The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Hasn't Number Ones been in the UK album chart forever and a day now? Every week I check the album charts and see it there even without any promotion at all.

Yeah,but you can pick it up for three quid almost everywhere.

Even still, it's still pretty impressive and racking up a very large amount of weeks on the chart.

Definitely. He is one of an elite group of artists that virtually everyone will own a greatest hits album of.

(USA) Michael Jackson has FOUR albums between the 200 biggest sellers of the past week #KING
— The Best of Internet (@TheBestofMJJ) February 15, 2016

Weekly US Top Album Sales Chart (no streaming) #PresidentsDay

#59 Off The Wall
#95 Thriller
#97 Bad
#125 The Essential Michael Jackson
— The Best of Internet (@TheBestofMJJ) February 15, 2016

US charts 27/2

Billboard 200
93 Re-Entry 172 Off The Wall
109 133 151 253 Thriller
123 107 162 147 Bad
145 159 – 156 The Essential

Top 100 Album Sales
59 Re-Entry 3 Off The Wall
95 Re-Entry 116 Thriller
97 67 – 34 Bad

Top Catalog Albums
8 Re-Entry 210 Off The Wall
17 35 44 335 Thriller
18 13 24 118 Bad
30 Re-Entry 206 The Essential

R&B/Hip-Hop Catalog Albums
2 Re-Entry 199 Off The Wall
4 8 7 739 Thriller
5 2 2 309 Bad
10 21 17 357 The Essential
22 Re-Entry 476 Number Ones

Artist 100
44 66 65 59 Michael Jackson

Thanks JUSTTHEOTHERNIGHT

MJ has 4 Albums in the top 200

respect77;4136352 said:
US charts 27/2

Billboard 200
93 Re-Entry 172 Off The Wall
109 133 151 253 Thriller
123 107 162 147 Bad
145 159 – 156 The Essential

Top 100 Album Sales
59 Re-Entry 3 Off The Wall
95 Re-Entry 116 Thriller
97 67 – 34 Bad

Top Catalog Albums
8 Re-Entry 210 Off The Wall
17 35 44 335 Thriller
18 13 24 118 Bad
30 Re-Entry 206 The Essential

R&B/Hip-Hop Catalog Albums
2 Re-Entry 199 Off The Wall
4 8 7 739 Thriller
5 2 2 309 Bad
10 21 17 357 The Essential
22 Re-Entry 476 Number Ones

Artist 100
44 66 65 59 Michael Jackson

Thanks JUSTTHEOTHERNIGHT

MJ has 4 Albums in the top 200

I wonder if OTW will chart again once the documentary and the album are released. Hope that everyone is syill hyped and excitrd about the album.

I don't think MJ is ever not charting tbh.
Some current artist struggle to chart while MJ's music charts all the time.
He also has just as many monthly listeners on spotify as many current artist.:music:

He also has just as many monthly listeners on spotify as many current artist.:music:

Oh yes, that too. Ever since Spotify publishes that data he is around #60-#70 which makes him the top non-current artist on a long term. Sometimes other non-current artists overtake him, like David Bowie when he died, or the Beatles when they were first put on Spotify, or artists with big Christmas songs or a big Christmas catalog around Christmas, but then after that hype dies down they are back behind him. On a regular basis it's only current mainstream acts that are ahead of him.

This is amazing because he is one of the rare artists, especially when we talk about non-current ones, who do well on all kind of platforms. There are ones who have good sales but are not so good in streaming. There are ones that are good at streaming but not so good in sales. MJ has both. His albums regularly chart on the BB200 (often several of them at once) and he is also doing great on Spotify, YT etc.

Last edited:
Oh yes, that too. Ever since Spotify publishes that data he is around #60-#70 which makes him the top non-current artist on a long term. Sometimes other non-current artists overtake him, like David Bowie when he died, or the Beatles when they were first put on Spotify, or artists with big Christmas songs or a big Christmas catalog around Christmas, but then after that hype dies down they are back behind him. On a regular basis it's only current mainstream acts that are ahead of him.

This is amazing because he is one of the rare artists, especially when we talk about non-current ones, who do well on all kind of platforms. There are ones who have good sales but are not so good in streaming. There are ones that are good at streaming but not so good in sales. MJ has both. His albums regularly chart on the BB200 (often several of them at once) and he is also doing great on Spotify, YT etc.

I can't wait to see his spike in listeners during October.
Thriller may even be certified again.:D

Shame on Billboard for changing the rules yet again against Michael. Rihanna's shitty song is outsold by Flo Rida's "My House" (it is #2 on "Digital Songs" chart) and it's only #10 on "Radio Songs" chart (Justin Bieber's "Love Yourself" is #1). But because of the new streaming counts rule she has her 14th #1 single on Hot 100. Doesn't make ANY sense to me. It's like MTV in the '80s. Then TV ratings should also be counted on the charts. Thriller video was seen by millions but the song reached only #4, Smooth Criminal #7. Really shameful.

