New Official "Say Say Say" Remix Coming October 2015

I've heard the instrumental many times (I have the single on record) but I hadn't seen 90% of those photos!! Thanks for that :)

Yeah nah not gonna lie... I would die if Michael came out and sang it with him! There doesn't seem to be any photos of them together but I did find this one of Ringo with a single white glove :p

Ringo+Starr+mingling+Piccadilly+London+aG_eQbkNrP2l.jpg

^ I remember him wearing an MJ t-shirt after MJ's death.

Re: Revolution

I think the issue with Revolution was that the Beatles actual recording was used and also the message of the song used to sell sneakers. It's kind of like using Strange Fruit by Billie Holiday to sell bananas or orange juice. Or Marvin Gaye's What's Going On used in a shampoo ad. It doesn't seem that appropriate.

It is appropriate for some (as opposed to others of course) when the product has some connection to the song's meaning or attempts are made to apply the song's meaning to the particular product.

Using your example of Strange Fruit as an example: it is inappropriate if there is not a connection between bananas/orange juice and racism particularly against African Americans. If one can apply some context of racism to the bananas/orange juice being sold, it may be considered appropriate use. This is of course an extreme example.

Nike's Revolution ads were for television, I believe movie theaters, but, also, print ads. The purpose was that individuals could be revolutionary in their own lives which is similar to the message in the Beatles' song. Nike applied that message to athletic goals and the ideal that Nike's sneakers would help individuals reach those goals.

Nike's Revolution ads were for television, I believe movie theaters, but, also, print ads. The purpose was that individuals could be revolutionary in their own lives which is similar to the message in the Beatles' song. Nike applied that message to athletic goals and the ideal that Nike's sneakers would help individuals reach those goals.

I don't think sneakers and exercising has much to do with Mao, destruction (war), changing constitutions, or people raising money for hate causes. Maybe some haven't listened to the lyrics, like people thinking Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA is patriotic. John Lennon might have been against Nike since they've been known to use sweatshops. Sort of like Paul McCartney probably wouldn't let his songs be used in a burger commercial, since he's for animal rights.

I don't think sneakers and exercising has much to do with Mao, destruction (war), changing constitutions, or people raising money for hate causes. /FONT]

The lyrics you are referring to do not appear in the Nike Revolution ad campaign. Select lyrics were chosen to support Nike's message of individual revolution through athletic goals.

Nike Calls Beatles Suit Groundless

By JON PARELES
Published: August 5, 1987

Nike Inc., the company that used the original recording of the Beatles' ''Revolution'' in an advertisement for running shoes, said yesterday that a $15 million suit filed by the Beatles' British and American companies was groundless.

Philip H. Knight, chairman of Nike, was responding to the suit filed by Apple Corps Ltd. and Apple Records in State Supreme Court in Manhattan last week against Nike; Wieden & Kennedy Advertising, the company hired by Nike to produce the commercials, and Capitol-E.M.I. Records.

Mr. Knight said the suit was only ''the latest skirmish'' in a legal battle between Apple and Capitol-E.M.I.

''We negotiated and paid for all legal rights from Capitol-E.M.I., which has the licensing rights to all the Beatles' original recordings, and S.B.K., which represents Michael Jackson's interests as owner of the publishing rights,'' Mr. Knight said. ''Any implication that we did anything improper or disrespectful to the Beatles is untrue in our opinion.'' New Version Planned

The commercials edit the three-minute John Lennon-Paul McCartney song into 30-second and 60-second versions. The advertisements began running in mid-March and have now tapered off, Mr. Knight said, but he expects new versions using ''Revolution'' to run in the fall.

Leonard M. Marks, Apple's lawyer, said that Apple had offered to drop the suit if the commercials were withdrawn. Melissa Schumer, a Nike spokesman, said the company was unaware of that offer.

Yoko Ono, John Lennon's widow, expressed approval when the commercial was released; she was quoted in Time magazine as saying the commercial ''is making John's music accessible to a new generation.'' The surviving ex-Beatles have not commented publicly. Leonard M. Marks, Apple's lawyer, said yesterday that Ms. Ono and the three surviving Beatles each own 25 percent of Apple and that the company requires ''unanimity among the four Beatles' interests in order to act,'' implying that Ms. Ono had concurred in bringing the suit. ''They are all outraged about the commercial,'' he said. Beatles Received Nothing

Mr. Marks said that Nike had paid $250,000 for the rights to the recording (which a Capitol spokesman would not confirm or dispute) and that the Beatles received no payments for the commercial.

