Overrated songs

Personally, there is no song that I feel is overrated. I'd have a lot to say though if I could find a thread for 'underrated MJ songs'...there are so many I could think of, from each album. I don't think any artist/entertainer should have to go through this kind of discussion. Honestly, I'm not even comfortable with even considering thinking about this because first, everyone has different tastes and favourite songs. For some people, they share a love for particular songs defined an era, brings back nolstagia, helped someone through a difficult time etc, and I wouldn't/don't like just dismissing that just because I think a particular song is popular than necessary or feel that this song is better than that. Its kind of like asking 'what's your favourite MJ song?' my answer? It all comes down to personal taste. For some its 'Childhood', for others it could be 'Girlfriend', or 'Black or White' etc. I just like the freedom of letting someone enjoying what they love, you know?

I think in general if we become less subjective, especially when it comes to the arts (because people interpret things differently, and its a broad, vast study) we'd all be a bit happier. Of course I understand that people have different opinions and like engaging in debates (I guess I'm not one of those guys) but I feel this particular thread kind of undermines his music and overall talent. In my opinion, the underrated songs outweigh the overrated ones by farrrrr.

Okay, Imma leave the thread now. Sorry if I don't make sense-especially in the first paragraph (English isn't my first language).

Since we are all shocking each other here (I'm looking at YOU Matty :tease:) I'm gonna state that I think that Unbreakable is over rated amongst fans, especially when it's always said that this should have been the first single. I do love the song, but I don't think it would have saved Invincible the way a lot think it would have.

In 2001 I don't think anyone wanted to be listening to Michael Jackson singing about how he can't be touched and that he is unbreakable, especially since the tabloidy crap had been multiplying from 97 onwards. I don't think it would have done better than YRMW did.

Butterflies and You Are Not Alone is nottt over rated in my opinion.. Butterflies is Under rated, should have actually gotten attention.
Very underrated. I believe had this been this 1st single with a video, or like the 1st singles off thriller & bad

As far as public consciousness is concerned, I still cannot wrap my head around the obsession with Off the Wall. There aren't any major faults with its material quality-wise, and I certainly love almost every track, but seeing it constantly challenged as one of Michael's strongest albums, if not the strongest, confuses me endlessly. Most certainly my least-favorite of Michael's solo outings.

I love Off The Wall, but I wouldn't call it MJ's greatest work either. I think a lot of people who rate it as MJ's best work are people who are nostalgic for the more carefree Michael Jackson.

I think the whole OTW is overrated - sure, it's a great album, but come on, most of the stuff wasn't written or produced by Michael. His talent was proved afterwards.

And the best song on the album was one of the songs that was written by Michael. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough. That song is the backbone of that album

I think the whole OTW is overrated - sure, it's a great album, but come on, most of the stuff wasn't written or produced by Michael. His talent was proved afterwards.
Off the Walk is the album where Michael's exceptional versatility and genius as an adult vocalist is on full display for the first time.
He's truly his own person here and anyone who listens to this album feels the gamut of emotions from exuberant joy to soul killing heartbreak. You feel all the emotions inbetween too.
He is free from constraints and you can hear it as he effortlessly sings disco, R&B, pop, jazz, blues and funk and sometimes mashing them up at the same time.
I first listened to this album with my heart.
Yes, he showed other talents on later albums, but this is the one that proved he was an exceptional singer.

Some of the best songs of the album, including the lead single and first #1 was written by MJ. So I would say OTW already pretty much proves his talent even as a songwriter, but like Barbee pointed out talent is not just in songwriting. His use of his vocals is incredibly creative on OTW, how can one not consider it a talent?

I don't like it when OTW is distanced from MJ as if it wasn't really his album just because he did not write everything on it.

For me, it's always been the idea that Off the Wall shows the least limits of Michael's creativity. Excellent album, but little of it is indicative of what he's capable of.

