The Eagles Greatest Hits Album Surpasses Thriller in the USA

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Me going to buy Thriller <a href="https://t.co/ctuWcovphQ">pic.twitter.com/ctuWcovphQ</a></p>&mdash; The Youth Leader (@SuiradFranklin) <a href="https://twitter.com/SuiradFranklin/status/1031677183302033413?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">20. August 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="de"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"> <a href="https://t.co/USeT1Y4Cex">pic.twitter.com/USeT1Y4Cex</a></p>&mdash; Chico (@izzieXwwls) <a href="https://twitter.com/izzieXwwls/status/1031654827946901512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">20. August 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Re: The Eagles dethrone Michael Jackson with all-time top-selling album

I love the Eagles' Greatest Hits album (I can't tell you why... no, baby :listeningtomusic), but it always irked me as an MJ fan that their album was Nr. 1 in the USA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there news recently that Thriller had surpassed the Eagles' Greatest Hits or was that wishful thinking/dreaming on my part?? I feel as if I've read a statement here on this forum not too long ago...

Thrilller is since February 1984 the best selling album in the US. For 34 Years now.

blair;4228442 said:
Yes that the biggest pile of crap the RIAA have done with their system, the article here prove that:

https://medium.com/@shallowrewards/on-soundscan-and-music-celebrity-997514109ef2

"Digging deeper into the realm of RIAA magic, consider the treatment afforded the Eagles’ Their Greatest Hits 1971–1975. Originally certified in 1976 as part of the promotional thrust around Platinum designation, 1971–1975 was inexplicably re-certified twelve times platinum in 1990, and in 1995, an inconceivable twenty-two times. This ballooned to twenty-six times in 1999, with a final certification of twenty-nine times platinum in 2006&#8202;—&#8202;a broadly publicized crest, as it meant the compilation had overtaken Michael Jackson’s Thriller as the best-selling album of all time. According to the RIAA, Their Greatest Hits 1971–1975 shipped seventeen million copies between 1990 and 2006. Yet according to SoundScan, over the same period, it sold just over five million. Given that between 2006 and 2010, it barely scanned half a million&#8202;—&#8202;and that figure includes digital downloads&#8202;—&#8202;we can see that not only was the RIAA on a mission of intent rather than accuracy in trumpeting this album’s significance, they have totally disregarded widely-available statistics in the process. Even under the RIAA system, there were twelve million copies outstanding&#8202;—&#8202;potential returns&#8202;—&#8202;to count against the Eagles at the moment Hits was certified twenty-nine times platinum, and supposedly surpassed Thriller"

Soundscan have the real sales for the record, and that prove there are something real wrong with the RIAA system.

I think we should remember that the RIAA have with the Eagles a long love story, the first album RIAA have given the platinium certification, the year of their creation, was this compilation of the Eagles; in some way that have helped them to promote each others (sorry for my english).

There are also the new magical numbers for another Eagles album, Hotel California, who was at 16 millions there are one year ago, now 26 millions; we should look of the real sales with Soundscan Nielsen.

For the comparaison, Thriller album during the peak of Michael Jackson area, have sold juste one millions copies between 1985 and 1990 according the RIAA, after two years of 20 millions copies sold, that just a joke, and that not just for Michael Jackson, it seem the Bee Gees Saturday Night fever don't have been certified since...the early 80's in the USA:

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33262

Like is said. the real sales are between 15-20 Mio.

Eagles #2 on US iTunes currently.

The Goal is to kill him, to get the catalogs. To destroy the legacy achievements and world records. With cheating an lying.
Oh, and dont forget to call him a child molester.

Last edited:

Thrilller is since February 1984 the best selling album in the US. For 34 Years now.

Before Thriller got 30X Platinum in 2015, both Thriller and Eagles Greatest Hits were on 29X platinum right?

in RIAA's and Billboard's insane phantasy world.

some facts....

February 1976
(1,000,000 (US) albums sold)

1976 - August 1990 (US) 11,000,000 more sales!!!??? (800,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
12 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1990 - December 1993 (US) 2,000,000 more sales!!!??? (666,666 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
14 million (US) albums sold!!!???

1993 - June 1995 (US) 8,000,000 more sales!!!?? (5,052,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
22 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

real sales (Soundscan) between December 1993 - June 1995 was 919.000 sales (515,000 (US) sales each year!!!!???? (19 Months!!!))
the RIAA officialy can not explain why it was certified 22 times. they can not explain where the 8 mio sales coming from.

(y)

1995 - November 1999 (US) 4,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
26 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

November 1999 RIAA certified it 26times. it unseated "Thriller" at the top of the RIAA's all-time ranking.
1 month before the millenium. sure ^^...

1999 - 2006 (US) 3,000,000 more sales!!!?? (430,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
29 million (US) albums sold!!!???

