Would fans be interested in an official MJ collectors label?

Would you like a special MJ collectors label?

• Yes

Votes: 176 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters
Just an idea I had...

A hardcover photo book dedicated solely to the TWYMMF short film. Hundreds of unseen photo's from on set and perhaps even rehearsals with text consisting of stories of those who worked on the video. There could even be a bonus blu-ray with perhaps a making of feature, outtakes and perhaps even a new alternate edit of the short film. This kind of thing could be done for all of his short films really.

These are the kinds of releases that a collectors label could give us. Something like that would probably never be put out in mass quantities for the general public, but it is perfect for the hardcore fan base and exactly the kind of thing we would lap up.

And that's just one idea.

twymmf_zpsa0eb8f69.jpg

Awesome idea. Would love this type of release for all the classic singles. I just wanted to bump this thread and keep the idea floating around. The Elvis label is flying with the new 10-disc release 'That's The Way It Is' http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=7370 An absolute treasure troves worth of material from Elvis's 'Las Vegas era'. MJ's legacy really deserves this type of collectors label.

I think the people behind the Michael Jackson brand are currently not in the right place to do a collector's label. Everything they've tried to do has been about the success of it. They lapped up Xscape for example, whilst Bad 25 was mostly loved yet seen as a failure because it didn't sell. Maybe in a few years when they aren't still gunning for everything to be Xscape level.

^^Good point. It's probably too soon alright, I guess Elvis had left the building for many years before they set up that collectors label, but the guy who's running that is doing an amazing job. The Elvis material seems to be truly monumental, six complete concerts, fly-on-the-wall outtakes, two dvds and 80 page color book. I loved Xscape and Bad25 even more so, although that was more aimed at us fans rather than the casual music buying public, it would be great if they eventually set up a separate label for hardcore fans and got an MJ expert to travel around the world and unearth everything possible and release really concise quality products for the fans. These collectors releases wouldn't need to be done with the charts in mind, but with keeping his work alive and giving us a bloody good hobby. The new Elvis boxset is $150, but I'd happily pay that for a similar MJ boxset provided it had a wealth of material. Surely there's as many MJ fans with as much passion and interest than there is Elvis fans. It would be awesome.

Just an idea I had...

A hardcover photo book dedicated solely to the TWYMMF short film. Hundreds of unseen photo's from on set and perhaps even rehearsals with text consisting of stories of those who worked on the video. There could even be a bonus blu-ray with perhaps a making of feature, outtakes and perhaps even a new alternate edit of the short film. This kind of thing could be done for all of his short films really.

These are the kinds of releases that a collectors label could give us. Something like that would probably never be put out in mass quantities for the general public, but it is perfect for the hardcore fan base and exactly the kind of thing we would lap up.

twymmf_zpsa0eb8f69.jpg

You know, that's a very good idea. As you said, there could be a book like this for all of his shorts films (With a Blu-ray disc of behind the scenes footage for each book). To add to this, the first few pages of these books could contain the lyrics of the book's song, the song's credits, a short passage of how the song came to be, and maybe a foreword by the short film's director.

Either way, you bet I would be finding some why to get my hands on these books!

Oh my, I would love to work for this collectors label. :laugh: Doing everything involved with creating the books, gathering photos, lyrics, history/story, writing it...:heart: Right up my 'librarian girl' alley. (I've always hoped Karen Langford would want an assistant.)

Okay, done daydreaming now.

^^Good point. It's probably too soon alright, I guess Elvis had left the building for many years before they set up that collectors label, but the guy who's running that is doing an amazing job. The Elvis material seems to be truly monumental, six complete concerts, fly-on-the-wall outtakes, two dvds and 80 page color book. I loved Xscape and Bad25 even more so, although that was more aimed at us fans rather than the casual music buying public, it would be great if they eventually set up a separate label for hardcore fans and got an MJ expert to travel around the world and unearth everything possible and release really concise quality products for the fans. These collectors releases wouldn't need to be done with the charts in mind, but with keeping his work alive and giving us a bloody good hobby. The new Elvis boxset is $150, but I'd happily pay that for a similar MJ boxset provided it had a wealth of material. Surely there's as many MJ fans with as much passion and interest than there is Elvis fans. It would be awesome.

i really dont think 6 complete concerts is good elvis performed over 100 concerts. Also it took 55 years to see footage of any of his shows in the 50's. ernst jorgensen (the one in charge of the label) is doing a very good job to the best of his ability with how much of a hardcore fan he is of elvis himself though but it's sort of a given the mans been dead 35 years.

