The Jacksons announce 50th anniversary Canada and UK tour - [UPDATED] Tour dates post #14

Fifty years since their first record contract, The Jacksons are on a UK tour. Duncan Seaman spoke to eldest brother Jackie. It’s a golden year for America’s most famous family music group The Jacksons. 2017 marks 50 years since they emerged from the chitlin’ circuit to sign their first record contract – an initial step on a journey which would eventually transform the brothers from Gary, Indiana into major stars.

For Jackie Jackson, the eldest of the clan, their forthcoming British concerts – which include Scarborough’s Open Air Theatre – offer a chance reconnect with an audience who’ve stayed with them from early Motown hits such as I Want You Back and ABC through the R&B, funk and disco years of Show You The Way To Go and Can You Feel It to the present day. “Every time we come there it’s an exciting moment for us because there are some fond memories that we have over there in Britain,” says the 66-year-old singer. “We have a lot of fans there so I look forward to it every time we come.” As far as the group – now a four-piece comprising Jackie, Jermaine, Tito and Marlon – are concerned the best way to celebrate their 50th anniversary is to “do what we’ve always done, put on a high energy show and then people will have fun”. Back in the 1960s, before their father Joe spotted the brothers’ musical potential, Jackie Jackson was an aspiring sportsman. “I was very close to being a professional baseball player but I think I did the right thing by sticking with my brothers because baseball careers only last for so long but you can sing forever,” he reflects today.

When the five-piece, then fronted by child prodigy Michael Jackson, signed to Berry Gordy’s Motown Records there were regular sporting challenges with their new label boss. “We had all kind of games going on because Berry Gordy and his crew were so competitive and we were too,” Jackie recalls. “Whether it was backgammon, football or baseball games, ping pong, you name it. Berry was a very competitive guy and so were we, so we had games together all the time.” Jackie remembers his first meeting with Berry Gordy well. “We flew out to Detroit, that’s where he was stationed at the time; the following year he moved to Los Angeles. We met him at Hitsville. Great sounds came out of that little studio and when you went there you’d see everybody hanging out at the studio all the time – Smokey Robinson, The Temptations – if they were in town everybody had a history of just hanging out. We saw a lot of big stars who we really worshipped at the time, just to see them in person for the first time like that and meet Berry Gordy it was something that you never forget.” The ultra-competitive Jackson Five’s first six singles for Motown were all million sellers in the US and four of them were Number Ones. For Jackie it was a magical era. “When you hear your first single on the radio, and they are playing it constantly every half-hour, that’s a lot, you pretty much have a riot. I remember those days when I heard I Want You Back on the radio – as a matter of fact I pulled off the road to hear it. You hear it all the time in the recording studio but when you hear it on the radio it sounded even better. I don’t know what it is, just that radio vibe that you get is so exciting, so I pulled off to the side of the road. Then I turned to another channel on the radio and there it was playing there. It was playing all over the radio everywhere.” Having enjoyed huge success at Motown, Jackie admits it was “a hard decision” to leave for Epic Records in 1976. “That’s where we started, they taught us pretty much everything we knew about recording and also producing music,” he says. “But when our contract expired we wanted to write some of our own material and to express to our fans songs that were coming from us so we moved over to Epic. It was a hard decision but I thought we made a great decision. I don’t take nothing away from Motown – that’s where we were born and I will always have love for the company.”

Around the time of The Jacksons’ 1978 album Destiny Michael’s career as a songwriter began to blossom. Jackie sounds audibly moved when talking about his younger brother, who went on to colossal success as a solo artist with the albums Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad. “He’s pretty much the Number One artist in the world, he sold more records than anyone, and to see him do what he was doing I was so proud of him because his last name’s Jackson, that was my brother. I knew he had that in him, we all knew that, he was such a hard worker and to see him flourish like that in the music industry, he set certain standards when it came to videos and the music that he did, I was so proud of him.” Jackie agrees that Michael’s death in 2009 at the age of 50 made him and his brothers want to celebrate the family’s musical legacy. “There’s not a day goes by that I don’t feel that for the sake of my brother,” he says. “When anyone loses someone like that you feel like that, but he just happened to be a great performer. When we perform concerts we always feel his presence on stage with us because we know at any given time he would be on stage and we just feel that moment. Sometimes it brings tears to your eyes and sometimes we laugh as well, and sometimes the audience cry with us too at the same time. Sometimes I can’t even get through a song I’m tearing up so much, I can’t even finish it because it tears at me right in the heart all the time. It’s an emotional moment at times.”

On a happier note, Jackie reports The Jacksons are making a new record. “As a matter of fact I’m in my home studio now,” he says. “That’s where we’ve been putting it together. I don’t want to speak too much about it right now but there’s going to be a new single coming out from The Jacksons.

