OTW 30 - artists to rework classic tracks

2) The 2001 re-releases were released AFTER the definite release date of Invincible has already been announced (they were released just 2 weeks prior to the release of Invincible).
There's neither a name nor a release date for a new album by Michael Jackson.

Yes they were released after a release date was set for Vince, but that still doesnt mean nothing, the special edition albums wernt planned, remastered, produced and released on the same day, they took planning too, quite alot of planning.

Problem is no-one was looking out for a release date for the re-releases only for Vince ;)

You do realise T25, KOP and OTW30 are all promotional tools, not specifically aimed at the current fanbase..? Quit moaning.

They are mainly aimed at the Michael Jackson fan base. And current fans and people who aren't fans but have bought a Michael Jackson album before should be the priority of that promotion. Not people who've never bought a Michael Jackson album before, and want to listen to Amy Winehouse or Jay Z. And in the age of downloads they are more likely to just download the cover version from iTunes for 79p or download for free.

One of the reasons Thriller25 should so well is because it was released with 3 different picture covers, where fans like myself bought all 3 including the fold out vinyl album and picture disc vinyl. I'm pretty sure fans of Will.i.am, Fergie, Akon and Kanye West were only a small percentage of people who bought Thriller25.

When will MJ fans realise this is not for us, it's for the general public, it's a promotion tool. You don't have to buy it just because it has his name on it.

Quite bitching.

The new album will come out when it's ready. Mean time, don't expect much else.

You do realise T25, KOP and OTW30 are all promotional tools, not specifically aimed at the current fanbase..? Quit moaning.

Thanks for the advice, but I will moan all I like when I see projects like this.

And how exactly do you define a fan? I class it as someone who buys one of his albums. Ergo, someone buying Off the Wall would be classed as one in my book. A sale is a sale in MJ and Sony's book.

Ouch! I imagine it really hurt both record companies and artists last year who sold less than a million then. Wow! Thanks for breaking that down, mjdatabank. I think that's also a clue why CDs and record stores are becoming obsolete and online downloads are gaining an edge. Maybe it's cheaper all around for everyone to cut out the middle-mess...altho I would seriously miss the little booklets that come with the CDs. You don't get that with downloads. So cold and impersonal. :(

As usual...awesomely thought-out and interesting...for folks who are already diehard fans, imo. I don't see anything on there that would draw someone who's not already a fan in for a listen. And with that much content, I imagine we're looking at a price of $30 and up...maybe $50. Would you pay that amount for the project...in a recession as bad as this one? And can you see a person who's a non-fan paying that much...in a recession?

I think the point of using "who's hot now" names is to draw in the fans of those people. And if I were a fan of Rihanna and a song of hers was on this thing but it would cost me $30-50 to get it, I'd probably seek out other options. I'm not going to lie. :lol: Not only does that defeat the purpose of getting the fan interested but if they don't buy the whole thing they miss out on the exposure to the original content...the Michaelness. It doesn't seem practical from my point of view. Can't speak for others, but I'm just saying in the economy wer'e in now, a LOT of people are being very choosey about what they will spend their money on and whether it's worth the dollar. My guess is the record company wants to make the project interesting enuf to draw in others as well as make it cost-effective for those who are interested. Of course, I'd pay $50 for the whole shebang. I'd pay it for the Triumph footage alone. :lol: A Rihanna fan who's not necessarily an MJ fan might decide that's too much for one remixed song. Love your ideas tho. :yes:

I wonder if maybe the reason a lot of unreleased things remain that way is becuz Michael still has plans for that stuff. Little Susie was from OTW era and it came out on History. So maybe he's not interested in parting with anything because he genuinely thinks he can recycle or update it for another time. Perhaps he considers those songs works-in-progess to this day. :unsure: Hmm...maybe some outtakes and demos on already released songs like RWY, DSTYGE, etc.?