I hope this will happen some day..! There's so much material the general public wouldn't be interested in, but hardcore fans would die for.. and sadly all of that precious material is just lying around in a vault somewhere:no:
I'm not sure but I think is was Bill Pecchi(was that his name?) who said they recorded TONS of footage during the Bad tour:bugeyed, not only the shows themselves but also rehearsals, backstage 'moments with Michael' -as he said it- and much more. Now.. THAT is something I want, no need to see!!

Just an idea I had...

Ohh this is such a great idea! :clap: I'd love to see these books made for TWYMMF, Bad & Smooth criminal to name a few, but it could be done for a lot of his short films! And I'd especially love the idea of a dvd to go with it, with lots of behind the scenes footage.. rehearsals, deleted scenes, Michael being silly on set..:girl_love:

Completely daydreaming here of course :D, but imo it would be great to really 'dive' into each specific song, I'd love to see/hear as much as possible of the process of creating them. He always talks about 'singing' the songs into a tape recorder when he was creating them, I wonder if any of that is kept? I'd sure love to hear it.. Also, I think there's a wealth of footage out there of Michael in the studio.. If someone like Brad Sundberg has footage of Michael recording Childhood and audio material of Michael and Bill Bottrell creating Give in to me (+ loads of other studio footage..), imagine what the Estate must have! It would be awesome to have all material available for a specific song on one dvd, songwriting sessions, jam sessions, demo's, alternate takes, proper a cappella's, those cute little bits of talking in between takes:laugh:, footage of recording the song etc etc:woohoo: *sigh* oh well.. a girl can dream I guess :sigh:

Oh my, I would love to work for this collectors label. :laugh: Doing everything involved with creating the books, gathering photos, lyrics, history/story, writing it...:heart: Right up my 'librarian girl' alley. (I've always hoped Karen Langford would want an assistant.)

Okay, done daydreaming now.

Wouldn't THAT be awesome! :girl_sigh:

Things are so quiet in the fan community these days. There is nothing to keep us active. There is nothing to get excited about. A lot of people are drifting away from the forums including me because it's usually pretty depressing. The fan community needs something like a collectors label.

Things are so quiet in the fan community these days. There is nothing to keep us active. There is nothing to get excited about. A lot of people are drifting away from the forums including me because it's usually pretty depressing. The fan community needs something like a collectors label.

Actually, IMO in the last few days/weeks there have been more activity and more talk about music subjects here.

Last edited:
I was just thinking "who the hell clicked no?!" but then I realised I love Simon and Garfunkel but don't really care to hear any b-sides or unreleased live shows, so others would feel the same about MJ

i really dont think 6 complete concerts is good elvis performed over 100 concerts. Also it took 55 years to see footage of any of his shows in the 50's. ernst jorgensen (the one in charge of the label) is doing a very good job to the best of his ability with how much of a hardcore fan he is of elvis himself though but it's sort of a given the mans been dead 35 years.

Yeah, that's why I said "it's probably too soon" but I read, a year or so back a brilliant article on Ernst Jorgensen, & from what I remember reading, he's traveled far & unearthed a ton of Elvis material & the legacy label has released quite an amount of quality products. And aren't those 6 concerts from the same run of shows (tour)? Isin't there also a few other Elvis concerts released? Hey, imagine 6 official Victory, Bad 88/89 or Dangerous concerts released, amongst decent box sets with MJ's raw material in the original state he left it. I enjoyed Xscape quite a bit, but I don't want remix albums for the rest of my life now.

why is there still no collectors label

is this ever going to come? im get annoyed now. Are we going to have to wait another 10 years or something whilst they annually trickle out public releases? can you imagine how exciting this board will come again as we anticipate each new release from the estate if this materialised?

I have mixed feelings on stuff like this. Like what was said above about individual things like TWYMMF; absolutely, sure. Partly because Michael's films are so iconic as a whole package, I would love to see something like that.

On the other hand (And at risk of sounding like a hipster fan) I much prefer the excitement of getting a leaked demo. I had Xscape, like 3 different versions of Blue Gangsta ('No Friend of Mine'), We Be Ballin, LNFSG, etc etc for years before Michael even died, much less it was released by the Estate. While it was really cool to see what they did with it, and I am really happy Xscape finally got an official release...I much prefer the experience of getting something that feels like more of a secret, like I'm discovering it all my own. To me, it cheapens the experience, and yeah, I'm going to be one of those people for a moment say that Michael probably wouldn't want his demos pressed to disc for an official release (lol not like that would stop me from hunting them down!)