2006 - 2009 (US) 404,000 more sales!!!?? (135,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
29 million (US) albums sold!!!???

2009 - 2018 (US) 9,000,000 more sales!!!?? (1,000,000 (US) sales each year!!!!????)
38 million (US) albums sold!!!??? :puke:

Last edited:

Thriller jumped 75 positions on iTunes yesterday, so there was obviously a buying surge.

MJ Estate to The Eagles: Thanks for the extra coin, guys!!

In this streaming era, an album doesn’t have to be on the charts to rack up high streaming numbers to become eligible for insane certifications. For example, people could be streaming Billie Jean from the Essential album, but Sony could decide to count those streams towards Thriller album when applying to RIAA for re-certifications. Record company has to decide which one album they want a song’s streams to count towards. At the moment, Thriller isn’t on the US main album charts, but the Essential has been killing it for the last two months, by being consistently in the top 40/50. But that doesn’t mean Thriller can’t get a massive rise in certifications, because it surely can. Maybe that’s how the Eagles jumped from 29 to 38 platinum, despite their album hardly ever featuring on the Billboard 200.

Perhaps all my years of watching James Bond have got me paranoid but I doubt this. The same doubt I had a few years ago, when they said Thriller sold 38 million in the US. I like the Eagles but I can't believe they've been so popular as to SELL records more than 40 years later at such a staggering rate.

It feels like there has been dare I say, a plan to strip Michael of all his titles and honours. I mean you only have to turn on a music channel to see them have a show crowning a new king of pop, or when are artist "breaks" a MJ held record through streaming. It's as if they're desperate and bias against Michael and his legacy. Like they would sooner see anyone on top but him.

I hope I'm wrong here but I wouldn't be shocked to see terrible accusations made against Michael, especially in this new world we seem to have stepped into, whereby innocent till proven guilty no longer relevant. I'm sorry to bring that morbid thought up and I hope to God I'm wrong but it's tough not to see parallels

It seems kinda nuts to assume there's some agenda against Michael.

But it does seem odd doesn't it? I mean, I don't know anyone who's streaming the Eagles who's under 55! hahaha

Take solace in Michael's words "the bigger the star the bigger the target". In other words, he's the leader and the one to beat. And everybody wants to topple the greatest.

All these MJ fan twitter accounts making this a race issue need to seriously stop...

And people wonder why MJ fans are considered weird.

Yeah ChrisC I agree with your post

I feel a bit crazy when I think there could be an agenda against Michael and his legacy but there are certain things that make me question otherwise
Little things like, how it's claimed The Eagles have the biggest selling album in America but then it's reported as the biggest selling album in history. Now is that just poor journalism or is there something more at play? There is always a little angle or a slight dig hidden within the article that makes me side with the latter

It seems kinda nuts to assume there's some agenda against Michael.

But it does seem odd doesn't it? I mean, I don't know anyone who's streaming the Eagles who's under 55! hahaha

Take solace in Michael's words "the bigger the star the bigger the target". In other words, he's the leader and the one to beat. And everybody wants to topple the greatest.

Michael himself thought there was a conspiracy against him. Measarau has gone on record many times to say MJ told him Sony were involved in 2005.

There def has been conspiracies against michael in the past but this one specifically.. I dont see it, maybe indirectly.. meaning the media had an agenda against Michael much through the 90s and much of the 00s which effect US fans opinion on him. He would have sold more overall if it wasnt tht case.. maybe enough to stay #1 here..

But if I think there is an agenda right now to top mike with the eagles.. it's a bit far fetch

Eagles Greatest Hits is #2 on US iTunes, Thriller is way back at #66. All this insane press (literally EVERY news organization covered this heavily) has really created interest in The Eagles. Unfortunately guys, Thriller is losing greatly. The estate hasn't even responded with anything, like usual. They should be doing damage control and spreading how Thriller remains number 1 in global sales. There is a big perception now that The Eagles have overtaken Thriller worldwide, thanks to horrible wording from RIAA and Associated Press (first news organization to pick up the story). And its spread like wildfire. We need to get a big US movement to Thriller, but it will take work from the estate and Sony Music.

There def has been conspiracies against michael in the past but this one specifically.. I dont see it, maybe indirectly.. meaning the media had an agenda against Michael much through the 90s and much of the 00s which effect US fans opinion on him. He would have sold more overall if it wasnt tht case.. maybe enough to stay #1 here..

But if I think there is an agenda right now to top mike with the eagles.. it's a bit far fetch
There is definitely an anti MJ agenda in the reporting of this news by the media. But to say that RIAA, Eagles and Billboard are conspiring against Michael is indeed a bit far fetch.

All these MJ fan twitter accounts making this a race issue need to seriously stop...

And people wonder why MJ fans are considered weird.

I'm not convinced it isn't in part at least.

