Ultimate J Dilla thread!

Vivian Green - Love Story [2002]

one of the early material that made the transition from the 'Jay Dee' to the 'Dilla' sound:

nf04gn.jpg

Vivian Green

Frantic (Dilla's Remix) [2003]

completely random and moot, but i was reading an article on Dilla and came across this shot of J with Madlib crate-digging in Japan, with a usual suspect lurking in the background:

k527w6.jpg

^ Great picture my friend!

Funny thing is that yesterday heard this interview with Pharrell where he talked about Dilla being a record junkie and one of the best producers ever.

You know, there's something with sampling that can't be recreated by self.
Meaning, if you have this 12" and decide to redo that stuff yourself it will not have the same "soul" and "life" into it... There so much going on, from how they played it, mixed the record, to the mastering, to pressing it, to you putting the needle on it and snatching what you want, to incorporate it into your stuff and then do the process again with mixing, mastering, pressing.

It's obvious Dilla was one of those guys that was very well aware of that.

About "Got Til It's Gone", has there ever been any clearance about that track?
I mean, the official word is that Jam & Lewis produced it - right?
But that has to be ghost produced by Dilla?!

I bet someone like you is more deep into this whole story, hehe.

yeah you got it right, it's as simple as that. i got an audio clip of Jay in an interview talking about exactly what happened. he sounds bitter and rightfully so....

That is some crazy shit son!
But I'm really trying to figure out where on the way it went wrong, was it Q-tip that went and fucked it up or somewhere else on the way?
Because the Ummah act isn't credited neither, just Q-tip (probably since he's rapping on the track).
I mean, went Jam & Lewis all in and was like "fuck you, we're taking credit for this"?!

That interview though, ain't that a real rarity huh? Love those interviews you have to dig deep for!

Thank you for that - really appreciate it!
As I said I love these old rare interviews where you just zone out, get your mind into another place.

That why I love the remasters of Michael's records where you get to hear Quincy and Rod Temperton talk about making the albums.

I just wish they'd put in some bonus features on the "Dangerous" remaster, I'd love to hear Teddy talk about recording it.

These quotes come from different threads, but I want to supplement them with a later track recorded by D'Angelo and Common using the same beat Dilla made for his Donuts album and with the same gorgeously flipped Isley Brothers sample.

This Dilla track takes Isleys' Don't Say Goodnight and plays with Jasper's awesome synth leads.

Dilladonutscover.jpg

J Dilla

Bye

Been trying to get hold of this version for weeks...

122eptc.png

The Isley Brothers

Don't Say Goodnight
(Instrumental)

Sounds like that vinyl's been on the stove for some time, but this track is an example of why I admire Chris Jasper so much - he came up with some of the best synth leads/pads/lines but hardly ever wanted to flaunt it to any point of saturation like most of the synth-happy pop producers of the 70s and 80s. Instead his subtlety altered and elevated the harmonics and it's what makes you yearn for more, and never get tired of a lot of his tracks.

Theshiningalbum.gif

J Dilla

So Far To Go
(feat. D'Angelo & Common)

Ghostface i think used a sample from the Donuts album, Right?

arXter you came back! :) why did you get banned at max jax btw? i'm not an active member there, but I read all the stuff, especially the great discussions about love, god and everything else. wish I had more time to contribute.

thanks for posting the track!

Haha, Alec, cheers for that. 'Twas a prudishly draconian ban. But the Jax is bigger than all of that, you should start posting there. A lot of folk with the same interests, you'd love it and we'd love you.

wish I had more time to contribute.
I wish you did, too.

I think I may have to start posting there. I was about to do that twice... but the third try is coming. It's amazing how many really intelligent people are there, and open minded too. I love it.

Dilla was a great musician, it shows that contrary to popular opinion sampling can be something quality.

A year ago, conductor Jason Weinberger heard Suite for Ma Dukes for the first time. A long time fan of J.Dilla’s, Weinberger’s first thought when he heard the music was that he needed to find a way to perform Miguel Atwood-Ferguson’s “stunning reinventions of Dilla’s music.” “I’m always looking for ways to open up the traditional orchestra experience to new things anyway, so this seemed very natural.”

After a quick Google search, Jason found Miguel and sent him a message to see if there was anyway to get the Dilla pieces in front of one of the orchestras he worked with. A few months later they met in LA and connected over Dilla, Flying Lotus, and Lutoslawski, and the rest is history.

Earlier this year, Miguel Atwood-Ferguson and the Mochilla Team flew out to Cedar Falls, Iowa to witness J.Dilla’s music being performed as part of the WCFSO’s (Waterloo-Cedar Falls Symphony Orchestra) tribute to Great American Composers. The evening had Dilla’s music performed alongside legends Duke Ellington and William Grant Still.

“As the person responsible for programming the concert, I probably don’t have to explain how exciting it was for me to find myself performing Dilla’s music with the WCFSO. Even more gratifying, though, were other aspects of the evening – feeling the connections emerge between Dilla and his predecessors William Grant Still and Duke Ellington, taking the orchestra outside of its comfort level and in the process to a whole other level of music making, and especially offering our audience the opportunity to abandon preconceptions and discover something special. In the words of one listener in attendance that night, ‘the music was beyond interesting, especially the movements from Suite for Ma Dukes by J Dilla … we were swept along enjoying sound adventures we never could have imagined that we would enjoy.’”-Jason Weinberger

Watch as this video takes you on a sound adventure and witness the magic of Dilla’s music performed on what would have been the eve of his 36th birthday to a sold out audience. The standing ovation Miguel received was testament not only to the beauty of his work on Dilla’s music, but the power of music. Sounds ability to open ears, minds, and hearts.

“I think Dilla would have been proud of that.” -Jason Weinberger

TURN IT UP!!

^^Common's classic 'Chocolate like water' was 70% Dilla produced and thats why its one of his best albums to date

What's In My Bag?

The Amoeba record stores has a series of videos where different music acts talk about their purchases called "What's In My Bag?". This one features Flea (bassist for Red Hot Chili Peppers) & Amy-Jo Albany. I was surprised when Flea mentioned Dilla (at 5:58).

Back