Performances that show Michael's vocals

They are. To hardcore fans. But the tank is more theatrical and it fitted the whole HIStory Tour show concept, just like the dredge fitted perfectly in This Is It.

No, not only to hardcore fans. On contary with what you believe not only hard core fans care about artistic quality and integrity. Actually if you go to any YT concert video you will see in the comment sections that the main thing that is almost always being discussed whether a performance is lip synced or not. That's the main thing people care about not about tanks or any other theatrics.

Let me put it this way: anyone can bring a tank on stage or do any other theatrics. That does not require talent, only a deep pocket. But only Michael Jackson can do those live ad libs. That's why they are magic. So no, bringing a tank on stage does not equal or trump that. Never did and never will.

We can't really know the reason. Maybe he just didn't feel like singing it. Also it was during HIStory Tour when most of the songs were lip-synced.
I'll never know why he did so much lip-synched on the HIStory Era, he wasn't suffering from lupus at that time this performance was recorded, it was right after Prince's birth

I'll never know why he did so much lip-synched on the HIStory Era, he wasn't suffering from lupus at that time this performance was recorded, it was right after Prince's birth

He suffered from lupus his entire life, i think you mean vocal problems in the laryngitis.

He always had lupus, but it wasn't always it attacked. Can you understand what I mean?

How do you know what health problems he might have had or not, though? Anyway, let's not turn this into another lip-sync/HIStory tour topic. Let's get back on topic.

I'm posting this one because this is the night I did a double take and noticed Michael's "adult" voice-maybe because he was singing "More than you know", one of my all time favorite songs. :)

Last edited:
How do you know what health problems he might have had or not, though? Anyway, let's not turn this into another lip-sync/HIStory tour topic. Let's get back on topic.

I mean by his voice, for example in Munich his lupus was "more stronger", you can even note that by his voice

I mean by his voice, for example in Munich his lupus was "more stronger", you can even note that by his voice

No one knows the exact time line of Michael's health issues, so it's futile to go into speculations about what health problems he might or might not had on History tour. Besides, this thread is not for that. Please, let's get back on topic!

No one knows the exact time line of Michael's health issues, so it's futile to go into speculations about what health problems he might or might not had on History tour. Besides, this thread is not for that. Please, let's get back on topic!

I was just making a comment, sorry If I offend you

This is a pretty cool video-compilation strictly of his vocal range when he was a kid.

And as an adult:

Also two articles:

Lowest Note: Eb2
Highest Belt: Bb5
Highest Note: F#6
Exclamation: N/A
Vocal Type: Lyric Tenor (4 octaves, 1 note, and a semi-tone)
Vocal Rating: Star

Positives: What made Michael Jackson stand out as a vocalist was his distinct voice. His vocal "hiccups" (somewhat like gulping for air or gasping) and breathless stutters were legendary. His grunts were achieved with good technique, and added to an already impressive vocal delivery. His vocals could be fierce and demanding (Smooth Criminal), or mellow and heartbroken (Earth Song).

He had the ability to sing both staccato (Smooth Criminal) and legato rhythms in perfect timing. His vocal runs were never overkill and were rapidly fluid. He had the ability to hold notes for extended periods without heavy fluctuation in pitch.

His lows were the darkest part of his range, being heavy and ever-so-slightly smokey. His mid-range gained brightness as it ascended, and his belting range had almost a chameleon edge to it, it could adopt different timbres and tones. It could come with a rock edge, a softer, mellow tone, or a light or heavy timbre.. This allowed for vocal versatility and transitions through different genres.

Contrary to popular belief, he did NOT solely rely on his falsetto register. Of course MJ used it frequently, but it was not an indication of his inability to sing in full voice. In fact, if you listen to the "Butterflies" acapella, you can hear that all the high notes are sung in full voice and not falsetto.

Negatives: Voice lacked power and was naturally androgynous. Sounds child-like on many recordings instead of like a full-grown man well into middle age. Often sacrificed diction for feeling.

