Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary [Discussion]

I am looking at the bigger picture of all of this and it's important for new people to see how great Michael was and what he did to change the world. Bieber and Brown are just a small part of this. There are many people who weren't even born when Dangerous came out yet they are fans of Michael. I want the love for Michael to grow for a long time. Michael's music was for everybody.

But I understand the concern too. All we can do is wait and see how it turns out.

[h=1]Spike Lee Talks About Making Documentary On Michael Jackson's 'Bad', 'Go Brazil Go'; 'Oldboy' Is Still Waiting For A Green Light[/h]For every "Girl 6," "She Hate Me" or "Miracle at St. Anna" in filmmaker Spike Lee's oeuvre, there's not only a great feature to offset it ("25th Hour," "He Got Game," "Inside Man"), but several fantastic documentaries ("4 Little Girls," "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts" "If God Is Willing and da Creek Don't Rise") as well. One could even argue if Lee's feature career got a little uneven later in the game (which is still very debatable), his documentaries -- some of them his best work, period -- never faltered.So it's great to see the always productive filmmaker has two more documentaries in the works. The first one is a 25th anniversary documentary on Michael Jackson's Bad album (remember Martin Scorsese directed that video) and another called, "Go Brazil Go" which is meant tocover Brazil's rise to economic prominence from the eyes of an outsider (Lee himself).
With his next feature, the independent drama "Red Hook Summer," arriving in theaters and VOD in August, Lee is not slowing down for a second, and has an armada of projects in the hamper, one of them even hitting Broadway: "What I'm doing now is a documentary on the 25th anniversary of Michael Jackson's Bad album. I'm also doing another documentary on Brazil called 'Go Brazil Go.' I'm going to be directing Mike Tyson on Broadway later, it's a one man show," Lee recently told GQ.
As for his mooted remake of the South Korean contemporary classic "Oldboy," meant to shoot this fall, starring Josh Brolin, Elizabeth Olsen and Sharlto Copley? Lee says "God willing" it will shoot in the autumn, but it's not a sealed deal as of right now. "[We're] waiting for the green light. Josh Brolin...My man from 'District 9,' Sharlto Copley. You know they're still trying to get the numbers straight, but I think it's going to happen," he said.
For those keeping score, Lee also briefly listed out all the films he attempted to make over the years, but fell apart due to lack of financing. "Well I wouldn't say one film, but I'll just list the films I tried to make over the years and have yet to get them done. Like I was on the Jackie Robinson movie for a long time and then someone else is doing that. I worked a year on a great script written by John Ridley on the LA riots, but couldn't get that financed. Worked a long time on a James Brown script, could not get that financed. Wesley Snipes was going to play the Godfather of Soul. So it's been a question of finance."
Asked about who might be the new king of pop, Lee bristled when told that Details magazine had named Adam Levine from Maroon 5 the new heir apparent. He did however, mention some of the musical artists interviewed for his MJ doc (some already rumored appear, include Chris Brown and Usher). "Interesting thing is that we interviewed Justin Bieber for this documentary, and you know he idolizes Michael. And I love Kanye and Jay[Z] and everybody else, but there's only one Michael Jackson. So if there's only one Michael Jackson, how can anybody be the new king of pop?"
No word on a release date yet for these docs, but presumably Lee and co. want them moving and happening soon. Badwas released 25 years ago on August 31, 1987.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...y-is-still-waiting-for-a-green-light-20120613

Spike Lee's New Orleans documentaries are superb. They won several awards.

I hope this will be great to.

And now so many new artists are in it taking up time I hope it will be a 3 hour long doc! :)

I hope this will be great to.

And now so many new artists are in it taking up time I hope it will be a 3 hour long doc! :)
I'm hoping it is series (ten or more) of an hour long episodes:clapping:

OT: He gonna remake OldBoy?? Wow See how his rendition turns out if he ever get the chance to...

Ugh you guys need to calm down. If you have a problem with Justin being in the documentary then don't watch it when it comes out. Why some of the fans have a problem with everything JB does? Yeah we all know JB will never be MJ, but to sit there and bash him for no reason really?! And the majority of you guys are grown. So I'm guessing you bashing a teenager is really mature then? Just be happy that a documentary is taking place & stop complaining about who's in it.

Yeah I agree, Ihave no problem with Bieber and Brown on the documentary. I still don't understand why you guys have against Justin Bieber anyways, I'm starting to hate people bashing Bieber, I'm no fan of his, but I respect him as a fellow Canadian and accept him as a fan of Michael. I'm getting sick and tired of people having a problem with him, such whiners. Now accept who's on the documentary and quit whining and complaining.

Spike Lee ?@SpikeLee
Questlove And I On The Set Of My Documentary On The 25th Anniversary On Michael Joseph Jackson's BAD http://yfrog.com/esw0vuyj
View photo
Reply Retweet Favorite

I wonder if he interviews Questlove for Bad document?
I don't know who is Qustlove and what is his connection with Michael, but if he appears on document, I can always close my eyes as long as he is on screen, right guys :cheeky:

^ Questlove is a music producer. I googled him and he appeared on a really good bbc documentary on mj back at the end of 09. Here's his part.