Anyhoo, I went and did a lil research and listened to the album to get a feel for which voices might fit each song, imho, of course. And it's nice to see some suggestions going on in here now. Some of you brought up some good names I'd forgotten about like Jill Scott and Estelle.

DSTYGE... I think Justin T. is a shoe-in on this one; maybe Jay-Z as well.
RWY... J.T. or Ne-yo

WD&N... Pharrell/Neptunes seem perfect for this one; maybe Jay Z can do something with it, too

GOTF... Don't hate me but I can hear Rihanna on this; I like Jill Scott, too but since Jazmin Sullivan is more current than Jill at the mo, maybe she would be a good draw.

OTW... Alicia Keys, Jill or Jazmin

SOOML...for a different twist maybe have a woman re-do it as He's Out of My Life. I think Alicia would do an amazing job on it and Rihanna seems to be really good with those torch song/ballads. However, that could be risky and bring on some pesky jokes...even tho a woman would be singing the song about a guy. Hmmm...SO, I'm thinking Ne-yo as the safe choice.

GF ... Don't hate me but there's just enuf corn and cheese here (which I can appreciate from time to time so that's not a diss at all) for the Jonas Brothers. I know it's blasphemous to suggest, but I can hear it. Imagine all their little girly fans buying the CD for the song.

ICHI ... Since Janet did so well on the knock-off (This Can't Be Good) I think she would do a kickarse job on this; Justin might do it justice as well.

ITFIL... Rihanna and Chris Brown; oh the drama :p....altho their whole down-low thing would be busted (as if it isn't already lol) so maybe Christina Aguilera and Ne-yo or Jazmin and Ne-yo.

BTDO ...Jill Scott; Christina Aguilera; Jazmin Sullivan or Amy Winehouse. This is the only song I can see Amy on with her type of voice, but hey...you never know.

I realize all of the songs can't and won't be remixed, but those were just some thoughts about each song.

Peace.

Edit Edit EDIT!: Lawd I had no idea how prophetic those suggestions were to be when I typed them. Ixnay on Rihanna and Chris Brown bitsay.:bugeyed :fear:

They could do it this way:

Release the edition with remixes
and release a "collector's edition" that would have the rare tracks and footage

Think of how Pearl Jam's forthcoming reissue of "10" is being done:

On March 24, 2009, Ten will be reissued in four editions. The extras on the four editions will range from a remastering and remix of the entire album by producer Brendan O'Brien, six bonus tracks ("Brother", "Just a Girl", "State of Love and Trust", "Breath and a Scream", "2,000 Mile Blues", and "Evil Little Goat"), re-designed packaging, a DVD of the band's 1992 appearance on MTV Unplugged, an LP of its September 20, 1992 concert at Magnuson Park in Seattle, a replica of the original Mamasan demo cassette, and a replica of Vedder's composition notebook.[33] It will be the first reissue in a planned re-release of Pearl Jam's entire catalogue that will lead up to the band's 20th anniversary in 2011

or how EMI is re-releasing Radiohead's albums
Each album will now get its own Collectors Edition (2XCD sets featuring the original album and a comprehensive bonus disc full of B-sides and live performances) and Special Collectors Edition (basically the Collectors Edition plus an added DVD with music videos and live footage, snazzy packaging and, um, postcards). Almost everything Radiohead put to tape professionally between 1992 and 1997 is represented here.

Good idea about separate editions. Maybe the one targeted towards collectors would be in limited in supply as well. But I guess it's up to those involved (MJ and/or Sony) if that's something they want to dedicate time and resources to do. I just think fans who like a lot of rare and unreleased content should be prepared to lay down the dollars for it. It would suck if someone went thru the trouble of compiling a nice package peppered with rarities and/or unreleased bits only to have folks moan about the cost. Your first list is not something I would think a fan should expect to pay $19.99 for. It just doesn't seem practical to me. Can I ask...what is the most you would expect to pay for some of the packages you come up with? Again, I think you have some kickarse ideas, but I'm just curious as to how much you, as a consumer, would be willing to pay for those compilations? What's the most you would spend?