I find really sad that here, and it's my humble opinion, everytimes with Michael Jackson, the fans should be "moderate", not too passionate, to don't look "weird" etc..., that remind me this topic I have seen in lot of Jackson boards:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-45572.html?

I remember lot of peoples have tried to discredit these numbers, "50 millions albums in USA is impossible !!!", "104 millions worldwide is a joke" and litteraly call
the Jackson clan, Sony et Guiness record a bunch of liars, I find now funny that when the Eagles are very close to these 50 millions with their so-called 38 millions, sudently these numbers are seen like credible, that they are not "liars" or their fans "too weird" or "too extreme" to accept these crazy numbers.

Look, in this topic, myself and MjChris have posted the numbers of soundscans, maybe some fans are not aware, but soundscan since 1991 have the autority,
despite they have also their owns flaws, in term of sales, RIAA are NOT a credible source if their numbers contradict to such maner the soundscan numbers, that not from "weird" Michael Jackson fans, that something every serious analyst have noticed since the 90's about Eagles sales, again see the Medium or the Reuters articles about that, we can't call them "weird Michael Jackson fan".

For RIAA, I don't know why, but lot of peoples think they are something objective like a government agency or something like that, NO, they work directly for the Music Groups, and have imposed to count whatever these big studio have put in shipment, and that THE problem, RIAA don't count real physical sales like Soundscan, but simply shipment, if Warner Music for the Eagles want to make in sales 50 millions more albums in USA, they will be counted for the RIAA.

In other words, they are not really different in their methodology than Guiness with Sony when they have claimed that the sales from Thriller are 120 millions worldwide, and 50 millions or more today in USA; they take directly the information from the big studio, and without the Guiness, nobody could have known that Thriller is the biggest selling album of all the time; so why to accept the RIAA count and not the Guiness ? imho they are not different, and sometimes they work together, like Billboard and RIAA.

Also another thing, honestly, do you really think is just a coincidence they have certified the Eagles album like the best selling selling album in USA for the 20th century, the 8 December 1999 ? Really ? In the last moment ? and why each times they have changed the way the count an album is for the Eagles ? in the 90's it was with music clubs, now they have invented a new way to count streaming numbers (10 single= 1 album), not for the others artists, but just for two Eagles albums, the greatest hits and hotel california.

Again I would love to know the actual numbers of Saturday Night Fever, but this album don't have been counted by the RIAA, according the forum UKmix, since the 80's; and well again for Thriller, again according the RIAA, despite the creation of the cd, the Bad album, the Victory and the Bad tour, we are the world and Captain Eo, Thriller have sold a little 1 million album between 1985 and 1990.

Well but I guess I'm too weird, look it's very good to be self critical, to try to be objective etc...when he was alive, I have been critical about the fans, or some Michael Jackson choice, but I'm sorry no, when they do something wrong against him or his work, we can and should tell that...and please, nobody is weirdest or more fanatic imo that the fans of Rock group music from the 70's, and specially the Eagles fans; I find the Michael Jackson fans extremely normal in comparaison.

Last edited:

How about US fans start streaming thriller on a loop?

I'll just try to see a positive side.. its aug, 2 months until Halloween. We all know thriller streams and sales spike around that time.. maybe it will be enough to top the numbers again and SOME media outlets could mention thriller topping #1 again..

That's news that wouldn't be possible If mike was always at #1

Michael himself thought there was a conspiracy against him. Measarau has gone on record many times to say MJ told him Sony were involved in 2005.

^This. And you wonder why Sony didn't promote Invincible as much as they should have.
IMO its not that much of a stretch when they could have easily said "Eagles have the biggest selling album of all time in the US". But misleading titles like above sell more.

No one denies conspiracies against michael.. but not everything that takes him from the top.. or when someone breaks his records means conspiracy.

It is actually possible for Michael to lose sometimes.. you know hes lost more grammy nominations than won.. its ok! Hes still the best

KOPV, sincerely is not about conspiracy, or at least it's not just about that, it's about to not be naive with the way of the RIAA work, they are a commercial organisation who promote the albums of the studios; so to Warner Music, sadly Sony seem to deny or don't want to have such a close relation with the RIAA; in 2006 they have chosen the Guiness records; there are no difference.

So why the RIAA is seen like such a model in the USA, and not the numbers from Sony via the Guiness records, for the album Thriller ? Quincy Jones himself if I remember correctly in his last book have talked about 120 millions albums for Thriller, so for him, more of 50 millions albums in the USA; whatever what we think about these numbers, Sony and Quincy are also a direct credible sources for the Thriller sales.

I agree it's not conspiracy.. that's what I'm saying

Well that depend what we put behind the word "conspiracy", to don't accept these fake numbers from RIAA about Eagles sales (thanks Soundscan), it's not to be a conspiracist or because we don't want to see Michael Jackson "lose".

Back