The Estate's Five Project Ideas for 2013 - What's Your Favorite?

The Estate's Five Project Ideas for 2013 - Pick YOUR Favorite!

• A Blu-Ray release of Jackson's July 2009 memorial service

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If I called you detractors it was because you were perfectly aware about his health problems but you continue bashing the HWT even though you know. How could he give or accomplish perfect shows vocally talking if lupus and laryngitis were messing with them? Billie Jean Motown 25 is one of the most iconic performances he has and the vast majority, I include myself didn't care it was lip-synced. Also the MTV VMA's 1995 performance is one of the most phenomenal and electrifying ones I've seen him doing and it was lip-synced as well. If he was lacking an element for any reason, he compensated it with others. He was great conveying messages and being such a tremendous showman and if you weren't able to see it and appreciate it, it's your loss.

If I called you detractors it was because you were perfectly aware about his health problems but you continue bashing the HWT even though you know. How could he give or accomplish perfect shows vocally talking if lupus and laryngitis were messing with them?

You are missing the point completely. We did not "bash" the HWT just for the sake of it. We did not demand MJ should have given a perfect show despite of his health problems. We just said we would not like it to get a highly publicized release and we gave the reason why. Why MJ wasn't in top form in that tour does not really matter from the point of view of this discussion (and every fan knows anyway), which is only that we want the world to see him at his best and not when he was not in top form, ill, not able to sing etc.

That was it, but you want to turn it into something else and you keep trying to argue points those weren't even made...

Last edited:
^My point was none of us should bash him knowing he had a contract to follow and it wasn't his fault he wasn't in his best shape vocally because what he had was chronic and degenerative. Michael should had toured having such health issues but it seemed his bosses wouldn't had cared. If the Estate has in their hands a concert worth releasing which is up to Michael's standards of greatness, I'll completely supportive!

Changing subject, if they release the duets project, it most be with people who worked with him. If they dare to make it with current acts, it's gonna be such a crap, take pitbull as an example. Michael recorded more songs with Stevie Wonder, if the Queen band members don't release the songs with Freddie, Michael's Estate should do it. I've read he recorded a song with Ray Charles, they should had released Another Day with Lenny Kravitz the way Michael left it. LL Cool J himself told he recorded more songs with him, if exists, the Crack Kills duet with Run DMC. I think there's plenty of material with duets and there's no need to update them IMO.

Wouldn't you want a release that was critically acclaimed rather than critically bashed?*

No, I want a release that I will enjoy, simple. I could care less whether Roger Friedman enjoyed it or not. Michael will always be bashed by the media anyway, no matter how perfect a release is, the media will always find a little something negative in it. They could say a release is great and then write that Michael was a child molestor in the next sentence. They are no friends of Michael and they never will be, so I don't want to let the media decide for me which part of Michael's art was good or bad, or what should be released or not. I love the History tour, I think the shows were great and entertaining. Of course Michael didn't have as much energy as he did when he was younger, but his shows were still better than any other artist, so who cares? If you showed the History tour to a little kid, he would go 'wow'. Just like everybody did when they saw Motown 25. I guess we should never let anyone see THAT performance, just in case someone might notice Michael wasn't singing live...

I think if HWT ever gets released that should only be a low key fan release. Maybe on the collectors' label. Definitely not a cinema release. If you want to put a MJ concert in the cinemas then let it be something which shows him at his best, not at his worst!

I agree with this. I want the History tour on blu-ray, but I don't really care for a cinema release. They're not gonna release a lot of MJ concerts in theaters, so they should pick carefully which ones to release.

People these days are very conscious about lip-synching.

