The origin of 'Shamone' Revealed?

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
I didn't hear "shamone" at all. She's just assuming Michael took it from her. With all the words MJ "mispronounced" in his songs (hence all those "misheard lyrics" threads), I doubt it.

As I always say: you people can go the "extra mile" sometimes, can't you? Someone asked her the origin of the word, she explained and said it was "alright". C'mon, relax, stop attacking everyone these days... She's not saying "OMG I'm mad at it, I want money now that he's dead"...

Read this carefully:
That's what she said.

"Alright", people, "alright".
Thank you for saying this. People need to realize that every time someone mentions MJ it's not an attack or an attempt to get money. There is such a knee-jerk reaction sometimes and it makes the fans look bad.

As I always say: you people can go the "extra mile" sometimes, can't you? Someone asked her the origin of the word, she explained and said it was "alright". C'mon, relax, stop attacking everyone these days... She's not saying "OMG I'm mad at it, I want money now that he's dead"...

Read this carefully:
That's what she said.

"Alright", people, "alright".

The bitterness here is overwhelming. Very sad.

The article was interesting to read. Simple. End of. Does it really require deep analysis and accompanying anger

Oh please, Mavis Staples is not an attention seeking gold digger! She's a music legend. They asked her about it and she gave her story. That's it

She's not trying to get attention for it and she's not trying to get cash, because she doesn't need it.

If you wanna see attention seeking gold diggers, there's David Gest, Arnold Klien, Mark Lester, Corey Feldman, Leonard Rowe, and others...

Thank you for saying this. People need to realize that every time someone mentions MJ it's not an attack or an attempt to get money. There is such a knee-jerk reaction sometimes and it makes the fans look bad.

Thank you for those comments, I couldn't agree more. Some fans manage to make everything appear sinister. There was nothing to get upset over in that interview.

Some of you are so rude, nasty, and bitter. Just know. Michael can now see and hear everything you do and say. Do you think you are making him proud? Really... Log off your computer, go outside, and find something productive to do with your life instead of talking crap about others.

Yeah yeah, you're right, Michael is checking this board all the time from up there.:smilerolleyes:

^^^It's not about whether or not MJ is checking the board or not. Comments full of hatred should not be stopped because of someone else. Misguided comments full of hate should be stopped just because of what it does to you personally.

Mavis does say Shamone in the song. She has plenty of her own money. She did not just come on the scene. She has been around for decades. She is proud of MJ and I think she also feels like she contributed to something big. I think that is compensation enough for her.

Believe it or nor MJ was influenced by many people. Whether directly or inadvertently. Believe it or not Mj has many contemporaries that he borrowed from. That is one of the things that made hims so great. He didn't live in the music world all to himself, but he looked for opportunity in everything. yes he made things his trademark, but being a genuis doesn't mean you originate everything but can take something and make it all your own and appealing to so many across the masses that any trace of it before you came along is virtually erased.

I had heard this song many times, but when she mentioned the part, I immediately knew what she was talking about. That's so funny.

Last edited:
this is nothing new. Ms. Staples talked about this in 1987 and said she did not mind and was glad the young people like MJ was inflence.

^^^it's not about whether or not mj is checking the board or not. Comments full of hatred should not be stopped because of someone else. Misguided comments full of hate should be stopped just because of what it does to you personally.

Mavis does say shamone in the song. She has plenty of her own money. She did not just come on the scene. She has been around for decades. She is proud of mj and i think she also feels like she contributed to something big. I think that is compensation enough for her.

Believe it or nor mj was influenced by many people. Whether directly or inadvertently. Believe it or not mj has many contemporaries that he borrowed from. That is one of the things that made hims so great. He didn't live in the music world all to himself, but he looked for opportunity in everything. Yes he made things his trademark, but being a genuis doesn't mean you originate everything but can take something and make it all your own and appealing to so many across the masses that any trace of it before you came along is virtually erased.

I had heard this song many times, but when she mentioned the part, i immediately knew what she was talking about. That's so funny.
thank you!!

I didn't hear "shamone" at all. She's just assuming Michael took it from her. With all the words MJ "mispronounced" in his songs (hence all those "misheard lyrics" threads), I doubt it.
She was the FIRST to use it. I been around to know that. The song she does it in is "I'll take you there".

^^^It's not about whether or not MJ is checking the board or not. Comments full of hatred should not be stopped because of someone else. Misguided comments full of hate should be stopped just because of what it does to you personally.

Mavis does say Shamone in the song. She has plenty of her own money. She did not just come on the scene. She has been around for decades. She is proud of MJ and I think she also feels like she contributed to something big. I think that is compensation enough for her.

Believe it or nor MJ was influenced by many people. Whether directly or inadvertently. Believe it or not Mj has many contemporaries that he borrowed from. That is one of the things that made hims so great. He didn't live in the music world all to himself, but he looked for opportunity in everything. yes he made things his trademark, but being a genuis doesn't mean you originate everything but can take something and make it all your own and appealing to so many across the masses that any trace of it before you came along is virtually erased.

