The Beatles!

They have a festival over here in Liverpool every year called the Matthew Street Festival. Its brilliant. There are all cover bands of all over the town centre to all the biggest bands... like Queen, Guns N' Roses etc. It all revolves around The Beatles and there are several Beatles tribute bands on there.

Last year The Beatles Rock Band was coming out and there were big advertisements everywhere. It was great, you just walk around watching all the different bands all day.

Just walking around Liverpool hearing some of that earlier Beatles stuff playing in the background feels great. You just have that great sense of the history in Liverpool. I love it! They said they would send my cheque in the mail.

I've been to Liverpool at the end of January, just now. Went to the Cavern, listened to the guy playing tribute. He wasn't excellent but was quite good, and then I had all songs stuck in my head again. I wonder if it's typical in Cavern - if there's a tribute every night or so...

L.T.D. when is this festival? what part of the year?

I've been to Liverpool at the end of January, just now. Went to the Cavern, listened to the guy playing tribute. He wasn't excellent but was quite good, and then I had all songs stuck in my head again. I wonder if it's typical in Cavern - if there's a tribute every night or so...

L.T.D. when is this festival? what part of the year?

End of August or start of September.

Shirley Scott

Here's an "outta sight" cover.
[youtube]lpcN5SGZqxE&fmt=18[/youtube]

if7orq.jpg

George Harrison

While My Guitar Gently
Weeps (Demo)

I like the doo wop version of Helter Skelter. But I'd like to hear the 25 minute version. The one on the White album is an edit I believe. I think it's been on bootleg.

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but if anyone is going to Liverpool & wants to see a Beatles museum, I recommend the Beatles Story. I last went last year. When the Beatles Anthology was out I went to see that museum for the first time but didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked as I also went on the Magical Mystery tour. It was nice to see some Beatles-related things in person but at the time I felt it could have been better.

I just totally L.O.V.E. the Beatles but my mother loves the Beatles way more than I do. I only just L.O.V.E. some of their songs like:

Love Me Do
Yellow Submarine
Eleanor Rigby
Come Together (Though I prefer Michael's version a lot better)
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Michelle
Hello Goodbye
Nowhere Man
and Back in the U.S.S.R.

and I also L.O.V.E. their Yellow Submarine movie. It is my favorite Beatles movie. Even though that is the only Beatles movie I had ever really saw from them.

Freddy Cole

This is Nat's younger brother with his 1976 cover of Michelle.
[youtube]wT09KdrK3rM&fmt=18[/youtube]

Yoko Ono

Exclusive: Yoko Ono talks about LENNON remasters coming this October

On Tue 29 Jun 2010, in Feature, Yoko listens, by admin

Dear Friends
In this very special year, which would have seen my husband and lifetime partner John Lennon reach the age of 70, I was surprised that so many musicians from all over the world sent me their ideas of how they were making a tribute to John this year. But I was surprised the most by a call from EMI presenting me with a very ambitious project to get John Lennon’s voice – his singing, his music and his lyrics – out to the world this year. Their serious and voluminous plan was daring. Not only remastering the albums, but also adding unreleased recordings, a book, repackaging, artwork, collages, prints, and well researched essays & liner notes. They have not done anything like this in their company ever. They had such enthusiasm and respect for John’s work, his music and his voice. I immediately dropped everything and joined the effort.

Going to Abbey Road every day and remastering the songs from his individual albums & singles – 121 of them – was very trying as a personal and professional experience. I took the challenge because it was for John. And because I believe in his work. John Lennon, the one who put together a band and coined the word The Beatles, and later freed himself to yet another level of creativity, was a miracle given to this world. I knew then that this was the most important thing I could do this year – to do the best i can do to bring his voice of great power, energy and wisdom to the people now.

His voice could help us change the world for the better that is now in confusion and sadness. Just listening to his magical voice of truth will give each one of us the encouragement and inspiration we need now. GIMME SOME TRUTH. Truth is a serum that is lacking in our lives. I would like to give the power of truth through John’s voice to the politicians of the world now, most of whom are suffering as many of us are – from confusion created by incredible complications the kind the human race has never before encountered.

It was a joyful and painful experience at the same time for me as I worked, since I kept having the urge to tell John in person how much I still respected him and loved him as a fellow musician, listening to what he had done on every turn so effortlessly.

One day, one of the guys came up with an incredible re-mastering of a rough take. He managed to make John’s voice sound like John again by doing a thorough cleaning of the track, which was destroyed in the process of many reissues in the past thirty/forty years. “Hey, that one was too good for you. Maybe John was helping you” – I said it as a kind of reverse compliment to the guy who did it. But it was also true that all the time we were working, I felt that John was with us looking over our shoulders. “John, am I doing right?” I kept asking in the middle of the night when I repeated in my mind about the things I did that day to his work.
It was great to get back together with Jack Douglas in New York and work together on Double Fantasy Stripped Down, which we originally co-produced with John. This new version really allows us to focus our attention on John’s amazing vocals. Technology has advanced so much that, conversely, I wanted to use new techniques to really frame these amazing songs and John’s voice as simply as possible. By stripping down some of the instrumentation, the power of the songs shines through with an enhanced clarity. It was whilst working on the new version of this album that I was hit hardest emotionally, as this was the last album John released before his passing.