Rihanna & Drake Rise to No. 1 on Hot 100 With 'Work'

The song becomes Rihanna's 14th leader, lifting her past Michael Jackson for the third-most No. 1s all-time.

With the ascent of "Work," Rihanna collects her 14th Hot 100 leader, upping her into a solo share of the third-most No. 1s all-time, breaking a tie with Michael Jackson. Here's an updated look at the acts with the most Hot 100 No. 1s:

20, The Beatles
18, Mariah Carey
14, Rihanna
13, Michael Jackson
12, Madonna
12, The Supremes
11, Whitney Houston
10, Janet Jackson
10, Stevie Wonder

Shame on Billboard for changing the rules yet again against Michael. Rihanna's shitty song is outsold by Flo Rida's "My House" (it is #2 on "Digital Songs" chart) and it's only #10 on "Radio Songs" chart (Justin Bieber's "Love Yourself" is #1). But because of the new streaming counts rule she has her 14th #1 single on Hot 100. Doesn't make ANY sense to me. It's like MTV in the '80s. Then TV ratings should also be counted on the charts. Thriller video was seen by millions but the song reached only #4, Smooth Criminal #7. Really shameful.

The song becomes Rihanna's 14th leader, lifting her past Michael Jackson for the third-most No. 1s all-time.

With the ascent of "Work," Rihanna collects her 14th Hot 100 leader, upping her into a solo share of the third-most No. 1s all-time, breaking a tie with Michael Jackson. Here's an updated look at the acts with the most Hot 100 No. 1s:

20, The Beatles
18, Mariah Carey
14, Rihanna
13, Michael Jackson
12, Madonna
12, The Supremes
11, Whitney Houston
10, Janet Jackson
10, Stevie Wonder

MJ is beyond numbers his impact on the music industry is unparalleled, so Rihanna beating this record means nothing.
Additionally, along with his many other records he also has one of the most coveted records in the music industry which is best selling album.
Another thing to note is that Rihanna herself is a Michael Jackson fan and has even went as far as to dress like him, so I'm sure she herself knows she isn't on or anywhere near MJ's level because she "beat" a record. :beee:

20, The Beatles
18, Mariah Carey
14, Rihanna
13, Michael Jackson
12, Madonna
12, The Supremes
11, Whitney Houston
10, Janet Jackson
10, Stevie Wonder

MJ did not hold the record for most #1 singles anyway, and Rihanna was always mainly a singles artist, while MJ was mainly an albums artist (although he was still doing great on the singles charts too), so I don't really care about this particular statistics.
And no, Billboard did not change the rules just to be against MJ. That's ridiculous.

This week's Billboard 200

#65 Off The Wall
#91 Bad
#103 Thriller
#131 The Essential Michael Jackson

That MJ's albums still sell, still chart is much more significant than the number of #1 singles.

And no, Billboard did not change the rules just to be against MJ. That's ridiculous.

Nobody said they did. But the new rules go against artists who can actually sell music. And this is not the first time they changed their rules not in MJ's favour. If this was the case in the '80s MJ would had 30 #1 singles.

I was pleased to see slight sales increases for OTW, BAD, and Essential this week. Thriller only sold a few less than last week as well. ??

The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden

Official UK Music Video Chart Top 50

#28 LIVE AT WEMBLEY JULY 16 1988 Michael Jackson
#35 Moonwalker Michael Jackson
5 Retweets 4 Gefällt mir
The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ 3 Std.Vor 3 Stunden

UK Physical Album Chart

#38 Off The Wall Michael Jackson
#83 Bumber Ones Michael Jackson
1 Retweet 2 Gefällt mir
The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ 3 Std.Vor 3 Stunden

UK Album Chart (streaming + sales)

#62 Off The Wall Michael Jackson
#69 Number Ones Michael Jackson

The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ 5 Std.Vor 5 Stunden

Netherlands Top 100 Album Chart

#10 Off The Wall Michael Jackson

OFF THE WALL - DELUXE REISSUE

#12 Netherlands (Top 100 CombiAlbums)
#10 Netherlands (Top 100 Fullprice Albums)
#31 Belgium/Flanders (Top 200 Fullprice Albums)
#39 Belgium/Wallonia (Top 200 Fullprice Albums)

OFF THE WALL

#17 Australia (Top 100 Albums)
#1 Australia (Top 50 Catalogue Albums)
#1 France (Top 100 Back Catalogue Albums)
#24 Italy (Top 100 Artist Albums)
#62 United Kingdom (Top 100 Albums)
#52 United Kingdom (Top 100 Albums Sales)
#38 United Kingdom (Top 100 Physical Albums)
#64 Germany (Top 100 Albums)

NOTES:

The Italian comprehensive chart will be published Tuesday on TV Sorrisi e Canzoni magazine. Probably, Off the Wall will rank at 25th place.

The French comprehensive chart is not yet published.