I had heard this song many times, but when she mentioned the part, I immediately knew what she was talking about. That's so funny.

Thanks for this!

I remember, one day I was having a discussion with my girlfriend Diana back in the 80s in the disco bar. I turned to her and said:

"I wanna be startin' somethin' with you." She answered: "We're just good friends."

But I insisted and said: "Please baby, be mine, I just can't stop loving you! You are the lady in my life, I can't help it you know, it's human nature."

She said: "The way you make me feel is bad, so why don't you just beat it!"

I was upset and said: You dirty Diana! You're so dangerous. First you ask me for one more chance, then you keep it in the closet and fly away like butterflies. You left me speechless and all I could do was cry. But, anyway I will still keep the faith."

She said: "Leave me alone, if you don't walk away I'll scream!"

I said: "Ok, ok, don't shout, I'll go away, but if you ever need me, you know that I'll be there for you."

Now, after listening to some Michael Jackson songs, I wonder if MJ didn't hear our conversation and breech the copyright of my words. Who do I sue and where do I get paid? I need your advice. Shamone tell me!

I remember, one day I was having a discussion with my girlfriend Diana back in the 80s in the disco bar. I turned to her and said:

"I wanna be startin' somethin' with you." She answered: "We're just good friends."

But I insisted and said: "Please baby, be mine, I just can't stop loving you! You are the lady in my life, I can't help it you know, it's human nature."

She said: "The way you make me feel is bad, so why don't you just beat it!"

I was upset and said: You dirty Diana! You're so dangerous. First you ask me for one more chance, then you keep it in the closet and fly away like butterflies. You left me speechless and all I could do was cry. But, anyway I will still keep the faith."

She said: "Leave me alone, if you don't walk away I'll scream!"

I said: "Ok, ok, don't shout, I'll go away, but if you ever need me, you know that I'll be there for you."

Now, after listening to some Michael Jackson songs, I wonder if MJ didn't hear our conversation and breech the copyright of my words. Who do I sue and where do I get paid? I need your advice. Shamone tell me!

Goodness! Get it together, or leave it alone. Anything for Money. You've got no case. Better off keeping it in the closet, if ya ask me. But tell me this, was this girl a superfly sister? Sounds like a heartbreaker.

Michael was a HUGE Staples fan when he was growing up. I'm sure he was influenced...I'm also sure that she didn't just bring this up, she was asked and so she answered. EVERYONE isn't out to get Michael, ya know..sheesh. She was joking!

I always thought he got it from Mavis. Listen to the song and you can easily hear it.

this isn't about Mavis Staples. it's about the media always looking for a negative about Michael Jackson. why not take the watchful eye and aim it at the media, instead of at fellow fans.

the article..as most articles, when reminiscing about legends, has no probing or negative leaning questions or statements about any artist.EXCEPT Michael Jackson, out of envy. on a regular basis. MJ fans are entitled to get tired of it. he's achieved much, and the media can't live with it. he's the King, and the media can't live with it. it's nice what Mavis sung, but most MJ fans see it as a Michaelism. that's just how it is. if we want to be semantical about it, and call on the copyright office, we can always say Mavis got him back, by naming a new song 'You Are Not Alone.' but hey..titles don't count, and it's an R Kelly song, but there is the sentiment, anyway..hmm? i know minimizing what happened to MJ is a sport, at times...

Last edited:
this isn't about Mavis Staples. it's about the media always looking for a negative about Michael Jackson. why not take the watchful eye and aim it at the media, instead of at fellow fans.

the article..as most articles, when reminiscing about legends, has no probing or negative leaning questions or statements about any artist.EXCEPT Michael Jackson, out of envy. on a regular basis. MJ fans are entitled to get tired of it. he's achieved much, and the media can't live with it. he's the King, and the media can't live with it. it's nice what Mavis sung, but most MJ fans see it as a Michaelism. that's just how it is. if we want to be semantical about it, and call on the copyright office, we can always say Mavis got him back, by naming a new song 'You Are Not Alone.' but hey..titles don't count, and it's an R Kelly song, but there is the sentiment, anyway..hmm? i know minimizing what happened to MJ is a sport, at times...

I agree with you. Almost always, the media twisted anything related to Michael. Again, the media is hinting Michael was not original in this article. In the Quincy Jones article posted in another thread, the media, again trying to diminish Michael's genius by describing Quincy Jones as the "mastermind" behind Thriller. I recognize Quincy's contribution in Thriller, but the force behind Thriller is none other than Michael Jackson. The meida is trying to portray Michael as an apprentice who followed Quincy's directions. The media put the quote "I can handle Michael" on the headline, which is totally not necessary.

Sometimes, it's not the one who made the comments who like to discredit Michael, it's the media.

And if you wanna know where the "he-he" came from, listen to Stevie wonder's song "maybe your baby".

It didn't come from there. At least Michael and his brothers had done it before that already..

It didn't come from there. At least Michael and his brothers had done it before that already..

The song came out in 1974. Michael was not "hee-heeing" before 1978 or 79...but who cares. According to most people on here, Michael invented the sky.

