No Sleep (New Single)

Good. Like I wrote earlier, all the media that announced the single were ecstatic that she was coming back. Haven't heard any radio promotion yet-but it's early. She knows what she's doing.

Media announcing a single in a article isn,t realy promotion she hasn't performed the song or even done a video , you need radio to sustain downloads or perform the song, ex peforming it on the BET would have helped until radio picked it up but the song is off to a good start

Media announcing a single in a article isn,t realy promotion
I agree with you. Just announcing the song, tour and album isn't really a promotion at all. Getting the icon award was good, so everybody can see how great she looks. Kinda a sneak peek in a way.

I still haven't seen Houston listed in tour dates, but in 2011, she played to 75,000 people here in one night-so it's not like she doesn't have any fans.

the tour is just about sold out the shows remaining have only single and reselling tickets left and yes they were the shows that just sold out during pre sale sale and just stop they were not cut in half because they are not selling well quit pulling stuff out of your behind

Relax. Somewhereinthedark is most likely getting the cut venue information from me because it's true. Her show in Vancouver in August at Rogers Arena was split into 1/3 of what it usually is, and no, it has not sold out. The venue usually seats 18,360 people, but from that they have whittled it down to around 6200 seats. Tickets are also expensive. I'm in the balcony and it cost me $100 for 1 ticket (and I bought 2.) There are still floor tickets available, but those are close to $150 each. Even on her Up Close and Personal Tour at the Queen Elizabeth theater in August of 2011 (which I went to a couple years ago) didn't sell out. That venue holds around 2,929 people and those tickets were just about $250. Each. Plus her RockWitYou tour in 2008 was at Rogers Arena and they opened up the entire venue (all 18,360 seats) and it was only half full.

No one is saying she doesn't have a fan base because she does. But you're kidding yourself if you think she has the same pull she used to in the 80's & 90's. Most Janet fans are around my age (late twenties / early thirties) and a lot of us can't justify paying $200 for single tickets anymore, which I think is a solid reason she's not filling venues. Add on top that I personally feel that opening a multi million dollar diamond jewelry line on top of high ticket pricing shows she doesn't have much of a concept anymore for a regular working man's salary, which puts a big wedge between the general public of non "JanFam" people that she's trying to appeal to.

Last edited:
Add on top that I personally feel that opening a multi million dollar diamond jewelry line on top of high ticket pricing shows she doesn't have much of a concept anymore for a regular working man's salary, which puts a big wedge between the general public of non "JanFam" people that she's trying to appeal to.

So much is involved in ticket pricing. Can you show Janet dictated her ticket price to be higher than other pop stars for her own self profit?

As for her jewelry line, if it was economical, there would be complaints. It is higher in price and there are complaints. When she had no jewelry line, there were complaints. Now that she has a line, there are complaints. There is no scenario where there would be no complaints.

Last time I was in here I didn't even get a chance to say just how much I enjoy the groove of Janet's song. It really is one smooth numba.

Relax. Somewhereinthedark is most likely getting the cut venue information from me because it's true. Her show in Vancouver in August at Rogers Arena was split into 1/3 of what it usually is, and no, it has not sold out. The venue usually seats 18,360 people, but from that they have whittled it down to around 6200 seats.

Yes I checked some of the first dates and they also did cut full sections in the arenas.

So much is involved in ticket pricing. Can you show Janet dictated her ticket price to be higher than other pop stars for her own self profit?

As for her jewelry line, if it was economical, there would be complaints. It is higher in price and there are complaints. When she had no jewelry line, there were complaints. Now that she has a line, there are complaints. There is no scenario where there would be no complaints.

My personal opinion is my personal opinion and I'll leave it that. I'm not going to start a conversation with you because I've never seen you agree with anyone on this forum and I have no interest in arguing.

TinnyandOdd, personal opinion has nothing to do with ticket pricing.

This is a discussion forum and there is no official rule that all members must share the same view. I have not argued with you and I have had conversations with you on this forum. I find it interesting that you prefer to not engage with me based on what you perceived happened between myself and a small group as opposed to how I have interacted with you. Paraphrasing Michael, just because you read it, does make it actual or factual.

We agree that we do not need to converse with each other which means your view that I do not "agree with anyone on this forum" is incorrect.

