Planet Earth: Fact- File and Discussion

It´s global green action week with start tomorrow
https://www.facebook.com/globalgreenactionweek

Organic food and farming
for all
Green Action Week 2013 & 2014
http://www.consumersinternational.o..._and_farming_for_all_report gaw_2013-2014.pdf

I try to think of it every day but no and then I´want to sleep a little bit longer and take the car instead of the bus

The report says there are many farms that grow organically but are not certified organic.
It must be regarded as environmentally friendly to buy from them too

What Really Happens to the Plastic You Recycle?

We reduce, reuse and recycle, and still our plastic bottle caps and doodads kill fuzzy baby wildlife by the legion. What more can we do?

This video illustrates one big part of the problem in under four minutes and with few words. A multi-hanky experience, it captures the lives and deaths of albatrosses so young they are still cloaked in downy gray feathers. The footage, which is a trailer for an upcoming movie by Chris Jordan called Midway, was shot on an island 2,000 miles from the nearest continent. That is not far enough to protect the wild birds from our trash.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pUM58LIU2Lo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But we’re recycling plastic, right? New York City, home to millions of bottled water drinkers, recently started recycling all rigid plastic, and many other regions got there first. Well, that was helpful, but as of this year, it’s helping less.

U.S. companies believe that recycling plastic doesn’t pay, so the stuff we separate out from our garbage was shipped to China where it could be processed more cheaply, but there were drawbacks. Transporting the refuse across the ocean took an ecological toll in fuel consumed and sea life killed en route. The mom and pop workshops that do most of China’s plastic recycling have “no facilities to treat waste water before it flows into local rivers.” But the system did keep some discarded material out of landfills.

Until now. As of this year, plastics numbered 3-7 “are absolutely going to a landfill,” says David Kaplan, CEO of an American post-industrial recycler. China has stopped importing plastic trash under its new Green Fence Policy, for which individual Americans bear part of the blame. 20% of the items we tossed into our plastic recycling bins were not washed or were not recyclable. Chinese processors had to bury or burn that material, polluting their air and growing their landfills. In part to keep those contaminants out, their government erected the Green Fence.

The only way to keep recycling our recyclables, Kaplan says, is to find a way to process them economically in the United States. That should actually be easier to do with the Chinese market closed. American processors won’t face competition from the Asian country’s cheaper labor and lax safety standards. They now could make money while paying living wages and not polluting air and water the way Chinese processors do.

Who knows what American processors will do with contaminated material if and when they do start recycling our discarded plastic? Best not to find out: wash out containers before chucking them in the recycling can.

Even if plastic recycling programs do start to work, though, the fluffy little birds will still die. The problem is a monumental vortex of trash, including masses of plastics, swirling around near their island home. Mom and dad go fishing, pick up some plastic instead, and pass it on to Junior. With a belly full of plastic, Junior can’t digest food. Soon all that is left of him is some feathers, a beak, a spine, and a pile of bottle caps where his stomach used to be. One out of every three albatross chicks dies of plastic.

Almost half of all our plastic doesn’t find its way to a recycling plant or a landfill. Instead it joins the waterborne trash heap that is killing albatrosses and other wildlife: the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. If it weren’t in the water it would be the largest landfill in the world. The things people drop on the ground get washed down sewers and through waterways into the ocean, where they are drawn into one of the garbage vortexes (the Great Pacific isn’t the only one).

In the end we are back to reduce, reuse, recycle. To save the albatrosses, prevent air and water pollution, and stop the steady growth of landfills, we need to use less plastic, reuse what we have to obviate the need for new plastic, and recycle it when we’re done so it can be remade into a new item. And one more thing: to arrest the growth of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and similar death traps, we need to stop littering. Plastic goes in the recycling bin. If there isn’t one, it goes in the trash. Otherwise, it goes into a baby bird and ends her life.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/what-really-happens-to-the-plastic-you-recycle.html#ixzz2gaYtNKkw

It starts with us

As consumers of plastic, we can also contribute to cleaner oceans in our daily lives. Plastic is ubiquitous in modern society, but here’s what you can do:
Limit the use and waste of plastic.

Support innovations like cloth grocery bags, reusable containers, and biodegradable materials.

Buy from companies that use post-consumer materials.

Reclaim the plastic that threatens to enter the ocean by supporting beach cleanup efforts.

Start a community awareness initiative or lobby for stronger recycling laws for businesses.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/update-...-patch-yes-its-still-there.html#ixzz2gab3RUaP

Re: MJJC Legacy Team Project: Planet Earth

I've really changed my view on stuff like that.
I've reduced the amount of garbage. You should see the difference with my neighbour. She puts out two BIG bags of garbage and mine is cute and small, looking like a baby to the two HUGE garbage bags standing next to it. :blush:

When I buy something NEW, I'll always check the label if its 'ECO friendly' or if it's recycled like I only use 'recycled' shopping bags now. They are much tougher to use cause plastic tears so easily. I even use 'degradable' garbage bags that go into the garbage bags of the city we have to use.

So, every little thing helps, right?

I've really changed my view on stuff like that.
I've reduced the amount of garbage. You should see the difference with my neighbour. She puts out two BIG bags of garbage and mine is cute and small, looking like a baby to the two HUGE garbage bags standing next to it. :blush:

When I buy something NEW, I'll always check the label if its 'ECO friendly' or if it's recycled like I only use 'recycled' shopping bags now. They are much tougher to use cause plastic tears so easily. I even use 'degradable' garbage bags that go into the garbage bags of the city we have to use.

So, every little thing helps, right?

Yes, every little thing helps.

If you have submitted your used icecream packaging, it has helped to save the energy to make one with new plastic material. In fact, if every Swedish household contributed to the recovery of such a month, carbon emissions would fall by as much as 1200 petrol cars emit annually.
So a little effort from you often become large for the climate.

I have some bags made of cloth I use for shopping and other things.
Now and then I forget them and then I buy one recycled or a paperbag.
A good thing with the bags is that I bought them from a charity.
I saw "Heal the world for children" are selling a bag in their shop , if you buy one you can spread their message about them.

Instead of bottled water we can use tap water, if we want sparling water we can use a soda streamer.

Lead cleanup to close Redington shooting spots another year
September 27, 2013 12:00 am • By Tony Davis Arizona Daily Star

Coronado National Forest will start work next month to clean up at least 300 tons of lead-contaminated soil from three recreational target-shooting sites in Redington Pass northeast of Tucson.

