The Will.i.am tracks [Discussion]

Re: The Will.I.Am Tracks

The entire premise of I'm Still the King probably wouldn't have gone over well with the public. Dedicating an entire song to how you're the King of Pop?

Where does it say that this song is a dedication of how he is the king of pop? Rightfully so with all the people getting influenced by MJ i would have loved if he addressed that, "even though you are great i'm still the king of this!" If the song is good the public would have loved it regardless. That's why Beyonce can call herself Queen B on songs and say " This is my shit, bow down B**ches" and R kelly can say "I'm The World's Greatest"

Besides he said he wanted to feature Justin, Usher etc. So I bet we don't know the entire context :)

While you can't trust Wikipedia when it comes to MJ songs, it does list an interesting source: It seems that session vocalist Kim Chandler recorded backing vocals for "He Who Makes The Sky Gray".
Her official website doesn't mention any songtitles, but says "Backing choir on an unreleased track".

http://www.kimchandler.com/backing-vocalist/

Having a backing choir, that song is presumably rather finished :)

The song is He Who Makes the Sky Gray. The writers of For the Record emailed her and she specified that.

There was an Interview where will.i.am said he wanted to release a song (think it was I'm Dreaming) on his album but the estate didn't allow it ;)

Think the Interview was with mjbeats but i'm not sure... sry

Fly Girl is Will's song, released in 2007, on his own album.

Yes, you're right! I listened to it yesterday, too bad Michael didn't record vocals for that song, but i assume that it wasn't the right type of song for MJ's Comeback album.

Last edited:

They recorded for the first time together in September 2006 in Ireland. They continued work throughout 2007 and 2008 in various locations, most notably Las Vegas. Not sure what songs were recorded where.
Man, almost 3 years! How come they rarely recorded during those sessions? I know that Michael wasn't the same Michael as in the BAD-era anymore, and that he was recovering from the trial, but c'mon!, there have to be atleast one complete song! ;-(

Man, almost 3 years! How come they rarely recorded during those sessions? I know that Michael wasn't the same Michael as in the BAD-era anymore, and that he was recovering from the trial, but c'mon!, there have to be atleast one complete song! ;-(

Don't worry there are atleast 3 finished songs from those sessions along with some more unfinished. Btw we don't know if MJ did or didn't record vocals for Fly Girl.

There are more than one complete song. They worked on 6 songs together + 1 John Legend track. Some fans say there are 4 complete songs but no one knows for sure.

Don't worry there are atleast 3 finished songs from those sessions along with some more unfinished. Btw we don't know if MJ did or didn't record vocals for Fly Girl.

He didn't. That was will.i.am song. Do you really think that MJ would allow them to record his new song from his "comeback" album. That song was never even considered for MJ album in my opinion. He just played them one of his songs for the interview purposes.

He didn't. That was will.i.am song. Do you really think that MJ would allow them to record his new song from his "comeback" album. That song was never even considered for MJ album in my opinion. He just played them one of his songs for the interview purposes.

Well the fact is that you don't know, none of us do unless someone was with them in the studio that can corroborate their story. He could easily have recorded it (or recorder parts of it e.g a chorus or a verse) but later decided to give it to Will, as he did with Satisfy You for Bryan Loren and Joy for Blackstreet or even Alright Now for Ralph Tresvant. But yeah my point is we don't know what went down in those sessions and what was or was not recorded unless someone present in the sessions sheds light on the matter, end of story.

Last edited:
The Will.I.Am Tracks

Wasn't the stuff they worked on partially for thriller 25 too? I think MJ was busy picking himself up from the trial in my opinion for most of that time. He might have been more interested in just working on music ( like just the music part of it - producing, experimenting - not so much vocals) because it was comfortable and not necessarily to release anything (just yet but eventually). That's the impression I got from the footage geraldo shot with those two. Also weren't they working on "beautiful girl" too?

Well the fact is that you don't know, none of us do unless someone was with them in the studio that can corroborate their story. He could easily have recorded it (or recorder parts of it e.g a chorus or a verse) but later decided to give it to Will, as he did with Satisfy You for Bryan Loren and Joy for Blackstreet or even Alright Now for Ralph Tresvant. But yeah my point is we don't know what went down in those sessions and what was or was not recorded unless someone present in the sessions sheds light on the matter, end of story.

Ok, maybe Will presented it to him as possible track for his album - but MJ did not record it. As we all now there are 6 will.i.am songs:

1. Can You...
2. I Will Miss You
3. If We Still Love
4. I'm Dreamin'
5. Still The King
6. The Future

No Fly Girl. Unless will.i.am re-used the instrumental beat from one of those songs and created Fly Girl for his album.

Wasn't the stuff they worked on partially for thriller 25 too? I think MJ was busy picking himself up from the trial in my opinion for most of that time. He might have been more interested in just working on music ( like just the music part of it - producing, experimenting - not so much vocals) because it was comfortable and not necessarily to release anything (just yet but eventually). That's the impression I got from the footage geraldo shot with those two. Also weren't they working on "beautiful girl" too?