” The Jacksons play at Scarborough Open Air Theatre on Saturday June 17. www.scarboroughopenairtheatre.com

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/what...ns-can-still-feel-it-after-50-years-1-8578838

OK, just back in Ireland after a great weekend in the UK for some shows. On Saturday night I saw Guns N Roses in the Olympic Stadium. Amazing show, almost 3 hours. Then last night, I made my way to Woodstock in Oxford for The Jacksons!

Was a little disappointed ahead of the show that they were only going to be playing for an hour and a half (tickets were pricey enough) but still expected a good show. Obviously, I wasn't expecting the Triumph Tour part 2, but the brothers still put on a good show. Gone Too Soon was gorgeously sung by Jermaine.

As good a show as it was, I think it was a bit of a misstep having Tito play 2 solo songs that no one knew (aside from 1 girl near me with an MJ logo tattoo who knew every word). The songs were good, but I think people would have preferred to hear 2 more Jacksons songs, or even Lets Get Serious.

Also, they didnt do the 2nd verse for a few songs, which was a bit odd.

The most annyong thing though... Shake Your Body is a FANTASTIC song, but unless you have Michael up there moonwalking, sidewalking, updown walking all over the place THERE IS NO NEED TO EXETEND IT TO ALMOST 20 MINUTES!!!! What a waste of another 2/3 songs!!!! Its a great closer, but they really could have at least halved it and fit in 2 other songs. Its cool that we got the same finish as their glory days, but lets face it, its not the same jacksons and it was Michael who made Shake Your Body work for that long (Im looking at you LA 84!!!)

Plus, they were 10 mins late, and stll finished before 10.30 so we got only around an 80 minute show. I think their sets were 20+ songs in 2013. Old age maybe?

The choreography was all decent- theyre still moving and siging well. Cant Let Her Get Away is still being played, which is an odd choice. Its my least favourite song funnily enough, but its still a great tune! Thats where they did the band intros.

All in all, glad to have gone and really enjoyed myself, enjoyed myself, enjoyed myself with them BAM BAM.

Also, it was lovely to meet AstralRomance there! Lovely chat in the blistering sun before and after the show. MY first time meeting a fellow MJJC member!

Highlights:

Heartbreak Hotel, Can You Feel It, Motown Medley

Low points: Duration, Titos tunes, loong Shake Your Body

Setlist and some photos below!

1. Can You Feel It

Play Video
  2. Blame It on the Boogie

Play Video
  3. Rock With You
    (Michael Jackson cover)
    Play Video
  4. Enjoy Yourself

Play Video
  5. Show You the Way to Go

Play Video
  6. Lovely One

Play Video
  7. I Want You Back / ABC / The Love You Save / Dancing Machine
    (The Jackson 5 cover)
    Play Video
  8. Never Can Say Goodbye
    (The Jackson 5 cover)
    Play Video
  9. I'll Be There
    (The Jackson 5 cover)
    Play Video
  10. Gone Too Soon
    (Michael Jackson cover)
    Play Video
  11. When the Magic Happens
    (Tito Jackson Solo)
    Play Video
  12. Get It Baby
    (Tito Jackson Solo)
    Play Video
  13. Can't Let Her Get Away
    (Michael Jackson cover)
    Play Video
  14. This Place Hotel

Play Video
  15. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
    (Michael Jackson cover)
    Play Video
  16. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)

19399183_10158908830530343_5768443469674083138_n.jpg
    19366131_10158908830785343_6808535635486528914_n.jpg
    19260461_10158908830990343_590194097315884935_n.jpg
    19396924_10158908831170343_6010856562638282715_n.jpg
    19260525_10158908831355343_3300747117712128238_n.jpg
    19275224_10158908831730343_4678060332690120939_n.jpg

Why, why, why, why, why have they not released a live l.p. with a companion home video yet?! They should be doing it like The Eagles did and have three new studio tracks on it and a "short promotional film" for each of them included in it! And ones of great quality! I just don't get it! That is something very important to show that they can do their job without Michael! Do people not understand this?! This is also something that they need to be touring behind before they release a new studio l.p.!

I'm glad Tito got to do 2 songs. He needs to promote his record. Sounds like a good show.
It is a nice idea on paper Barbee, but everyone sat down for them (he actually told people to sit back and enjoy) and ruined the flow of the show. Jermaine had some big hits in 84 to get his slot. It just killed the mood.

