OCC/ITV: VOTE for Billie Jean as Best #1 single in UK [Voting closed]

Re: OCC/ITV: Vote for Billie Jean as Best #1 single of all time in UK

yup, i agree.
What happens now, when do we continue voting? I can only see the shortlisted songs...

That is very odd poll, can't see where to vote:D

Qbee posted this earlier on this board "Check back on the 2nd of July to vote for your favourite Number One from the final Top Ten!"

I cannot find the page where to vote for now?

[h=1]The best No 1 records: Michael Jackson – Earth Song[/h]1995: Well, Jarvis Cocker liked it so much that he had a little dance when Jackson performed the song at the Brit awards

On the claustrophobically solipsistic HIStory album – released after the child abuse allegations that haunted Jackson in 1993 – Earth Song stood out as a song about something other than his treatment at the hands of the world's media. Instead, the focus was another favourite subject of Jackson's after We Are the World and Heal the World – ie, the state of the, er, world. "What about elephants?" Jackson barks at one point, as a choir try to make themselves heard over clattering drums, horns and the distant sound of a hundred kitchen sinks being played. It's utterly ridiculous and all the more brilliant for it, Jackson playing it irony-free (the only way he knew how) and fully impassioned to the point where he sounds on the brink of collapsing under the weight of his own earnestness. Brilliantly, Earth Song is Michael Jackson's biggest-selling single in the UK. Not Billie Jean, not Thriller, not Black Or White, but this, a song that Jarvis Cocker loved so much he wiggled his bum to it during the Brits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/may/31/michael-jackson-earth-song?newsfeed=true

More No.1 singles:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/series/60-years-of-no-1-singles

^ Moonwalker fan - that guardian poll is nothing to do with the itv poll which is the subject of the thread - do you want to reedit in case of confusion?

In any case that paragraph is just one big diss of mj - one big patronising, hostile critique. I looked at a couple of the other no 1 records they're promoting and they dont' treat the artists like this, so why do it with mj? For a left-wing paper that treats the environment and climate change as the new religion, i love how they seem to mock this song. The guardian is as bad as any tabloid in their attitude to mj.

^ Moonwalker fan - that guardian poll is nothing to do with the itv poll which is the subject of the thread - do you want to reedit in case of confusion?

I know, I think its better to have it here as info than another thread, but its about No1. records... and Earth Song is not listed among the ITV poll, which is ridiculous... but that Guardian reports about it as no1 song and that "Earth Song is Michael's biggest-selling single in the UK. Not Billie Jean", not Thriller" both chosen for the ITV poll.

You voted in your thousands and now we have our TOP TEN contenders for the coveted Number One spot!

In this second round of voting, in the form below, please select your favourite from the final TOP TEN Number One singles.

The results of your votes will be revealed on three special shows on ITV1 on the 8th, 14th and 15th July.

(Last date for votes is the 14th July 2012 at 22:30)

Select your favourite No1 Single from the list:
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Anyone who is up to it, please vote Billie Jean as favourite single

http://www.itv.com/nationsfavouritenumberonevote/default.html

Last edited:

Done!!!

Guys vote for this! It will be shown on one of the biggest TV channels in the UK.

Also voted with my 3 email-accounts.

^Yes, for some obscure reason we seem to have adopted her. Well done mj for getting in the top 10. Voted.

You voted in your thousands and now we have our TOP TEN contenders for the coveted Number One spot!

In this second round of voting, in the form below, please select your favourite from the final TOP TEN Number One singles.

The results of your votes will be revealed on three special shows on ITV1 on the 8th, 14th and 15th July.

VOTE
New link for voting this round of the competition
http://www.itv.com/nationsfavouritenumberonevote/default.html

Done!

Use all the emails that you want. You can vote one time for every email. Spread the words and vote!!! ;)

done!

FYI, I voted with my two email address so can't use them any longer. I was allowed to vote made up name and email address, just a friendly hint:winking2:

I know, but you know Kylie is nations pet in England:)

And what about Adele?

Where are the other great legends? 5 of 10 are cheap pop chicks..., wow.

On the other hand, maybe it would be better if lets say britney won the voting, because the more ridiculous winner, the more people would see such voting as pointless..., which in fact it is.

Its the same like MTV Europe named Rick Astley the Best Act Ever at the European Music Awards 2008 in Liverpool.
His "fans" tricked/fooled the voting with a simple program counting thousands of clicks from one online user.

Last edited:

As far as I'm concerned, Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the best single of all time in the UK. Not to mention they're British, which makes things even more relevant. Michael had his singles chart all over the world and quite frankly they deserved to, but Bohemian Rhapsody was a turning point in British rock and was truly groundbreaking. Then you have John Lennon's "Imagine" and The Beatles "Hey Jude", which are also huge and important singles in British music history too and also deserve a top5 spot.

Last edited:

And what about Adele?

Where are the other great legends? 5 of 10 are cheap pop chicks..., wow.

On the other hand, maybe it would be better if lets say britney won the voting, because the more ridiculous winner, the more people would see such voting as pointless..., which in fact it is.

Its the same like MTV Europe named Rick Astley the Best Act Ever at the European Music Awards 2008 in Liverpool.
His "fans" tricked/fooled the voting with a simple program counting thousands of clicks from one online user.

Rick Astley best act ever! Brittish are Never Gonna Give You Up Rick:D

If you feel that you don't think it's worth of voting, then don't.
I will vote as I would very much would like to see Billie Jean as Nation's favourite single.

Just voted for my family lol

Who won? I'm watching it now, have we found out yet?

Who won? I'm watching it now, have we found out yet?

Voting is still open till 14th July 2012 at 22:30

VOTE http://www.itv.com/nationsfavouritenumberonevote/default.html

Re: OCC/ITV: VOTE for Billie Jean as Best #1 single of all time in UK

I had my sister vote for Michael. :yes:

Re: OCC/ITV: VOTE for Billie Jean as Best #1 single of all time in UK

Voted!

Back