The small moments you love

I love the robot move Mike does in the video for Jam at around 2.35. He does it a lot live but executed and filmed really well here
Mm, a heart-stopping moment. Just that one little bit, it's got everything. The lighting, the camera angles, the editing, the mood, the perfect outfit, Michael's dancing, obvs. A brilliant moment captured forever. Wonderful. 😲

I love the robot move Mike does in the video for Jam at around 2.35. He does it a lot live but executed and filmed really well here

idk if you mean this one, but this is one of my favorite moves

king of lock(ing) 🤭

f645adf9cdb89dafd6a04f09eadf05abf3a5eaf1.gif

7af0832441d8e99fee1720bd772bf448481d2b2e.gif

🥰

Small moments related to MJ I like is in his songs.

1. When he sings with his deep voice the parts in WBSS:
-"They said she had a breakdown"
-"Sayin' you just want to be startin' somethin'"

Also, I like the moment the song starts and when you hear MJ's voice blended in all the instruments: tada-tada-tam, tada-tada-tam

2. Ad-libs on Billie Jean 12"

3. Extra verse and ad-libs on the full version of The Lady In My Life

4. Extra verse and instrumental on Smooth Criminal in the short film + heartbeat in the album version.

5. No refrain on Thriller video when expected + instrumental arranged for the dance choreography in the Thriller video.

6. Little funny instrument at the very end of TWYMMF while fading out: trri-trri-trri

7. Mix of angry voice, sobs, and electric guitar and soft cello melody on Dirty Diana

8. The Jacksons chorus on Blame It On The Boogie.

There are many more such moments, but I will spare you the length of my list.

Exact starting moment on album version: 4min50sec.
Yeah, I caught it. Odd little moment, isn't it?

Before today, and excluding the TII version, I couldn't tell you when was the last time I listened to this one. Not one of my faves. I do vaguely remember this tiny little bit and thought it was just some random percussion or ... I dunno, actually! What is that thing? It is really intriguing. This is the kind of thing I would love to know. Dunno if I'd want this type of info on liner notes but I like the idea of being able to find out stuff like this somehow, from somewhere.

Yeah, I caught it. Odd little moment, isn't it?

Before today, and excluding the TII version, I couldn't tell you when was the last time I listened to this one. Not one of my faves. I do vaguely remember this tiny little bit and thought it was just some random percussion or ... I dunno, actually! What is that thing? It is really intriguing. This is the kind of thing I would love to know. Dunno if I'd want this type of info on liner notes but I like the idea of being able to find out stuff like this somehow, from somewhere.
In order to find it out, you need multitracks audio, isolate every single layer except that one.

Off thread but related to the discussion above, I watched this last night and it was wonderful! I love Chris Liepe's videos about MJ. Also TWYMMF is definitely one of my favorite songs ever, so this was a real treat :)

Well, you got me listening to TWYMMF which doesn't usually happen.
Mm, the TII version! Yes, please!

Fave small moment?
Approx 3m 38s - "One more time ..." - especially the way he says the word 'more'
Approx 3m 43s - "That's why we rehearse ... it's OK, OK" - followed by devastating smile

OK, that was 2 small moments, lol. :D

The ankle breaker dance. Underappreciated. Maybe because alot of people don't know the name of it. But when u look it up you'll know exactly what I'm talking about lol
I know what you mean. There's a video compilation - although I think it's incomplete since it doesn't have my fave example. Haven't watched that thing in a while but, IIRC, most of the examples used are from BJ. The one I'm thinking of is HWT / gold pants so not from BJ. There's a gif I posted, I'll try to find it.

Watching him do this move is fascinating. Apart from the HWT one, my other fave would be TII / BJ.

the last seconds of Killing Me Softly, the "with his song" I just so amazing, I rewatched that part so many times, I love it!
I'm sad that he immediately starts talking after that part in the original video version.

Today is all about the slow tempo stuff. This is magical. :)

I like the way he ends SIM live, where he descends on the toaster and throws up the peace sign.

And the Billie Jean moves after he starts singing live before/right around the time he puts the mic up. He does all sorts of groove moves.

I've been watching a lot of the Bad Tour shows lately, one thing I've noticed is how great Michael was at taking the microphone off the stand.

It's such a small unnoticeable thing, but he always does it effortlessly (aside from Bucharest Billie Jean 1992) and has so much swagger when he does. It looks like second nature. It just oozed confidence

I've been watching a lot of the Bad Tour shows lately, one thing I've noticed is how great Michael was at taking the microphone off the stand.

It's such a small unnoticeable thing,
Except it isn't! :)

It's one of my top fave things. I love watching a singer dealing with the mike. I almost miss the old-style mikes with a long lead. Watching a singer manipulate that, just fab! And if they are really good, they can actually do stuff with it. Like a rock singer might twirl it around. But even the simpler stuff, I love all of it. Watching Michael move the mike from one hand to the other - omg!

but he always does it effortlessly
That's it. Just looks amazing, imo. The cool, casual effortlessness of it.

and has so much swagger when he does.
It's def part of his swagger.

It looks like second nature. It just oozed confidence
I guess since he started so young it did become second nature. But it doesn't dilute the 'cool' factor at all. I don't think I have a fave moment. Just all of it!

Sorry to keep banging on about this but I didn't pay enough attention to this specific bit. Yes, I love the way he handles the mike generally. He is a master at it. But this specific thing, the exact moment he takes the mike off the stand? It is way beyond 'swagger', imo. I don't have a word for it. All I can say is, the number of times I've done a rewind just to watch him remove the mike.

It's the way he can do it mid-performance - which sounds ridiculous, I know. He's been doing it since he was a kid. Of course he can do it mid-performance, lol. But he def has ... um, do you know what? I'd better stop. This is going to turn into an essay, I can feel it. :ROFLMAO:

The way he does it in Things I Do For You ... 😲

Back