That's not will.i.am sessions. Geraldo was filming a session with Michael Durham Prince, Brad Buxer and Randy Jackson at Neverland. That was 2005, before the trial ended.

MJ started to work with will.i.am in Ireland (September, 2006) after he came back from Bahrein (where he also recorded some songs). After that they worked again several times in Las Vegas and at will.i.am's house. MJ did record his vocals for the new songs - we know that because Will said it. And we know those vocals are not vocals for Thriller 25 because only Wanna Be Startin' Something had new vocals and those vocals were recorded at Cascios. After Thriller 25 was released, MJ continued to work with will.i.am on the songs in 2008.

That's not will.i.am sessions. Geraldo was filming a session with Michael Durham Prince, Brad Buxer and Randy Jackson at Neverland. That was 2005, before the trial ended.

MJ started to work with will.i.am in Ireland (September, 2006) after he came back from Bahrein (where he also recorded some songs). After that they worked again several times in Las Vegas and at will.i.am's house. MJ did record his vocals for the new songs - we know that because Will said it. And we know those vocals are not vocals for Thriller 25 because only Wanna Be Startin' Something had new vocals and those vocals were recorded at Cascios. After Thriller 25 was released, MJ continued to work with will.i.am on the songs in 2008.

Right it wasn't geraldo I'm thinking of but access Hollywood.

Right it wasn't geraldo I'm thinking of but access Hollywood.

Yeah, it was Access Hollywood with Billy Bush and it was September, 2006 in Ireland. After that they worked numerous times together over the period of 2 years. Plenty of time for MJ to record vocals for 6 songs (maybe even for John Legend song). It doesn't have to be full vocals, just that it's in releasable state.

Sure but just a thought - do we know the frequency of their collaboration over those 2 years or are we just assuming they worked together day in and day out for 2 years? I just think MJ might have been a bit more casual during that time.

Sure but just a thought - do we know the frequency of their collaboration over those 2 years or are we just assuming they worked together day in and day out for 2 years? I just think MJ might have been a bit more casual during that time.

Of course not day in and day out for 2 years. Maybe a week or two now and then. But MJ could have wrote the lyrics at his home and when they meet, MJ could have just put down the vocals. For 6 songs - 6 days (let's say 6 different sessions) is enough to record vocals for 6 songs. They can always work on the music and production (London). And for John Legend track - he already had lyrics written - so he just had to put down the vocals.

Ok, maybe Will presented it to him as possible track for his album - but MJ did not record it. As we all now there are 6 will.i.am songs:

1. Can You...
2. I Will Miss You
3. If We Still Love
4. I'm Dreamin'
5. Still The King
6. The Future

No Fly Girl. Unless will.i.am re-used the instrumental beat from one of those songs and created Fly Girl for his album.

You are missing the point my friend, They could have worked on numerous songs, recording different parts here and there, i have to reiterate the fact that we do NOT know. I ain't saying that he recorded fly girl, your hypothesis might very well be the truth but for now we do not know the intimate details of all the songs Will and MJ worked on. You 'think' that he didn't record the song, now that is entirely different as opposed to claim that he didn't record it as a fact when you know as much about those sessions as the next person.

IMG_0259.jpg

Let's discuss the Michael and Will.i.am tracks

• Where are people's thoughts on the track Michael did with Will.I.am?
  • Would you like to see them on Xscape 2.0?
  • Perhaps not at all?

Last edited:
Re: Will.i.am tracks - thoughts?

Where are people's thoughts on the track Michael did with Will.I.am? Would you like to see them on Xscape 2.0? Perhaps not at all?

From what I've heard of "I'm Still The King", nope. Not as much as I wanted before. Even though if it's only the instrumental, I don't like it. Especially on a song named like this, that could have been way more "powerful" than what Will.I.Am did.

Last edited:

are there any snippets online? instrumentals?

Euan;4128487 said:
Where are people's thoughts on the track Michael did with Will.I.am? Would you like to see them on Xscape 2.0? Perhaps not at all?

According to Will.i.am himself, none of the tracks that he & MJ worked together on them will officially ever come to light.

Although Will.i.am is good at producing some nice summery tracks (such as ‘I Got It From My Mama’), yet I highly doubt that he could have taken MJ to ‘another level’. Their collaboration at that time (from 2006 onwards) seemed to me more of a compromise (on MJ’s part) rather than a big step forward for an artist of his caliber.

Personally, I do not have at all high hopes of the tracks they worked together, & subsequently I do not care if those songs will leak (or will be officially released) in the future.

Don't like the sound of that, but the guitar music that was used in that original segment was cool. I think you could hear MJ's falsetto also.

Yeah, clearly but I think a song named "I'm Still The King" should have been something like Threatened, 2000 Watts, Xscape, D.S and more. Something aggressive, not a "club banger" lol
Although I've not heard what he recorded and how his voice sounds so I don't want to critic too much. They could "contemporize" the song and make it really good.

Back