Poll: DVD Release Date, DISCUSS re: DVD and Blu Ray Dec '09 or Jan '10?

Predict when DVD will be released

• November or December 2009

Votes: 127 50.6%
  • January or February 2010

Votes: 104 41.4%
  • March, April 2010

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • May, June 2010

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • It will be released after June 2010

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
i am going to get the dvd and the blue ray even tho i dont have a blue ray player...i might one day tho :)
Haha yeah I thought I'd buy the bluray too, even though I don't have the player. Just in case :cheeky:

You guys should be trying to shoot for the Blu-Ray version regardless.

Why would you want to watch Michael in any less possible format. They shot most of TII in High Definition. Buying a DVD of TII, the picture quality is going to be knocked down to standard definition. Then with TII being 2 hours in length, that's going to take up the entire DVD disc right there which will leave no room for any bonus video, or uncut clips being added.

I knew from the start since seeing TII in theatres that I would get the BR version. Pre-ordered it the next day.
I don't have a BR player yet, but the day Sony ships TII I will go out and get a BR player, most likely a Pioneer or Samsung brand.

I would love to see Michael in the best possible format, especially with the quality of his other DVDs being less than stellar.

Unfortunately, it's just not practical for me to purchase a BR player when this disc would be the only one for me to play on it. Not to mention, I can't really afford a BR player. I just hope that Sony isn't going to pull this crap where they put certain extras on one disc and different extras on another. I wouldn't put it past them, however.

I would love to see Michael in the best possible format, especially with the quality of his other DVDs being less than stellar.

Unfortunately, it's just not practical for me to purchase a BR player when this disc would be the only one for me to play on it. Not to mention, I can't really afford a BR player. I just hope that Sony isn't going to pull this crap where they put certain extras on one disc and different extras on another. I wouldn't put it past them, however.
But you can play dvd's in the bluray player, too, isn't that true?

But you can play dvd's in the bluray player, too, isn't that true?

Yes you can. But then again, why would you?? If you do have a Blu-ray player, why not buy it on Blu-ray????

Yes you can. But then again, why would you?? If you do have a Blu-ray player, why not buy it on Blu-ray????
Of course, I was just pointing it out for mj1985 who thought TII would be the only disk to play in bluray player if she buys it. :)

LOL I just realized I'd also have to buy a new TV if I bought a BR player :bugeyed

Amazon UK and HMV both have the release date as February 22nd now.

Because the UK are having to wait almost a month - they are including an exclusive featurette just for us!
THE UNFINISHED REHEARSALS - which I know some of you have been waiting for!

The original press release...

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71712/michael-jackson’s-this-is-it-r2uk-bd-in-february.html

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment have announced the UK DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Michael Jackson’s This Is It on 22nd February 2010. Michael Jackson’s This is It offers a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out concerts that would have taken place beginning summer 2009 in London’s O2 Arena. Chronicling the months from April through June, 2009, the film is drawn from more than one hundred hours of behind-the-scenes footage, featuring Jackson rehearsing a number of his songs for the show.

The European release arrives a month after the US offering and will include an exclusive never-before seen additional featurette ‘The Unfinished Rehearsals’ in which Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotton reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.

The Blu-ray release also includes an exclusive 24 page photo booklet which is a unique archive of photographs taken during the final rehearsals.

Coming Soon Trailer: Quicktime / Windows Media.

Available on 1-Disc DVD (£19.99 RRP), 2-Disc DVD (£22.99 RRP) and Blu-ray Disc (£24.99 RRP), features are outlined below…

Single Disc DVD Bonus Material
  • “Staging the Return: The Adventure Begins” Making-of Documentary
    This in-depth documentary reveals Michael Jackson’s unique, groundbreaking vision for his ambitious return to the stage, with director Kenny Ortega and the entire crew from This Is It.
  • “Staging the Return: Beyond the Show” Making-of Documentary
    Director Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It discuss Michael Jackson's final rehearsals, and the purpose behind creating the concert film.
  • “The Gloved One” Costumes Featurette
    Costume Designer Zaldy reveals the elaborate new costumes created for Michael Jackson to wear on the This Is It tour.
  • “Memories of Michael” Featurette
    Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It share personal stories about working with Michael Jackson, and how they will remember their friend.
  • “Auditions: Searching for the World's Best Dancers” Featurette
    A look at the high-stakes audition process, which began with over 5,000 applicants and ended with the selection of 11 exceptionally talented dancers.
  • “The Unfinished Rehearsals” Featurette
    Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotten reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
  • Theatrical Trailer

