When Do You Guys Expect New Music?

Frankly, forgoing conventional albums and sticking with streaming singles is a genius business plan. Full-length records are struggling and Spotify/Apple Music has completely overtaken as the primary method for hearing new music. In terms of chart success, the probability of another Top 40 single is far higher with streaming than with actual purchases. I do hope, though, that they wind up taking Michael's 2009 concept and eventually compile all the singles into a single album with 1-2 additional songs.

As far as re-issuing previously released and/or leaked material... I'm not totally sold. If they want to touch up certain songs and give them a larger platform I'm all for it, but I don't want a repeat of Xscape where 75% of the given music is stuff that's been widely available for years. I know they're trying to preserve their resources for the future, but it's just a waste of time imo.

I just want to hear something, ANYTHING that Michael wrote/recorded post-2005. Nearly 10 years after his death and we've still yet to hear anything that gives us an indication of how his songwriting skills held up in his final years, other than comments from people in the know.

That's not going to happen unfortunately. There is very little demand for CD singles in 2018 and if I'm not mistaken, none of the Xscape singles were released on CD and that was four years ago. I think the only formats the new songs will get released are going to be digital and streaming.
APWNN and LNFSG were released as CD singles:
APWNN - https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-A-Place-With-No-Name/master/737784
LNFSG - https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Love-Never-Felt-So-Good/release/5707324

Frankly, forgoing conventional albums and sticking with streaming singles is a genius business plan. Full-length records are struggling and Spotify/Apple Music has completely overtaken as the primary method for hearing new music. In terms of chart success, the probability of another Top 40 single is far higher with streaming than with actual purchases. I do hope, though, that they wind up taking Michael's 2009 concept and eventually compile all the singles into a single album with 1-2 additional songs.

As far as re-issuing previously released and/or leaked material... I'm not totally sold. If they want to touch up certain songs and give them a larger platform I'm all for it, but I don't want a repeat of Xscape where 75% of the given music is stuff that's been widely available for years. I know they're trying to preserve their resources for the future, but it's just a waste of time imo.

I just want to hear something, ANYTHING that Michael wrote/recorded post-2005. Nearly 10 years after his death and we've still yet to hear anything that gives us an indication of how his songwriting skills held up in his final years, other than comments from people in the know.

Does 'Best of Joy' not count?

From what I know, many of Michael Jackson unpublished song are incomplete, I hope that songs sung by Michael come out, and not by Jason Malachi!

Technically Best of Joy is a Thriller era song that MJ revisited over the years. I think many fans want to hear songs that were conceived post 2005.

Really?! That's cool. I previously thought as it was recorded in 2008(?), it was written around then too.

Really?! That's cool. I previously thought as it was recorded in 2008(?), it was written around then too.

The version released on the Michael album was recorded in 2008, but the song originates from the Thriller era.

As Nite Line said, "Best of Joy" was originally written in late 1981 under the working title "The Toy" for the Richard Pryor movie of the same name. Work on Thriller kept Michael from fleshing it out, and over the years it took new shape. There are at least four different versions of it:

1. The original 1981 demo
  2. A version from the early to mid 1990s with instrumentation by Brad Buxer
  3. The unedited 2008 demo with an alternate intro, restructured chorus, and third verse
  4. The 2010 remix we've all heard a million times
So sadly, it doesn't count. Seeing Michael's list of priority songs gives an interesting insight into his sense of quality control, but the most recent demo we have is "Days in Gloucestershire," which is from early 2004.

As Nite Line said, "Best of Joy" was originally written in late 1981 under the working title "The Toy" for the Richard Pryor movie of the same name. Work on Thriller kept Michael from fleshing it out, and over the years it took new shape. There are at least four different versions of it:

3. The unedited 2008 demo with an alternate intro, restructured chorus, and third verse
So sadly, it doesn't count. Seeing Michael's list of priority songs gives an interesting insight into his sense of quality control, but the most recent demo we have is "Days in Gloucestershire," which is from early 2004.

I really love the melody of Days in Gloucestershire - so sweet and nice. - Sad there isn't a better version/more finished version.

If MJ ever recorded a Christmas song as an adult - now would be a great time to release it! :)

- unfortunately I really don't think he did... - and if he did (with LMP?) it must be so unfinished it can't be released... - hope I'm wrong.

DIG is far from good.. The way he pronounces Gloucestershire is hilarious.

