What are the best books about Michael Jackson?

Re: What are the best books about Michael Jackson

his bodyguards who were with for a quite sometime before This Is It took over wrote it. It is the truth, Michael did say and do stuff like we did. They say it time after time, why would we lie about the Michael Jackson we knew. They even said we want people to see who he really was. If he was still alive, this book wouldn't have been written.

Moonwalk was Jackie Onassis really wrote it by copying and talking to Michael constantly while he was on tour.

Remember the Time has got quite a lot of stick from some fans who, maybe understandably, feel that the bodyguards are breaching their contracts by opening up about a client's private life in such a way.

I found it sympathetic and insightful though, and I would recommend reading this piece about it on All for Love. http://www.allforloveblog.com/?p=9205
Raven is a really good writer and expresses her views on the book far more eloquently than I can.

Definitely going to try Syl Mortilla. Would like to get Xscape Origins but the shipping is so expensive.

I don't care if the bodyguards are breaching their contract.
Their books ia a honest portray of who MJ really was. They way they talk about him is totally consistent with the personality you hear about from people like Liz Taylor, David Nordhal, the Cascios, the Agajanians, people who knew him for years. I don't think the bodyguards could come up with a fictional character that just happens to be like the person all these other people described.

redfrog;4096844 said:
I don't care if the bodyguards are breaching their contract.
Their books ia a honest portray of who MJ really was. They way they talk about him is totally consistent with the personality you hear about from people like Liz Taylor, David Nordhal, the Cascios, the Agajanians, people who knew him for years. I don't think the bodyguards could come up with a fictional character that just happens to be like the person all these other people described.

Personally, I am a bit skeptical about many of all those people (bodyguards, managers, publicists, etc.) that were a part of his inner circle (for example, the following refers to MJ’s African visit in 1992):

“Michael didn’t ‘do’ goodwill tours; he always insisted on being paid, whether it was over or under the table.”

(Bob Jones, The Man Behind The Mask)

^ I don't think anyone here would say that Bob Jones is a trustworthy person.

mj_frenzy;4096859 said:
Personally, I am a bit skeptical about many of all those people (bodyguards, managers, publicists, etc.) that were a part of his inner circle (for example, the following refers to MJ’s African visit in 1992):

“Michael didn’t ‘do’ goodwill tours; he always insisted on being paid, whether it was over or under the table.”

(Bob Jones, The Man Behind The Mask)

Oh for goodness sake. The man was in the Guinness Book of World Records for his humanitarian efforts ... Out of all of the things I have heard about MJ, this would be the most ridiculous.

Bob Jones has a pretty notorious track record when it comes to selling out his former client. I never put anything past anybody, but Javon and Bill's accounts of their time with Michael seem pretty sincere, at least from my view. The privacy argument will never die, but this book, in its own way, makes up for all of the voices in Hollywood who were too afraid and self-absorbed to speak up for their "friend" in his darkest hours, debunk all of the lies, deflect the innuendo, and just pay it forward to somebody that opened several doors for them. The book really brought to light the reality of a man just trying to pick up the pieces and take care of his family in the midst of chaos that no one could ever attempt to comprehend.

As a librarian for over 20 years now, I'm surprised at the lack of any children's biographies about Michael. Just an observation.

Sadly, I don't think any publishers would dare connect Michael with children's books. If they did, I know the pitchfork-wavers would be out in force. I don't think Michael was ever vindicated in the eyes of the general public.

Sadly, I don't think any publishers would dare connect Michael with children's books. If they did, I know the pitchfork-wavers would be out in force. I don't think Michael was ever vindicated in the eyes of the general public.
Maybe not now, unfortunately, but I'm surprised there aren't some from 1982-1984, especially-or from the 70's. I did watch the Jackson 5 cartoon back in the day, so I'm surprised there are no books-but Dewey would know.

I believe I read that MJ was working (or at least wanted to work) on either a children's album or book (can't remember which?) So if by some miracle that ever transpires, it'll probably be the closest we'll get.

As a librarian for over 20 years now, I'm surprised at the lack of any children's biographies about Michael. Just an observation.
After you wrote this, I kept thinking that surely a bio of Michael or even the Jackson 5 must have been written and I was looking all over the internet trying to find something-even the comic book adventures based on the old cartoon.

I ran across one children's bio on Amazon written by Joseph Madden that got a couple of scathing reviews (post 2009) and this one with NO reviews-but it's a graphic novel/comic book. By Saddleback Publishing.

then I ran across a couple of on-line children's bio sites. They're only a page long.
This Duckster one was the better of the two. I've never seen these before-I guess they are for kids who need to write book reports, maybe?

http://www.ducksters.com/biography/entertainers/michael_jackson.php

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/1234-michael-jackson-the-king-of-pops-back

Last edited:
I'd love to see more children's complete bios in print from a quality publisher, like Children's Press or Scholastic with beautiful pictures. I've had kids ask me for books about Michael for reports and there's not a lot to give them, other than online sites and an excellent biography database that we have at the library.

