Official DVD's, terrible ?

the quality sucks indeed, it's just not up to MJ's standards. The menu's on them are boring, no extra's what so ever. The dangerous concert dvd is awfull.

from an editing POV, it isnt. its badly edited and badly dubbed, not to mention over dubbed with the same damn 12 secs of crowd noise so you constantly hear the same whistles over and over and over throughout the entire thing.

I think we must opprress to SONY, for DVD's. I'm watching and they're so bad. Audio level and audio mix is terrible. Forexample "video greatest hits - Black or white" Center speaker is terrible. MJ is not singing, like he is speaking. His voice is over the music. And video quality is poor. Too much noises on videos. Just "Dangerous the Short films" is good, but audio level is too low. I think they must release them with new technology; they're not suiting to Michael. MJ's DVD's must has best picture / audio quality.

Pretty much for an artist who has the most amazing performances, historic performances, thousands of live performances from around the world, and archived performances we'd all like to see, SONY has absolutely done a horrible job on making any DVD's for MJ.

The One sucked,Number Ones was another DVD of short films we all already had other than YRMW, and everbody who had the HIStory I and II VHS's probably ended up buying them on DVD even though there was nothing different. Dangerous: The Short Films, has probably been the best of any MJ-related DVD releases b/c it has the most material, but that isn't saying much. The MJ Bucharest Concert was already released as part of TUC package, which when I found out was the live concert part of the collection.....I was throroughly dissapointed...

from an editing POV, it isnt. its badly edited and badly dubbed, not to mention over dubbed with the same damn 12 secs of crowd noise so you constantly hear the same whistles over and over and over throughout the entire thing.

I completely agree. I was so disappointed with the Bucharest concert, I think it's very badly done. You can't focus on Michael's performance at all because of the constant interference of crowd footage - it breaks the momentum of Michael's singing and dancing. I'm not opposed to seeing footage of the crowd every now and then, but in this case it was overkill and very annoying. My original vhs recording of the televised concert is much better than the dvd lol.

i think the THRILLER videos..as Sony states in their promotional marketing for THRILLER 25..ARE somewhat remastered as they do look slightly improved..!

I don't get it. I have Moonwalker, Bucharest 92, Dangerous the short films and History the short films and haven't noticed bad quality O_O. For sure Moonwalker is just perfect quality. Well, Bucharest DVD is weirdly edited, but it's not bad quality.

yeah,I'm gonna agree with Raiden.Why?Well,I'm not a professional person like you guys are(I'm only 13),but still,Raiden has a point,because whenever I watched these DVD's,they were exceptional quality,despite TWYMMF.But,still,you have to agree with someone every once in a great while,because that will make you a good person.Don't get that last part.LOL!

Moonwalker is great quality, and I think the other official DVD's are OK. Not spectacular good quality - but the same quality as most other DVD's.

Some of the videos are sadly not the best quality fx. TWYMMF!

lol, I think I'm the only one who thinks Bucharest DVD was awesome:p:p Personally, I loved all the crowd shots cause it showed the atmosphere of an MJ show. I know it wasn't always the crowd from Bucharest, but still:p This concert gave me so much joy that I can't complain about it:p

lol, I think I'm the only one who thinks Bucharest DVD was awesome:p:p Personally, I loved all the crowd shots cause it showed the atmosphere of an MJ show.

I hate the Bucharest DVD, it's a bad representation of Michael Jackson as a live artists and the Dangerous Tour.

I don't think you are alone in liking the Bucharest DVD, many fans on MJ fan sites love it for the reasons you have stated.

Many aren't aware that the Bucharest DVD, it not the actually original BBC and European transmission of the concert. It's a HBO version, which has badly edited various clips from other European concerts of the Dangerous Tour in to the Bucharest concert. The original concert had hardly any shots of fans, and the Bucharest DVD has many shots. But the problem is many of those clips of fans, and not from Bucharest, but from England, Italy and other countries. Sure this Bucharest DVD, has are more electric vibe of an actual concert. But the fact it's been edited (and edited badly), gives the concert a very tacky and contrived feel.

I don't like original version of the Bucharest concert (I recorded it on it's original transmission in 1992), as Michael's performance is below par (due to a bad throat MJ had through out the 1992 leg, and other dates were cancelled after the Bucharest concert and MJ had an operation on his throat), but I think it's much better as it's the real version and runs seamlessly. White the Bucharest DVD version doesn't.

I think the quality of the HIStory music videos are excellent. The Number Ones DVD released a few years after the HIStory DVD's are really bad quality, I have VHS videos I recorded in the 1980's that are better quality than some of the videos on Number Ones.

I'd love to see what Michael's HIStory Tour concert that was transmitted in Germany in 1997 get released on Blu-ray. It's not the greatest of Michael's performance's but it was filmed as on experiment on HD, so there is at least one Michael Jackson concert on the new HD format in the valt.

Last edited:
I hate the Bucharest DVD, it's a bad representation of Michael Jackson as a live artists and the Dangerous Tour.

I don't think you are alone in liking the Bucharest DVD, many fans on MJ fan sites love it for the reasons you have stated.

Many aren't aware that the Bucharest DVD, it not the actually original BBC and European transmission of the concert. It's a HBO version, which has badly edited various clips from other European concerts of the Dangerous Tour in to the Bucharest concert. The original concert had hardly any shots of fans, and the Bucharest DVD has many shots. But the problem is many of those clips of fans, and not from Bucharest, but from England, Italy and other countries. Sure this Bucharest DVD, has are more electric vibe of an actual concert. But the fact it's been edited (and edited badly), gives the concert a very tacky and contrived feel.

