The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

History is a great album, but still very expensive compared to other GH's albums.

I sure would like to see History on that list. I don't get it why people don't buy it as much others, especially now that TDCAU is basically national anthem when there is protests:scratch:
Maybe when the estate brings out History 25 or even before, more youngsters discover it.

My guess is two reasons. Firstly, the fact it's 2CDs makes it more expensive. If people want the greatest hits side of it, they'll go for the cheaper compilations.

Secondly, it's not as famous as Thriller, Bad, OTW and, perhaps, Number Ones - which more people seem to be focused on getting. All of which tend to be half the price in the USA.

Especially if we're talking about younger folk, who buy far less albums now and instead just stream/download faaaar loooot more nowadays (be it legally or illegally). Even with the increased attention of TDCAU, why buy the whole album when you can buy the song for a dollar or stream/download it for free? Certainly seems the case, TDCAU has nearly 3 times as many streams as the second most streamed song on that album (Earth Song).

So those are my guesses. It's pretty cheap here in NZ tbh. I've seen it in a number of different store brands for $12.99NZD ($9.37USD) on CD, even in a 2 for $20 promotion at one store. Sounds like a good price point for me tbh.

Last edited:
bpi music ?@bpi_music 2h2 hours ago
'Number Ones' by the late @michaeljackson has gone 8x Platinum #bpiAwards

The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ · 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden

UK Official Album Chart

#48 Number Ones
#79 Thriller
#91 The Essential michael Jackson

Official Charts ‏@officialcharts · 41 Min.vor 41 Minuten

SHAMONE! @MichaelJackson's Number Ones returns to the Official Albums Chart Top 40 this week http://bit.ly/2b3fgbO

Official Charts ‏@officialcharts · 4 Std.Vor 4 Stunden

.@michaeljackson's Man in the Mirror had 21 years to reflect on why it missed the Top 20… http://bit.ly/2aLv5qw

The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ · 39 Min.Vor 39 Minuten

#FunFact UK Top 40 Radio Artists

#34 Michael Jackson (2662 plays in the last 30 days)

The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ · 2 Std.Vor 2 Stunden

Official UK Albums Chart Top 100

#27 Number Ones Michael Jackson
#76 The Essential Michael Jackson

USA
Best selling catalog albums of 2016
(week 34)

Rank - Estimated 2016 Sales - TITLE - Artist ( Estimated Total Sales (m) )

#14 - 110,000 - OFF THE WALL - Michael Jackson ( 2.32 )

#23 - 93,000 - BAD - Michael Jackson ( 2.11 )

#25 - 83,000 - THRILLER - Michael Jackson ( 6.69 )

#35 - 74,000 - THE ESSENTIAL - Michael Jackson ( 2.52 )

#37 - 70,000 - NUMBER ONES - Michael Jackson ( 5.32 )

= 430,000 sold so far this year Thanks Justtheothernight

USA
Best selling catalog albums of 2016
(week 34)

Rank - Estimated 2016 Sales - TITLE - Artist ( Estimated Total Sales (m) )

#14 - 110,000 - OFF THE WALL - Michael Jackson ( 2.32 )

#23 - 93,000 - BAD - Michael Jackson ( 2.11 )

#25 - 83,000 - THRILLER - Michael Jackson ( 6.69 )

#35 - 74,000 - THE ESSENTIAL - Michael Jackson ( 2.52 )

#37 - 70,000 - NUMBER ONES - Michael Jackson ( 5.32 )

= 430,000 sold so far this year Thanks Justtheothernight

It's official.
Michael is the King of longevity.
No other solo artist from Michael's time or before has it like King Michael.
Whenever I come in this thread after a new stat has been posted I get slayed everytime.

Truly only the Beatles can compare, and they're a whole got damn band.
I bet his hologram could sell out stadiums.

What kind of an untouchable, top tier, multi-talented legend is my fave.:boohoo

Last edited:
The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ · 3 Std.Vor 3 Stunden

Official UK Music Video Chart Top 50

#13 Moonwalker
#44 Michael Jackson This Is It

The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ · 3 Std.Vor 3 Stunden

#54 Number Ones
#94 The Essential Michael Jackson

USA

Best Selling Albums Of 2016 Week 36

#84 - 115,000 - Off The Wall Michael Jackson

Best selling albums of the year so far:

Billboard 200 YTD 2016 Week 43

Rank - Estimated SPS - Title Artist

#181 - 132,000 - Thriller Michael Jackson
#183 - 131,000 - Bad Michael Jackson
#200 - 117,000 - The Essential - Michael Jackson

Source oldbloke

Billboard 200

The Essential Michael Jackson

RE-ENTRY
This Week: 142
Total weeks: 172

USA
Best selling albums of 2016
Week 37

#84 - 118,000 - Off the wall

#117 - 99,000 - Bad

#131 - 88,000 - Thriller

#154 - 79,000 - The Essential

#169 - 73,000 - Number Ones

Source oldbloke

Thanks Justtheothernight & Erika23

USA
Week 37

#117 - 99,000 - Bad

#131 - 88,000 - Thriller

Source oldbloke

Glad The Essential is outselling Number Ones!

