The Jacksons announce 50th anniversary Canada and UK tour - [UPDATED] Tour dates post #14

AstralRomance;4197515 said:
Innuendo141, Well, for you it was really expensive because apart from expensive ticket you had to travel from Ireland and then from London to Oxford. I went to see them because.. well, you know i live 10 miles away from the palace. So i didnt think too much i paid £100 because i was saving up on travel cost and just thought it would be a shame not to go when they come basically to my village. I liked the show and the weather was great. Just i really really miss Michael and his vocals.

You are right, it was still a really great day. I can only imagine what it would have been like to see Michael perform the same set.

I see that Glastonbury got the 2 Tito songs too. That is such a buzzkill for a festival!

There's an early review of the J4 at Glastonbury. It's positive (which I'm glad about, as they seemed to have a lot of problems with the sound at the beginning), but I'm surprised the review mentions 'minimal interaction with the crowd'....I thought there was quite a lot, especially from Marlon.

Veteran pop group The Jacksons had Glastonbury festival-goers boogying wildly at the West Holts stage, as the band poignantly performed almost exactly eight years after Michael Jackson’s death.

Jackie, Tito, Jermaine and Marlon were on top form to delight fans choosing something with a more disco vibe than alt-J on the Other Stage or the relentless headliners Foo Fighters on the Pyramid.

Showing their years of experience, the Jacksons opened with classic hits and kept the popular tunes coming one after another.

There was minimal interaction with the crowd but there was a poignant moment when Jermaine spoke about the anniversary of brother Michael’s death.

Michael, perhaps the most famous Jackson because of his solo career producing records like Thriller and Billie Jean, died on June 25, 2009.

The Jacksons finished their set just minutes before June 24 became 25 in Somerset.

But despite a moment of reflection, this was largely music at its infectious, uplifting best.

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats...sons-glastonbury-2017-dancing-remember-134921

Admittedly there were sound issues at the beginning, but the Glastonbury show was pretty shoddy. They came across as four tribute artists. Even dressing and dancing like him.

Seemed weird doing MJ solo songs they had nothing to do with.

Admittedly there were sound issues at the beginning, but the Glastonbury show was pretty shoddy. They came across as four tribute artists. Even dressing and dancing like him.

Oooh, that's harsh. Somebody put it on Facebook-and I was going to watch it later.

Oooh, that's harsh. Somebody put it on Facebook-and I was going to watch it later.

I watched an earlier show on Youtube and it had all the 'fizz' drained out of it. It was a great show live, and the crowd loved it. I don't think the J4 come over as well on film as they do live. (MJ was amazing even on film, but I think that it's fairly rare for a performer to 'get through' and convey their true live performance on film). I think the Glastonbury set did get off to a bad start (sound-wise), but people have commented that it improved a lot later on. It might be worth watching the Scarborough one on YT, to get a more representative idea of the tour overall.

I've been watching Tito's video of fans queuing for signatures and photos after the Cardiff concert tonight. They seemed to have a big crowd and the fans queueing for sigs afterwards seem very happy....

This is Scarborough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eN-5hJ2IwE

Cardiff doesn't seem to be accessible et on YT, but you can see the size of the audience....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctxS46Y8tmE

And there are some professional stills here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/kevinconradpick/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1969944819950326

By the way, I've been surprised by how often they are ambushed for signatures...and people seem to have 'Jacksons' items ready for them to sign!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4vNF-mTBWk

Last edited:

I recorded this and watched it yesterday. I could barely hear Marlon throughout? I also died a little bit inside when I heard Rock With You start up. I don't know, I tried so hard to be positive throughout but I couldn't really and I agree with you. When I heard the beginning of Gone Too Soon and realised Jermaine was going to start singing that was enough and I turned it off. :ph34r: Perhaps it was my general mood with yesterday being what it was but I just wasn't feeling it at all.

I hate to be this negative, I know they're doing what they can in the circumstances but after seeing that I'm glad I decided not to go in the end. :(

I went to the Cardiff show last night. My first Jacksons concert. The energy was amazing. The crowd remained on their feet the whole time.
The group really pulled together to perform their classic tunes.
Michael had a strong presence within the group. But performing without him they were just as great.
They came across a lot better live than all the videos I have ever watched online.
Tito's songs are not bad.
Jermaine's tribute to Michael with Gone Too Soon had everyone in tears.
From this live show they came across as a very strong family who really miss their little brother.
I hope they continue to perform for many years to come because they can still pull a good sell out crowd.
I also brought myself a hand signed photo of the brothers.

