Will camera's be allowed? / Camera advice [ Merged ]

Re: Cameras ???

Do you think this camera would be allowed?

image_front1888.jpg

It's kind of big but not like the fuji in the first page. It's just like the lumix camera, someone posted, in regards to the specs.

image_front1888.jpg

It's kind of big but not like the fuji in the first page. It's just like the lumix camera, someone posted, in regards to the specs.

idk but thats a kick ass camera

Well the Fujifilm that Andyroser posted doesn't have a detachable lens, does it?
I just got a Sony H20, i hope it will be allowed in, it's not as big as it looks in the photos... Would it be considered a 'bridge' camera?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665794519

nothing wrong with that imo

re the panasonic one. yes no prob either
anything that doesnt have a detachable lense is fine by standard rules of entry

Camera Advice

Hey guys, I know a lot of us will be taking Digital Cameras with us when we go to the concerts and was wondering if someone could clue me in on and what and isn't allowed. I did read the o2 website but it really wasn't that clear, the camera I have in mind is Samsung WB500, the lens is not removable and it has an optical zoom, you can view pictures of it here:

http://regmedia.co.uk/2009/05/29/samsung_wb500_2.jpg

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/05/29/review_compact_camera_samsung_wb500/

I saw it in a store today and it's not actually very big without the optical zoom all the way out.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Re: Camera Advice

anything without a detachable lense should be fine

I believe the policy is anything less than 35mm, no detachable lenses and not anything that 'looks professional'.

Here is the o2 Arena official Camera Policy:

The use of unauthorised cameras, video or sound recording is prohibited and such items may be confiscated. At some shows, discretion may be used in the enforcement of this rule subject to the agreement of the event promoter and small (less than 35 mm) cameras may be permitted. Visitors should adhere to flash photography signage at all times. For some concerts ALL types of camera will NOT be allowed into the auditorium at the request of the artist.

Professional cameras and the use of video or audio equipment is strictly prohibited AT ALL TIMES as are video and audio recordings made without the permission of the artist or promoter.

A "professional" (therefore unauthorised) camera is deemed as anything with a lens of 35mm or over. These types of cameras will always be confiscated on entry and then made available for collection at the end of the event. Large cameras or those with detachable lenses which look "professional" may also be confiscated for the duration of the event.

In most cases this will be stated on the event page on our website and/or on your ticket for that event. If you are unsure please call Customer Services on 0208 463 2000 or email customerservices@theo2.co.ukThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it in advance of your visit, or check signage on arrival.

Some performers do not like any flash photography to be used as they find it distracting. On these occasions we will use signage, announcements and directly advise audience members not to use any flash.

The only thing I was concerned with is it's a lot more clunky than the traditional digital zoom cameras but it's not absolutely massive either. I guess I'll buy it and risk taking it with me.

seriously I think cameras that DO NOT look professional will be fine. So long as they don't have a detachable lens, or are HUGELY bulky like some of the Kodaks digital slr ones, I don't think there will be a problem.

The main thing they can do is to tell you to put it away. I mean can you really honestly see security confiscating 18,000 cameras? I know they say about the "camera ban" etc but I mean what are they going to do? Take everyones mobile phones, take away iPhones, take away flip cameras and all digital cameras. Sorry just don't see it happening. Hey I've been to only a handful of concerts and I must say that ALL of them have said, NO PHOTOGRAPHY, and yet I still got away with taking photos and recording video etc. I even had security come up to me and tell me that it's not allowed, hell I had that at Thriller Live too. They cannot do anything about it but tell you to put it away and that it's not allowed.

Is MJJC going to allow people uploading amateur bootleg footage from the shows on to this forum?

Im risking it! :) the worst they can do is take it away and I can always get it back, otherwise they can reimburse me for the camera.

Amateur videos are not banned from MJJC, we have numerous posts of amateur recorded audio and video, as long as its not released commercially then there is no problem.

Im risking it! :) the worst they can do is take it away and I can always get it back, otherwise they can reimburse me for the camera.

Amateur videos are not banned from MJJC, we have numerous posts of amateur recorded audio and video, as long as its not released commercially then there is no problem.

Remember we were talking about the Flip cameras Dom? well I reckon this camera (the one I've chosen) will be much better with nice HD recording capability and an awesome zoom. Tried it in a store yesterday.

I read a couple of posts back, the camera looks and sounds awesome! you should be able to get brilliant footage, if its HD footage though, will you need a memory device of some sort to store the footage? how much will it record and store for you?

Last edited:
Im getting the samsung WB500 aswell EM-JAY...Quality is amazing and the zoom is phenominal :)

You're not kidding lilseanb, I was playing with it in Curry's Digital up at Manchester yesterday and holy crap that is one kick ass piece of kit.

Dom (and lilsean) you will need a good size memory card for the HD recording BUT it uses the same encoding as the Flip UltraHD, so providing you get one of 8GB or more then you can at the very least record 2 hours of high quality HD footage with one of the nicest zooms possible at that price.

or throw u out.

yeah and the chances of that are slim. Im not saying it doesn't happen but it's unlikely. I honestly don't believe there will be enough security to stop ALL cameras or whatever they're saying.

It's quiet normal now to take cameras to gigs and stuff. I guess it's just whether you choose to risk it or not. I know i most definitely will be taking my camera and I bet you that I'm not the only one taking one in.

Personally if anyone asked me if I was going to take a camera, I would tell them yep so long as it doesnt have a detachable lens or one of the really really long lenses. someone posted a pic in here earlier on something like page 7 i think something like that "looks" professional, and that I wouldnt take.

I'd say that the Samsung WB500 would be about the max they will allow in. Its still fairly small. Meh I just wouldnt worry about it.

But hey that is JUST me

yeah and the chances of that are slim. Im not saying it doesn't happen but it's unlikely. I honestly don't believe there will be enough security to stop ALL cameras or whatever they're saying.
depends on what mood security is in lol thats how it works with me lol they arent saying cameras are banned ppl are just asking what the probable rules will be. at this stage until something is said (if it does get said) all u can really go with is the general rules of detachable lenses. worst comes to the worst u have to go put the camera in the cloakroom and get it at the end. so yeah ppl shouldnt bother to much

When i went to see Metallica at the O2 Cameras wernt alloud in but it didn't stop me takeing pictures lol the security gards even saw me doing it but didn't do anything to stop me and i was in the front row

It depends who the artist is and what they're rules are. With Prince, I've been told security was very strict.

Simple questions, what is security when entering the O2 like? Is it a simple pat-down, metal-detector wand, or what?

they have airport style security but i dont know whether its used all the time..

Re: will cameras be allowed ?

I just got a Sony H20, it's about the same price as a regular compact with 7 or 8X zoom except it's got a 10X and a ton of other great features. Plus you can zoom while you're filming, which you can't do with most other ones.
It actually looks bigger in pics than it really is.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665794519

Also, I wrote an email to O2 and this is the response I got:

Dear Sorina

Thank you for your email.

You are allowed to bring a small digital camera no SLR cameras will be permitted; binoculars are ok to bring in to the arena. If you bring bottles of water, the lid will be removed on entry to the arena due to health & safety reasons.

Kind regards

Sakeena Baloch
Customer Services -The O2

Well thats good news about Digital Cameras at least I can bring that in with me. I was looking at pics that I took from MSG in 2001 they were with a disposable but it was too far from the stage. My digital cam has a zoom lense on it and I think I will be needing that :D

yeah i guess so. someone whos been to the 02 alot can clarify what they use

Thank God for that. Cause I was going to say that bra's are great for stashing small digital camera's in! LOL Ladies, don't ever underestimate the many uses of your bra!

Back