I don't like original version of the Bucharest concert (I recorded it on it's original transmission in 1992), as Michael's performance is below par (due to a bad throat MJ had through out the 1992 leg, and other dates were cancelled after the Bucharest concert and MJ had an operation on his throat), but I think it's much better as it's the real version and runs seamlessly. White the Bucharest DVD version doesn't.

I think the quality of the HIStory music videos are excellent. The Number Ones DVD released a few years after the HIStory DVD's are really bad quality, I have VHS videos I recorded in the 1980's that are better quality than some of the videos on Number Ones.

I'd love to see what Michael's HIStory Tour concert that was transmitted in Germany in 1997 get released on Blu-ray. It's not the greatest of Michael's performance's but it was filmed as on experiment on HD, so there is at least one Michael Jackson concert on the new HD format in the valt.

Wow - I never knew that.

So hopefully that one is released!

lol, I think I'm the only one who thinks Bucharest DVD was awesome:p:p Personally, I loved all the crowd shots cause it showed the atmosphere of an MJ show. I know it wasn't always the crowd from Bucharest, but still:p This concert gave me so much joy that I can't complain about it:p

I don't have a problem with crowd shots but on the Bucharest DVD i think they went way over board with it. It was really annoying when Mike would break into an amazing dance solo and then the camera cuts to the crowd

I don't have a problem with crowd shots but on the Bucharest DVD i think they went way over board with it. It was really annoying when Mike would break into an amazing dance solo and then the camera cuts to the crowd

That really annoyed me too!

I just wanna see MJ dancing! Not some screaming girls fainting and going crazy!

also the fact that they use some shots from other concerts where his hair is styled differently, the lighting is completely different or his hair is just plain shorter shows they werent concerned about continuity...AT ALL!

I wish that there was a release of a few Wembley live shows. I'm not sure why but Wembley always seemed to bring out the best in Michael

Quality of DVD released by sony?

I have History on the film volume 2 Dual sided single layer dvd..
Is this the only dvd came with dual side?
I donno if this is my only case , Overtime My History dvd started cracking in the center coz of frequent removal from the case ? Clip

Or is this manufacturing defect..

Well i made back up of the DVD in case if it breaks

So what live dvds is there actually OFFICIALLY available, is it just the dangerous tour? I know there is an unofficial Bad dvd which is really poor quality.. Its just always confused me that with so little release on dvd / video, why is there so much live footage on youtube?

The fact that the full Smooth Criminal video wasnt on the Number Ones DVD is a travesty!

only Moonwalker DVD is realy best quality. Other is very bad...

only Moonwalker DVD is realy best quality. Other is very bad...
It still needs to be released in in 16:9 and in 5.1 and in HD!

Here's hoping for an O2 DVD:)
Michael has already stated on his website that TII will be recorded so Im certain there will be a DVD.

The fact that the full Smooth Criminal video wasnt on the Number Ones DVD is a travesty!

We have full SC multiple times on other DVDs so it was nice to get one of the other versions on DVD IMO

So what live dvds is there actually OFFICIALLY available, is it just the dangerous tour? I know there is an unofficial Bad dvd which is really poor quality.. Its just always confused me that with so little release on dvd / video, why is there so much live footage on youtube?

Only Dangerous is official yes. Michael has one of the biggest bootleg collection due to him not releasing enough official material. I really dont understand why as it makes him money and we have decent quality (better than online) footage.

I have History on the film volume 2 Dual sided single layer dvd..
Is this the only dvd came with dual side?
I donno if this is my only case , Overtime My History dvd started cracking in the center coz of frequent removal from the case ? Clip

That dual side HIStory Vol 2 was stupid as one side would get more worn than the other. Why couldnt it be a Dual Layered DVD? I burnt both sides on new DVDs as a backup too.

Really? I think MJ filmed it originally for a DVD release but was disappointed later because he had laryngitis and didn't dance as well and I really don't like Billie Jean from this concert. But wow in HD, MSG might be also in HD too.

I want This Is It to be released in HD DVD UNEDITED from the best performance. I want to see an unreleased concert such as Bad Tour Wembley, Dangerous Tokyo New Year's Eve, Royal Concert, or HIStory Brunei released and remastered in HD. I want to see Moonwalker remastered and REPITCHED (so many versions are like up pitched)

Film & videotape deteriorates and loses quality over time. Fixing or remastering old film is very expensive & takes a lot of time and most companies aren't going to spend the money on music videos, which has a limited audience as far as sales are concerned. Movies or even TV shows have a bigger sales base and the expense is justified as its more likely they'll recoup the money and make a profit. A lot of music video or concert DVD's have bad quality, especially if it's old footage. Look at a remastered movie DVD. Often they'll have the original trailer, and the trailer is of crappy visual & sound quality, because who's going to spend a bunch of money to fix a movie trailer, lol.

Just Bucharest and The One DVD's are high quality.

Yes exactly,
but it seems Sony is using Beta video sources for those DVD, so you can't get hi-fi digital quality picture off such sources.

On Visionary, they even used rips of the compilations (you can see the title of Stranger In Moscow just a the beginning of it).

The One is top notch : and I love this Triumph Tour footage...

Back