I feel that for me getting them "organically" as it were, that I'm not missing out on the experience. With official releases from the Estate, we know there there is a lot more that we missed out on. I don't want edited Michael, I want pure Michael, if we're talking making-of, BTS, demo-type stuff.

I remember when he was trying to finish up his contract with Sony and all the 2001 Special Editions came out. They were cool because then I got to hear songs like Someone Put Your Hand Out and Streetwalker (tracks I had no access to previously because I was just too young, really), but omg the interview sections and stuff drove me nuts. I couldn't listen to the music! I hated the way it was all interspersed and I would have much rather had a two-disc thing - one with just the album and bonus tracks, then a separate one with all the interviews.

So, if they're over-bloated with superfluous crap like that where I can't find a way to very simply put the disc in and enjoy the music, and it's disorganized like those awful remasters, then no, I'm not interested. But if it's true to Michael as an artist and lets his process speak for itself, then yes, I would be interested.

I love hearing stories about him. But I don't want "collectors" stuff to just be that.

I don't think I'm articulating myself well, but I hope it makes sense to some!

you can download the individual mp3 tracks into your itunes so you dont have to hear interview sections.

Count me in ONLY if the content is kept "as-is" and modified for quality assurance purposes. As a fan, I know the fun in discovering unreleased material is that element of surprise, but it wouldn't hurt if the estate gave us an idea of some of the things MJ left behind.

Collectors label would be awesome. They could release a lot of jumbotron concerts from Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour.

Totally, but how much material would we get until the supply was exhausted. I mean we hear all these tales about Michael Jackson writing and recording dozens of new songs for each album, but most of the re releases and leaks are only turning up a few tracks, although they are great. Xscape is a great example of how well MJ outakes can be marketed and the quality of some of these songs.

My question being, does Michael Jackson have a "Vault" full of unreleased music, album projects and everything ranging from random beats and scattered vocal tracks up to songs ready to roll. If he does like Prince's reputed vault, what is the quality of the music? as most of the released Prince vault material was minimal in quality, would this be the same for MJ material released on a prestige label.

The advantage of such a thing is that it would eat into the lucrative bootleg market and also ensure first rate quality versions. All of us Prince fans know about the volume of Bootlegs of legendary unreleased tracks, althernative mixes and live concerts that exist. Would we have such a market for unreleased Michael Jackson product. I mean an Elvis Prestige lable is great, because Elvis released heaps of music and movies and was even more prolific than Prince, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones and Frank Zappa, all artists heavily bootlegged.

So my answer is yes, but how long before we run out of choice MJ product and start barrel scraping with lesser quality songs and then outright fakes and cut and paste jobs?

^ I don't think Michael was ever as profilic as Prince, so don't expect the same kind of big vault in MJ's case.

I think the idea about an MJ collector's label is that there are things which the Estate/Sony may not want to release as some highly marketed porject, they do not want to spend any money of it because they do not thing it would generate that much interest outside of the hard core fandom, but hard core fans would still want to hear/see them.

I'd be interested in some stuff depending on what the Estate offers us and the price! While I do like the contemporisations on Xscape, I feel that material released on this collectors label should be left as Michael last left them.

@mjprince1976: I feel a collectors label would probably be best for alternative takes of songs we already have, very rough demos (think People of the World style), studio session discussions between MJ and his producers (something like this) that would be more interesting to a hardcore MJ fan (or someone with an interest in music production).

Unreleased songs that are more complete and of higher quality (in terms of how good the song is) should be kept for the more mainstream releases, imo.

Collectors label would be awesome. They could release a lot of jumbotron concerts from Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour.

If this means BAD Tour New York 1988 then I'm all over that. Unless of course that show was filmed, because then I'd want a blu ray of it lol

Yes, IMO Michael Jackson deserves more concert material to be released to the fans. If the estate doesn't see profit from big official releases of concerts then a collectors label would be ideal. I mean if they could just make some sort of deal with his brothers and release a Jacksons concert that would be great (and long over due) if you ask me. Even if the Quality isn't Film material, tape is fine for collectors and most fans anyway. The estate said back in 2012 that if wembley couldn't be found they'd have to find a different show. In conclusion, I strongly believe the estate should pursue future concert releases whether it's on a collectors label or average DVD/Blu-ray because the FANS WILL BUY IT !

Back