I bet there are loads of singers who use "hee hee" in their songs. None of them made it their trademark like MJ did though.

Can you name one? And I didn't say it wasn't his trademark, just that he was probably inspired...

I've never really understood the whole "shamone" thing... where does MJ even say that in any of his songs? Is it in Bad? I can't remember...

The Staple Singers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=772YR4_rOBU

1:29 "Shamone now...play on it.. play on it"...

MJ's Bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b8k65r7hc4

0:35 "Shamone...Shamone...Lay it on me"...

It's similar. Maybe MJ was inspired by the Staple Singers. Could have been without intention too. But if it was with intention I am sure MJ would have said so if someone would have asked him about it. Like I said it the Ne-Yo thread, a lot of MJ's dancing and video ideas were inspired by Fred Astaire, James Brown, the old MGM movies, etc. and Michael often said himself too how much he admired the "old greats".

And if that singer noticed it's something she did too and feels honored, where's the problem? If she'd start asking for MONEY for that little similarity, THAT would be crazy...but so far it's okay. No big deal. :)

Last edited:
And if you wanna know where the "he-he" came from, listen to Stevie wonder's song "maybe your baby".

WHOOOAAAAA, he sounds just like mike! or should i say, mike sounds just like stevie!!! this is awesome!! Good find pianoman......I love to see where Mike was inspired!

PS
The song is incredible, I just bought the album.....lol.

Yes i always felt what she was saying and even growing up i remeber my sister saying Michael got those saying from her like u can tell MJ roots came from listening to old school singers if u listen to some of the staple singers songs u can hear that shamone, heard me alright MJ used that in bad some people just need to learn there history to me she is not making a big deal out of it just giving that history on where it came from. MJ use mama say mama si from this old song this verse goes let get this party started right. any way this is the reason i love MJ so much he repeated history for the young and old glad I am a 80's baby

some writting are not aware of this, i can tell..

In singing there are alot of tricks to help the flow of the song by THE WAY things are sung.. there are always letters pronounced differently and/or taken out/put in to help the flow of the song to be smoother or ruffer..

For example letters with an ubrupt sound **** K,T,P are often replaced with V,N,M,J,L for a smoother transition into words.. so a sound like 'Come on' would be an sound that would make a complete seperation from before the C and after the C.. a "k" sound.. where as if you use a 'Sh" sound it transitions from the previous line to the next flewently as it sounds clearer while recorded.. if you notice Mike does not say "shamone" that often LIVE.. "K" sounds are very harsh on the mic while in the studio, its an uncomfertable sound recorded at times depending on the agression of the sound..

K,T's, etc are usually used in rhythmic songs and/or sections and replaced when it should be smoother.. Often in a studio they would have a vocalist say "I fold you" instead of " I told you" so it would sound smooth and there wont be a harsh "t" sound in the recording.. also as side note it would lower the chance of spit sounds hitting the mic and getting on the recording

Also often letters are taken out or put in.. for example in "i'll be there" Michael never actually sings.. "If you should ever find SOMEONE knew" he sings "if you should ever find Sowon new" the M sound is taken out and replaced with a 'w' sound.. these type of things are done ALL THE TIME in singing.. I should say more so when artists knew what they were doing. true recording vocalist do it ALL the time.. Stevie wonder, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, I mean like EVERYONE.. lol!

I could probably look up so many songs that have letters exchanged for the sound of the word, all the time it happens.. but the reason is for the clearity on the recording.

Last edited:
I also wanted to add in that letters are also used often in parts of a song to create a rhythemic repition on its own.. our ears are aware of the rhythems without our brains really focusing on them.. for example..

Listen to this human nature from .10-.31 how often you here an 'S' sound.. if you were able to here just the 'S' sounds alone it would create a rhythem.. then the next section he switches to 'T' sounds from .32-.51 even when he says "four WALLS wont hold me tonight" he throws in an upgrupt sound to create that "t" sounding effect.. i mean it will continue too when he starts singing the next section of "Reaching out" that whole little section has "R" sounds all throughout, and so on.. its like this in most of his music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki5_2-qBSTg..

much more thought goes into a production then some people think..

More obviously then actuall letters, the way things are sung in rhythem to create a sound, like in dirty Diana 2:40 -2:55 every 11th and 12th sylable has a rough sound. " again to create a pattern.. "she said I have to go home cuz i'm real TI-RED you see.. But I hate sleeping alone why don't you COME WITH me" and so on until the strings come in and he gets agressive through the whole vocal section.. listen I love it :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC4cTYTl29M

Last edited:
Well, you deserve rep points for just taking the time to explain all of that.
It reminds me of a convo I had with my mom about artists saying "choo" instead of "you". But that was in the form of criticism. I hate that. And I hate when I can't hear that word pronounced correctly. It is another of my idiosyncrasies.

^ I appreciate that you took the notice of the time it took.. usually gets overlooked lol

^ I appreciate that you took the notice of the time it took.. usually gets overlooked lol

Thank you so much for explaining this. I hope all read it. It should help people speak/write about this topic more intelligently. I love learning new things.

Back