The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Real talk, hypothetically, what are the chances of MJ ever being Number 1 on Spotify ever? Is it at all possible?

No, I do not believe that is realistic for an artist that has been dead for 15 years. - Not even MJ.

An artist that is alive, promoting, touring, making new music etc. will always generate more intrest and more views. More radioplay, promotion etc.

So MJ at no. 1 on Spotify is not realsitic IMO - not even the weeks following the Michael biopic.

@AkhilJaxxn

"The Essential Michael Jackson" album has reached its 150th week run in the U.K albums chart. This is the fifth Michael Jackson album to reach this milestone. With this Jackson is now tallied with Taylor Swift, who has most albums over 150 weeks in the U.K official albums chart."

GLka3DYXsAA1xAf

Loads of new Michael Jackson certifications in Canada, finally!:love:

- Bad (Song): Double Platinum
- PYT: Double Platinum
- Human Nature: Platinum
- Thriller: 6X Platinum
- The Girl Is Mine: Gold
- WBSS: Platinum
- Rock With You: Double Platinum
- DSTYGE: 3X Platinum
- Dirty Diana: Platinum
- Man In The Mirror: 3X Platinum
- LNFSG: Double Platinum
- Hold My Hand: Platinum
- You Rock My World: Platinum
- TDCAU: Platinum
- Earth Song: Gold
- Will You Be There: Gold
- Heal The World: Gold
- IJCSLY: Gold
- TWYMMF: 3X Platinum

Believe it or not but the second Michael Jackson posthumous album ‘Xscape’ turned 10 this week!

It was released on May 9, 2014 with two official singles, “Love Never Felt So Good” and “A Place With No Name” and came in two versions, standard and deluxe. It was announced on March 31 produced by Timbaland and LA Reid.

Sony and the Estate went all out for this one with partnerships such as with Sony Xperia Z2, a hologram performance on Billboard Music Awards of “Slave To The Rhythm” and a video for “A Place With No Name” sponsored by Jeep and premiered on X formerly “Twitter”.

For fans at the time, it was a very exciting time with many events around the world. The Estate also launched different actions with the fans such as competition to win a “Xscape Plaque” for the most original project to promote the album. Chinese fan club won with a fan party. Promotion wise, Michael was everywhere! On Billboards, Magazines, buses, on the radio and TV ads.

And for us at MJVibe, we went also all in! We teamed up with HMV Oxford street to do an album launch, we created a promotional video for the album which was well received by the fans. You can watch the video below:

The album was #1 in its first week of release in worldwide sales. Xscape debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 and number one on the Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart in the United States. The album was preceded by the release of its lead single, “Love Never Felt So Good”, which includes a newly recorded version featuring Justin Timberlake. It reached number nine on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US, giving Michael Jackson his first posthumous top ten and his first since “You Rock My World” in 2001. Additionally, “Love Never Felt So Good” became Michael’s highest charting single on the Hot 100 since his final number one, “You Are Not Alone”, in 1995. A second single, “A Place with No Name”, was released later that year. Xscape received generally positive reviews and was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

Happy Anniversary Xscape!

All of that promotion didn't pay off with only 1 hit single and the album failing to reach nr 1 where it matters most (US). So imo it is no wonder the Estate didn't continue this path for Michael's future.

All of that promotion didn't pay off with only 1 hit single and the album failing to reach nr 1 where it matters most (US). So imo it is no wonder the Estate didn't continue this path for Michael's future.
I think it did. It narrowly missed number 1 in the US. Wasn't it the most streamed album at the time? Xscape was a success worldwide and it's an album that endures, just a little away from reaching one billion on Spotify. If a commercial project fails to live up to expectations then it was Bad 25.

Edit:

King Of Pop On Spotify
@MJJSpotify2015
·
42m

"Xscape" was released 10 years ago today "May 9, 2014". The album hit #1 in Worldwide sales and dominated the charts, going #1 instantly. It's one of the best-selling and highest charting albums after death by an artist ever made. #KingOfPop #MichaelJackson

Last edited:
@Annita

The numbers look good but to be honest it just came and went without much fuzz in my head. I didn’t even realize a place with no name was the second single until I read it here.
It was more successful than Invincible though especially in the long run. I also think LNFSG had a bigger impact than YRMW

@Annita

The numbers look good but to be honest it just came and went without much fuzz in my head. I didn’t even realize a place with no name was the second single until I read it here.
It was more successful than Invincible though especially in the long run. I also think LNFSG had a bigger impact than YRMW
They started off strong but they exhausted all the momentum.

Number 1 in the US was the Black Keys fault.

Back