Ultimate J Dilla thread!

^^
f_laugh.gif
f_laugh.gif

this one's unofficial. they've taken the instrumental from Jay Dee's (Ummah) Brand New Heavies Sometimes remix (which i consider in the top 3 best dilla mixes) and mixed it with Lauryn's acapella. maybe Jazzy done the mash, you never know with this dude lol

Ah! Gotcha. :yes:

one of the very last material he worked on in a hospital bed (with cheap-ass decks and minimal equipment). goes to show that genius doesn't require the shiny new gear that every other producer raves about or depends on.

J Dilla feat. Truth Hurts - Ghetto Love

The "bounce remix" of Busta's Woo Hah instrumental:
i think he made (at least) 3 mixes for that tune. i can never decide which one's my favourite. what an insane track LOL

he should have worked a lot more with Busta, unbelievable chemistry.

wow, the man's got a good YouTube following! enlightening the peoples, good on them. lol

5zi5p2.jpg

The Pharcyde - Runnin' [1995]

Jay Dee Extended Mix

Smooth Extended Mix

Jay Dee Remix

that last one, his remix, has a notable sample of Gap Band’s “Yearning For Your Love”. it's nice, but can't top his original.

Thanks for the last song, lol. Just because of that, I'm gonna do a whole thread of "Yearning for Your Love". That's like my favorite song of all time ALMOST! :lol:

"Keep running..." :lol:

Thanks for the last song, lol. Just because of that, I'm gonna do a whole thread of "Yearning for Your Love". That's like my favorite song of all time ALMOST! :lol:

"Keep running..." :lol:
he must have shared your love because he sampled the same tune in other tracks. i'll try and hunt for them.

and haha yeah "Keep running" ... i bet just because of that link he said "i'm gonna flip this sample no matter how it fits for the remix" lol actually the remix had the Pharcyde re-recording their vocals to fit.

aahh i've just listened to the first 3 tracks from the opening post, loudly on headphones, what an awesome experience! now i'm checking out the rest.

great sounds overall but i prefer instrumentals, probably because i'm not the biggest rap fan LOL. i'm lovin' his vocals in Track #36, though.

what's your favourite era of James Yancey - Jay Dee or J Dilla?

someone somewhere in some interview mentioned that his name-change was signifying a change in his sound (and you can hear that) because so many cats were already copying the style he's most known for. that's the curse that goes with being a producer's producer.

Could be the J Dilla era. I agree about everyone copying his sound from his Jay Dee years. I think the Jay Dee years was when he was working with Tribe and 'em, right?

yeah, The Ummah years. i think i prefer that era even though he started doing some mad creative things with samples later on.

some more Busta collabs:

15cy9vl.jpg

It's A Party (The Ummah Remix)

Ill Vibe (LP Version)

Ill Vibe (The Ummah Remix)

Back