It's such a shame that there are so many MJ Greatest Hits.

If he just had one or two (1979-1990) & (1991-2001) they would be the best sellers ever, like Queen.

USA

Best Selling Albums Of 2016 Week 36

#84 - 115,000 - Off The Wall Michael Jackson

Best selling albums of the year so far:

Billboard 200 YTD 2016 Week 43

Rank - Estimated SPS - Title Artist

#181 - 132,000 - Thriller Michael Jackson
#183 - 131,000 - Bad Michael Jackson
#200 - 117,000 - The Essential - Michael Jackson

Source oldbloke

USA
Week 37

#117 - 99,000 - Bad

#131 - 88,000 - Thriller

Source oldbloke

Can anyone explain the difference between the lists? The ones with week 36-37 and the one with week 43?

Can anyone explain the difference between the lists? The ones with week 36-37 and the one with week 43?

Besdides the different weeks the first contains streaming (that's what SPS means), de second is just pure sales.

It makes me sad that Number Ones and The Essential have spent more weeks on Billboard 200 than Bad, Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible. That's why I'm not a fan of these greatest hits compilation because they affect the sales of studio albums. I would prefer that people buy the studio albums instead of the greatest hits albums.

It makes me sad that Number Ones and The Essential have spent more weeks on Billboard 200 than Bad, Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible. That's why I'm not a fan of these greatest hits compilation because they affect the sales of studio albums. I would prefer that people buy the studio albums instead of the greatest hits albums.

For most classic artists you will only find a GH album on the charts (if any of their albums chart), so the fact MJ has three studio albums regularly chart - besides two GH albums - makes me think we don't have any reason to complain.

For most classic artists you will only find a GH album on the charts (if any of their albums chart), so the fact MJ has three studio albums regularly chart - besides two GH albums - makes me think we don't have any reason to complain.

Yeah exactly, in the UK for example Queen and ABBA have two of the best selling albums of all time but none of their studio albums feature.

So Thriller re-enters the Billboard 200 for it's 275th week on the chart. It makes me sad that MJ's main albums have spent so little time on the main chart. Off The wall has only 170 something weeks, Bad only 166 weeks, Dangerous only 119, HIStory only 36 and Invincible only 26 or something. I sometimes wish MJ had digital downloading and internet during his time.

So Thriller re-enters the Billboard 200 for it's 275th week on the chart. It makes me sad that MJ's main albums have spent so little time on the main chart. Off The wall has only 170 something weeks, Bad only 166 weeks, Dangerous only 119, HIStory only 36 and Invincible only 26 or something. I sometimes wish MJ had digital downloading and internet during his time.

With the best selling album of all times that still regularly charts (along with at 2-3 other MJ albums) there is no reason to be "sad". The chart peformances of MJ's albums are fantastic. You do not see any other classic artist with regularly at least 2-3 studio albums on the charts - all the while also having two GH albums on the charts regularly. It is only Michael. But if you still want to be unsatisfied and sad, well that's is your choice. I guess.

Last edited:
The Best of Internet ‏@TheBestofMJJ · 5 Std.vor 5 Stunden

#60 The Essential Michael Jackson

Official UK Music Video Chart Top 50

#22 Moonnwalker

The Essential up to 57
Thriller (single) re-entry at 62

...UK

So Thriller the song enters the charts once again like it does every year during the Halloween season. I really wish songs like Ghosts would also get more attention as it's a better song than Thriller imo. As we know that the Estate are planning on doing Thriller 35 during Halloween next year. I hope they release Threatened as a single next year for T35 as that's another song that is better than Thriller and deserves some attention.

So Thriller the song enters the charts once again like it does every year during the Halloween season. I really wish songs like Ghosts would also get more attention as it's a better song than Thriller imo. As we know that the Estate are planning on doing Thriller 35 during Halloween next year. I hope they release Threatened as a single next year for T35 as that's another song that is better than Thriller and deserves some attention.

Yes, it makes full sense to celebrate Thriller 35 by releasing a song from Invincible!

Threatened is no where near better than thriller! That is all I will say

Back