Chart News ?@chartnews 6 Std.Vor 6 Stunden

Billboard Adult R&B Songs: #1 (7 weeks) Earned It (Fifty Shades Of Grey), @theweeknd | #8 No Sleeep, @JanetJackson (Greatest Gainer).

mj_frenzy;4096442 said:
As regards Janet, I think there is a third option: to find a happy medium between her basic R’n’B roots & new trends (directions).

But, judging by her lead single (‘No Sleep’), I am afraid that Janet’s comeback will not break new ground in music after eight years. She has already decided to play it safe by releasing an R’n’B lead single (by the way, her rainy/thunderous song intros are becoming extremely predictable & annoying) &, moreover, she has already planned to perform (firstly) to an audience that is, for the most part, particularly fond of that kind of music.

Regarding Madonna, although I agree that it may look awkward on her, it does not mean necessarily that the same applies to Janet.

Finally, I think Prince is a completely different artist who cannot be confined to norms or generalizations because he is in a league of his own.

Cool. and I think Prince and Michael Jackson are in their own league... maybe Janet and Madonna deserve their own league as well... females rock all the same. just saying. :)

Great stuff, thx for posting. I think it's wonderful when people give insight into the preparatory phases of their work. With art the whole experience it's even more interesting, especially when the result is such a sultry tune.

Billboard Adult R&B Songs: #1 (7 weeks) Earned It (Fifty Shades Of Grey), @theweeknd | #8 No Sleeep, @JanetJackson (Greatest Gainer).

Couldn't help but laugh earlier today when I read the whole "Billboard ADULT R&B Songs". Does that mean the rest of r'n'b songs are for kids or what? In any case, Janet's music targets an audience made of grown ups, that much is for sure.

So happy for Janet! No Sleeep is so smooth!

The actual ‘lyrics sheet’ video concept seems nice.

I hope Janet will come up with more ideas, & more importantly, all these new ideas to be incorporated, mostly, into the sound of her new songs.

^Im pretty sure promotion hasn't started yet. Be patient.

I think promotion has already started but in an unofficial way.

Janet has been working up anticipation day by day through her social network accounts, & for me, this is more effective than a few official appearances.

^Im pretty sure promotion hasn't started yet. Be patient.

Of course, the official promotion has started. There was an announcement and premiere for the single on GMA. Other senders reported as ET, press articles. Radio played the song, I think Airplay was quite good. On the first day of the song it launched on 14 on i-tunes USA, securely the fans bought that day immediately. The songs then went down every day. In my memory it was about 50 on Sunday on itunes USA after the premiere. The song was 35 on the Hot-digital chart USA after first weekt This all counted together gave her the chart-entry on 67 on Billboard Hot 100 in the United States after the first week, if this was what she expected I don`t know, but I am very sure that she expected an improvement for the 2nd week. The second chart week started with her BET Award-return and I am very sure she expected a good increase in sales, as a addition for the 2nd week there was the lyrik-video. But that it did not work. 1 day after BET sales rose only slightly and at the end of the week the song was out of USA TOP-100 i-tunes and also from the US Charts.

When was the last time a veteran artist had a big hit? Madonna did all kind of gimmicks - music that tries to appeal to teenagers, putting every current celebrity under the Sun in her video etc. - and her single still did not rise higher than #84 on Billboard. People should realize that this is an ageist industry where old acts do not score big hits, unless it's a duet with some currently popular young act. Just enjoy the music for what it is. To expect Janet to score a big hit at this age was never realistic.

This is a personal opinion & nothing more.

If you feel what I said is not true then please provide the examples where veteran artists score big hits on the charts these days - without having a current artist as a duet partner.

If you feel what I said is not true then please provide the examples where veteran artists score big hits on the charts these days - without having a current artist as a duet partner.

It is meaningless for me to provide examples because Janet is still considered a current artist.

It is meaningless for me to provide examples because Janet is still considered a current artist.

In what way is she a current artist? In some different way than, say, Madonna, Mariah Carey and other artists of her generation? If so, why?

In what way is she a current artist? In some different way than, say, Madonna, Mariah Carey and other artists of her generation? If so, why?

There is no specific answer to this question.

Trendsetters, like Janet, can be current in the most unpredictable way.

Back