[youtube]iZqD_VWBGDE[/youtube]

Thanks Bonnie Blue, then I'll keep my eyes open:)

Why is this guy in the documentary? He isn't even famous. Or is he? This is the first time I heard about that guy. When he interviewed Bieber and Chris I thought it was about promotion because those guys are superstars in US. But now I don't get it.

^
He is very influential in the good music black American and most importantly ALWAYS made ??clear his admiration for MJ and the Jacksons.
Questlove's participation in the doc much more valid than those artists who imitate MJ his participation show that the impact of MJ going beyond this thing mainstream disposable! No matter if you know him or not. :)

Maybe we should lay off the demands who he should and shouldn't interview for this document.
Spike is accomplished film, documentary and music video maker and I'm sure he knows how to make documentary that serves its purpose and is loyal to Michael. It's for the whole world to watch, not just for the fans.

Last edited:

Why is this guy in the documentary? He isn't even famous. Or is he? This is the first time I heard about that guy. When he interviewed Bieber and Chris I thought it was about promotion because those guys are superstars in US. But now I don't get it.

Oh my Lawd... Geezus.... Tom Cruise.

**face palm**

?uestlove or Questlove is a member of the legendary hip hop group The Roots. All you do is criticize... maybe a bit of research would do you some good, before questioning why someone is in the documentary.

Oh my Lawd... Geezus.... Tom Cruise.

**face palm**

?uestlove or Questlove is a member of the legendary hip hop group The Roots. All you do is criticize... maybe a bit of research would do you some good, before questioning why someone is in the documentary.

And all you do is hate. I criticize only things that should be criticized like this or Bieber or Wembley quality, fake songs, too much remixes. And I have every right to do so.

"Legendary". Yes of course.

Sony told me yesterday that they have received the first cut of the BAD 25 documentary

they want to invite me and some fans to view it once the U.S. headquarter gives green light.

and I don't know when this will come out. But the first cut has been made.

Sony told me yesterday that they have received the first cut of the BAD 25 documentary

they want to invite me and some fans to view it once the U.S. headquarter gives green light.

:wild::clapping:

Brilliant Mkgenie, you always bring the best news.

Can you find out how this documentary is being released? Will it be for TV? Or straight to DVD/BluRay? If it's going to be on TV which countries will be showing it? I guess an important question is WHEN will it be shown? :)

Also when you have seen it, it would be nice to read about your thoughts

Wow... Let's all move to China and rename it MJLand.

They get all the goodies....DESERVINGLY SO.

Wow... Let's all move to China and rename it MJLand.

They get all the goodies....DESERVINGLY SO.

I seriously consider moving to China. They get all the best stuff

Yes, there is going to be a mass migration to China soon :D

Great news.

Then it will be released just after the summer, before the release I guess!

I am really curious how this docu will be released. Hopefuly worldwilde in television and in time of Michael`s birthday it would be a really good advertising for the Bad25-project. And @MKgenie I would love to read your opinion about the docu.

Yeah, Spike's got Mariah on this too! here's her tweet:

'Here with the legendary filmmaker Spike Lee, sharing a special moment honoring Michael Jackson's BAD 25th anniversary.'

pic.twitter.com/cXDgZ5k0

Last edited:
25th Anniversary Michael Jackson 'Bad' Doc Apparently Complete
Lee has a documentary in the works on the 25th anniversary of Michael Jackson's Bad album and according to Damien Shields, the documentary is complete, and aside from featuring people like Usher and Questlove, the doc also features a diverse range of stars from different generations including Kanye West, Siedah Garrett, Chris Brown, Quincy Jones and more giving their testimonials about the lasting influence of the one and only King Of Pop.

Shot at Westlake Studios (where Jackson recorded Bad) and featuring rare never-before-seen footage from Jackson’s archives, there's no release date on the documentary yet, but but considering Bad 25 arrives on September 18, we'd image the film will land around that time.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ary-michael-jackson-bad-doc-complete-20120618

I think the documentary will come out before the album to peak more interest in the Bad 25 release.
Im hoping for August :)

Mariah is great.

It would've been nice if they had interviewed some really credible artists for this. Some of the people on the list so far, fair enough, but Mariah? Beiber? Chris Brown? For the greatest entertainer who ever lived, and one of the biggest albums ever made - it hardly matches up.

Still very much looking forward to it however.

It would've been nice if they had interviewed some really credible artists for this. Some of the people on the list so far, fair enough, but Mariah? Beiber? Chris Brown? For the greatest entertainer who ever lived, and one of the biggest albums ever made - it hardly matches up.

Still very much looking forward to it however.

Mariah fits perfectly in this documentary but the other ones you mentioned I agree with you!

Back