The songs sounded good live, but i listened to them today on Spotify and they arent great.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Why, why, why, why, why have they not released a live l.p. with a companion home video yet?! They should be doing it like The Eagles did and have three new studio tracks on it and a "short promotional film" for each of them included in it! And ones of great quality! I just don't get it! That is something very important to show that they can do their job without Michael! Do people not understand this?! This is also something that they need to be touring behind before they release a new studio l.p.!
It wouldnt sell, simple as that. The fact of the matter is The Jacksons are not half the group without Michael. He had a far superior voice and was a far superior dancer. Most people wanted to see Michael and hear the songs the way they should be sung. They put on a great show, but a live album would be a snooze fest. None of their voices are strong enough to carry any of the songs as they should be heard.

concert albums

Live albums haven't been popular since the 1970s or 1980s, unless you count the brief period in the 1990s when MTV Unplugged was a thing. Even that wasn't really a regular concert, it was for a MTV show. Some like Pearl Jam sell live albums of different concerts themselves, but they're not official releases sold in a store. It was the same thing the Grateful Dead did during their time. Live albums are even less of a trend in R&B / hip hop today. Anyway, a lot of people today go to concerts and film the entire thing with their phones, and some post it on Youtube. So there's your live album. :hysterical:

Re: concert albums

Live albums haven't been popular since the 1970s or 1980s, unless you count the brief period in the 1990s when MTV Unplugged was a thing. Even that wasn't really a regular concert, it was for a MTV show. Some like Pearl Jam sell live albums of different concerts themselves, but they're not official releases sold in a store. It was the same thing the Grateful Dead did during their time. Live albums are even less of a trend in R&B / hip hop today. Anyway, a lot of people today go to concerts and film the entire thing with their phones, and some post it on Youtube. So there's your live album. :hysterical:

Exactly. Metallica do it also, where they provide downloads for all their concerts.

Live albums just don't sell well, and are rarely looked upon with praise. The only live album I regularly return to is The Last Waltz, and thats loaded with overdubs!

Re: concert albums

Exactly. Metallica do it also, where they provide downloads for all their concerts.

Live albums just don't sell well, and are rarely looked upon with praise. The only live album I regularly return to is The Last Waltz, and thats loaded with overdubs!
I think live albums mainly came out when jazz & rock music were really popular. With live jazz albums, the band might not play the song exactly like the studio version because jazz is about improvisation, same with jam bands. Live gospel albums were a thing because it's more about the energy that might not be on a studio version. So the listeners are not just getting a reproduction of the studio version they already had. For the last 20 or so years, hip hop has mainly been the #1 genre (in the USA) and rap has never been known for having live records. A lot of rap wasn't "live" in the first place, it was a studio creation which used a DJ/turntablist, sampling, or programmed drum machine beats. You can't really reproduce samples with a band in a concert, so the DJ is there to do that. When home video came about people could watch a videotape/DVD of a concert rather than just hearing it. A lot of current mainstream pop acts are more about the visual show, so a DVD would make more sense than an audio only release. Like the song said "video killed the radio star". MTV made the visual more important than the music itself.

For any 'Jacksons' fans who may not know: 'Tito Jackson' (yep, the man himself), is posting a lot of live footage on his FB page. There has been lots of video from 'behind the scenes' at each concert, from their between-gigs motor journeys and today several vids. of various radio interviews in London. The guys are really working hard behind the scenes and Tito aims to bring all the 'action' to the fans. Very worthwhile watching for anyone (like me :) ) who might think that non-concert days are rest days! Not a bit of it. Being on the road for a concert tour looks like a very full-time job, even for a very established group like the Jacksons.

(With enormous thanks to Tito for sharing all his vids. )

Thanks innuendo for that write up and the pics! I didn't go in the end so I'm happy to read what you thought!

As much as I would like to see the Jacksons on stage, I'll have to admit that I don't think I'd actually enjoy the concert aside from the fact it is The Jacksons.. seeing them sing Michaels parts, stiffly prancing around the stage.. I think I'd be bothered too much!

I'm not saying some are not talented, just as a group without Michael.. it doesn't work for me!

As much as I would like to see the Jacksons on stage, I'll have to admit that I don't think I'd actually enjoy the concert aside from the fact it is The Jacksons.. seeing them sing Michaels parts, stiffly prancing around the stage.. I think I'd be bothered too much!

I'm not saying some are not talented, just as a group without Michael.. it doesn't work for me!
Its easy to enjoy, all youve to do is have a few drinks to help you forget how much you paid to go there!

I was at Blenheim Palace in Oxford, and it was really nice.

Of course I missed Michael singing the songs, instead of his brothers.
But overall, they did a good job. I just didn't like that Tito had to promote his songs from his new album... the great jacksons feeling was lost for 10 minutes... and everyone was sitting down.