I'd love to see more children's complete bios in print from a quality publisher, like Children's Press or Scholastic with beautiful pictures. I've had kids ask me for books about Michael for reports and there's not a lot to give them, other than online sites and an excellent biography database that we have at the library.
I only looked those up bc after your post I could picture in my mind a book about Michael and the Jacksons. I could picture the lunch boxes and color forms too, but those were real. But guess the books were my imagination.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a librarian, work for Disney, or write and illustrate children's books. Maybe I should give it a shot. Lol.

Last edited:
dewey;4097252 said:
I know of a few really sweet children's books about MJ, written and illustrated by fans. Although they're not mass-market, they're available on Amazon:

Smile Effect
by Brenda Jenkyns(Author) and Cécile Duteil (Illustrator)
Imagine having Michael Jackson, the most famous person ever, as your friend. Then imagine being the only person who can see him. Wylie wasn’t sure why or how this was happening but he was learning a lot from Michael, like how to moonwalk and how to make a difference in the world. http://www.amazon.com/Smile-Effect-Brenda-Jenkyns/dp/1496191013/

Ever After
by Brenda Jenkyns (Author) and Kathy Garren (Illustrator)
The story of Michael Jacksons life is one of amazing talent, incredible determination, endless hard work, and unlimited love. Ever After is a picture book for children and adults, telling the story of Michael Jackson, to comfort and inspire all of us to honor his message of love and, by doing our best at whatever we love to do, make the world a better place.
http://www.amazon.com/Ever-After-Brenda-Jenkyns/dp/1481093894

Forever Loved
by Brenda Jenkyns (Author) and Kathy Garren (Illustrator)
Michael Jackson devoted his life to sharing his gifts with the world. Through his music, dance, and humanitarian efforts he showed by example, how each of us can make a difference in the world in our own way. Forever Loved is a picture book which reviews Michael Jackson's accomplishments, dreams and the effect he continues to have on people's lives and the world, through a conversation he might have had with Jesus. http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Loved-Brenda-Jenkyns/dp/1480057665

Maybe not now, unfortunately, but I'm surprised there aren't some from 1982-1984, especially-or from the 70's. I did watch the Jackson 5 cartoon back in the day, so I'm surprised there are no books-but Dewey would know.

Ahh yes, now you mention it, it is strange that there is nothing from the 70's or 80's.

The Magic and the Madness is inconsistent and feels a bit like reading tabloids, but as a fan of Michael I had trouble understanding how so many misconceptions surrounding his life could have materialized over the years, and the book certainly shows how that can happen. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. :no:

I really liked "Michael Jackson Conspiracy" by Aphrodite Jones, about the 2005 trial. She had to self-publish her original printing, because even her most loyal associates wouldn't risk their careers with a "pro-Jackson" book. It was originally written before he died, and I have the hardcover from 2007. I did hear though, that Mrs. Jones updated the paperback edition in 2012 with her thoughts on MJ's last years.

I also liked Jermaine's book, "Through A Brother's Eyes". I'm not sure I agree with some of his opinions like Michael having body dysmorphic disorder, though its certainly possible. I also have frank Cascio's book, and the updated version of "Magic and the Madness", since the last page of "Conspiracy" recommended it.

Moviefan2k4;4097655 said:
I really liked "Michael Jackson Conspiracy" by Aphrodite Jones, about the 2005 trial. She had to self-publish her original printing, because even her most loyal associates wouldn't risk their careers with a "pro-Jackson" book. It was originally written before he died, and I have the hardcover from 2007. I did hear though, that Mrs. Jones updated the paperback edition in 2012 with her thoughts on MJ's last years.

I think that Aphrodite Jones was blatantly against MJ during his trial & before his acquittal.

It seems that some people change their mind rather easily…

mj_frenzy;4097961 said:
I think that Aphrodite Jones was blatantly against MJ during his trial & before his acquittal.

It seems that some people change their mind rather easily…

It's much better if they are able to change their mind when seeing the facts than sticking to their prejudiced opinions. I would like to hope the former is the preferred outcome for MJ fans. Or would you prefer people to stick with unfavourable opinions about MJ just because they first were mistaken about him? I'm always glad to see when someone is able to see past prejudices and can change their pervious unfavourable opinions about him to more favourable.

It's actually been a few years since I've read Moonwalk, so I may decide to read it again next week.

No books on MJ seem to interest me. I recently read Jermaine's book and it was everything I expected, and less.

Are you talking about Aphrodite?

I am talking about these people who continually want to take advantage of the favorable circumstances (adapting effectively themselves to the varying conditions, for a number of reasons).