Toxic lead is present in soil at these sites in concentrations of more than 80 times higher than federally recommended cleanup levels, the Forest Service says.

In part because of the cleanup, the Forest Service plans to keep the three sites closed to the public possibly until Sept. 30, 2014. That would be a full year after the original planned reopening date of Sept. 30 of this year.

The extended closure will also allow time for soil testing and some land revegetation once the cleanup is done, the Forest Service said.

The three target-shooting sites, totaling 2.5 acres, have been closed since January to allow authorities to remove shooting debris and conduct a health risk assessment of the area.

The assessment, done in April, found lead levels in soil ranging from 10 to 68,000 parts per million.

The Environmental Protection Agency recommends cleaning lead from soil in nonresidential areas at levels of 800 parts per million, a Forest Service spokeswoman said.

Lead occurs naturally in soil at levels of 50 to 400 parts per million, the EPA says.

The Redington Pass risk assessment had recommended cleaning the soil to 1,572 parts per million. But after reviewing the matter, the Forest Service decided the EPA-recommended level of 800 parts per million would be preferable, said service spokeswoman Heidi Schewel.

The more stringent cleanup level is best suited to this area due to its frequent use by the general public and by nearby residents, Schewel said.

The soil cleanup should be finished by mid-November, Schewel said, although authorities may in the end need to remove additional soil.

Looking ahead, Forest Service officials will try to figure out how to best prevent future contamination when the agency, working with partners, develops a Redington Pass Collaborative Management Plan.

In addition, the Forest Service is working with an applicant on a proposal for a managed shooting range in Redington Pass.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/lea...cle_655814cd-734b-5e37-a48f-a9ae8ba9c75b.html

MJfans thrilled the world dressed in trash to draw attention to littering and the plastics in the ocean
They even showed some films and had guestspeakers
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kfrGvfLHrE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Who´s bad?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WALK5eQctX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29mlzky.jpg

An "EARTH SONG" TO "HEAL THE WORLD" and "MAKE THAT CHANGE" for "THE MAN IN THE MIRROR" so "WILL YOU BE THERE" if WE all "CRY" at the same time tonight... Yet, I say, "HOLD MY HAND" and "I"LL BE THERE" because "WE ARE THE WORLD" and "YOU ARE NOT ALONE" in our hearts we have our "CHILDHOOD" so "DON'T STOP TILL YOU GET ENOUGH" because you're just "ANOTHER PART OF ME" and it don't matter if you're "BLACK OR WHITE" just "REMEMBER THE TIME" and "JAM" because "THIS IS IT"

By: souldreamer7 & Michael Jackson :heart:

Last edited:
lptbanner.jpg

Green Habits​

For Yourself:

1.Appreciate the Earth and all its beings.
2.Go for a walk in nature.
3.Meditate in Nature
4.For a deep immersion into nature, go on a Wilderness Solo

For the Planet:

Conscious Consuming &#8211; Before you make a purchase, do a quick check to yourself.
1.Do I really &#8220;need&#8221; this product?
2.Is the product I need eco-friendly?
3.Is there another product I can buy that will use less of the Earth&#8217;s resources?

Your Home:

Recycle, Recycle, Recycle

By recycling just half of your household waste, you can prevent 2,400 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere. If your neighborhood does not offer a recycling program, visit
and they will help you.
Also Click Here to recycle obscure materials.

Reduce, Reduce, Reduce

Only buy products you need. If you reduce your spending, you will not only be saving money, but you are helping save the environment by consuming less natural resources. Purchase products that are eco-friendly.
Household Product - As well, as you can - Make Your Own Non-Toxic Products.

Eliminate Junk Mail:

Remove your name from mailing lists. More than 4 million tons, 62,000,000 billion pieces of junk mail are printed yearly. Some sources believe the number is as high as 90 billion pieces. Each person receives over 560 pieces of junk mail each year, over 40% of which never gets opened. Amazingly, 2.8 million cars consume less energy than it takes to produce and dispose of the junk mail. Each year over 100 million trees are destroyed to produce junk mail. Please visit these sites to eliminate your junk mail.

http://www.epa.gov/epawaste/index.htm
http://www.41pounds.org/
http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

Lights:
Substitute your current lights with compact fluorescent light bulbs (cfl&#8217;s). The CFL bulb needs 60% less energy than a normal light bulb. This easy substitute will prevent approximately 300 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere each year. If all US households made this substitute, they would prevent over 90 billion pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere each year. Go to Energy Federation to purchase CFL&#8217;s online.

Thermostat:
Adjust your thermostat up 2 degrees in the summer and down 2 degrees in the winter.

By taking this simple step, you would prevent 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere. Cooling and heating your home makes up approximately half of the your home energy needs. Therefore, you could save a lot of money as well by making this simple adjustment. In fact, investing in a programmable thermostat will most likely pay for itself the first year. By lowering the air conditioning or heat before you go to bed and raising it when you wake up each night, this could save you $100.00 a year. For more suggestions on how to save energy, go to the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy.

Filters:
Filter Cleaning and replacement on your air conditioner and furnace can prevent approximately 350 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere each year.

Appliances:
Invest in Appliances that are Energy Efficient. Choose appliances that have the Energy Star Label on them. U.S. households would prevent 175 million tons or carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere each year.

Water:
Placing an insulation blanket around your water heater will prevent 1,000 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere. If you place the setting to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, you will prevent an additional 550 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere. Visit American Water to find out ways to save water.

Electrical Devices:
Turn off your lights, computer, TV, and stereo if you are not using them. Simply plug your devices into a power strip and turn that one switch off when you leave. This simple step will prevent thousands of pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere.

Insulate your home:
If you do this, you could prevent 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere. You also receive the added benefit of saving approximately 25% of your energy bill. For great tips on how to insulate your home, visit,
Consumer Federation of America

Energy:
Tired of getting electric bills in the mail? Substitute your home&#8217;s current power source with renewable power source such as solar or wind. To learn more, go to Green Power Network.

Food:
Eating organic local food helps the environment! Producing and transporting food consumes a lot of fuel and energy.
Here are the facts:

1.The average meal you eat has traveled 1,200 miles. If you buy local food, it will not have to travel as far. Visit the USDA website to find a local farmer&#8217;s market in your neighborhood.

