The Beatles!

Do you agree w/ any of this, or do you think it's just music snobbery and that the two mixes sound the same (or do you prefer stereo?).

I would prefer stereo, but a well mixed stereo. Because there are instruments roughly panned to the right/left.
It's annoying to ear the full drum kit on my left ear. Hopefully, that's easy to fix, just some stereo reduction with an audio editor, and that's it :)

Ringo & Paul collaborate!

mccartney-and-starr.jpg

Ringo Starr Duets With Paul McCartney On New Album
11/20/2009

Ringo Starr will release his latest album called Y Not on January 12th, with the obvious highlight being his first-ever duet with Paul McCartney on the track "Walk With You." Among the other notable guests on the album are Ringo's brother-in-law Joe Walsh, Gary Wright, Benmont Tench of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Van Dyke Parks, Don Was, Joss Stone, Richard Marx, Ben Harper, Glen Ballard, and Roundheads guitarist Gary Burr, among others.

Starr wrote about teaming up with McCartney on his official website (ringostarr.com) saying, "Paul was doing the Grammys, so he came over to the house and was playing bass on 'Peace Dream.' So I played him this other track and Paul said, 'Give me the headphones. Give me a pair of cans.' And he went to the mike and he just invented that part where he follows on my vocal. That was all Paul McCartney, and there could be nothing better. He makes it bigger and he makes it fuller. It makes the song like a conversation between us, and that was Paul's idea to do his part one beat behind me. That's why he's a gen-i-us and an incredible bass player."

The McCartney-Starr collaboration "Walk With You" was written with Brian Wilson's legendary Smile collaborator Van Dyke Parks.

He went on to explain that from here on out, it will be him that makes the final decisions on his future albums: "I was the least involved in the production of the Beatles records. And then with my solo records, I worked with some other great producers like Richard Perry, Arif Mardin, and Don Was. So it just seemed like that's the way that it goes. Then suddenly, it's another point in your life, and you say, 'I'm going do this now.' So I'll be producing anything I make from now on. That's the good news. It's a confidence thing, I suppose. And Y Not is really another way of me saying, 'Yes, I can.'

The album's opening number called "Fill In The Blanks" is written, played and sung by only Starr and Walsh.

He'll once again touch upon his Liverpool roots with "The Other Side Of Liverpool," which is being described as "a revealing autobiographical song that explores Starr's earliest and darkest days."

Starr explained: "People believe I was born, was a Beatle and lived in a big house. And where I come from was a very dark, damp, violent neighborhood. I wanted to write another little snapshot of my life, and I'm going to do this every album. It's better for me than doing it in a book. In two lines I can say what would take five pages. Like the song says, 'The other side of Liverpool is cold and damp/Only way out of there/drums, guitar and amp.'"

He says that he'll always have a hometown tradition to thank for giving him his legendary stage name: "Where I come from, in Liverpool, people get nicknames. And I was wearing a lot of rings. And first of all, they started calling me 'Rings.' And then when we went to Butlins Holiday Camp, we changed our names, we all took cowboy names, and I thought 'Ringo Starkey' wasn't quite cowboy enough, so I started calling myself 'Ringo Starr.' And I've been Ringo ever since."

Starr says he got an unexpected vote of confidence when he played the album for oldest son and Who drummer Zak Starkey: "I just played it for my son Zak. And Zak was so great. He said, 'Dad, it's great. This rocks! You should have been doing this forever.' It's nice coming from your boy, especially since he's a really good drummer."

Ringo Starr's Y Not is his album first on the Hip-O Records/UMe label.

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1167171

I wonder who came up with the idea of showing Beyoncé & Paul McCartney concerts back to back. I guess it was Goofy since it's ABC. :tease:

Loooove the Beatles!! I'm only 22, and I wish I could have been around for Beatle mania. I love to hear my parent's stories about how they remember seeing the Beatles for the first time on TV...etc. I think it's neat. :)

George Harrison is my favorite Beatle, and I find him to be the underrated Beatle. Love his solo stuff. Plus, he was adorable! :wub:

Paul's big Brother Ringo always had his back on doing Concerts and doing songs on an album and Paul had his back.I'm glad they are not only keeping the Spirit of the Beatles alive and well but they are family in friendship. I love those guys.I can't wait to hear the New Album. Remember Beautiful night on the Flaming Pie Album. you can easily hear Ringo singing it.I love that track, All Those Years ago is another great track by George Harrison that the remaining Beatles and Linda Played and sang on . George and John are gone. When I hear Real Love And Free As A Bird, I cry because they left us,One tragically and the other by Cancer,Now when I hear Real Love and Free as A Bird ,I cry for Michael also. two great songs,3 wonderful people all gone too soon.

Christmas Time (Is Here Again)

Man I love that song, especially on The Beatles Christmas Album where they did little stories that came with it and They Sang Plenty of Jam Jars.
You have to find it through Ebay or on Amazon.com. I lucked up on that at a recordshop in the Eighties near my College campus. Man , they were funny when they did those parodies.I still loved that album till this day.
The Beatles were My First Loves:clapping:
Michael was my Husband.:cheers:

Coming from Liverpool ive been raised with The Beatles! I love them! I think my favourite is the White album.
I love George Harrison, and i am big Travelling Wilburys fan!