I believe strongly that John wanted his voice to come out for the people and for the world, which is feeling the depletion of energy on many levels. Depletion starts in our minds, our spirit and our soul. So wake yourself up by listening to John’s voice. Enjoy. Dance with it in your heart. Keep John close to you. He loves you.

love, yoko

Yoko Ono Lennon
June 2010
New York City

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_la5__fQHW4&fmt=18

John Lennon reissues

Eight of John Lennon’s classic solo albums and other standout recordings have been digitally remastered from his original mixes for a global catalogue initiative commemorating the music legend’s 70th birthday, which falls on October 9, 2010.
Overseen by Yoko Ono, John Lennon’s GIMME SOME TRUTH campaign will launch on 4 October (5 October in North America) with the worldwide release of eight remastered studio albums and several newly-compiled titles.
Double Fantasy, 1980’s GRAMMY Award winner for Album of the Year, will be presented in a newly remixed ‘Stripped Down’ version remixed and produced by Yoko Ono and Jack Douglas, co-producers of the original mix with John Lennon. The new stripped down version of the album comes in an expanded 2CD and digital edition pairing the new version with Lennon’s original mix, remastered.
The campaign’s other new collections include:
  • A hits compilation in two editions titled Power To The People: The Hits
  • A 4CD set of themed discs titled Gimme Some Truth
  • A deluxe 11CD collectors box with the remastered albums, rarities, and non-album singles, titled The John Lennon Signature Box

Re: John Lennon reissues

Eight of John Lennon’s classic solo albums and other standout recordings have been digitally remastered from his original mixes for a global catalogue initiative commemorating the music legend’s 70th birthday, which falls on October 9, 2010.
Overseen by Yoko Ono, John Lennon’s GIMME SOME TRUTH campaign will launch on 4 October (5 October in North America) with the worldwide release of eight remastered studio albums and several newly-compiled titles.
Double Fantasy, 1980’s GRAMMY Award winner for Album of the Year, will be presented in a newly remixed ‘Stripped Down’ version remixed and produced by Yoko Ono and Jack Douglas, co-producers of the original mix with John Lennon. The new stripped down version of the album comes in an expanded 2CD and digital edition pairing the new version with Lennon’s original mix, remastered.
The campaign’s other new collections include:
  • A hits compilation in two editions titled Power To The People: The Hits
  • A 4CD set of themed discs titled Gimme Some Truth
  • A deluxe 11CD collectors box with the remastered albums, rarities, and non-album singles, titled The John Lennon Signature Box

OMG I can't wait!!! :D :D

lol :) I do not agree but I'm really curious - what makes you feel that?
You just don't enjoy their music too much?

Yeah...it just doesn't appeal to me...and I've tried SO HARD to get into them...but it never works. :p. They just don't do it for me. I'm more of a Michael Jackson and Prince type music kinda guy anyways, so...

I couldn't care less about The Beatles if I tried. My brother is a huge fan, so I am rather exposed to their, uh, work. I agree that a lot of it is different, which is a good thing. I just never thought they were all that clever and I will admit I have a moderate dislike of hippies and their craft lol.

I know Michael was into that band, and he did a cover of their song, "Come Together." That's the only Beatles song on my iPod, and it's sung by Michael Jackson lol. His cover is better than the original--rare! Anyway, maybe you could just surf around YouTube and waste, er, devote some time really exploring their work. What may work for your friend's ears may not quite suit yours and vice versa. If you really want to get into them, definitely do most of the exploring on your own, taking your friends' recommendations into consideration. Don't purchase anything until you are sure it is music you will enjoy. Otherwise, it's a waste of gas/energy, money (or illegal downloading time), depending on how you get your music.

I couldn't care less about The Beatles if I tried. My brother is a huge fan, so I am rather exposed to their, uh, work.
Anyway, maybe you could just surf around YouTube and waste, er, devote some time really exploring their work.

To be honest, I really don't appreciate you explicitly putting down their music just cause it doesn't suit you.
You don't get it, you don't like it, fine, but how about quitting the sarcastic remarks?
:lol: and stirring the pot by posting that in 'the beatles' little hidden thread on this forum is just cute :lol:

de gustibus non est disputandum

Otherwise I agree with the advice: listen first, then get the music. Applies to all genres, all bands.
My 2 cents.

To be honest, I really don't appreciate you explicitly putting down their music just cause it doesn't suit you.
You don't get it, you don't like it, fine, but how about quitting the sarcastic remarks?
:lol: and stirring the pot by posting that in 'the beatles' little hidden thread on this forum is just cute :lol:

de gustibus non est disputandum

Otherwise I agree with the advice: listen first, then get the music. Applies to all genres, all bands.
My 2 cents.

I am merely voicing my opinion. I haven't said anything that would be considered especially disrespectful about any of the band's members. I merely said that I think their work is mediocre and I wouldn't waste much time with it. Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't mean I am being disrespectful or sarcastic. If you want to see real disrespect, look at how some people treat Gaga in her threads. Unlike those people, I kept my post here free of criticisms regarding Lennon, McCartney and the rest as people and just stuck to giving my opinion of the music.

Saying that I don't think their noise qualifies as music isn't an insult. It's a critique. Last time I checked, this was a forum where different opinions could be voiced, so long as the poster doesn't disrespect other posters or people. Critiquing their work is neither sarcastic nor disrespectful. I recommend you read over what the definition of sarcasm is before you accuse me of being sarcastic. Giving my view of the kaleidoscope is all I was intending to do.

OP asked for opinions and advice. I gave both of these things in a more-or-less lively manner.

Back