Two-Disc Special Edition DVD Bonus Material - As above plus a second disc with the following additional featurettes:
  • Meet the Dancers
    Meet each of the 11 dancers chosen among thousands to dance with Michael Jackson on his This Is It tour.
  • Meet the Band
    Go behind the scenes with the band members chosen to perform on the This Is It tour with Michael Jackson
  • Meet the Vocalists
    Go behind the scenes with the vocalists selected to sing with Michael Jackson on the This Is It Tour

Blu-ray Disc - Includes all of the DVD extras plus the following exclusives:
  • “Dancing Machine’ featurette
    Choreographer Travis Payne discusses collaborating with dancing legend Michael Jackson on the choreography for his This Is It tour.
  • Photo Gallery with 75 insider photos from the rehearsals
  • BD Exclusive: “Smooth Criminal” Vignette
    The full-length vignette starring Michael Jackson which was to be shown before the performance of “Smooth Criminal” at the This Is It concert.
  • BD Exclusive: “Making ‘Smooth Criminal’” Featurette
    An in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the groundbreaking production of the new “Smooth Criminal” film created for This Is It.
  • BD Exclusive: “Thriller” Vignette
    The full-length vignette which was to be shown during the performance of “Thriller” at the This Is It concert.
  • BD Exclusive: movieIQ: connects you to access real-time information on the cast, music, trivia and more while watching the movie! Also includes the "This Is It" interactive playlist where you can bookmark your favourite songs featured in the film and email yourself a customized playlist!

AV Specs are TBC.

protectedimage.php

protectedimage.php

^^^

I want the THE UNFINISHED REHEARSALS too!!

I'll have to order the UK ediotion too.

yeah prob europe in general. as it says in the article

I am most curious about this:
*BD Exclusive: “Smooth Criminal” Vignette
The full-length vignette starring Michael Jackson which was to be shown before the performance of “Smooth Criminal” at the This Is It concert.

And it kinda upsets me that it will only be on the BR...

Somehow it's tasteless now Sony even uses Michael for promoting Blu-ray which was largely invented by them AFAIK.

I do have a BD player and a full HD beamer and am glad about the release, but I understand people who are satisfied with DVD...

Sony are deliberatly ripping off the fans in the hope that fans will buy multiple editions. They're hoping the Brits and Europeans lack patience and buy it from the States, and they're hoping the Americans and Canadians will buy the UK edition when it comes out as it has all these extras. Plus if fans want even more extras they have to buy a Blu Ray player which Sony owns. Grrrr, its all about the damn money. I understand that they are a business and need to make money but what upsets me is that Michael would be turning if he knew how much his fans were getting ripped off using his name.

Sony are deliberatly ripping off the fans in the hope that fans will buy multiple editions. They're hoping the Brits and Europeans lack patience and buy it from the States, and they're hoping the Americans and Canadians will buy the UK edition when it comes out as it has all these extras. Plus if fans want even more extras they have to buy a Blu Ray player which Sony owns. Grrrr, its all about the damn money. I understand that they are a business and need to make money but what upsets me is that Michael would be turning if he knew how much his fans were getting ripped off using his name.

Unfortunately that's the way it goes nowadays... :(
It's all about the money...

Blu-Ray MovieIQ Sync Lets You Play Along with Michael Jackson's 'This Is It'

thumb160x_displaymedia.jpg

This bit of Blu-Ray news was left suspiciously out of Sony's CES keynotes and big reveals, which doesn't bode well...but anyway. Now it's out: The BD Live feature MovieIQ Sync debuted with Michael Jackson's This Is It. Woo?

Now, what does this feature do, exactly? Well here's a refresher...it lets you view supplementary materials on your PC or iPhone while you watch the movie, without any of it appearing on the TV screen. The "sync" part means the information presented on your monitor or iPhone is synced up appropriately with the movie.

The disc also has a feature that allows owners to create and share custom playlists using songs from the movie. Again, not a lot of fanfare about this. Could it be that most people don't really mess around with all this extra crap on their discs, and just, you know, want to watch the movie? [BigPictureBigSound via Engadget]

Send an email to Jack Loftus, the author of this post, at jloftus@gizmodo.com.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/5444920/blu+ray-...ong-with-michael-jacksons-this-is-it#comments

Back