2.Eat more vegetarian and less meat. The second most contributing greenhouse gas next to carbon dioxide is methane. Cows exhale methane because of their grassy diets. More importantly, however, is that most of the forests being destroyed are converted into grazing lands for the cows. The average meat diet demands almost ten times more land than a vegetarian diet. When the forests are destroyed, not only does natural habitat get wiped out, but it releases over a billion tons of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere each year. Giving up just one meat meal each week and you would conserve 40,000 gallons of water, 70 tons of grain, and prevent 300 pounds of greenhouse gasses from entering the atmosphere each year!

An eye opening movie that should be watched by all: Watch An Inconvenient Truth

Plant Trees! Link to Become a RainforestMaker
You don&#8217;t have to be a Tree-Hugger to love trees, unless you'd like too, and why not? Click Hereto learn why trees are valuable and important.

Your Work:
The first 5 steps will save you money!
1.Turn lights off - connect your electrical devices to a power strip and shut it off when you leave.
2.Recycle, Recycle, Recycle
3.Use a glass or ceramic cup to drink, not a paper cup, plastic bottle or can.
4.Use email instead of paper to send mail, documents, reports, and records.
5.Use the double sided feature on your copier whenever possible.
6.Purchase 100 percent post-consumer waste, non-chlorinated paper.

As reported by Conservation.org forty percent of all solid waste is generated from a variety of paper products. Office paper comprises a quarter of that waste, and less than 20 percent of office wastepaper in the U.S. is recovered for recycling. Post-consumer content refers to products that have completed their lives as consumer items, and, if not recycled, would otherwise be disposed of as solid waste. One hundred percent post-consumer waste paper stock is made completely from recycled products. When buying paper, remember, the higher the percentage of post consumer waste, the larger the amount of recycled material in the paper stock.

The majority of paper is chlorinated or bleached to a bright white, creating a pollution by-product. Many paper companies now offer a selection of non-chlorinated paper to avoid this. Look for totally chlorine-free paper stocks (TCF); processed chlorine-free paper (PCF) that contains recycled content produced without chlorine or its derivatives; partially processed chlorine-free paper stock (%PCF); and elementally chlorine-free paper stock (ECF), virgin paper produced without chlorine but with chlorine derivatives. Non-chlorinated paper is more natural in color, but is of the same high quality as the bleached variety.

Your Travel:
Plant Trees while you travel! Here are some good guidelines:

1 tree every 2,000 miles (3200 km) by car
1 tree every 1300 miles (2000 km) by plane
1 tree every 100 gallons (375 liters) of gasoline
1 tree every 1000 kilowatt-hours (one kwhr ~= 1.9 pounds CO2)

2. Alternative Travel.

As you might expect, transportation vehicles are one of the biggest contributors of carbon dioxide. There are several options you can choose from when traveling, all of which would have a lesser impact on the Earth and your wallet. For example, you can walk, Walk to work. Click Here to Learn More!

Bike. Bike to work.Click Here to Learn More!

Carpool. Trying this only twice a week will prevent 1,590 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere. Visit https://www.erideshare.com/ which is a free service that connects commuters. Also visit the Commuter Page
For more information. Carshare These are great alternatives for people who want a car. You pay a reasonable membership fee and this covers your insurance, maintenance, and your gas! Visit http://www.zipcar.com/ to find out more.

Public Transportation. Visit The American Public Transportation Association

Telecommute.
Ever consider working from home? You could save a considerable amount of money and be helping the environment at the same time. Visit: http://www.telcoa.org/ for more information.

Hybrids &#8211; Choose a more fuel efficient vehicle. http://www.greenercars.org/ -and- Green Vehicles

Your Car:
Inflate your tires.
Your gas mileage will improve by at least 3%. You will also prevent 20 pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere for each gallon of gas that you save. Visit Car Care to learn tips on proper inflation.

Regular Maintenance.
Keeping your car regularly maintained will improve your gas mileage and reduce carbon dioxide emissions. If only 1% of automobile owners regularly maintained their car, they would prevent approximately one billion pounds of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere.

"Heal The World
Make It A Better Place
For You And For Me
And The Entire Human Race
There Are People Dying
If You Care Enough
For The Living
Make A Better Place
For You And For Me...."

- Michael Jackson​

Last edited:
iogcnr.jpg

Today is Giving Teusday

#GivingTuesday
A Global Hope. Let us unite, together across the world and help in any way that you can, perhaps it's giving someone in need of love a hug, perhaps you are able to donate to a charity, maybe you could plant trees for Mother Earth or help save the water life. Today is about Giving in any way that you can.
#GIVE

What is #GivingTuesday?

We have a day for giving thanks. We have two for getting deals. This year help us create #GivingTuesday. A new day for giving back. On Tuesday December 3, 2013, global charities, families, businesses, community centers, students and more will come together to create #GivingTuesday.

It&#8217;s a simple idea. Just find a way for your family, your community, your company or your organization to come together to give something more. Then tell everyone you can about how you are giving. Be a part of a national celebration of our great tradition of generosity.

33w3wrc.jpg

Find Out More Here in The Link Below &#9758; &#9758;
GIVING TUESDAY

one kg of recycled plastic reduces the carbon dioxide content with 2 kg compared to producing new plastics.
1 tonne of soft plastic is equivalent to 1,050 liters of oil
When plastic is recycled instead of being incinerated prevents the release of toxic substances

It´s in Swedish but you in the video you can see they are recycling plastics.

http://www.ftiab.se/184.html
A large part of the plastic in my vacuum cleaner is made of recycled plastic

Last edited:
Beautiful Planet Earth

[youtube]8jP8CC2rKj4[/youtube]

When I look at those images, it makes me forget about all the sadness for a while and it makes me feel humble... Makes me fully realise that Michael is so right! Planet Earth is so amazing & beautiful! :heart: Now it's up to us to save it! :yes:
"it's us, Us, or it'll never be done..." - Michael Jackson

:flowers:
Here's another video that made me go "Wow"! Planet Earth you're amazing! :heart:
[youtube]Jdsmh6gBB9Q[/youtube]

I personally cannot stop looking at pictures like this: - Our Mother Earth is all so interesting, like knowing that, that is all up there....wow!

globe_east_540.jpg

galaxytail_stars.jpg

I walked from Abisko to Nikkaluokta with my son years ago.For me it was like a religious experience,even if i´m not religious.I realised I was a small person in a big world and felt humble.-
Speechless,speechless that´s how you make me feel...
My son thought it was a long way to go but some years later he told me this was one of the biggest thing he had done.
I found this video on yóutube.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ek97aUV8qVk?fs=1&hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ek97aUV8qVk?fs=1&hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
[By: MIST]

The following images are truly impressing!

sunset8.jpg

applecross_pass01.jpg

Himalayan_mountains_from_air_001.jpg

the-planet-earth.jpg

iss015e10471_c800.jpg

Here's another picture I saw on the BBC website for an Environmental Photography award shortlist. The detail of the photograph is amazing!