I don't think so. I just think that people who care about that are more vocal about it. I never paid attention to lip-synching, for any artist, until I came on this forum. Live singing was just not important for me, I was more interested in the overall performance, like dancing, staging, etc. When I watched a performer, I wasn't thinking "Hum, let's see, are they singing live or is that the CD track?" I was just enjoying the song and the show they put on. And it's not just me. I don't know anyone in my family or among my friends who notice lip-synching or care to know whether a performer is singing live or not. Of course if Michael had been one of those artists who do nothing but sing, then it would be different. People would come to see them to hear them sing. But in Michael's case, people came to see the whole package, so live singing was not so important.

Last edited:
It's not just media critics, but the general record buying public. People these days are very conscious about lip-synching. We have to think of Michael's legacy. Do we want people to think that he was an act who lip-synched 95% of his concerts, who could not sing live? That would be the impression they'd take away from watching HWT. IMO it's important for his legacy that people see him in his best form, not when he had problems.

I like the gold pants as much as the next woman, but HWT is still not the tour I would show to a non-fan if I'd want to impress them with Michael. Bad Tour, Dangerous Tour, Victory Tour, Triumph Tour, Destiny Tour - anything but not HWT.

If fans want HWT, fine, but only as a low key fan release, not something highly publicized IMO. I don't want people to mock Michael as someone who cannot sing live. It just would not be fair to him. As long as there is material that shows him in better form than HWT I don't know why the release of HWT (which could open him up to much criticism) is so important.

There is no material that could be released on blu-ray (or cinema) other than Munchen and 30th Anniversary. Those are the only shows in their possession shot in HD.

I would love to have HIStory blu-ray. I would buy that blu-ray or cinema ticket instead of Bad Tour VHS any day. If they released that old VHS they can release HIStory Tour too. Even though MJ lip synced 95% of it, it will still be far better release than Bad Wembley VHS.

(Release, not the show.)

Being on this forum made me realize how people make such huge fuss over the lip-syncing also. When I watched the live in Munchen concert, I was 12 and it was the first time I was exposed a concert of his. I was naive, I thought he sang live and absolutely mesmerized by the songs, choreographies, special effects, the whole concept. Watching it over years then I found out but it didn't matter, I still find it magical because like I said before Michael conveyed his messages beautifully and successfully and the fact he was able make happy and feel goosebumps to thousands of people in every stadium he sold out is priceless. Even though I couldn't attend to any of his concerts, no one will ever take that from me. It's your loss if you weren't able to see the magic and beauty of The HIStory World Tour!

I love the HIStory Tour, i think Michael's dancing on this tour was fantastic. But as far as a commercial release, i say no. I would much rather the Victory Tour or more bad tour footage be commercially released. The HIStory tour is very easily available online in excellent quality, there is not much footage at all surfacing of the Victory tour in good quality. I would love to see LA 89, MSG 88, Tokyo 88, and the early bad tours where MJ was still experimenting with the costumes (red shirt, black shirt, etc..)

i almost feel like the estate should be releasing an album a year with the amount of material they have, we know for sure at the very minimum there is somewhere between 100 - 150 songs in the vault. I don't see how they will get all of this material released by 2018. unless they do some box sets or double albums.

I would love to see the Victory Tour released...It's the one where I've seen almost no footage of...so that would definitely be a treat :)

F**k critics and non MJ fans indeed, the truth is that only hard core fans are currently buying the newest products. See how Michael and Bad 25 are doing.

Because Michael has only been dead for a few years. Look at Jimi Hendrix. There was an album released only a few years after his death that peaked at #42 on the charts. Decades later, his most recent album skyrocketed to #2. It's mainly the test of time. Seems stupid, yes. But recent posthumous releases of long-passed artists are usually received better commercially. If a new Beatles album with never-before-heard songs was announced tomorrow you can bet it would debut at number one.

I don't think so. I just think that people who care about that are more vocal about it. I never paid attention to lip-synching, for any artist, until I came on this forum. Live singing was just not important for me, I was more interested in the overall performance, like dancing, staging, etc. When I watched a performer, I wasn't thinking "Hum, let's see, are they singing live or is that the CD track?" I was just enjoying the song and the show they put on. And it's not just me. I don't know anyone in my family or among my friends who notice lip-synching or care to know whether a performer is singing live or not. Of course if Michael had been one of those artists who do nothing but sing, then it would be different. People would come to see them to hear them sing. But in Michael's case, people came to see the whole package, so live singing was not so important.

