Victory was Michael's biggest mistake

I do think MJ would prefer the conditions of the way performing goes now to how it was back then. Far more able to encompass his vision as well.

Concert going is by no means dead, merely transitioning. Recording shows and then providing a home media release is the ideal path though.
Releasing Victory at some point crossed Michaels mind since he eventually brought in his own crew to start filming. I understand he wanted to pretty much control the aspect of the tour from the audio to the angles and overall presentation but something could've worked out between the brothers. Them signing on for a laserdisc release and not telling him is probably why he blocked it.

No, it's really not. You scared of dead people on camera? There's movies you shouldn't watch then.

It's sad. But really it's just, iconic. MJ was this iconic and Hollywood was this special. Just like We Are The World, but in miniature.
Smh why must everything I say u have to be a smug asshole about it. U are a bitter person!

I'm not sure where I read this or how true it is for that matter, but I read that Michael intended to record Human Nature live on the Victory Tour, then release it again as a single, but he was unsatisfied with his own performance.

The first thing I thought when I read that was didn't Himan Nature already come out as a single in the summer of 83? It'd be a bit silly to re-release it but then again a video would help promotion.

I'm not sure where I read this or how true it is for that matter, but I read that Michael intended to record Human Nature live on the Victory Tour, then release it again as a single, but he was unsatisfied with his own performance.

The first thing I thought when I read that was didn't Himan Nature already come out as a single in the summer of 83? It'd be a bit silly to re-release it but then again a video would help promotion.
Never heard of that but the only logical thing I can think of is him using that performance as promotion for the Victory laserdisc.

That interesting, it was already known that Michael didn't want to make tour, solo or in group after Victory tour but want to work in movies, imo it was a very good plan, because he could have made different kind of movies with different soundtracks without to fear to be too exposed, I remember to have read lot of articles in this website during Thriller/victory, and there are lot of movies in preparation, in solo and curiously including his brothers too, I remember the title "They Landed" and a movie in preparation with them and Tatum O'Neil for The Shaw Brothers in Hong Kong.

I'm surprised after Thriller, despite the controversy around this director, he didn't have asked John Landis to write and direct a movie for him, Horror director of this generation are well known to work very well and very quickly with modest budget who look bigger.

I'm shocked he (they) didn't put Victory tour in paper view, it's his best tour and would have bring lot of moneys, I think Michael could have convinced his brothers to make lot less concerts but in exchange they put that in cable/paper views etc...

For his future, there are an intesting interview from Frank Dileo during the Victory tour for the french documentary "Les Enfants du Rocks", it's around 8min12:

So, despite that Michael was tired of Tours, has clearly others goals like Movies etc...Dileo was already aware that Michael, and without his brothers, will make a solo European tour later (he wanted to make that in 85), it seem that Michael has no control of his own career despite what he liked to say, that these solo tours of 2 years who have been mistake, the tours with his brothers were always shorts; the fact that he was far less productive, the excessive surgery, the fact he didn't have talked about vitiligo sooner, his solo begin to be in playback etc...fans didnt realize that his reputation during Bad was catastrophic.

Last edited:
Back