In a statement, Bob O'Neill, general counsel and vice president of Capitol-E.M.I., called the suit ''absurd and nonsensical.''

Recordings carry two copyrights, for publishing (the words and music of a song) and for performance, as embodied in the recording.

The Nike suit brings to three the number of lawsuits now pending over ownership of Beatles recordings and royalties on them. In July, Apple filed a $40 million suit in Manhattan charging that Capitol-E.M.I. unfairly delayed release of the Beatles' albums on compact disks for two years and was charging too much for packaging costs.

A suit filed in 1979 charges that Capitol-E.M.I. underpaid the Beatles for their recording royalties between 1969 and 1979. The amount under contention was recently reduced by a court in Manhattan from $80 million to $30 million, and allegations of fraud were dropped. ''It's now a contractual dispute,'' said Sue Satriano, a Capitol spokesman.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/05/arts/nike-calls-beatles-suit-groundless.html

This sounds like what Paul McCartney was referring to when he said that Michael's concerts were being underwritten by the Nike commercials.

Good find on this article. Nike paid 250 to Capitol-EMI and 250 to ATV/Michael.

Beatles still didn't sue Michael so they must have received their money from him. (Publishing side).

Let's just make him the bad guy anyway.

That is how it is. The original version we all know and love is on Disc 1 with the rest of the original album, the new mix is on Disc 2 with the other new bonus tracks :)

Oh! That's great. I'm glad they've done it that way. 7 minutes long.. boy are we in for a treat! I always loved Michael and Paul's combined efforts.

Good find on this article. Nike paid 250 to Capitol-EMI and 250 to ATV/Michael.

Beatles still didn't sue Michael so they must have received their money from him. (Publishing side).

Let's just make him the bad guy anyway.

I'd say say say that it is Yoko Ono, who didn't wait to see what the majority rules was/is with the other Beatles. Yoko didn't mind her husband's work being used for the next generation to enjoy. "Instant Karma"

Nike Commercial Instant Karma 1992

i cant wait for the say say say remix, MJ sounds so fresh (repeated his part like 20x :D)

The presentation and the promo are absolutely brilliant. So elegant, so smooth, soooo very right. Much love and success to Paul. I'm the sure the collaborations with Michael will be properly acknowledged.

Say say say is great, but recently I've rediscovered the masterpiece which is The man. Such a groovy little number, especially when using high heels and fluffy skirts :p

There's a man, everybody thought they knew.......
And it's just the way.............

Back when I first heard the Thriller album so very long ago I had The girl is mine on loop play. The whole dialogue between him and Michael was terribly fascinating for a little thing like me. Here I are decades later enjoying even more these songs. Now that I think about it,......I don't suppose Paul and Michael were fighting over me in that little tune so very long ago LOL Oh wait, they were singin' about some girl long before I even heard the song and long before I started posting here. Seriously now, this release seems to be wonderful and I'm very glad it will be out there. I'll be sure to try and get it.

Here's a little anecdotal info about "The Girl Is Mine," and "Say Say Say."

This is a duet with Paul McCartney. Michael Jackson wrote the song, and went with his producer Quincy Jones to Tucson, Arizona to meet with McCartney and record it, an experience Jones says was a lot of fun, as the song seemed tailor-made for the pair.

As Jackson tells it in his autobiography Moonwalk, when he first met McCartney in the '70s, Paul told him that he wrote a song for him called "Girlfriend." McCartney used the song on his 1978 album London Town, and Jackson included it on his 1980 Off the Wall album. When Jackson started work on Thriller, he repaid that debt by writing "The Girl Is Mine" for the pair to sing together, and also worked with McCartney on another duet: "Say, Say, Say."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1665

epca2729_b.jpg

Here's a little anecdotal info about "The Girl Is Mine," and "Say Say Say."

This is a duet with Paul McCartney. Michael Jackson wrote the song, and went with his producer Quincy Jones to Tucson, Arizona to meet with McCartney and record it, an experience Jones says was a lot of fun, as the song seemed tailor-made for the pair.