_48795674_71.jpg

Also on Michael's fascination with trees. From the BBC Viewers home pictures slideshow:

_46883826_-12.jpg

_46883753_-8.jpg

_46883840_-17.jpg

_46883851_-22.jpg

_46883879_-28.jpg

_46883937_-35.jpg

_46883964_-43.jpg

_46884007_-52.jpg

_46884081_-62.jpg

_46884106_-73.jpg

_46884216_-85.jpg

_46884264_-98.jpg

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread! :flowers:
It's beautiful! :heart:
&#10084;&#10084;&#10084;Sea-Life - Save Our Waters &#10084;&#10084;&#10084;

humpback_whale_02.jpg

killer-whale.jpg

hawaii.jpg

PH0009.jpg

07_ff.jpg

.Watch, Learn, Love. "Elephants"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cd-LtWtNvDw?fs=1&hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cd-LtWtNvDw?fs=1&hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/go7gpx2PXpE?fs=1&hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/go7gpx2PXpE?fs=1&hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

~If you like those videos you might want to listen to my music: By: Eterna
Indeed Michael was right and will always be right about our planet!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Alck_k3nTA?fs=1&hl=nl_NL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Alck_k3nTA?fs=1&hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M5gKLK04zkE?fs=1&hl=nl_NL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M5gKLK04zkE?fs=1&hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Heal The World
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZnwQALsRTH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MORE TO COME

Last edited:
HEAL THE WORLD

A Michael Jackson fan does her part in helping save our planet through art.

"..Having gotten to know about Michael more, I now have a greater appreciation for many of the songs he wrote that I never took the time to really hear the lyrics, or know the story behind them&#8230;like &#8220;Scream&#8221; and &#8220;They don&#8217;t care about us&#8221;. One of my favorites of his when I was little though was &#8220;Heal the World&#8221;. I always knew the great message in this song, and as part of my tribute I wanted to sing it&#8230;because I believe it encompasses Michael&#8217;s true spirit and what he was really about. So this goes out to him."
"Heal The World" - Amy Grace

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0BGQR9GRxtw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

healtheworld1.jpg

healtheworld2.jpg

healtheworld3.jpg

These photos belong to © Amy Grace www.acosmicconnection.com
2009-2013

VISIT Amy Grace's Site for MichaelJackson Ispiration - A Cosmic Connection:
http://www.acosmicconnection.com/2009/07/heal-the-world-2/

Last edited:

Essential viewing! It's over half hour long but well worth that time. Such amazing work in a hostile environment :D

Just some good dirt

Mark of the Ancients

He had lived in the desert all his life, but for me it was all new. "See that footprint in the sand?" he asked, pointing to a spot by the cliff. I looked as close as I could. "No, I don't see anything."

"That's just the point." He laughed. "Where you can't see a print, that's where the Ancient Ones walked."

We went on a little farther, and he pointed to an opening, high up on the sandstone wall. "See that house up there?" he asked. I squinted hard. "There's nothing to see."

"You're a good student." He smiled. "Where there's no roof or chimney, that's where the Ancient Ones are most likely to have lived."

We rounded a bend, and before us was spread a fabulous sight, thousands upon thousands of desert flowers in bloom. "Can you see any missing?" he asked me. I shook my head. "It's just wave after wave of loveliness."

"Yes," he said in a low voice. "Where nothing is missing, that's where the Ancient Ones harvested the most."

I thought about all this, about how generations had once lived in harmony with the earth, leaving no marks to scar the places they inhabited. At camp that night I said, "You left out one thing."

"What's that?" he asked.

"Where are the Ancient Ones buried?"

Without reply, he poked his stick into the fire. A bright flame shot up, licked the air, and disappeared. My teacher gave me a glance to ask if I understood this lesson. I sat very still, and my silence told him I did.

Michael Jackson

:pleased:

I love this thread! I'm very passionate about this stuff :wub: To me, taking care of the earth includes taking care of the ones that live on earth. To start, I'm a vegetarian and I don't buy eggs unless they are free run (meaning the hens roam free in the facility) and that is important to me because animals don't have a voice and are taken advantage of in unspeakable ways. For anyone who's interested please watch this video. Warning: graphic and heartbreaking!

http://www.meatvideo.com/
see also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuQ-J04eLQ

We need to be their voice!
Anyways, It's hard to control my ranting about the topic of which I could go on forever about. lol
If people learn compassion and practice peace and love towards all of our fellow earthlings, the world would undoubtedly be a beautiful place!

It starts with you. Let's make Michael proud!

52 Cheap ways to go green in 2014!

Make a change every week of the year!

Going green isn't as tough as you think.
Slowly make the switch by making one easy change each week of the year.

co-friendly & economical

The Green Year

Imagine an entire year of living green.

Not only would you reduce your carbon footprint by a massive amount, but you could probably inspire others to do the same.

Here's a book for ideals to 'Go Green"
Jodi Helmer's book The Green Year gives you 365 small, inexpensive things you can do to make a big difference in saving the planet and making your home more eco-friendly.

The book features a frugal tip for each day each day plus a space where you can write suggestions that are more practical for your lifestyle. In addition, there's a place for you to check off each action, so there's no losing track of your place on your "green adventure."

Whether you do the tips on the designated days or when it's convenient for you, The Green Year gives you an easy-to-follow green guide that you can refer back to anytime during the year &#8212; and years to come.

All it takes is lots of little changes to make a really big difference. Go ahead and do your part, starting today.

the-green-year.jpg

Here are 52 inexpensive ways to go green:

1. Don't heat an empty house! During the winter, turn down your thermostat to 68 degrees F when you're home and 55 degrees F at night and while you're away.