Note: There is a lot of flack on the Internet about his range and the counting of exclamations above C6. I'm counting the exclamations in his range because 1) they're not strained 2) They're not unintentional 3) They're clean. And for the Eb2, he has sung down to an F#2 in a 1994 vocal warm-up and the Eb2 is years later in 2001. Given that its only a note and a semi-tone down, I don't have a problem putting it in his range, since in 7 years he could have expanded his range. Either way, he still has a 4 octave range. Finally, I scrapped this baby together by combining info from DivaDevotee, BarkBiteBlog and my own notes.

http://www.criticofmusic.com/2013/05/vocal-range-and-profile-michael-jackson.html

Vocal Type: High Tenor
Vocal Range: 4 Octaves (F2-F6)
Vocal Pluses: Michael Jackson's voice was predominately light and agile with a nimble, rhythmic dexterity that allowed for complex vocal runs, as well as allowing it to mimic instruments- such as drums- or employ trademark grunts and exclamations that were controlled and achieved via proper technique. The voice also had the strength and stamina to hold notes for lengths of time, without wavering in pitch, and the ability to emote the meaning of the lyrics exceptionally.

The low range was the heaviest part of the voice, and was surprisingly dark when compared to the higher parts of the modal range, in which he usually sang. As the voice passed into the midrange it began to lighten and brighten significantly. The chest voice had an elasticity and flexibility that allowed for it to stretch, without much impact on the tone, up to the fifth octave. The belting range had a number of timbres, being either bright, light and smooth, or coarser, slightly heavier and with an edge-see They don't care about us . The falsetto was solid, warm and more resonate than many other male singers, though it was also capable of a softer timbre if so required. Comfortable in this part of the range, Michael Jackson could sing effortlessly here holding notes, or hitting complex staccato notes- see Butterfies.

Unique and immediately recognisable voice that harmonised with itself brilliantly to create luscious and iconic layered vocals.

Vocal Negatives:
Michael Jackson's tone could be considered thin and lacking in resonance, particularly in the mid-to high part of the modal register, when compared to other male singers. It should be noted that many fans consider this to be a unique, and positive, feature of the voice.

http://vocalranges.blogspot.it/2013/01/michael-jackson-vocal-range.html

In addition, this is better quality than the one that is commonly available these days.. i wish this rip was still accessible! looks great

I'm not satisfyed by the wardrobe malfunction explanation TBH, I really wish he hadperformed RTT live on the Dangerous tour or even on TII. Aslo Who Is It. that rehearsal and those beatbox perfornances with Oprah and the Mexico deposition are the closest we can get.

^^Wow Remember the Time was amazing-I went over to YouTube and the comments were quite spectacular.

Brad said he recorded Earth Song last because Michael said it would destroy his voice. Guess that is why he didn´t sing it live.

Virre;4074802 said:
Brad said he recorded Earth Song last because Michael said it would destroy his voice. Guess that is why he didn´t sing it live.

The verses may have been sang live during THIS IS IT! but i certainly think that the last chorus would have been mimed or sung in a higher pitch

^^ all are fully live, except EILY where it only contains live vocals at the beginning.. i would say this

Apparently the TII rehearsal of this song is even better.

I hate you! Stop teasing me with Will You Be There! I WANNA SEE IT SO BADLY!!

The final few minutes of Man in the Mirror at the 1988 Grammys is easily the best live vocal I've seen Michael give. Whenever anyone suggests that he wasn't as good of a singer as some made him out to be, that video shuts them up.

I'm surprised no one has posted 'She's Out Of My Life' live in 1981.. it's my personal favorite of his live vocals. I'd love to see a full show from that tour.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the live performances of Human Nature and especially IJCSLY from TII. That's the best he's sounded live since the Dangerous tour.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the live performances of Human Nature and especially IJCSLY from TII. That's the best he's sounded live since the Dangerous tour.

This right here! I can remember going "HOLY SHIT" :eek: and my mouth being agape as Michael sung his prolonged "Ha-WHYYYYYYYY OHHWHYYYYYYY" at the end. Pretty sure I wasn't the only in the audience either :p

Granted, I wasn't really familiar with Human Nature at the time but boy, was I amazed!

And his vocals at the end of I'll Be There are pretty impressive on This Is It.

I posted that performance, i love 'This Is It' and i'm looking forward to more

Let me put it this way: anyone can bring a tank on stage or do any other theatrics. That does not require talent, only a deep pocket.

Exactly. So, like you said, NOT anyone can bring a tank on stage. Only MJ can do that. Especially then.

Can't believe no one posted this

The second half of MITM is the best performance he ever did of the song

[youtube]ljpl0neGk2Q[/youtube]

This one is precious too
[youtube]uoWKexX3AyA[/youtube]

Back