^ Thank you for this very nice review. I think most people who attend these concerts find them a lot more enjoyable and 'atmospheric' than the videos, which don't really do them justice.

Here is 'Gone too Soon' from Cardiff on 25 June 17:

And 'Heartbreak Hotel' from Cardiff

and here is 'Gone too soon' from Glastonbury on 24th June 17:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UsRFAVUBe0

I also brought myself a hand signed photo of the brothers.

Did you decide against the 'meet and greet' package? Tito was filming the latter and it's on his FB page.

Last edited:
Let me know what you think & if I was being unfair. :)
Blenheim Palace was a great night, but did seem more like a tribute act. Im glad to have gone, but all it did was highlight the hole left in the Jacksons since Michael died!

I just wanted to add to my previous post that I liked Tito's songs. I think if the Jacksons made new music together and actually toured that and threw in a couple of the old hits in the way they perform them now I think they could be onto something but then it's a case of whether they would get the crowds. But something tells me they don't want to do that. It's the only part of the set I didn't spend cringing in one way or another. I mean, I have to say I was shocked when I Can't Let Her Get Away started up. I can't help but feel I'm being harsh as I really want to give them a glowing review. Maybe it is the case that in the crowds it comes across so much better than on film, the crowds seem to love then anyhow.

It is TOTALLY awesome they do Michael's solo stuff! I want more, more, more! My real question is why they did not really get going again about five years before Michael passed...or to be more exact maybe a couple of years before, eh?

It is TOTALLY awesome they do Michael's solo stuff! I want more, more, more! My real question is why they did not really get going again about five years before Michael passed...or to be more exact maybe a couple of years before, eh?
Id imagine Michael was the cog in the wheel at all times. Countless times I remember reading Jermaine saying the Jacksons were going to tour, but nothing from the MJ camp.

I would loved to have seen MJ set out on a tour with the Jacksons after the trial, and then come back to focus on his own career.

Having listened to Glastonbury a few times, I must commend the band. They sound good for what I can assume is a group brought together on a much much smaller budget than their 70s/80s Tours!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The Jacksons are advertising that there will be a TV interview broadcast on ITV London today. (I don't know if that means only in the London area, which is a pity if so). I'm assuming it will be in the 6.00pm 'local news 'programme, but that hasn't been confirmed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, 'special offer' (I assume lower price) tickets are to be advertised for the Glasgow event, which has changed venue:

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmpvLjaEj][/URL]

Last edited:
Those "2 tickets for £50.00" offers dont sound good for the Jacksons...

innuendo141;4198089 said:
Those "2 tickets for £50.00" offers don't sound good for the Jacksons...

...but it's quite a long tour, and they've been (and are still going to) some quite big venues like racecourses and Glastonbury. Maybe the tour has just done too many large venues? (Plus they have been on TV during the tour, so maybe people feel that they have already 'seen' them).

...but it's quite a long tour, and they've been (and are still going to) some quite big venues like racecourses and Glastonbury. Maybe the tour has just done too many large venues? (Plus they have been on TV during the tour, so maybe people feel that they have already 'seen' them).

I dont agree with the above. Its not a long tour compared to most UK tours. People who like live music dont get a fix from seeing a live performance on TV. 2 for the price of 1 always screams low ticket sales for me. Didnt they move one of their shows recently to another venue? I assumed that it was to a bigger venue, but maybe not?

extract from 'The East Anglian Daily Times' (Prior to Newmarket racecourse show):

“I’ll Be There, Hal Davis produced that song, Willie Hutch wrote it. After school we used to go to the studio and they only could keep us for three hours because we were young kids, that was the law. We’d pick our social worker up and all go to the studio together,” Marlon recalls.

“She used to make sure they don’t go over time; ‘nine o’clock I don’t care what you’re doing, cut off’. If you know anything about recording it doesn’t really work that way when you get something going. ‘I’ve been trying to get this part forever’, Hal Davis [would say]. She said ‘you can get it tomorrow’.”

The Motown legends, who made their Glastonbury debut yesterday, are touring the UK this summer as part of their 50th anniversary celebrations; including a visit to Newmarket Racecourse June 30 for the Jockey Club Live’s Newmarket Nights. Click here for ticket info.

It doesn’t feel like half a century has passed.

“It came so suddenly because you’re not sitting back counting the years, you’re really not; you’re just doing your thing, having a great time and appreciating your fans around the world,” says Marlon, who has hinted his dancing days may be over soon.