Everybody I know notices lip-synching and for a lot of people it's a big downer as far as concerts go. As I said why release something that would make it easy for critics to bash Michael when there are so many things they could release that would show him in top form?

There is no material that could be released on blu-ray (or cinema) other than Munchen and 30th Anniversary. Those are the only shows in their possession shot in HD.

I would love to have HIStory blu-ray. I would buy that blu-ray or cinema ticket instead of Bad Tour VHS any day. If they released that old VHS they can release HIStory Tour too. Even though MJ lip synced 95% of it, it will still be far better release than Bad Wembley VHS.

(Release, not the show.)

I completely disagree with this. I think Wembley is 1000x better than any HIStory Tour concert - even in that quality.

I still affirm that the estate won't get a penny of my money on a HIStory tour project.

(Release, not the show.)

Seriously? You would rather have a half-assed show in good quality than a phenomenal show in decent quality? I'm not judging as I know it's your own personal preference. Unless you're a quality buff the Bad tour DVD is still a phenomenal release and is miles better than any History tour show.

i almost feel like the estate should be releasing an album a year with the amount of material they have, we know for sure at the very minimum there is somewhere between 100 - 150 songs in the vault. I don't see how they will get all of this material released by 2018. unless they do some box sets or double albums.

One album a year? No way. There are roughly 100, maybe 125 songs remaining in the vault that can be released along with countless demos of past songs and alternate recordings. Besides, the estate will not release every single song by the end of the contract - not because they can't, because they don't want to. It was never meant to be that way. It would be terrible if they released every song by then, as we would never hear another unreleased song. They'll do one or two more studio albums of new material by 2017, along with some other projects that would include new music. At least that's what makes sense.

Bad Tour film reels are somewhere so it can be released in HD some day. I hope sooner than later. It would be amazing to see that blue shirt concert that can be seen in Moonwalker MITM in cinemas and on blu-ray.

I love the HIStory Tour, i think Michael's dancing on this tour was fantastic. But as far as a commercial release, i say no. I would much rather the Victory Tour or more bad tour footage be commercially released. The HIStory tour is very easily available online in excellent quality, there is not much footage at all surfacing of the Victory tour in good quality. I would love to see LA 89, MSG 88, Tokyo 88, and the early bad tours where MJ was still experimenting with the costumes (red shirt, black shirt, etc..)

They don't have any show in full from the Bad Tour in good quality, other than Yokohama.
They never said they are planning to release all material by 2017. They just signed 10 PROJECTS (not albums!!) deal with Sony. They will probably release 1 or 2 more albums by 2017. That is 20 songs. After that who knows.. maybe they will sign another contract with Sony or any other company and continue to release new songs and other material. That can go on forever.

I really doubt they have any footage from the Victory Tour knowing that they don't have Bad Tour in decent or releasable quality.

Last edited:
Everybody I know notices lip-synching and for a lot of people it's a big downer as far as concerts go. As I said why release something that would make it easy for critics to bash Michael when there are so many things they could release that would show him in top form?

Apparently there is not.

Seriously? You would rather have a half-assed show in good quality than a phenomenal show in decent quality?

I would rather have a phenomenal show in DECENT quality. But I would rather have GOOD show in PERFECT quality, than a phenomenal show in bad VHS quality.

They don't have any show in full from the Bad Tour in good quality, other than Yokohama.
They never said they are planning to release all material by 2017. They just signed 10 PROJECTS (not albums!!) deal with Sony. They will probably release 1 or 2 more albums by 2017. That is 20 songs. After that who knows.. maybe they will sign another contract with Sony or any other company and continue to release new songs and other material. That go on forever.