I think that people (probably) know if Aphrodite fits in this category or not.

It's much better if they are able to change their mind when seeing the facts than sticking to their prejudiced opinions. I would like to hope the former is the preferred outcome for MJ fans. Or would you prefer people to stick with unfavourable opinions about MJ just because they first were mistaken about him? I'm always glad to see when someone is able to see past prejudices and can change their pervious unfavourable opinions about him to more favourable.

Personally, I am not glad at all when someone seems to not accept the presumption of innocence (this applies to all cases).

I am talking about these people who continually want to take advantage of the favorable circumstances (adapting effectively themselves to the varying conditions, for a number of reasons).

I think that people (probably) know if Aphrodite fits in this category or not.

No, I don't think Aphrodite Jones falls into that category. When she wrote her book publishing a book about MJ being innocent was anything but fashionable. In fact, as far as I know she had to self-publish it because no publisher would take a positive book about MJ.

Personally, I am not glad at all when someone seems to not accept the presumption of innocence (this applies to all cases).

Still, the bashing is not warranted for those who eventually can see the light and are able to change their minds based on facts. For the record, I do not agree with everything Aphrodite Jones said (notably she made some rather ignorant and unfortunate comments about the Chandler case recently), but there are enough people who still talk trash about MJ and the trial, so I am not going to pick on the rare journalist who eventually did make that research (at least about the Arvizo case) and was honest enough to change her mind about that when she saw the facts and even tried to do something to correct her former wrongs (by writing a book). I wish there were more of such journalists because whatever mistakes Aphrodite has made, she was still more genuine and dilligent in her presentation of the 2005 trial than most other journalists.

Last edited:
I agree with Respect. Her comments about Chandler case really pissed me off too but I still think Conspiracy is a good book that I recommend to anyone that shows interest in Michael and the case. The fact that she's changed her mind seems to catch people's attention when I talk to them about the case and the biased media coverage, you know - she was part of the "bad guys" and now she feels bad about, so much so that she wrote a book about it, it shows MJ fans weren't\aren't paranoid and there was\is indeed some kind of conspiracy that includes the media.

What she did was wrong but I think she showed enough remorse with the book and the self publishing. However, that doesn't make her a Michael Jackson expert. I think she should stick to the 2005 case exclusively and not talk about the Chandlers, Murray, James and Wade unless she's going to make a thorough research JUST like she did with the Arvizos, no less.

I just read this book thoroughly and it explains everything in great detail getting to the cause rather than the effects. The world needs to read this

I'm still confused as to why Aphrodite changed her tune about the Chandlers? I remember listening to her on King Jordan and she was always adamant that was an extortion case and she detailed why. She didn't have good things to say about Robson/Safechuck either?I haven't read her latest comments, but it's definitely frustrating, and confusing.

Back on the book track, I'm just waiting for XScape Origins to arrive. I'm also going to take another crack at Moonwalk as I can't remember the last time I read it. I really want to read It's All for L.O.V.E and A Life for L.O.V.E but they're a little too costly for me at the moment. Has anyone read either one of them? I'm also thinking of reading Private Conversations in Neverland?

I'm still confused as to why Aphrodite changed her tune about the Chandlers? I remember listening to her on King Jordan and she was always adamant that was an extortion case and she detailed why. She didn't have good things to say about Robson/Safechuck either?I haven't read her latest comments, but it's definitely frustrating, and confusing.

The comment we are talking about was also said on King Jordan radio by her. It was something along the lines that "MJ might have been in love with Jordan". It was such a screwed up thing to say and I did not understand either why she had to say it, especially when she admitted she knew nothing about that case. I don't know if it was her way to sound "unbiased" or why she felt the need to say that, but it was real unfortunate. If you want to represent that you are unbiased or undecided about a case because you do not know enough you do not say something like that, just say "I don't have enough knowledge to comment that case" and leave it at that.

Since this was around when the Sullivan book was published I suspect she might have come away with that thing from reading that book, especially after she heard Mesereau endorse that book. This is why it's so unfortunate that Mesereau does not understand that Sullivan's book is not a good book at all - it may be good about 2005 (which is the only thing Mesereau seems to be focused on) but it's not good about anything else. If that was the thing that gave Jones the idea that "MJ was in love with Jordan" that only proves this point.

I thought it had something to do with June's testimony, but the Sullivan book could be the reason. I didn't read his book so I didn't realize it might have been her source.

I'm not a big reader at all,in fact I have owned Moonwalk and The Magic and the Madness for umpteen years and have still to read either:sorry:
I have read Aphrodite Jones' Conspiracy and thought it was quite good but I enjoyed her show more,True Crime,I have that saved on my Sky box,it is available on Youtube for anyone who may not have seen it.

Back