2. Your computer may go to sleep, but it's still sucking up energy. Turn your computer off at the end of the day. In addition, take steps to create an eco-friendly workplace.

3. Clean your refrigerator coils &#8212; vacuum out the dust and wipe with a damp cloth. You'll be surprised at how much nasty stuff accumulates down there!

4. Look into carpooling. Need convincing? Read why your green commute will save you money.

5. Taking a road trip? Rent a hybrid car. Here are a few more eco-friendly travel tips.

6. Add your fireplace ashes to your compost pile.

7. Support green businesses.

8. Cancel your newspaper subscription and read the news online instead. (We'll bet you're already doing this one!)

9. Buy rechargeable batteries. Learn to dispose of old batteries properly.

10. Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins at dinner. Consider serving fair-trade wine.

11. Recycle &#8212; all the cool kids are doing it these days! Not sure what is recyclable? Check out a recycle chart.

12. Buy your dog a hemp or canvas leash instead of nylon.

13. Stop throwing away your dryer lint! Put it in the backyard for the birds &#8212; they use it to feather their nests.

14. Share your magazines &#8212; read them then pass them on. Goodwill, the Kidney Foundation and other used goods collection agencies will usually accept them. You can also pass them along to a doctor's office for the waiting room.

15. Take a hike. Take advantage of this eco-friendly fitness gear.

16. File your taxes electronically to cut back on paper usage. Look into having your tax forms emailed to you instead of mailed as well.

17. Donate old newspapers to animal shelters and take your plastic shopping bags back to participating grocery stores. Better yet, purchase cloth or canvas grocery bags and skip that part altogether.

18. Shop for eco-friendly beauty products. Also consider eco-friendly fashion lines and eco-friendly home decor.

19. Take your own mug to the coffee shop &#8212; some shops will even give you a discount for bringing your own cup. Find out if your coffee is triple certified.

20. Get e-tickets for the movies through apps like Fandango or get e-tickets and boarding passes when traveling.

21. Buy a new houseplant. For a greener home, read 10 Eco-friendly ways to green your home and family.

22. Schedule your errands back-to-back to consolidate your trip and save gas or ride your bike or walk when possible.

23. Repair your leaky faucet (especially if you live in a drought-prone area), then follow these five ways to dress your nest green. Not only will the earth thank you, but so will your wallet!

24. Pack your lunch in an insulated lunch bag instead of paper or plastic bags. While you're at it, make organic meals and try out new green recipes with these simple eco-friendly recipes.

25. Put a cover on your pool when you're not using it. Not only will it keep the water cleaner, but it will keep it from evaporating, saving you refills.

26. Start a compost pile in your backyard. Here is your guide to compost gardening.

27. Start a compost pile in your backyard. Here is your guide to compost gardening.

28. Get the junk out of your trunk (literally!) &#8212; extra weight in your car decreases fuel efficiency.
29. Have a yard sale &#8212; or visit one before you head out to buy something new.
30. Switch to an all-natural dishwasher detergent or make your own eco-friendly cleaning products.

31. Pick up litter as you're walking around. You didn't get to enjoy the $5 latte, but you get to know you put the cup in the recycle bin for free.

32. Take the stairs instead of the elevator (great for the environment and your health).
33. If you have a baby, use cloth diapers instead of disposables.

34. Buy used or e-books instead of new.

35. Join Freecycle to find items you need or get rid of items you don't.

36. Buy a bigger jug of milk. If you only use half a gallon at a time, you can pour half the milk into a carafe and freeze the rest.

37. Use compact fluorescent, LED or halogen bulbs instead of conventional incandescents.

38. For your kids, buy crayons made of soybean oil, not paraffin. For your babies, try eco-baby shops.

39. Wear an extra sweater or use a blanket before you resort to turning on (or up) the heat.

40. Buy eco-friendly pet toys (Fido and Fifi will never know the difference). Be sure you also raise an environmentally-friendly pet.

41. Call a mechanic to get a tune-up for your car to avoid excess wear and tear on your automobile, saving money on gas and ensuring your vehicle runs cleaner.

42. Pay your bills online (and opt for paperless billing) to reduce paper usage and postage costs.

43. Switch to a manual can opener. It's really not that complicated!

44. Buy a refillable container for your water or morning coffee instead of using paper cups or store-bought water bottles. Buy one with a built-in filter to avoid tap water instead of purchasing bottle after bottle of "spring water."

45. Get out your rake and leave your leaf blower in the garage to cut down on emissions (not to mention get a good workout). Check out these other ways to eco-friendly fitness.

46. Switch to Energy Star-qualified appliances when you upgrade. Even if they cost a little more, they'll actually save you on your electricity bill in the long run.

47. Keep your freezer full &#8212; it runs more efficiently than an empty one.

48. Use chlorine-free feminine hygiene products, or try products like the menstrual cup.

49. Ask dinner guests to bring reusable to-go containers with them (or keep inexpensive ones you don't mind losing on hand) so you can easily pack them some goodies to go home. (Think about cooking a couple of vegetarian holiday dishes, too.)

50. Invest in a roasting pan instead of using disposable ones (you'll save money in the long run and it's a lot easier to pull a full ham or turkey out of the oven in a sturdy pan than an aluminum one).

51. Planning a party or wedding? Hire green vendors and go with natural decorations when possible. If you'd like to make a statement with your nuptials, plan a green and organic wedding.

52. Make a resolution to be even more eco-friendly next year, 2015

Last edited:
10 Easy Ways To Be Green

1. Reduce Just by turning off the tap while brushing your teeth or shaving, you can save more than 200 gallons of water per month. Here are some other effective ways you can help to conserve resources &#8230;
Turn off the lights when leaving a room.
Use both sides of the paper when printing and copying.
Walk or bike instead of driving.
Take short showers.
Drink tap water instead of bottled water.
Remove unnecessary items from your car to reduce weight.
Regularly replace the filter on your HVAC system.
Install faucet aerators.
Use cold water to wash clothes.
Stop junk mail.
Install a programmable thermostat in your home.