I really doubt they have any footage from the Victory Tour knowing that they don't have Bad Tour in decent or releasable quality.

Well, in the Bad 25 section there was a post made recently by someone who contacted Michael's lead cameraman during the Bad era, Pecchi. He said they DID record full shows on film! He wrote:

Miles of 35 neg, shows, interviews, moments with MJ, some great stuff. I Have no idea where the footage is now. Rather certain entire UK show was filmed.

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/128712-Mr-Pecchi-responded-to-my-Email!!

So they do exist. The Estate should put some effort into finding them.

I'm all in favour for the studio album with unreleased songs.

Well, in the Bad 25 section there was a post made recently by someone who contacted Michael's lead cameraman during the Bad era, Pecchi. He said they DID record full shows on film! He wrote:

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/128712-Mr-Pecchi-responded-to-my-Email!!

So they do exist. The Estate should put some effort into finding them.

Of course I know that many shows were shot on film, But the Estate don't have the reels, and even worse they don't know who does!. It's worse situation than with will.i.am songs.

I have a question: Has the Dangerous Tour been shot on film? At least one concert? Because that's what they should release. DWT in Blu-Ray.

I would rather have a phenomenal show in DECENT quality. But I would rather have GOOD show in PERFECT quality, than a phenomenal show in bad VHS quality.

Well that's what you got. Wembley is in decent quality. And I don't consider any HIStory tour performance good.

They never said they are planning to release all material by 2017. They just signed 10 PROJECTS (not albums!!) deal with Sony. They will probably release 1 or 2 more albums by 2017. That is 20 songs. After that who knows.. maybe they will sign another contract with Sony or any other company and continue to release new songs and other material. That can go on forever.

I don't know where you got that info, but that is very false. There are tons of bad tour shows they could release in great quality, same goes for Victory, and every other tour for that matter. You do realize that most of if not all of Michaels shows were recorded, whether it was professionally filmed, or taken from the jumbo tron like Wembley, so yes they have PLENTY of shows they could release .

I don't know where you got that info, but that is very false. There are tons of bad tour shows they could release in great quality, same goes for Victory, and every other tour for that matter. You do realize that most of if not all of Michaels shows were recorded, whether it was professionally filmed, or taken from the jumbo tron like Wembley, so yes they have PLENTY of shows they could release .

That is not true. Shows were filmed yes, but the Estate don't have them. John Branca confirmed it in an official announcement. Maybe you should find that and read it. They have Yokohama in full with great audio and video. That's it. They have pieces of different concerts but not the full show. And if they do have the full show with releasable video quality they don't have the audio. It's all in the official statement.

They didn't say anything about Victory Tour but I would say it is the same situation.

There is someone who has all those films, but that's not MJ's Estate.

Well that's what you got. Wembley is in decent quality. And I don't consider any HIStory tour performance good.

Let's agree to disagree. I watched that DVD/VHS 2 or 3 times. I watched Bucharest like 100 times or more. The quality is unwatchable for official release.

Let's agree to disagree. I watched that DVD/VHS 2 or 3 times. I watched Bucharest like 100 times or more. The quality is unwatchable for official release.

Agreed unwatchable for an official release. Give us something worth watching. The performance was great quality was crap.

I agree that Wembley isn't as great quality as Bucharest but I'm still extremely grateful to have gotten it. Keep in mind we've wanted it for several years and I truly believe the estate did all they could to find it for us.

I agree that Wembley isn't as great quality as Bucharest but I'm still extremely grateful to have gotten it. Keep in mind we've wanted it for several years and I truly believe the estate did all they could to find it for us.

I wanted it too, but not this way. I believe that too. But I would rather if they released Live CD Unedited 2CD's without DVD. And when they find the masters or film reels then release the DVD. Not this way. They just wanted to put something out for Bad25 just because they were given high quality audio.

Back