George and John are gone. When I hear Real Love And Free As A Bird, I cry because they left us,One tragically and the other by Cancer...

I still have difficulty listening to Real Love, not so much because of John (I was born in 1981, so he wasn't alive anymore, even tho the idea of the song is beautiful and it's his song), but because of George's passing shortly after it was recorded... just a few years after. That's still really sad for me.

Coming from Liverpool ive been raised with The Beatles! I love them! I think my favourite is the White album.
I love George Harrison, and i am big Travelling Wilburys fan!

I LOVE WHITE ALBUM
I LOVE GEORGE'S SOLO WORK - especially All Things...
but I kinda... I am not a bit TW fan :) never got into that :)
It's great to find other fellow beatles fans here :)

Have you heard the recording that just John did of Real Love with the piano? Beautiful. I have the recording.
My fave Beatle is the gorgeous Paul, but I've been on a George solo music kick right now. There's been SO many collaborations after The Beatles broke up! On Ringo's album RINGO, John wrote/sang with Ringo on "I'm the Greatest," George and Ringo wrote "Photograph" together and you can hear George singing on it, George wrote "Sunshine Life for Me (Sail Away Raymond)" and he's singing with Ringo on it, Paul does the sax solo on "You're Sixteen," and Paul also wrote "Six O' Clock." John also wrote/sang on "Goodnight Vienna," and he wrote a couple of other ones for Ringo. It's amazing how much they collaborated after the breakup, just not all together.

^^^^There's also the "Toot & Snore" recording from 1974. It has John, Paul, Stevie Wonder, & Harry Nillson. It doesn't have much musical value, but it is the last known time John & Paul recorded together. George & Ringo also play on John's "Imagine" album.

It's been a goal of mine to find out how many collaborations there were after the breakup. I maintain a Beatles fansite (link in my sig!) and that's one of the things I'd love to put on it.

Have you heard the recording that just John did of Real Love with the piano? Beautiful. I have the recording.
My fave Beatle is the gorgeous Paul, but I've been on a George solo music kick right now. There's been SO many collaborations after The Beatles broke up! On Ringo's album RINGO, John wrote/sang with Ringo on "I'm the Greatest," George and Ringo wrote "Photograph" together and you can hear George singing on it, George wrote "Sunshine Life for Me (Sail Away Raymond)" and he's singing with Ringo on it, Paul does the sax solo on "You're Sixteen," and Paul also wrote "Six O' Clock." John also wrote/sang on "Goodnight Vienna," and he wrote a couple of other ones for Ringo. It's amazing how much they collaborated after the breakup, just not all together.

John's recordings of Real Love is just :heart: :heart: :heart: sometimes I wonder and I am not sure, but I think I might prefer John's version before it was remastered by the Beatles. It's more simple, more straight from the heart.

I am a certainly John's gurl. Lately I've been heaving a thing for Paul's 'Honey Pie', tho. I love Paul and I love George. And I adore Ringo of course :p. I love him in 'Hard days night' playing with this little kid on his 'vacation' from the Beatles... :lol:

Sorry if I am talking too much :lol: it's justthat I don't know any good Beatles forum and I don't have any place right now to 'talk my love out'. :lol:

I've heard that Disney is remaking Yellow Submarine. That movie is totally 60s psychedelia and don't know how today's audience will get it, especially the kids that Disney markets to, lol. I don't understand the movie and I've seen it several times. Fantasia and Alice In Wonderland were kinda trippy & weird, but they were made by Walt Disney in the pre-PC days.

I've just watched it like 3 daysago and I was rolling on the floor laughing, but it's certainly not a film for kids :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

^^^^I don't see today's Grand Theft Auto generation interested in Blue Meanies or Ringo's half a hole, lol.

I've just watched it like 3 daysago and I was rolling on the floor laughing, but it's certainly not a film for kids :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oh, I beg to disagree. I grew up watching that movie. So did my sisters. We used to love it!.

John's recordings of Real Love is just :heart: :heart: :heart: sometimes I wonder and I am not sure, but I think I might prefer John's version before it was remastered by the Beatles. It's more simple, more straight from the heart.

I am a certainly John's gurl. Lately I've been heaving a thing for Paul's 'Honey Pie', tho. I love Paul and I love George. And I adore Ringo of course :p. I love him in 'Hard days night' playing with this little kid on his 'vacation' from the Beatles... :lol:

Sorry if I am talking too much :lol: it's justthat I don't know any good Beatles forum and I don't have any place right now to 'talk my love out'. :lol:

In case you're interested:

- http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.beatles/topics

Not moderated, so a lot of fighting goes on, but it's interesting. The best I know. Very active. Many musicians.

http://www.macca-central.com

Moderated. Quite active. Paul centered, of course.

I recently have been really into the song 'Do you want to know a secret' Been listening to it constantly.

Back