No Sleep (New Single)

mj_frenzy;4099183 said:
In this spirit, if ageism was too widespread in music industry (as you claim that it is), then it would have adversely affected artists also in their late 20’s – early 30’s (at an age when many of them enjoy high chart positions/air plays).

I think artists in their 20s-early 30s are still considered young enough to be cool. It's after 40 but at least around 45-50 where ageism starts to be a problem.

Also, by going back to an earlier, crucial point of this discussion does not mean that I mix two different discussions.

I think it does mean that because my point was simply not what you were trying to make of it.

respect77;4099195 said:
I think artists in their 20s-early 30s are still considered young enough to be cool. It's after 40 but at least around 45-50 where ageism starts to be a problem.

I think it does mean that because my point was simply not what you were trying to make of it.

The problem is that many of these ‘cool’ artists in their early 30’s probably do not have the ability to raise the bar (or even redefine/reinvent themselves) as they get older (rather than ageism).

Also, I am trying to place the discussion (about chart success/ageism) on its original base.

The weak, chart performance of Janet’s new single ‘No Sleeep’ proved once again that artists of her age (& caliber) are (to some extent) obliged to constantly reinvent themselves in an effective way. This applies not only to the image but also to the sound of their songs. Jay Z is an example which perfectly illustrates that chart success & age can walk hand-in-hand, when, an artist (apart from the other reasons) is also multi-dimensional in order not only to survive but also to succeed in that insatiable field.

‘No Sleeep’ had its chance to perform well in charts but it failed to do that. The lead single is in no way a song out of the ordinary that could gain a new, younger audience. More importantly, the public has already been familiar with that midtempo, rather monotonous, R’n’B sound(s) for decades (& in particular when it comes to Janet).

As a result, ‘No Sleeep’ cannot be regarded as a new (or even unprecedented) song to an extent that it could top the charts & its weak performance just confirmed that.

Let's try not to veer too much off topic guys. :)
Hi-I noticed that you wrote on the No Sleeep thread to try to keep it on topic. There's been a discussion of ageism and sexism in "popular music" that I have found pretty fascinating. Did you want to restrict the No Sleeep thread strictly to Janet's single? Because I was thinking about starting a new thread somewhere basically on the ageism topic.

I tried to send you a PM but the mailbox was full.

Thank you!

Cue the pitch forks for the Butterflies MJ reference :p

As for the video, it kinda looks like the same house from Why Did I Get Married? And I like J Cole as much as the next guy, but that rap was awful. "You bring dinner I'll bring dessert?" Oh dear ... Um, also, Janet DOES NOT age ... Actually. Velvet Rope Janet *ooh ooh*

The Butterflies like MJ did make me roll my eyes, not gonna lie.

Also, this song is about sex, right? So I found it odd that there's a huge photo of her and Joseph on the wall at one point.

Don't like the rap version even if it does have a "Butterflies" reference, but then I don't like rap except the one in "black or White".

I definitely would have done this video differently. Started off great but still in her house but in a negligee, checking the oven for her romantic dinner, lighting the candles on the table, putting on perfume at her vanity.
At least that's what I see when I listen to the song.
She's certainly gorgeous tho.

The Butterflies like MJ did make me roll my eyes, not gonna lie.

Also, this song is about sex, right? So I found it odd that there's a huge photo of her and Joseph on the wall at one point.

Ah yes, I forgot to add that in. Yup, that certainly creeped me da fuq out. :busted:

According to Billboard the song will NOT be on the new album.

Jackson's solo version of "No Sleeep," which will not appear on the album, rose to No. 5 in its second week on Billboard's Adult R&B airplay chart, making it the diva's first top five hit on that chart in 11 years.

The J. Cole version will go to the Adult R&B format, as well as Hot R&B (urban mainstream) and Rhythmic radio.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6641089/janet-jackson-no-sleeep-remix-j-cole

2ACEF42F00000578-0-image-a-50_1437757958143.jpg

2ACEF3F600000578-0-image-a-56_1437757997873.jpg

2ACF4CC400000578-0-Same_but_diffferent_It_is_comparable_to_his_track_Billie_Jean_of-a-76_1437758971685.jpg
2ACFC06A00000578-0-image-a-77_1437759017111.jpg

I really like this. I like the MJ references (fun) and I like the overall look and feel of the video. I think J. Cole and the rap were great additions! I hope her fans are enjoying seeing more of her now. :)

J Cole killed it! Such an awesome verse and song. And the butterflies reference was aces! Loved it. I swear Janet and Michael has the exact same eyes, its kinda scary at times lol.

