Paul Anka iv Tel Aviv feat. This Is It

I think there at least 3 Vocal Recordings of TII:

1. Regular Album Versions

2. Demo that appeared on The View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfRznr_32HQ

3. Paul Anka's concert in Tel Aviv. Similar to The View Demo, but some noticeable differences.

I love that View demo, the way MJ sings "I feel graaaand" etc.

I think it's ridiculous that Paul said MJ stole the tapes. There's 3 different demos...

Did MJ write another song called as "This Is It" too? I think something's filed from the Off The Wall era in Songwriting archives, but not too sure. Not that I trust Wikipedia but someone put "not to be confused with TII from the album."

Last edited:

3. Paul Anka's concert in Tel Aviv. Similar to The View Demo, but some noticeable differences.

I think it's ridiculous that Paul said MJ stole the tapes. There's 3 different demos...

Did MJ write another song called as "This Is It" too? I think something's filed from the Off The Wall era in Songwriting archives, but not too sure. Not that I trust Wikipedia but someone put "not to be confused with TII from the album."

well...it looks like, in the end, everybody cleaned house, on 'The View', and everything is copasetic. although Behar was remarkably quiet.

Thanks for the link. I must have missed that episode of The View. Is that particular version available anywhere for listening? I want to hear the entire song.

I like PA's new version of the song - with the horns, beat, etc. PA's solo version? Not so much...

I didn’t know Anka before either... this year hi is everywhere. I actually liked this since MJs voice was a big surprise. :D

Gotta say I liked this.....especially the end where MJ comes in. I loved how they jazzed it up a bit. Very well done

Paul's singing style isn't my cup of tea either. However, he is one of the great songwriters and has written hundreds and hundreds of songs. I love "My Way" the most (I loved singing that song in chorus as a kid). And he wrote the Tonight Show theme song. And who can forget "You're Having My baby"? LOL. Ok, not one of his more prolific works but it was a huge hit in my day. I don't like what he claimed Michael did, saying he stole the tapes. That was inappropriate.

except for the fact that Paul Anka kinda sorta "stole" My Way ;)

I think it was a proper tribute i dont get along with hate, not when is not necessary, i forgive Paul Anka, stop the hate now, its time to change, its not good, it leads NOWHERE

He didn't steal it. He wrote the lyrics in English. It's a French song "Comme d’habitude".

do we know who wrote the French version? does the general public? do we give a damn? I guess not.

it still means he didn't WRITE it. he bought (for free, as someone said) the rights, translated the words, and voila -- we got ourselves a huge hit for Mr. Sinatra. I'll say one thing for Paul -- he knew a good thing when he saw it. one of the canniest stars in the industry -- Paul Anka. he was huge even in India. that tells me something. India doesn't need musical stars from the West. they've always been full to the brim with their own. but Paul Anka, the Beatles, and Michael were all huge there. and all were great, shrewd, canny businessmen.

I am the same age as Michael and have grown up with Paul Anka also. He wrote some great songs that many of you have probably never heard of but he was pretty popular for a long time too.

The tabloids made this out to be more of a problem than it actually was to Paul Anka. He was I think 'shocked' that his song turned up on an album being sung by Michael Jackson when originally Michael turned the song down. I think any songwriter would have felt the same way and we don't know what really happened between Michael and Paul but they were both very respected at the time it was recorded.

I think this is a great song and I wish MJ had sung it in a studio with proper acoustics. I do like the song. It has grown on me, but it DOES sound like a Paul Anka style song.

I am the same age as Michael and have grown up with Paul Anka also. He wrote some great songs that many of you have probably never heard of but he was pretty popular for a long time too.

The tabloids made this out to be more of a problem than it actually was to Paul Anka. He was I think 'shocked' that his song turned up on an album being sung by Michael Jackson when originally Michael turned the song down. I think any songwriter would have felt the same way and we don't know what really happened between Michael and Paul but they were both very respected at the time it was recorded.

I think this is a great song and I wish MJ had sung it in a studio with proper acoustics. I do like the song. It has grown on me, but it DOES sound like a Paul Anka style song.

it was co written by them both. and it sounds a little like I just can't stop loving you', which is an MJ style song. i don't know if style is an issue.

Anka was a huge teen idol himself back in the 50's I believe (before my time...finally something BEFORE my time). One of his big hits was "Diana" (not "Dirty Diana" though I like that one better).

Anka was a huge teen idol himself back in the 50's I believe (before my time...finally something BEFORE my time). One of his big hits was "Diana" (not "Dirty Diana" though I like that one better).

He also wrote "Puppy Love" and "The Times of Your Life" and there were other songs he wrote along the way that were big hits for him at the time.

All in all, he is old now, but he was very popular back in the day.

Back