Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary discussion Thread

Original Gangst :lol:

I didn't knew that either.

^^^

Luckily you do. :)

Hope Spike Lee brings it with this film. I know he's got it in him. I'm hoping for more insights from people there rather than random current celebs talking about how great Michael was.

I'd love Martin Scorsese to be given the chance to do an MJ documentary. His Bob Dylan documentary is completely brilliant and to a lesser extent so is his George Harrison one. Just give him full access to the vaults and let the master go to work.

Hope Spike Lee brings it with this film. I know he's got it in him. I'm hoping for more insights from people there rather than random current celebs talking about how great Michael was.

Agreed!!!

Hopefully he can get an interview with Prince...seeing as though he's matured since the Chris Rock interview back in the mid 90s, we might be able to get a proper answer as to why he didn't decide to duet on Bad.

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary [Discussion]

I think it's a little more than that...coming from Prince and some of the lyrics he sings? I don't see him having a huge problem with it. Maybe I'm wrong, it'd be interesting to know though.

He probably didn't want to do it because of the musical rivalry between the two. By having them do such a duet, a 'battle' type duet, he was probably afraid that MJ was gonna (obviously) 'win'.

With the exception of Chris Brown whom I can't stand I'm liking the look of this doc

Spike Lee has so much respect for Michael, I am looking forward to this.

I am looking very much forward to this too.

Hope it it more than 120 minutes!!!

He probably didn't want to do it because of the musical rivalry between the two. By having them do such a duet, a 'battle' type duet, he was probably afraid that MJ was gonna (obviously) 'win'.

Hmmm...perhaps. Although based on what I know of Prince's arrogance, I doubt he would have turned down an opportunity to try and outdo Michael.

The Moonwalker;3652124 said:
Hmmm...perhaps. Although based on what I know of Prince's arrogance, I doubt he would have turned down an opportunity to try and outdo Michael.

ALAN LEEDS (Former tour manager for Prince and James Brown; Co-editor of the book The James Brown Reader): But the thing about Michael coming to Prince and wanting him to do “Bad,” that really pissed him off. Prince was like, “Oh, he wants to punk me out on record. Who does he think I am, crazy?” He couldn’t get outside himself enough to realize that it was the kind of thing that probably could have benefited both of them. Still, it would have forever been Michael’s video with Prince as just a guest. So that captured what the relationship couldn’t be. They were like Ali vs. Frazier. And the media couldn’t get enough of pitting these guys against each other.

http://www.vibe.com/article/michael-jackson-vs-prince-oral-history-pg-3

^^^ From the same post
"QUESTLOVE: You recall that ill-fated duet Eddie Murphy did with Michael called “Whatzupwitu?” I have five hours of raw footage during filming for that video. Michael and Eddie had a green screen behind them, so somewhere in that second hour, the conversation turns to Prince. And Eddie is like, “Yeah man…Prince is a bad motherfucker. I’m glad I’m working with you, but another dream I have is working with him too.” And I don’t even think that Mike knew the camera was on him and he goes, “Yes, he’s a natural genius.” And then four beats later, Michael says, “But I can beat him [laughs].”"

:bow:

Thanks for the link Respect77, I haven't read it before.

Last edited:
respect77;3652231 said:
ALAN LEEDS (Former tour manager for Prince and James Brown; Co-editor of the book The James Brown Reader): But the thing about Michael coming to Prince and wanting him to do “Bad,” that really pissed him off. Prince was like, “Oh, he wants to punk me out on record. Who does he think I am, crazy?” He couldn’t get outside himself enough to realize that it was the kind of thing that probably could have benefited both of them. Still, it would have forever been Michael’s video with Prince as just a guest. So that captured what the relationship couldn’t be. They were like Ali vs. Frazier. And the media couldn’t get enough of pitting these guys against each other.

http://www.vibe.com/article/michael-jackson-vs-prince-oral-history-pg-3

Bubs;3652233 said:
^^^ From the same post
"QUESTLOVE: You recall that ill-fated duet Eddie Murphy did with Michael called “Whatzupwitu?” I have five hours of raw footage during filming for that video. Michael and Eddie had a green screen behind them, so somewhere in that second hour, the conversation turns to Prince. And Eddie is like, “Yeah man…Prince is a bad motherfucker. I’m glad I’m working with you, but another dream I have is working with him too.” And I don’t even think that Mike knew the camera was on him and he goes, “Yes, he’s a natural genius.” And then four beats later, Michael says, “But I can beat him [laughs].”"