Oh JOY, artist to do remakes of OTW. I guess I will not be getting this one. If there are some new songs then I'll just get those. I don't want to hear some other artist sing mike songs. I'll be patiently waiting for michael's new album.

When will MJ fans realise this is not for us, it's for the general public, it's a promotion tool. You don't have to buy it just because it has his name on it.
i would think its aimed at making money and nothing else. and by doing this its probably the best way to make money of the biggest market possible. just re release OTW with a few demos and the only ppl who buy it are the hardcore fan base. you may get the odd non fan buying it who gets to hear OTW when b4 its not something they would come across bar the mainstream songs such as DSTYGE. but otherwise you only have a small market buying it. bring other artists in and you get their fans possibly buying it along with more members of the public who will hear the songs on mainstream radio ontop of the fanbase. its just a new way of milking the albums/songs as everything else has been done

Are they planning to do this every year? Thriller 25 in 2008, Off The Wall 30 in 2009, HIStory 15 in 2010, Dangerous 20 in 2011, Bad 25 in 2012. Then I guess 2013, new album?

Last edited:
well chris brown wont make a track for this one for sure.

he faces felony charges for beating his girlfriend rihanna, allegedly. if this turns out true (which looks to be likely, since neither chris brown nor rihanna have denied anything yet) the billboard CEO is right, chris browns career would be over.

so no MJ collabos or whatever for him anymore.

well chris brown wont make a track for this one for sure.

he faces felony charges for beating his girlfriend rihanna, allegedly. if this turns out true (which looks to be likely, since neither chris brown nor rihanna have denied anything yet) the billboard CEO is right, chris browns career would be over.

so no MJ collabos or whatever for him anymore.

Sad but true.. He had so much potential.. I don't know why he had to beat up a women.. That is just disquisting..

Sad but true.. He had so much potential.. I don't know why he had to beat up a women.. That is just disquisting..

If people are equal, shouldn't it be wrong to beat up anyone? Not just women.

It was said, that besides the Remixes there would be one unreleased Track.

I would be interested in which unreleased tracks are in the selection to be on "Off The Wall 30"? Thanks.

If people are equal, shouldn't it be wrong to beat up anyone? Not just women.

:lol: Know this wasn't supposed to be funny, but I really think you put it nice!

And you are right of course! :lol:

It was said, that besides the Remixes there would be one unreleased Track.

SONY Music has NOT said anything about the content yet.

As usual, some fans have started to spread their self-made tracklists.

NO confirmed content so far ;)

Why release a 30th Anniversary edition for Off The Wall? This makes no sense to me other than to make money. I can understand something for Thriller. That album is the biggest selling album of all time and changed the music landscape forever. But Off The Wall at 30 years makes no sense. It's not one of the top 10 selling albums of all time. It only won one Grammy Award. Now I don't mean to take anything away from the album. It's a pop masterpiece and should have won more awards. But I just don't feel like it is worthy of the treatment that Thriller received. Quite simply, Off The Wall didn't have as much impact as Thriller. Less people are going to buy this than Thriller 25. If there is even a plan for this, and it is to have remixes by other artists, I just don't get it other than money. If anything, this 30th edition should include unreleased outtakes, demos, disco mixes, and a dvd of Michael on tour performing the songs from the album. But we all know that won't be the case. Nothing has been confirmed, so any of this might not even happen. I just think an idea of OTW 30 with remixes by other artists would be a stupid idea.

If anything, this 30th edition should include unreleased outtakes, demos, disco mixes, and a dvd of Michael on tour performing the songs from the album.
There is no Michael tour until Bad, so that doesn't make much sense. They would have to release a Jacksons show, and Sony has tended to ignore the group. There has never been a Jacksons/J5 video released ever. The closest thing to that is the Motown 25 video which has long been out of print.