As Jackson tells it in his autobiography Moonwalk, when he first met McCartney in the '70s, Paul told him that he wrote a song for him called "Girlfriend." McCartney used the song on his 1978 album London Town, and Jackson included it on his 1980 Off the Wall album. When Jackson started work on Thriller, he repaid that debt by writing "The Girl Is Mine" for the pair to sing together, and also worked with McCartney on another duet: "Say, Say, Say."

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1665

Always makes me sceptical when those kind of articles gets names, dates or years wrong... - Bad reschearch or what it is, not very reliable IMO...

Also - the info about Girlfriend is not correct is it? - MJ liked the song (after he heard it on McCartneys album I guess), recorded it - and only after he put it on his album he found out McCartney had originally recorded it with MJ in his mind. - Or am I remembering wrong ?? :)

^^^Ran across a vid on YouTube where Paul talks about composing the song and said it sounded to him like a "Jackson 5" song. Of course they were young adults by then.

(His version does sound like a kids song)

Michael says in his book that Paul mentioned it to him at a party Paul's daughter had.

Then Q found it, played for Michael and that was that.

Last edited:
Also - the info about Girlfriend is not correct is it? - MJ liked the song (after he heard it on McCartneys album I guess), recorded it - and only after he put it on his album he found out McCartney had originally recorded it with MJ in his mind. - Or am I remembering wrong ?? :)

From Wikipedia: McCartney thought of the song as one that Michael Jackson might like to record, and mentioned this to Jackson at a party in Hollywood. Jackson had stated in interviews with the music press in the 1970s that he was a fan of The Beatles and the chance to record a McCartney original helped to inspire his next project. However, McCartney ended up recording it himself with his band Wings, and it was issued in 1978 on the album London Town. Subsequently, it was suggested by Quincy Jones as a possible track for Jackson to record for his 1979 album Off the Wall. Jones was unaware that the song had been written for Jackson in the first place. Jackson's recording omitted the middle eight heard in McCartney's version. It was issued as a single in 1980, in the UK only, as the fifth and final single from the Off the Wall album. This proved to be another hit single for Jackson and one of his first recordings of a Paul McCartney song.

Jackson also spoke of the experience in his autobiography, Moonwalk. The younger singer revealed that the collaboration boosted his confidence, as Quincy Jones—producer of Thriller—was not present to correct his mistakes. Jackson added that he and McCartney worked as equals, stating, "Paul never had to carry me in that studio."

[video=youtube;cIJPxFa9ti4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIJPxFa9ti4[/video]​

I just hope iTunes will allow us to buy this as a stand alone song - if it's like the Queen Forever where we have to buy the entire album I will not be buying it...

I just hope iTunes will allow us to buy this as a stand alone song - if it's like the Queen Forever where we have to buy the entire album I will not be buying it...
They should. The bonus tracks on all his other remastered albums are available for individual purchase :)

Man, i wish his voice stayed like this

He was in his 20's here. I don't think anyone's voice stays the exact same for 30 odd years and personally Michael's voice on Invincible is perfect. Arguably one of his best albums, vocally.

are these vocals of paul also from an alternate take or re-recorded?

Yeah I'm for sure going to just get the song... I've never been a big fan the Beatles/paul sound.. Which is really strange because there music is actually very good, I just don't like the way they deliver the music. For example the Beatles covers to me are more enjoyable to listen to..

I am keen to see The Man on the DVD though. Will someone put it on YouTube I wonder...

ChrisC;4106777 said:
It seems anyone wanting the DVD is going to have to cough up £73.

The album itself will be available as a double disc CD which is £17 - also expensive. I imagine I'll just iTunes the MJ tracks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pipes-Peace...1373700&sr=8-1&keywords=pipes+of+peace+deluxe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pipes-Peace...qid=1441373676&sr=8-1&keywords=pipes+of+peace

That's why you buy it straight from Paul McCartney's people and cut off almost half the price :p

CD+DVD+BOOK
Amazon UK - £73/$110USD
Official Website - ~£43/$64.98USD

2CD
Amazon UK - £17
Official Website - ~£10.50/$15.99USD

I'll definitely get the new remix on iTunes and maybe The Man/Say Say Say again... maybe another song or two as well we'll see :)

Too bad he didn't consider doing the DVD separate like they did the Wembley concert-I'd probably buy that.

Back