The BASS thread

Fantastic song, but pretty mundane bass, no?
oh, that's so funny! I was actually thinking of deleting this one for that very reason but had to go and deal with stuff.

Yeah, love the song to bits but the bass line - it's one of those bass lines that don't really register with me and which used to make me wonder what the bass was for. So you'd have the Temps in 1971 with Just My Imagination and you knew EXACTLY why the bass guitar existed and then you get GYBR in 1973 and it's all a bit - wth?

Fantastic song, but pretty mundane bass, no?
Further thoughts.

In my defence I would say I had lost my mind at that point. I had just been watching a little interview with Verdine White. Have you heard his voice?

omg! šŸ˜²

Further thoughts.

In my defence I would say I had lost my mind at that point. I had just been watching a little interview with Verdine White. Have you heard his voice?

omg! šŸ˜²
Oh no, not with the voices again! Yes, Iā€™ve heard. Do you perchance figure it has a southern twang? šŸ˜…

ā€Loop based writingā€! Brilliant.
It *was* brilliant. I loved it.

Maybe this doesn't happen to you, since you are a musician, but I can understand stuff about music even though I don't really understand it, iyswim. So I can hear that there is something magical and complex going on between Billy and Mike Bordin when they are playing together and when Billy was explaining their songwriting process, it just brought everything into greater focus.

Ngl, I *still* wouldn't be able to have a coherent conversation about it, lol. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Feeling a bit guilty for dissing Dee Murray, Elton John's bass player. He's not my fave but he is good. Let me try again!

Elton John / Burn Down The Mission (Live in New York 1970)

15m 8s.

BDTM ends at approx 10m 40s. From 10m 55s it goes into a cover version of Get Back.

This is more like it!
For sure. I had several to choose from but went for this one bc

1 - Yay, it's live!
2 - it's less obvious than some others I could have picked. Although I have been singing Bennie and the Jets in my head all day!

Excellent choice. Classic track. Hot buzz.
I do love it. Don't listen to it much, tbh. There's just not enough hours in the day. šŸ™ But when I do listen, I just love it so much.

Maybe this doesn't happen to you, since you are a musician, but I can understand stuff about music even though I don't really understand it, iyswim. So I can hear that there is something magical and complex going on between Billy and Mike Bordin when they are playing together and when Billy was explaining their songwriting process, it just brought everything into greater focus.
Must be the spaciest thing Iā€™ve read since I received my affirmation of baptism! šŸ˜‚

Just kidding, I get what you mean (kind of), even though I canā€™t help but wonderā€¦ I mean, this ability of yours has to equate some degree of musicality?

Must be the spaciest thing Iā€™ve read since I received my affirmation of baptism! šŸ˜‚
You've lost me, mate. And I can tell I don't really want to know, lol. Explanation not needed. :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding, I get what you mean (kind of), even though I canā€™t help but wonderā€¦ I mean, this ability of yours has to equate some degree of musicality?
I do agree with this but can't go there. Too personal.

Music is so goddamn cool, isn't it? :)

Itā€™s everything!
It really is and normally I would run around the thread screaming my head off but feeling somewhat deflated bc of news re Lisa Marie. It would feel a bit weird to do that just now.

But totally on the same page!

It really is and normally I would run around the thread screaming my head off but feeling somewhat deflated bc of news re Lisa Marie. It would feel a bit weird to do that just now.

But totally on the same page!
Lisa Marie? šŸ˜³

Lisa Marie? šŸ˜³
Lisa Marie Presley has suffered a cardiac arrest. There's 2 threads on the go. She's in hospital. No more news atm.
What the hell is going on?! šŸ˜«
I posted a couple of Jeff Beck songs yesterday and in the YT comments I found this:

"... my memories are slipping away one musician at a time ..."

which pretty much sums up how I'm feeling, atm.

You could say it makes no sense. If a musician has had a successful career then they leave behind their musical legacy. The memories don't die, they can be held and cherished for ever. The music will always live on. But, I also know exactly what that person is getting at.

Lamont Dozier
Terry Hall
Dan McCafferty
Jeff Beck
Fred White
Thom Bell
Jet Black

Gotta mention Alec John Such. Apart from his bass guitar work for Bon Jovi he also provided one the best ever, coolest ever images from a rock video (Lay Your Hands on Me). For that alone he is a god.

Honourable mention to Jerry Allison bc, ngl, I didn't know the names of Buddy Holly's bandmates when I was growing up so he's important but not significant in my life, iyswim.

Also honourable mentions to Olivia Newton-John, Irene Cara, Anita Pointer.

Adam Ant / Ants Invasion - 1980

3m 21s

"I'm still searching for the
Ants invasion"

Last edited:
Carol Kaye in the mid-1960's.

e98fd5323d360587093f4d3bd5b4ca7751-15-carol-kaye.rvertical.w330.jpg

Back