Overrated songs

IDK, but I do not understand how songs can be overrated in the fan base ? It is just a matter of taste …
For me overrated matters when I hear only one song form the album on the radio but there are more interesting and more popular songs on the album… Somehow I see public “forgetting” about other songs.
Saying this I think that You Are Not Alone and The Girl Is Mine are overrated … I can’t think of any other songs :)

1. Billie Jean
2. The girl is mine
3. Don't stop til you get enough
4. will you be there

The Girl Is Mine, really? I see lots of people (both in the fanbase and general public) say that it's one of MJ's weakest. So how can it be overrated? I think it's a cute song

Same for YANA being the big hit of HIStory when there are so many lot stronger songs on that album.

In Europe Earth Song and TDCAU were the biggest singles off HIStory. They both went to No.1 in Germany. His first single No.1's in Germany ever i think. (So much for the downwards spiral after thriller story that the media like to spin.)

Thriller is his most overrated song, overall, in my opinion.
Within the fanbase: Butterflies and Another Day.

Allusio;3953599 said:
IDK, but I do not understand how songs can be overrated in the fan base ? It is just a matter of taste …

Why not? It's possible, for example, people who lean towards an era in specific might praise certain song or video that goes with it, even when the album that song comes from had stronger material. YANA is a big example imo..

I love Invincible it's a good album with some interesting songs - but hearing the songs from the invincible sessions that didn't make the cut they would of made the invincible album an even better album by switching & swapping some songs around and making it a 12-14 track album.

I don't think the song Thriller itself is overrated it is the VIDEO which makes the song so famous and rated so highly.

My personal opinion about most overrated song would be...Thriller. The video made the song more iconic and not the actual song/lyrics...IMO obviously :yes:

I feel that Rock With You can be pretty overrated on times. IMO it's not even the best song that Rod Temperton wrote for Off The Wall. That honor goes to the title track

Re: What's the most overrated MJ song?

Thriller is overrated within the general public and Butterflies is overrated within the fan base

Last edited:
I think that lyrically speaking, TWYMMF is trite and shallow, but songs like SM and SD are avant-garde masterpieces. The B25 outtakes like the ones you mentioned plus "Cheater" show just how phenomenal a songwriter and lyricist that MJ was, and the kind of musical soundscapes that he was experimenting with at the time. Certainly, with songs like "Al Capone", POF and AP, it would have sort of been MJ's Songs In The Of Life, had there been the technological capacity to produce a three disc album set at that time. But the fact that MJ suggested a three disc album set, without the access to the technological capacity of the time is a true testament and a kind of analogy within itself as to just how ahead of his time he was musically.

But anyway, back to the question at hand, for me, and I'm going to get shit for this but.....MITM is so overrated it should have been a criminal offense. I think "Be Not Always" his sooooooo much more effective and realist as far as social anthems go, This ballad does a way better job of eliciting the though and feelings of MJ's concern for social issues. MITM lyrically naïve, and too preachy.

Last edited:

The Way You Make Me Feel is just a fun song. Not everything has to be deep, complex and meaningful

The Way You Make Me Feel is just a fun song. Not everything has to be deep, complex and meaningful

TWYMMF is one of Michaels greatest singles. A Fun and catchy song with incredible vocals and harmonies accompanied with a timeless video.

Wow, looks like this is a thread where I can safely share my dismay about the world's fascination with Billie Jean and its companions Beat it & Thriller :p I get the iconic status of the Thriller video, the guitar in Beat it and the social impact of the album, I get all of that, I do. But that's about where it stops for me and these three songs. I stiiill don't get what the big hoopla over Billie Jean is :blink:. I prefer other cuts on the album so much more, not to mention the rest of his catalog which has far superior material (both in terms of music and lyrical content), in my not-necessarily humble opinion, of corso.

Last edited:
Keep the Faith...

SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY

This probably sounds sacrilegious, but I never cared for MITM. It's definitely overrated in my mind.

The only song I can think of as overrated is Thriller by the general audience, but I don't think there is any overrated song by the fan base

Keep the Faith...

SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY

I've always felt Keep The Faith was underrated. The general public don't know about it, and it's hardly mentioned within the fan base

I've seen Billie Jean get mentioned a few times here. This is without question Michael's most popular song, and I think it deserves all the praise it gets

This probably sounds sacrilegious, but I never cared for MITM. It's definitely overrated in my mind.

CTFsPckW4AAyIXX.jpg

I feel all these songs are overrated, but I still like them all, just not as much as many other fans do. They are good songs, but there are many better ones.

Black or White - song is okay but hardly his best, also the Macauly Culkin talking part at the start gets real old after the first few listens.
Thriller - Yeah it is a great video, but the song does drag at times and Vincent Price's rap also slows the rhythm down.
Gone too soon - Yes I really respect the sentiment, but this song is too boring, quiet and weepy for its own good.
History(Song guys!!! not album) - Really outstays it welcome, all the samples and talking, the actual song is really 2 verses and a mediocre chorus, although the first spoken "Your destined for history - how many victims must there be" coda is good though"
Bad (The song again!!!) - sounds like Blasphemy, but it suffers from the "I have heard it so many times, I am tired of it" It still has a great beat and love the lyrics/video, but I still feel it is actually one of the weaker tracks on that album, and TWYMMF is so much better and. Don't get me wrong I still like it,

Can you feel it - This bouncy poppy song, does not have the punch of other tracks on Triumph like This Place Hotel, Lovely one and walk right now.

Hmm-I don't think any songs that are crazy loved by the public are overrated-but by the fan base, I'd choose "In the Closet"-not sure if everybody really loves the song or the video-

How can it be overrated when hardly oneone knows it outside of the hard core fanbase?

I always got the impression from various Dangerous related threads that it was one of the highlights of Dangerous and one of the most popular- ive actually been called out on it a few times over the years cos i dont overly love it. i was talking exclusively about the fanbase, to be precise, MJJCF. Shoulda made it clearer!

Thriller as a song is kinda over rated same goes for Black or White

For me, the most overrated MJ tracks are the two opening cuts from Bad. The title track and TWYMMF are a real step back in quality from songs like Startin Somethin, Billie Jean, Thriller, Beat It. Unlike those songs which are timeless and still sound fresh today, Bad and TWYMMF sound very much of their time and lack the depth and sophistication of many of his other big hits.

To be honest, with the exception of Liberian Girl, the whole first half of Bad sounds very twee and has aged horribly. Fortunately, the second half contains some of the best pop music ever written, but having heard some of the outtakes, I can't help but wish songs like Abortion Papers, Fly Away, Price of Fame, Al Capone and even Don't Be Messin Round were worked on a bit more and put on the first half of the album.

So what would you consider to be MJs most overrated song?

I'm kinda offended by this whole post. :beee:

As far as public consciousness is concerned, I still cannot wrap my head around the obsession with Off the Wall. There aren't any major faults with its material quality-wise, and I certainly love almost every track, but seeing it constantly challenged as one of Michael's strongest albums, if not the strongest, confuses me endlessly. Most certainly my least-favorite of Michael's solo outings.

Within the fan base, "Seeing Voices" is still incredibly dull, even after repeated listens.

I like "Seeing Voice" a lot and have listened to it many times. I've also seen many people say they love it.

Back