In Australia, France, Italy, United Kingdom and Germany, all the editions of Off the Wall are counted as an only album.

Sources: ARIA, SNEP, FIMI, Dutch Charts, Ultratop, ODC e OCC

Thanks SimoneMJJ

UK charts, 4-10 March

Official albums chart
62 (RE) Off The Wall, 225 weeks
69 (56) Number Ones, 251 weeks

Album sales chart
52 (New) Off The Wall
82 (72) Number Ones

Physical albums chart
38 (RE) Off The Wall
83 (70) Number Ones

Album streaming chart
51 (50) Number Ones
58 (60) Bad
60 (63) The video singles
64 (65) This is it

Music video chart (28 Feb - 5 March)
28 (RE) Live at Wembley
35 (RE) Moonwalker

Thanks Justtheothernight

The Best of Internet hat The Best of Internet retweetet

On the other hand, OTW alone has sold almost 25,000 copies in the last 4 weeks in US (!!!)

The Best of Internet @TheBestofMJJ

Weekly US Billboard 200 Album Chart (albums/singles sales + streaming)

#61 Off The Wall
#131 Bad
#130 Thriller
#139 The Essential

The Best of Internet hat The Best of Internet retweetet

On the other hand, OTW alone has sold almost 25,000 copies in the last 4 weeks in US (!!!)

The Best of Internet @TheBestofMJJ

Weekly US Billboard 200 Album Chart (albums/singles sales + streaming)

#61 Off The Wall
#131 Bad
#130 Thriller
#139 The Essential

Wow! :bugeyed

The Best of Internet ?@TheBestofMJJ 11 Std.Vor 11 Stunden

Official UK Album Charts

35 Number Ones Michael Jackson

The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ 13 Std.Vor 13 Stunden

Official UK Albums Sales Chart Top 100 (sales)

#29 Number Ones
#75 The Essential Michael Jackson
#81 Off The Wall
2 Retweets 0 Gefällt mir
The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ 13 Std.Vor 13 Stunden

Official UK Albums Chart Top 100 (sales + streaming)

#29 Number Ones Michael Jackson
#77 The Essential Michael Jackson

Here is the chart positions of 4 of Michael Jackson's albums in the US Billboard 200. I just wish that they were higher. I just found it like this, that's all.

120 - Off The Wall
144 - Thriller
163 - Bad
168 - The Essential Michael Jackson

I know tracking global album sales for an act as popular as Michael in so many markets is a hard feat, but I was wondering do the mediatraffic estimates stack up accurately? Here they are:

'Got To Be There' (1971) 1.5 million
'Ben' (1972) 3 million
'Music & Me' (1973) 1 million
'Forever Michael' (1975) 0.5 million
'The Best Of Michael Jackson' (1975) 1.5 million
'Off The Wall' (1979) 20 million
'One Day In Your Life' (1981) 1 million
'Thriller' (1983) 67 million
'18 Greatest Hits' (1984) 1 million
'Farewell My Summer Love' (1984) 1 million
'Bad' (1987) 33 million
'Dangerous' (1991) 30 million
'HIStory' (1995) 20 million
'Blood On The Dancefloor: HIStory In The Mix' (1997) 4 million
'Invincible' (2001) 7 million
'Greatest Hits: HIStory Volume 1' (2001) 3 million
'Number Ones' (2003) 11 million
'The Essential Michael Jackson' (2005) 6 million
'The Motown Years' (2008) 1 million
'The King Of Pop' (2009) 3 million [Supposed to be King Of Pop]
'This Is It' (2009) 5 million
'Michael Jackson' (2010) 2.5 million [Supposed to be Michael]
'Immortal' (2011) 0.7 million
'Xscape' (2014) 1.7 million

Total : 225.4 million

I know Bad and Blood On The Dance Floor are outdated numbers, and I think Thriller and Dangerous may be too low by 1-2M each, but I really never knew how much albums like Number Ones, Essential Michael Jackson, etc. really sold WW. Do these seem correct, and is Michael's total album sales as a solo artist around 230M? As far as I'm aware, Michael is considered the second best-selling albums act ever after The Beatles, and third best-selling total records act ever after The Beatles and Elvis Presley (terrible tracking for Elvis' stats).

As far as I'm aware, Michael is considered the second best-selling albums act ever after The Beatles, and third best-selling total records act ever after The Beatles and Elvis Presley (terrible tracking for Elvis' stats).

I think all of those artists cases the sales numbers tend to be exaggerated. When they say that Elvis or the Beatles sold 1 billion records there aren't really receipts to back that up either. (Elvis.com even admits that the number is probably exaggerated.) Probably MJ did not sell 750 million records either, but since there are exaggerated numbers thrown around for every other artist, I don't think we should get too nit-picky about MJ's numbers either.

I think probably he IS the third best selling artist of all times, it's only the overall number that may be exaggerated - but that is exaggerated for all other artists as well.

Last edited:
Back