on music to some extent...

Looking back could they have put together something more 'grand' yes... But this was the only anniversary album that had Mikes touch and actual new work from him..

If Thriller25 had some out posthumously you'd have all quite rightly called it the worst repackage ever.

Bar the cover, it's just awful. The worse remixes ever and three short films we had multiple times.

Bad25 on the other hand was almost perfect. So all this estate hate is unjustified.

Thriller 25 should have included ''The Making Of Thriller'' on DVD. Such a missed opportunity

Thriller 25 should have included ''The Making Of Thriller'' on DVD. Such a missed opportunity

Exactly. Most of these are easy wins.

Thriller - include Making of
History - include Ghosts on DVD and Blu-Ray
Dangerous - include MTV10, Super Bowl,

It was great that they did not release "The Making Of Thriller" on "Bad 25". It is great that it has NOT been released yet on d.v.d. or whatever later format. This has allowed for just the "short promotional film" for the song "Thriller" to be sold in and on other packages for a number of years.

Thriller 25 could have been many things, yes making of Thriller.. shoot making of beat it also which we know footage is there.. We've seen some

It was great that they did not release "The Making Of Thriller" on "Bad 25". It is great that it has NOT been released yet on d.v.d. or whatever later format. This has allowed for just the "short promotional film" for the song "Thriller" to be sold in and on other packages for a number of years.

I understand all those words individually, but together they make no sense.

I liked Thriller 25 because MJ got a lot of love at the time from memory but it wasn't a great release by any stretch. Bad 25 was amazing, Dangerous is widely considered by many to be his best album from people I've spoke to so I think a release would be nice. But so would a new album. All new MJ is good to me!

Whopps! I meant "Thriller 25" instead of "Bad 25"! Sorry! Ah, who needs coherency? Cuck a doodle doooo!

Thriller was the only anniversary album that we got new vocals.. that is special!

^^ Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008 proved that Michael still had one hell of a voice.

30 seconds of new vocals isn't worth the entire album though in my opinion.

I really hope we get some unknown songs in this album, like on BAD 25 with I'm So Blue and Song Groove. It was so cool knowing we were getting songs we never knew existed

Back