Some of the best songs of the album, including the lead single and first #1 was written by MJ. So I would say OTW already pretty much proves his talent even as a songwriter, but like Barbee pointed out talent is not just in songwriting. His use of his vocals is incredibly creative on OTW, how can one not consider it a talent?

I don't like it when OTW is distanced from MJ as if it wasn't really his album just because he did not write everything on it.
Thank you. I think OTW and also Michael's voice in General is extremely underrated. Might be because of the myth started by music critics(that most people believe) that real talent and real musicians are the ones who are singer/songwriters a la Dylan and the Beatles.
But his voice, as especially first demonstrated in OTW, was what made that album. Can't think of too many singers that can invoke such strong feelings and visuals from love, lust, and longing to anger, rage,
And make no mistake-this was a talent he developed and worked hard on.

I think Michael was an incredible songwriter and the way he wrote music was extraordinary. How he could hear every note and every chord in his head-he was music.
But it's one thing being a child prodigy with a natural born talent and then go thru puberty and develop one of the most esquisite and emotive voices ever.
OTW was a revelation.

When some people say OTW is overrated, I think they mean it's overrated when people (Non fans) call it MJ's greatest work ever. Its a great and important album, but I wouldn't call it MJ's best work ever.

ML just expressed their opinion, so... :scratch:

So, they're opinion is that there's no overrated MJ songs. Fair enough, but it was done in a way which made it look like he/she had a problem with other people thinking that certain MJ songs are overrated.

Every time just before any of his albumd were released, he always said what he wanted each one to be remember for.........with OTW he said he wanted it to be the best album that could be ever made....with Thriller he said he wanted that to be the greatest selling album ever......with Bad, he wanted to be the all time perfectly constructed full scale pop record ever and for it to outsell Thriller.......with Dangerous, he wanted it to carry a universal appeal modeled after Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker Suite...........with History, he wanted it to reflect on his history while painting out his anger towards those who misled him.........then with Invincible, he gravitated back to his roots as Pop radio no longer supported, which gave the impression the album wasnt promoted properly when it was

BBD just loves to put his own opinions into MJ's mouth.

Every time just before any of his albumd were released, he always said what he wanted each one to be remember for.........with OTW he said he wanted it to be the best album that could be ever made....with Thriller he said he wanted that to be the greatest selling album ever......with Bad, he wanted to be the all time perfectly constructed full scale pop record ever and for it to outsell Thriller.......with Dangerous, he wanted it to carry a universal appeal modeled after Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker Suite...........with History, he wanted it to reflect on his history while painting out his anger towards those who misled him.........then with Invincible, he gravitated back to his roots as Pop radio no longer supported, which gave the impression the album wasnt promoted properly when it was

He also said that every album he makes has to be better than the last. He was always trying to outdo himself as an artist

That is completely false statement. Something that is your opinion and not a fact. But even if that statement was true (but it is not) then it would mean that MJ "failed" massively, because Off The Wall is not "best album that could be ever made" and he made better albums than Off The Wall with his every subsequent album, INCLUDING Invincible.

That is completely false statement. Something that is your opinion and not a fact. But even if that statement was true (but it is not) then it would mean that MJ "failed" massively, because Off The Wall is not "best album that could be ever made" and he made better albums than Off The Wall with his every subsequent album, INCLUDING Invincible.

Wait, u gone give your own opinion about what u assume is an opinion lollll

Everything that I mentioned he said himself

If we took a poll of every single person in the United States, everyone who bought a Michael Jackson record from 1969-2009 and ask each person what his best album was, consensus is going to come back that either OTW was his best or Thriller is his best, its going to be one of the two

The reaction to the OTW documentary is proving that every day where more and more people are sayinn that OTW was his best, its being said all over youtube also

Invincible although is solid, there is no way that album is better than OTW,

Even Rodney Jerkins who produced Invincible talks more of OTW than what he actually worked on

Last edited:
OTW is my favorite album, but Michael saying it's his best album is different than Michael saying he wanted it to be the best album before he made it.

Back