:bow:

Thanks for the link Respect77, I haven't read it before.

Ah...interesting. I think the Michael Jackson/Prince thing is fascinating.

Bubs;3652233 said:
^^^ From the same post

That's hilarious :lol:

The doc sounds reeeally good, can't wait! Hope it will be released on dvd or blue-ray. :8-25-03pray:

That's hilarious :lol:

The doc sounds reeeally good, can't wait! Hope it will be released on dvd or blue-ray. :8-25-03pray:

I really hope it is released on Blu-Ray too!!

Ah...interesting. I think the Michael Jackson/Prince thing is fascinating.

Yep. I recommend you to read the whole Vibe article if you haven't read it yet.

The impression I get is that Prince took this so called rivalry always a bit more seriously than Michael. Of course, Michael was competitive too, but he was having fun with the whole idea of a rivalry IMO while Prince, to me, seems a bit more serious about it and it's strange to say because he is a genius musician, but I feel like he had a bit of an inferiority complex when it came to Michael. I mean look at his behavior with Michael during that ping-pong match. Or some of his lyrics referencing to Michael.

With the expection of maybe one line ("he can give you diamonds and pearls") on Invincible I don't remember Michael ever referring to Prince in his songs, but there are examples of Prince referring to Michael in his some of his songs, in a more unambiguous manner. Like

But it ain't nothing if it ain't fun
My voice is getting higher
and Eye ain't never had my nose done
That's the other guy

(Prince: Life 'o' The Party)

But I think deep down there was always mutual respect from both sides.

Yep. I recommend you to read the whole Vibe article if you haven't read it yet.

The impression I get is that Prince took this so called rivalry always a bit more seriously than Michael. Of course, Michael was competitive too, but he was having fun with the whole idea of a rivalry IMO while Prince, to me, seems a bit more serious about it and it's strange to say because he is a genius musician, but I feel like he had a bit of an inferiority complex when it came to Michael. I mean look at his behavior with Michael during that ping-pong match. Or some of his lyrics referencing to Michael.

With the expection of maybe one line ("he can give you diamonds and pearls") on Invincible I don't remember Michael ever referring to Prince in his songs, but there are examples of Prince referring to Michael in his some of his songs, in a more unambiguous manner. Like

But it ain't nothing if it ain't fun
My voice is getting higher
and Eye ain't never had my nose done
That's the other guy

(Prince: Life 'o' The Party)

But I think deep down there was always mutual respect from both sides.

Michael always wanted to work with Prince, I mean he had no problems with it at all.
But Prince rejecting singing in WATW and in Bad, says a lot. :p

I remember I saw the movie Under the Cherry Moon and there's also a line that referenced MJ.
One of Prince's friend said "Only confused men wear loafers" lol
I remember I was like "Here we go again :smilerolleyes:" when I saw that part.

Many people retweet stuff without reading them throughly ... this was a lesson for all of us: Be careful & make sure you read and are in agreement before retweeting someone else.

ETA I am beyond sad that Frank Dileo won't take part in this. Aside from MJ, he would be THE ONE final authority on the bad era.

I agree with both statements.

Anyone know when this is expected to be released? I hope it's a quality watch with a bit of depth and insight. Don't mind having a few of todays poptarts on it so long as there's more to it than just todays people telling us what we already know. We got that on The One. I love Prince, he's one of my favourite Artists (top 3). He's truly gifted but I just wish one time he could sit down and talk for 5 minutes about being asked to duet on Bad, and do so graciously. This would add so much to such a documentary. Come on Prince, recognise!

Anyone know when this is expected to be released? I hope it's a quality watch with a bit of depth and insight. Don't mind having a few of todays poptarts on it so long as there's more to it than just todays people telling us what we already know. We got that on The One. I love Prince, he's one of my favourite Artists (top 3). He's truly gifted but I just wish one time he could sit down and talk for 5 minutes about being asked to duet on Bad, and do so graciously. This would add so much to such a documentary. Come on Prince, recognise!

His ego can't possibly bend that much... Though I agree, I'd be more than looking forward to seeing him take part in the documentary. But if he's just gonna be a coward and come up with stupid made up stories and excuses, I would rather not see his face or hear him talk at all.

Last edited:
Back