(Source: U.S. EPA)

2. Unplug Unused Electronics Did you know that a cell phone charger can still consume electricity even when a phone isn't connected to it? In the average home, 25% of the electricity used to power home electronics is consumed while the products are turned off. To stop these "phantom loads" when devices are not in use, unplug them or connect them to power strips, which can then be turned off. (Source: U.S.DOE)

3. Recycle By recycling materials such as aluminum cans, newspapers, and glass jars, you can save energy and landfill space, conserve natural resources, and also prevent pollution. Recycling one ton of paper saves 17 mature trees, 7,000 gallons of water, three cubic yards of landfill space, two barrels of oil, and 4,100 kilowatt-hours of electricity &#8211; enough energy to power the average US home for five months. Visit our recycling directory to find recycling opportunities in your community. (Source: U.S. EPA)

4. Look For The ENERGY STAR Label If a product has the ENERGY STAR seal, it meets certain energy efficiency standards. Home appliances, electronics, windows, and roofing are just a few of the products that can qualify, so check a product&#8217;s box or manual, or speak to a salesperson to see if it is ENERGY STAR compliant. In 2006, ENERGY STAR products helped US consumers save an estimated $14 billion on their utility bills. In addition to energy savings, there are rebates and federal tax credits available for some ENERGY STAR products. Visit ENERGYSTAR.gov or our energy section for more information. (Source: ENERGY STAR)

5. Use Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) Almost all of the electricity used by an incandescent bulb is converted to heat and not light; CFLs provide a much more efficient alternative. ENERGY STAR labeled CFLs use up to 75 percent less energy and last up to 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs, saving an average of $30 over the lifetime of each bulb. To maximize their effectiveness, check the packaging to make sure that each CFL is the proper type and wattage for your lamps. (Source: ENERGY STAR)

6. Fix Leaks A faucet that leaks one drip per second can waste more than 3,000 gallons of water each year. A leaky toilet can waste up to 200 gallons of water every day. To determine whether your toilet has a leak, place a drop of food coloring in the tank; if the color appears in the bowl without flushing, you have a leak. To find and fix air leaks, ENERGY STAR offers a free guide. (Source: U.S. EPA)

7. Buy Recycled Look for the words "postconsumer" or "recycled" when shopping. There are over 4,500 recycled-content products available including paper towels, printer paper, note pads, packing boxes, sleeping bags, laundry detergent bottles, glass containers, nails, carpeting, trash cans, and trash bags. The amount of postconsumer content can vary from a small percentage to 100 percent, so look for labels that indicate the highest percentage. (Source: U.S. EPA)

8. Computer Power Management Enable low-power sleep modes and turn off computers and monitors at night. General Electric implemented power management features on 75,000 of its computers, annually saving the company $2.5 million dollars and preventing 20,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions. For step-by-step instructions on how to optimize the settings on your computer, visit ENERGY STAR. Network administrators can also set system wide power management settings by using EZ GPO, a free software tool from ENERGY STAR. (Source: ENERGY STAR)

9. Properly Dispose of Hazardous Waste Electronics, CFLs, certain batteries, and other household hazardous wastes contain toxic materials so they should not be sent to landfills where they can pollute the surrounding land and water. A single computer monitor may contain 4 pounds of lead as well as other toxic heavy metals. Many companies and municipal governments offer free collection programs, and in some cases you can even get paid to recycle old electronics. Visit our collection events page to find disposal options. (Source: U.S. EPA)

10. Fresh, Local, Organic Food travels an average of 1,200 miles before it reaches your plate, so buy locally produced items to save energy and prevent emissions from going into the air. Visit USDA.gov to find a farmers market in your area. Also, choose fresh foods instead of frozen, since frozen foods require 10 times more energy to produce. Finally, organic foods are both good for the environment and good for your health since synthetic hormones, most conventional pesticides, as well as other potentially hazardous practices are not used. (Source: U.S. EPA)

Are you looking to do more? Calculate your carbon footprint and discover other important changes that you can make. To find more information and take additional steps, visit government websites such as epa.gov, energy.gov, fueleconomy.gov, and www.energystar.gov
LINKS - (Sources):
http://www.ourearth.org/education/greentips.html

Last edited:
Earth Day 2014

Our Earth is in Our Hands

effbqw.jpg

Our planet is at a turning point. The massive global migration underway now from and countryside to cities will demand huge investments in energy, water, materials, waste, food distribution, transportation over the next 25 years. If the right investments are made now, this unique opportunity will be the catalyst for dramatic changes in the built environment and the fight against carbon emissions and climate change.

Get involved with Earth Day!

Every year on April 22, over a billion people in 190 countries take action for Earth Day. From San Francisco to San Juan, Beijing to Brussels, Moscow to Marrakesh, people plant trees, clean up their communities, contact their elected officials, and more&#8212;all on behalf of the environment.

Like Earth Days of the past, Earth Day 2014 will focus on the unique environmental challenges of our time. As the world&#8217;s population migrates to cities, and as the bleak reality of climate change becomes increasingly clear, the need to create sustainable communities is more important than ever. Earth Day 2014 will seek to do just that through its global theme: Green Cities. With smart investments in sustainable technology, forward-thinking public policy, and an educated and active public, we can transform our cities and forge a sustainable future. Nothing is more powerful than the collective action of a billion people.

As the global organizer behind Earth Day, Earth Day Network creates tools and resources for you to get involved with Earth Day in your community. Here&#8217;s how you can participate:

JOIN THIS YEAR'S EARTH DAY 2014 - 22nd of April 2014 - A GLOBAL EVENT.

VISIT:
http://www.earthday.org/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ftiCdUNkugM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D806hNr-mrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's Time For This Year's 'EARTH HOUR 2014'

1900153_323148647836021_468489693_n.jpg

Join millions of people across the world who switch lights off for an hour - to raise awareness for the planet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xuvoyNSblP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

This year Earth Hour Present's "HOUR BLUE"

Welcome to Earth Hour Blue.
Use your power to make change a reality.