What was also impressive, that I saw how much more talented Michael was, especially in dancing and entertaining..
Nonetheless a good jacksons vibe went through the crowd. :)

Its easy to enjoy, all youve to do is have a few drinks to help you forget how much you paid to go there!

Haha, If I have to drink to find it worth it, I made a bad buy for me.. I'm sure it's not a bad show, I just.. no, especially for the costs.

Too bad they aren't coming to the states. It is hard to not have MJ be a part of it.

God, I would kill to have a live l.p. and companion film preferably of performances from multiple shows plus three new studio recordings...of course having one of those three new studio songs be a title track as well! There is no reason this cannot or should not be done...

I was at Blenheim Palace in Oxford, and it was really nice.

Of course I missed Michael singing the songs, instead of his brothers.
But overall, they did a good job. I just didn't like that Tito had to promote his songs from his new album... the great jacksons feeling was lost for 10 minutes... and everyone was sitting down.

What was also impressive, that I saw how much more talented Michael was, especially in dancing and entertaining..
Nonetheless a good jacksons vibe went through the crowd. :)

It was a great day, and I definitely agree about Tito's songs. Jermaine's set worked in 84 because he was a star himself, and you can hear on the audios that people wanted to hear Lets Get Serious and Dynamite. Titos songs fell flat. He even said "sit back and enjoy" !!!! What a buzzkill.

I'm glad I went because now I got to say I've seen all members of the Jackson 5, but I wont travel to see them again, and I wont pay anywhere near what I padi to see them.

Haha, If I have to drink to find it worth it, I made a bad buy for me.. I'm sure it's not a bad show, I just.. no, especially for the costs.

Yeah, you are right on the money there. For almost the same price I saw Guns N Roses play for 2 hours 45 minutes the night before. Now that's value (something I never thought I would get from Axel Rose)

^^How much were tix? I'm surprised they were so expensive. Diana Ross is coming here next month and the highest ticket was $87.
Of course I waited so she sold out.

barbee0715;4197387 said:
^^How much were tix? I'm surprised they were so expensive. Diana Ross is coming here next month and the highest ticket was $87.
Of course I waited so she sold out.

Mine were middle range and came to around €100.00, which is steep for a show. Guns N Roses and Aerosmith were all around €100 recently and all did well over 2 hour sets (and are the original members of the band) so it was well worth it. As good and all as the Jacksons were, you wree paying to see a mere shadow of what the Jacksons were when Michael was the singer, so the price was a little high.

It was still a brilliant show and Im glad I went. I hope you get sorted witha ticket for Diana. I hope she comes to Ireland or the UK

Live albums don't sell

God, I would kill to have a live l.p. and companion film preferably of performances from multiple shows plus three new studio recordings...of course having one of those three new studio songs be a title track as well! There is no reason this cannot or should not be done...
Why don't you check out this week's Billboard album charts and see how many live albums are on them?

Billboard 200, R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, Top Rock Albums, Hard Rock Albums, Blues Albums,
Jazz Albums, Top Country Albums, Bluegrass Albums, Americana/Folk Albums, Top Gospel Albums, Top Christian Albums, Top Dance/Electronic Albums, Latin Albums, Regional Mexican Albums, Tropical Albums, Latin Pop Albums, Reggae Albums, Kid Albums, New Age Albums, Holiday Albums, Classical Albums, World Albums, Soundtracks, Alternative Albums, Catalog Albums, Vinyl Albums

For UK fans...don't forget that The Jacksons at Glastonbury will be on BBC 4 from about 10.00 (more likely 10.15) tonight...

I hope they get a good crowd :)

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/poPXl9lNj][/URL]

(Sad they were not able to do signings at earlier events..... but impressed that they are doing a signing at Glasto. at midnight, despite having a concert in Cardiff the next day. )

Last edited:
Innuendo141, Well, for you it was really expensive because apart from expensive ticket you had to travel from Ireland and then from London to Oxford. I went to see them because.. well, you know i live 10 miles away from the palace. So i didnt think too much i paid £100 because i was saving up on travel cost and just thought it would be a shame not to go when they come basically to my village. I liked the show and the weather was great. Just i really really miss Michael and his vocals.

Has anyone got the meet and greet package? I made an enquiry about the Cardiff show. It's £125 for meet and greet not including show ticket.

moonwalker5885;4197530 said:
Has anyone got the meet and greet package? I made an enquiry about the Cardiff show. It's £125 for meet and greet not including show ticket.

I think that's fairly standard.... the advert says that 'the package' is 'worth £100', so I imagine that a signed item and maybe a 50th anniversary tee are included....not sure though. (Plus you can take an item of your own to be signed...not sure what 'anticipated value' might be assigned to that.)

Back