Did Janet reference ghosts btw?

23lbmky.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely would have done this video differently. Started off great but still in her house but in a negligee, checking the oven for her romantic dinner, lighting the candles on the table, putting on perfume at her vanity.
At least that's what I see when I listen to the song.
She's certainly gorgeous tho.

^^^^Yes, I agree. I love the part on the stairs where she's wearing the 'zoot suit' hat. :laugh:

I'm so!! proud of Janet for doing what she did. Many of her contemporaries (madge, mariah) have failed so hard by trying to be "relevant" (whatever that means). Janet just dropped a 90ies slow jam. As if the last 15 years did not happen. This truly is for the old skool Janet fans and lovers of copies R&B. Damn, groovin in my room right now. Love it! And she's getting grrrreat press for it. The song is not a huge hit but I don't think janet or executives where counting on a huge billboard-banger, this song is just proving who she is. Queen of sexy R&B. so proud!

I Absolutely love this song!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait to see her in Las Vegas!

The music video of ‘No Sleeep’ (featuring J. Cole) is for the most part (thematically) in accordance with the song. But, this does not mean that it could not have been done better.

Janet looks self-confident, relaxed, happy, & rather nostalgic at times. The evocative concept (lighting, environment, etc.) undoubtedly adds to the song. Also, Janet knows how to play with the camera, how to gently shake her body in that characteristic way &, most importantly, all these come naturally from her. In other words, she does not seem to feign at all &, in my opinion, this is one of her secrets why she has not lost her (sexual) appeal still today.

I think this natural look suits Janet &, there is no doubt that it is more preferable than those pointless futuristic/robotic styles that she has previously adopted in her videos (‘What's It Gonna Be’, ‘Feedback’, for example).

But, I was completely taken aback at the end of her music video. The appearance of J. Cole came like a bolt out of the blue. It does not fit at all. It sounds like two different songs being played at the same time. Moreover, his vocals sound forced, unnatural while his general presence looks totally out of place.

It goes without saying that Janet deserves better featured artists in her songs. This is the reason why her music video (that was meant as her comeback in music) left me with a feeling of underachievement.

Furthermore, this explains why it is extremely difficult (but not infeasible) to insert rap vocals into an R&B song without, at least, ruining the song (& its theme). But, when it works well then the final result sounds coherent as well as beautiful leading to memorable guest (vocal) performances (‘Top of the World’ Brandy/Mase, ‘Hit the Freeway’ Toni Braxton/Loon, & so on).

Thanks to J Cole for the Michael reference. He didn't have to do that. He gets major props for not only mentioning Michael;but, referencing "Butterflies", as well.

Thanks to J Cole for the Michael reference. He didn't have to do that. He gets major props for not only mentioning Michael;but, referencing "Butterflies", as well.

Indeed, major props :bow: the video is awesome and, as people already commented, Janet looks great - as if the last 20 some odd years just passed her by. Her look nowadays reminds me of Because of love. Are we back to the mid 90s or what? lol

been singin' along to these two songs of her and a few others all weekend long, including even some very personal changes to the lyrics :p Used to have this one as the opening number on a special CD I had made in the spring 2008 that I would play in my car while goin' to work. Goes to show some things won't ever change :)

Last edited:
J. Cole is a Michael Jackson fan. This is not the first time he has mentioned Michael in a song.

Janet posted this comment on her Twitter page and on this video's YT page regarding her father's image in her video:

Wishing my Father,@Joe5Jackson a Happy Birthday.
I want to tell the world, I love and honor you.
The image of us, is my tribute to you. xo. JANET.

J. Cole is a Michael Jackson fan. This is not the first time he has mentioned Michael in a song.

Janet posted this comment on her Twitter page and on this video's YT page regarding her father's image in her video:

Thank you for the info on J Cole being a Michael fan.

I was just listening to this song again and again because in the J. Cole version there are so many layers.

Like in a lot of MJ's songs layers of sounds that can't be noticed right away like peeling away at an onion. Amazing production!

J. Cole has a wonderfully special sound to his voice so the rap version is a very nice accompinament. Overall both versions have a 'timeless' quality as Janet's voice is completely beautiful.

The fact that there are two versions is unique.

The addition of JOE in the video is surprising but special.

Didn't Janet dedicated it to her dad?

And then showing Michael and her as children seems to show how far she has come since being so close to him in childhood. Aw! :wub: Sweet.

Timeless and Classic in its own way.thank

Back