VISIT EARTH HOUR SITE FOR ALL INFO. 29th of March 2014 -Check For Your Local Time HERE:

http://www.earthhour.org/

The Sources:

http://www.earthhour.org/join-the-hour

http://www.earthhour.org/earth-hour-around-world

http://www.earthhour.org/spiderman

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/earthhour

@Twitter: https://twitter.com/earthhour

Tweet/Retweet Post: Use #YourPower for #EarthHour www.bit.ly/1gdSCVX Youtube: http...r/ Tumblr: [URL]http://earthhour.tumblr.com/

Google+: https://plus.google.com/+EarthHour/about

Instagram: http://instagram.com/earthhourofficial

1800345_581786691913758_404316782_n.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earth Hour Around the World
MJTinkerBell Contributes

[youtube]hZhbIyrx4AQ[/youtube]

[youtube]9hXDzCtXguY[/youtube]

[youtube]H7L3ZVd407Y[/youtube]

New-Zealand-flat-icon.png

New Zealand

australia%20flag.png

Australia - 3 hours later

japan%20flag_0.png

Japan - 4 hours later

taiwan%20flag.png

Taiwan - 5 hours later

hongkong%20flag_0.png

Hong Kong - 5 hours later

indonesia%20flag_0.png

Indonesia - 5 hours later

malaysia%20flag.png

Malaysia - 5 hours later

brunei%20flag%202.png

Brunei - 5 hours later

philippines%20flag_0.png

Philippines - 5 hours later

singapore%20flag.png

Singapore - 5 hours later

china%20flag_0.png

China - 5 hours later

vietnam%20flag_0.png

Vietnam - 6 hours later

nepal%20flag.png

Nepal - 7 hours and 15 mins later

sri-lanka%20flag.png

Sri Lanka - 7 hours and 30 mins later

india%20flag_0.png

India - 7 hours and 30 mins later

georgia%20flag_0.png

Georgia - 9 hours later

uae%20flag_0.png

United Arab Emirates - 9 hours later

mauritius%20flag_0.png

Mauritius - 9 hours later

iran%20flag.png

Iran - 9 hours and 30 mins later

saudi-arabia%20flag_0.png

Saudi Arabia - 10 hours later

tanzania%20flag_0.png

United Republic of Tanzania - 10 hours later

uganda%20flag_0.png

Uganda - 10 hours later

kenya%20flag.png

Kenya - 10 hours later

kuwait%20flag.png

Kuwait - 10 hours later

madagascar%20flag_0.png

Madagascar - 10 hours later

russia%20flag_0.png

Russia - 10 hours later

cyprus%20flag.png

Cyprus - 11 hours later

greece%20flag.png

Greece - 11 hours later

swaziland%20flag.png

Swaziland - 11 hours later

finland%20flag_0.png

Finland - 11 hours later

bulgaria%20flag.png

Bulgaria - 11 hours later

romania%20flag_0.png

Romania - 11 hours later

spain%20flag.png

Spain - 12 hours later

serbia%20flag_0.png

Serbia - 12 hours later

slovenia%20flag_0.png

Slovenia - 12 hours later

liechtenstein%20flag.png

Liechtenstein - 12 hours later

hungary%20flag.png

Hungary - 12 hours later

macedonia%20flag.png

Macedonia - 12 hours later

albania%20flag.png

Albania - 12 hours later

netherlands%20flag.png

Netherlands - 12 hours later

norway%20flag.png

Norway - 12 hours later

nigeria%20flag_0.png

Nigeria - 12 hours later

poland%20flag.png

Poland - 12 hours later

portugal%20flag.png

Portugal - 12 hours later

belgium%20flag_0.png

Belgium - 12 hours later

croatia%20flag.png

Croatia - 12 hours later

france%20flag.png

France - 12 hours later

slovakia%20flag.png

Slovakia - 12 hours later

scotland.png

Scotland - 13 hours later

uk%20flag.png

United Kingdom - 13 hours later

brazil%20flag.png

Brazil - 16 hours later

grenada%20flag.png

Grenada - 17 hours later

trinidad-tobago%20flag.png

Trinidad and Tobago - 17 hours later

ecucador%20flag.png

Ecuador - 18 hours later

jamaica%20flag.png

Jamaica - 18 hours later

colombia%20flag.png

Colombia - 18 hours later

costa-rica%20flag_0.png

Costa Rica - 19 hours later

guatemala%20flag_0.png

Guatemala - 19 hours later

usa%20flag_0.png

United States - 21 hours later

canada%20flag.png

Canada - 21 hours later

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I respect the secrets & magic of nature. That's why it makes me so angry to see these things that are happening, you know? That every second I hear that the size of a football field is torn down in the Amazon.
That kind of stuff really bothers me.

That's why I write these kinds of songs,you know? To give some sense of awareness & awaking and hope to people. I love the Planet. I love Trees. I have this thing for trees and the colors & changing of leaves.
I love it! I respect those kind of things."
~Michael Jackson

Earth hour cake

bottom:

150 g of organic sweet almond
150 g organic walnuts
100g organic dates, preferably fresh, juicy

chocolate mousse:
150g organic dates, preferably fresh, juicy
2 ripe avocado ecological
2 ripe organic bananas
1 cup organic cocoa (or raw cacao)
1 tsp vanilla powder
0.75 ml (110 g) agave syrup
1 pinch salt

To do this:

1. Bottom: create a form that measures about 18 x 20 cm with baking paper.
2nd Mix almonds and walnuts finely in a food processor. Weigh the dates and seeding them. Add the dates to the nut mixture and mix together to form a crumbly and slightly sticky mass.
3rd Press out the mass in the bottom of the pan.
4th Chocolate mousse: Weigh the dates and seeding them. Run them into puree in a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and blend for a minute to a creamy mousse. Spread the mousse in an even layer in the dish. Let stand in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
5th Loosen the cake from the mold by grasping the parchment paper and lift it over to a cutting board. Cut the cake into long thin pieces. Easiest if you rinse the blade with hot water between each knivtag.

http://www.wwf.se/vrt-arbete/klimat...-earth-hour-bakelsen-2014-raw-food-chokladdrm

Yes, It’s Cold, and Yes, the Climate Is Still Changing
by s.e. smith
March 22, 2014
11:30 am

179 get causes updates Tell me if you’re tired of hearing this line: “Hey, smartypants, if the planet is heating up, how come this winter has been so cold?!” In the wake of the polar vortex, torrential rain and flooding in areas as far-flung as England and New Zealand, and a grinding winter that’s leading people to make jokes about the White Witch, people who aren’t familiar with the science behind climate change are claiming that recent weather conditions disprove the very well-supported theory of global climate trends. If you’re grinding your teeth every time you hear them, we’ve got some arguments to help you out.

1. Climate is not weather

Climate is about complex overall trends and average patterns. A rainy Wednesday isn’t “climate,” it’s just weather. Climate scientists look at precipitation, temperatures, humidity, wind patterns, atmospheric pressure, airborne particulates, and a variety of other factors to measure large, systemic trends. They also look not just regionally, but globally. Their work includes monitoring ongoing weather conditions but they also look back over historic records, and they use cool tools like analyzing tree rings for insight into historic climate conditions as well as taking a close look at paintings for information about how the weather looked hundreds of years ago.

