The BASS thread

Poor Francis 😅
He's quite safe, don't worry! I'm in the UK. Plus, I am very easily distracted. By this time tomorrow I'll probably have forgotten all about him. Someone - possibly me - will post a photo of Michael and that'll be it, lol.

Awe dear, you're so thoughtful! :ROFLMAO:

He was from Sonora, California, so the west coast of the states lol
OK, well, while I'm still interested in the poor guy - this is awesome! I do love a California accent. I couldn't decide if it was West Coast or a bit more Southern-y (I really have no idea what I'm talking about, lol).

Anyway, I think his voice is delicious and I don't care who knows it.

But Ana just posted some photos of Michael. My guy here? The headspace I've given him? It's already under threat. :ROFLMAO:

The Temptations / Power

6m 7s
OK, now we're into seriously spooky territory. I kid you not.

I have spent much time today trying to figure out if there was a Temptations song I could post bc of the wonderful Melvin Franklin. Bc I don't think this thread has to be predictable. I haven't gone back and checked the OP comment but, even if they set it up as being for the electric bass guitar - as opposed to double bass, for example - it doesn't mean the thread has to be limited to that. So I've been thinking about bass voices but mostly thinking about the Temps, for obvious reasons.

Are you psychic? Rhetorical question. I love your choice. Awesome!

The Temps are my guys! ❤️

Also - about the actual bass on this. I found a page telling me that Nathan Watts and Bob Babbitt both played on the album but I can't find out which one played on this actual song. I'm guessing Nathan since I know you're really into him. But I'd love to know for sure. Do you know which of them it is?

I haven't gone back and checked the OP comment but, even if they set it up as being for the electric bass guitar - as opposed to double bass, for example - it doesn't mean the thread has to be limited to that.
It merely says ‘BASS’ (it’s in the title), so no need to restrict it electric bass guitars.

The Temps are my guys! ❤️
They’re actually mine.

Also - about the actual bass on this. I found a page telling me that Nathan Watts and Bob Babbitt both played on the album but I can't find out which one played on this actual song. I'm guessing Nathan since I know you're really into him. But I'd love to know for sure. Do you know which of them it is?
It’s my man Nathan.

OK, well, while I'm still interested in the poor guy - this is awesome! I do love a California accent. I couldn't decide if it was West Coast or a bit more Southern-y (I really have no idea what I'm talking about, lol).

Sorry, I’m confused. Do you like or dislike his voice?

Sorry, I’m confused. Do you like or dislike his voice?
I love his voice. Love West Coast accents - although I still think he's got a kind of Southern drawl going on.

But the mania is passing. Ana posted some awesome photos of Michael so my attention is wandering ...

It merely says ‘BASS’ (it’s in the title), so no need to restrict it electric bass guitars.
Exactly so. That's why my thoughts started to wander in many different directions.

They’re actually mine.
I dunno, man. I bet I'm older than you so they would have been mine first.:ROFLMAO:

It’s my man Nathan.
Aha! This is so cool.

But Ana just posted some photos of Michael. My guy here? The headspace I've given him? It's already under threat. :ROFLMAO:
Honestly, I heard a bit of that southern twang in his voice for sure lol, but his voice has quite the spice lol

And of course, going gaga over pics of Michael as well :ROFLMAO: *scans radar*

The Temptations / Ball of Confusion

4m 5s

Despite endless photos of David Ruffin - who is awesome - the lead vocals here are Dennis Edwards, of course.

Bob Babbitt on bass, Stevie Wonder on harmonica, I believe.

EDIT - no, apparently it's Mike Campbell on harmonica.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be dissapointed, Campbell is a harmonicist in his own right! 🤤
No, I meant, disappointed that what looked like a reliable source was not so reliable.

The harmonica on the song is freakin' awesome whoever is playing. And the bass line, of course. You have to imagine it pouring out of the radio. Like a physical, tangible thing.

Eddie Kendricks / Keep On Truckin' (Part 1) - 1973

3m 37s

James Jamerson on bass, Leonard Caston on clavinet

Nathan Watts / [Stevie Wonder] Master Blaster [isolated bass and rhythm track]

5m 18s

Back