SOOML...for a different twist maybe have a woman re-do it as He's Out of My Life. I think Alicia would do an amazing job on it and Rihanna seems to be really good with those torch song/ballads.

Mya Harrison has already done a cover called "Man in My Life" on her Fear of Flying album, released in 2000. It is fairly good, and I don't think Alicia/Rihanna could do any better.

There is no Michael tour until Bad, so that doesn't make much sense. They would have to release a Jacksons show, and Sony has tended to ignore the group. There has never been a Jacksons/J5 video released ever. The closest thing to that is the Motown 25 video which has long been out of print.

Yes, the Jacksons Triumph tour. That would make sense.

Why release a 30th Anniversary edition for Off The Wall? This makes no sense to me other than to make money. I can understand something for Thriller. That album is the biggest selling album of all time and changed the music landscape forever. But Off The Wall at 30 years makes no sense. It's not one of the top 10 selling albums of all time. It only won one Grammy Award. Now I don't mean to take anything away from the album. It's a pop masterpiece and should have won more awards. But I just don't feel like it is worthy of the treatment that Thriller received. Quite simply, Off The Wall didn't have as much impact as Thriller. Less people are going to buy this than Thriller 25. If there is even a plan for this, and it is to have remixes by other artists, I just don't get it other than money. If anything, this 30th edition should include unreleased outtakes, demos, disco mixes, and a dvd of Michael on tour performing the songs from the album. But we all know that won't be the case. Nothing has been confirmed, so any of this might not even happen. I just think an idea of OTW 30 with remixes by other artists would be a stupid idea.
Off The Wall is regarded as one of the greatest R&B albums EVER

Not only that, just because it isn't one of the top 10 selling albums doesn't mean it doesn't deserved to have recognition.

SALES DON'T DICTATE AN ALBUM'S WORTH

There are many people who love and hold Off The Wall in higher regard than they do Thriller. Who cares if the album won only one grammy? The Jackson 5 never won a Grammy, does that mean they didn't have impact
The album is PERFECT and without that album, you wouldn't have Michael Jackson the superstar. Off The Wall laid the groundwork for Thriller:

The best selling album by a black artist until Thriller
the first album to spawn 4 top 10 singles
voted by Rolling Stone as the #68 in the 500 greatest albums of all time
Grammy Awards hall of fame inductee
Off The Wall made a HUGE impact in the R&B community and you can hear the influence to this day
Off The Wall also got better reviews than Thriller did
over 20 million copies sold

I swear sometimes ya'll worry me:doh: :lol:

Off The Wall is regarded as one of the greatest R&B albums EVER

Not only that, just because it isn't one of the top 10 selling albums doesn't mean it doesn't deserved to have recognition.

SALES DON'T DICTATE AN ALBUM'S WORTH

There are many people who love and hold Off The Wall in higher regard than they do Thriller. Who cares if the album won only one grammy? The Jackson 5 never won a Grammy, does that mean they didn't have impact
The album is PERFECT and without that album, you wouldn't have Michael Jackson the superstar. Off The Wall laid the groundwork for Thriller:

The best selling album by a black artist until Thriller
the first album to spawn 4 top 10 singles
voted by Rolling Stone as the #68 in the 500 greatest albums of all time
Grammy Awards hall of fame inductee
Off The Wall made a HUGE impact in the R&B community and you can hear the influence to this day
Off The Wall also got better reviews than Thriller did
over 20 million copies sold

I swear sometimes ya'll worry me:doh: :lol:

You can say that again.

People can defend this idea all they want. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that's what makes a board like this so great. In my opinion, a 30th Anniversary edition for OTW is going to be purchased by only die hard MJ fans. The casual listener who might have purchased Thriller 25 will not be buying an OTW 30.

if anything, i would like to see mj redo DSTYGE and RWY...not remix them as much as release the original masters...since he had masters at work do those remixes with the unreleased vocals, i wonder how the original mixes sound...

Back