2. The Earth just experienced its fourth warmest January on record

While Northern Hemispherans might have been freezing, in Australia, people were suffering with record temperatures in excess of 120 degrees Fahrenheit, and even in California, things were pretty toasty: the state had the warmest winter ever recorded. (California also notably experienced extreme drought conditions in January, a far cry from the usual endless rain the northern part of the state experiences during the month.) Remember that climate change is about averages, not single data points, so the fact that it was unusually cold (or hot) in one specific place isn’t as important as overall trends.

3. Sounds weird, but more snow = warmer climate

Say what? Yes, really. Here’s how it works: because heat can’t make its way out to space as a result of gases in the atmosphere, the Earth is getting warmer (“global warming,” one aspect of climate change). Heat increases humidity as water evaporates from warming oceans, and all that trapped moisture in the air has to precipitate out. If you were in England this year, you saw it in the form of rain. If you were in an area where temperatures dropped extremely low, like the Eastern Seaboard, you witnessed endless snow. Even though you might have been cold, the planet wasn’t.

4. Guess what: This winter wasn’t actually that cold

Residents of the East Coast might cry foul here, but it’s true. These brutal winters are actually among average values historically — they just feel colder because in recent years, winters have been abnormally warm. Think about it this way: lukewarm water feels cold if you’ve just been dipping your fingers in hot water.

Remember that climate change is about shifts in climate patterns. While people may argue about the cause, there’s ample evidence to show that the planet’s climate is changing, and that this change is historic in terms of its unprecedented speed, and potentially devastating. We rely on a very narrow range of average
temperatures to live in comfort. A few degrees can make a difference between a catastrophically high elevation in sea levels, crop failures and other pressures that will make life on Earth very uncomfortable for all of us.

The situation has become so dire that NASA, a normally pretty staid government agency, has warned of “irreversible collapse” across industrial civilizations on Earth unless we act fast to correct climate change and a host of chained issues, including water availability and pressure on agriculture, among others.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/yes-its-cold-and-yes-the-climate-is-still-changing.html#ixzz2xtbiB6SA

This is my current Nature project :blush:

I found a box in the store with sunflower seeds complete with soil and degradable containers to plant them in. So, I took up the challenge again. The box said it would take the seeds a FEW weeks to sprout. On the 2nd day, they already saw day light. I'm sure Michael is taking care of them cause they were 'born' in my Michaelized office :blush:

Anyway, here's a piccie of them... They have already grown since I took the last piccie but I'm so proud of them cause they are growing in 'recycled' plastic containers and 'the supports' you see to help them grow are strips of carton.

SunflowerProject_zps5f9f07c4.jpg

I :love: ECO projects like that :blush:

Worst garbage - cigarette butt

1 billion. Each year.
1 billion cigarette butts end up on our streets and squares in Sweden each year. The worldwide network Clean Up the World estimates that about 4,500 billion cigarette butts every year are thrown on the ground.

The butt is dangerously small debris. The cigarette filter is made ??of cellulose acetate, a form of plastic. In the filter sticks tobacco substances , substances that also are hazardous in nature, including cadmium, which is also found in batteries.

58 percent of all garbage in urban areas is tobacco related products like butts, cellophane paper and cigarette packets.

The individual butt is the individual's responsibility. All littering are prohibited in the Environmental Code. The issue of cigarette packets covered tobacco companies of the regulation on producer responsibility for packaging (1997:185). They are thus required to provide information about how the packaging they produce will be sorted and how they are recycled

The last part is the rules in Sweden

What is SHFT.com?

SHFT is a lifestyle platform founded by film producer Peter Glatzer and actor-filmmaker Adrian Grenier. Our mission is to convey a more sustainable approach to the way we live through film, design, art and food.

It takes a lot to make a movement on the quotidian level. As filmmakers who are concerned with climate change, we felt that we could bring something creative to express the changes we wanted to see and were, gratefully, starting to observe. We feel that film, design, art and food are powerful and inspiring ways to convey this narrative. That SHFT was our particular tool to tell this story.

We also embrace the idea that consumers have the power to make change. Businesses respond to the demand of their customers. SHFT celebrates the burgeoning sustainable marketplace where great design and innovation meet. We vote with our dollars and can have a powerful impact when we do.

Finally, we wanted to explore the idea that “environmentalism” as a movement, as a separate category, has become anathema. Sustainability should be folded into the fabric of our lives, a part of our consciousness that touches everything we do. It should be reflected in our culture, our art, our music and design, and nudge us further towards the sustainable direction in which we’re inevitably headed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BtPf5PbroO0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Visit SHFT.com to find out more ways to reduce your carbon footprint, healthy living with an eco friendly, woven cultural movement by you.

Make a Shift
SHFT.com The Culture of
Today's Environment

Here: http://www.shft.com/

Join the biggest global march in history

Find an event near you
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/event/climate/?cl=5862219950&v=46188

]This is an invitation to change everything.
In September, world leaders are coming to New York City for a UN summit on the climate crisis. UN Secretary* General Ban Ki-*moon is urging governments to support an ambitious global agreement to dramatically reduce global warming pollution.
With our future on the line and the whole world watching, we’ll take a stand to bend the course of history. We’ll take to the streets to demand the world we know is within our reach: a world with an economy that works for people and the planet; a world safe from the ravages of climate change; a world with good jobs, clean air and water, and healthy communities.
To change everything, we need everyone on board.
Sunday, September 21 in New York City. Join us.
http://peoplesclimate.org/march/

The People's Climate March will be the largest rally for climate action ever. More than 600 diverse groups including moms, environmental justice organizations, labor unions, student groups, and many more will march together to show the world that we must act on climate; for our future and that of generations to come.
Events
http://peoplesclimate.org/events/

Find an event near you
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/event/cl...219950&v=46188

Thank You MIST and Everyone who alerted us to this, which needs to be spread everywhere for everyone to see. It's very important!

I found this on vimeo while looking through Planet Earth initiatives:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/105412070?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;badge=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/105412070">"DISRUPTION" - a film by KELLY NYKS & JARED P. SCOTT</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/watchdisruption">Watch Disruption</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Last edited:
Back