He doesn’t see himself performing when he’s in his 70s, especially if he can’t give it 100 percent.

Newmarket visitors can expect most of the hits, from I Want You Back and ABC to Dancing Machine and Heartbreak Hotel.

“We’re going to have fun, we’re going to have a party. We love getting the audience involved, take ‘em on a journey with you.

“I’ve been to a few horse races, it’s okay. [Playing a race course] is kind of a first; the closest I can remember is we did something many year back, the Indianapolis 500 I believe. I’m looking forward to having some fun but I will not be betting - I came to work and get going.”

Which brings us full circle to my initial question. Is he still the danciest Jackson?

“My grandmother used to tell me and Michael ‘cut a rug for me, cut a rug’. It [dancing] didn’t come easy for me when I started out. It took me a while to catch on but once I got it, I got it. I can still get around. I still got a little bit of something left in the tank.”

http://www.eadt.co.uk/what-s-on/mic...lon-jackson-ahead-of-newmarket-show-1-5075884

Love Supreme Festival tonight, then Glasgow on Sunday.

I wonder if Jermaine will wear a kilt again. (I think this photo is from 2013??)

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmVjwuPnj][/URL]

For UK fans:
Magic Radio ???Verified account @magicfm 48m48 minutes ago
More
Legends The @Jacksons say music brings people together. ?? ?? Hear the interview from 6pm this Sunday on Magic Soul: http://listen.magic.co.uk/17712

Last edited:
Nice Newmarket racecourse review:

DANCING MACHINES

The weather forecast for last night in Newmarket was dire. Torrential rain dire. Not the kind of night to pop out for a pint of milk, much less to stand in the middle of a grassy field for two hours. But then last night was no ordinary night, because the Jacksons were in town!

That’s right, just ten minutes from my front door were Motown wunderkinds-turned-global-chart-slayers of American pop whose youngest, sorely-missed member (turned solo sensation) has been my icon since I was 7 years old (for context, I’m now 33). Needless to say, ‘excited’ was an understatement when describing my mood ahead of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity – and I wasn’t going to let a bit of rain dampen the experience.

Poncho purchased, the rain thankfully stayed away during the gig, aside from a pre-stage time downpour. At 9:15pm, a quarter of an hour after the last horse race had been won at Newmarket’s world-famous stud, the four brothers promptly took to the stage for a blistering and energetic “Newmarket Nights” performance which encompassed all eras of their prolific half-century-long career – even touching on some of Michael’s iconic hits.

Opening with thumping power-anthem “Can You Feel It” following an introductory video which spliced family and tour footage with rampant fan testimonials, the 90minute set list replicated the Jackson’s Glastonbury roster from last weekend, with the only addition being vigorous encore “State Of Shock,” which was a welcome-if-surprising choice given how it is a Jacksons’ song in name only (it’s principally an MJ and Mick Jagger duet).

Encompassing funk, soul and pop, Marlon, Jackie, Jermaine and Tito rolled back the years by singing live throughout and busting out many an MJ-reminiscent dance move which totally belied their advanced years (they must all be at least late 50s-60s). While their voices weren’t always as full-mouthed as they are on the album cuts, there were no microphone issues such as those which blighted their televised Glasto set.

Jermaine shone brightest on the ballads (“I’ll Be There” and soaring MJ tribute “Gone Too Soon” from 1991’s Dangerous), while Marlon exceeded my expectations as a sparky and vibrant lead who often liked to groove when the music took him. Two-thirds through, Tito took over for a couple of funky tracks from his recently-released solo album (while the others took a short breather), but otherwise this was wall-to-wall hits.

Personally, the most welcome selection of the night was the left-field inclusion of “Can’t Let Her Get Away,” another MJ Dangerous cut which was never released as a single. This was a prime indication that the brothers know precisely how to milk a chooon of maximum funk. And with closer “Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)” lasting at least three times longer than the original track, it certainly wasn’t the last!

While the Jacksons will always be cast somewhat in the shadow of their legendary younger brother’s colossal and enduring solo career, by embracing and celebrating his legacy as well as their enviable-in-its-own-right own, they have orchestrated a killer concert experience which is as close as many will now ever get to experiencing the King of Pop live. This 50th Anniversary extravaganza certainly had Newmarket dancing and shouting last night – even if Marlon did mistakenly address the crowd as “Cambridge” at one point!

https://crabpendium.wordpress.com/2017/07/01/the-jacksons-at-newmarket-nights-live-review/amp/

Back