If MJ ever recorded a Christmas song as an adult - now would be a great time to release it! :)

- unfortunately I really don't think he did... - and if he did (with LMP?) it must be so unfinished it can't be released... - hope I'm wrong.

He started recording one I think but he didn't record any vocals for it. Just a choir.

We know Michael continued working on songs after they were released (ultimate collection) so if there's any later mixes of already released songs then I'd love to hear them.

I hope for at least 1 new song in 2019 - and not a feature like Don't Matter To Me - it has to be an all solo MJ song.

DIG is far from good.. The way he pronounces Gloucestershire is hilarious.

Couldn't disagree more. I absolutely adore "Gloucestershire," mispronunciation aside. Beautiful melody, exquisite atmosphere. I'd love to hear more MJ/Brad Buxer collaborations, because they consistently knock it out of the park ("Stranger in Moscow," "Hollywood Tonight").

Day Of Gloucestershire has it's problems but it had something there..
* obviously unfinished (what we've heard)
* a wide release would probably never get much attention, a very random topic for radio play. Non topical!

But it does have a nice melody, it's catchy, and is set up for some sweet vocals if revisited.

Days in Gloucestershire is brilliant. It has a nice melody and good vocals. I even love the way Michael mispronounces Gloucestershire. A shame that it’s incomplete.

As someone from the UK it just sounds stupid. I'll re-listen tonight but I remember disliking it when I heard it.

As someone from the UK it just sounds stupid. I'll re-listen tonight but I remember disliking it when I heard it.

The pronunciation is particularly jarring to UK based ears but probably not too bad for others.
I found the pronunciation of 'Moscow' in SIM much less irritating but at least it was the standard US pronunciation, and it was a much better song (IMO). For Gloucestershire I feel he really should have tried to get it right.

Wasn't the "mispronounciation" of Gloucestershire on purpose? It's his artistic freedom after all. And imagine if he pronounced it correctly there would be a syllable missing. I just love that song I think it's really beautiful.

QUOTE=AlwaysThere;4234100]Couldn't disagree more. I absolutely adore "Gloucestershire," mispronunciation aside. Beautiful melody, exquisite atmosphere. I'd love to hear more MJ/Brad Buxer collaborations, because they consistently knock it out of the park ("Stranger in Moscow," "Hollywood Tonight").[/QUOTE]

Yeah! Every Buxer/MJ collab was great! Also The Loser, SPYHO demo and Beautiful Girl!

Wasn't the "mispronounciation" of Gloucestershire on purpose? It's his artistic freedom after all. And imagine if he pronounced it correctly there would be a syllable missing. I just love that song I think it's really beautiful.

Yeah but there's a difference between saying Gloucestershire [Gloss-ter-sheer] or Glowcesstershire.

I'm from the UK too and I don't find it stupid or offensive. Really it's not that big a deal. People have different pronunciations.

I'm from the UK too and I don't find it stupid or offensive. Really it's not that big a deal. People have different pronunciations.

No, I didn't consider it offensive but the song would've been torn to shreds had MJ released it.

For someone that pronounced daily English words like "come on" as "shumon", idk why we are tripping over him mispronouncing a word he probably really didnt know how to pronounce lol.. reminds me of the Socrates story with mike on the set of the wiz.

I get what you're saying Dam2040 if it was released it would be torn to shreds. But honestly I get lost in the production and the melody too much to care.
Also I think it would sound weird saying it properly like (Gloss ter sheer) wouldn't feel other worldly at all, but different strokes for different folks

On a side note from an English perspective, the way Mike says Moscow in, Stranger In Moscow and how most Americans pronounce it sounds a bit odd. Although personally I wouldn't change that about the song because it's perfect

Well considering that everyone is a snowflake nowadays, you are probably right.

Oh, absolutely. I think it would've been laughed at more than anything because it is a straight butchering of the word and not like Stranger in Moscow, he straight up just gets it wrong.

Oh, absolutely. I think it would've been laughed at more than anything because it is a straight butchering of the word and not like Stranger in Moscow, he straight up just gets it wrong.

I think mispronunciation of the word 'Gloucestershire' helps the flow of the song. I think if 'Gloucestershire' was pronounced correctly, I think the song won't flow as well. The same way the pronunciation of 'Moscow' helps the flow of Stranger in Moscow. If Moscow was pronounced the way us Brits do, the flow of Stranger in Moscow won't be there.

Back