Xscape General Discussion

if we ever get to hear the planned songs of the re-release? i hope sooner or later :/

I've come to the conclusion, that Xscape is underrated. Although I don't like all of the modern mixes, there still some good tunes on the majority of the album. It's unfortunate the promotion wasn't all the way adequate. As ridiculous as I thought it was, Sony really could've capitalized on the STTR Billboard Virtual "MJ" performance, perhaps made STTR a single, and turned that "performance" into a music video of sorts, the way the thing was talked about after, the longevity of the Xscape album could've been greater. Instead it seems like Sony just did the STTR Virtual "MJ" thing for shock value.

Whoisit89, Sony/Estate did capitalize on VV. Despite the insulting aspect of VV to Michael's legacy, a music video remains on Michael's Vevo channel of VV's performance today. VV was a gimmick and gimmick's do not have long shelf lives.

It was talked about and although I didn't care for the hologram itself and thought it needed a lot of work, I did like the dance. They should have struck hard while the iron was hot and released that single.

It was talked about and although I didn't care for the hologram itself and thought it needed a lot of work, I did like the dance. They should have struck hard while the iron was hot and released that single.

Amen barbee0715

The estate had a difficult decision because if they would've done something with ST TR then they would've killed the momentum of love never felt so good which was really driving escape sales. LNFSG was a huge international hit And a great advertisement for the album but who knows? I remember way back when They just released one single to advertise the entire album and I think Michael changed that with off-the-wall when he released several singles . I believe for posthumous album the promotion was really unprecedented ; maybe they could've done more but I'm really satisfied I think they did a really good job. I'm really looking forward to the next project we'll see how they treat that one.:D

Why not to capitalized on VMJ, maybe fans reaction told them not to...
Maybe. Or the law suit. But it shouldn't have been a big deal to release the single. All the work had been done already.
Beat It and Billie Jean released back to back so it's not that's it's unheard of.

I think the sales were great but could have been even better.

Why not to capitalized on VMJ, maybe fans reaction told them not to...

Estate/Sony DID capitalize on it. The video is on Michael's Vevo channel today. STTR was heavily streamed and did chart because of it.

The official second single, APWNN, did not chart because the public - fans included - did not purchase and/or stream APWNN so that it could chart. That is the official reason why Xscape did not have a third single and/or a re-release with additional songs despite evidence that supports Xscape's commercial success.

Don't know this guy, but the shirts rocks :)

Trey Kostra OFFICIAL ?@ayotrey June 9th

King it.

CHEpj-GXEAAlDbu.jpg

http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=89968

PPL, the music licensing company that works on behalf of record companies and performers to license recorded music played in public (at pubs, nightclubs, restaurants, shops, offices and many other business types) and broadcast (TV and radio) has today published its annual ‘People’s Charts’ of the most played Pop, Artist and Classical charts of 2014.

1. Katy Perry
2. Coldplay
3. Ed Sheeran
4. Sam Smith
5. OneRepublic
6. Rihanna
7. Clean Bandit
8. Avicii
9. Olly Murs
10. Michael Jackson

Cherrelle ?@Happychick93 June 9th

Xscape is 300,000 copies away from selling 2 million worldwide.

^^

WOW - that's impressive...

How come? - Has there been something MJ related shown on TV or something?

^ Sony lowered the CD price a little bit. And if you buy Michael and Pharrell Williams CDs together you pay just for one. Thanks to that Pharrell came back to TOP 10 too, but Michael is higher. :)

Michael Jackson ? ?@MJJLegion June 21th

Michael Jackson currently has more #1 albums on iTunes than Beyonce & Madonna (who just released an album).
CIBtpMdWEAACuYS.jpg

I read a post a page or so back saying it is radios descrimination of reason for lack of radio play.. While there IS truth to that we do have to recognize the fact that if radio stations don't see a high demand for a song they are not going to pay to play the song- even after the fact how often is not just up to the disc jockey etc.. most stations are a lot for corporate than that.for example many stations in the U.S. are told what to play according to various polls an examination of what people listen to..

In the end of the day the demand determines the supply... considering the circumstances of xscapes release think we should be happy with its success... Michael is not here to promote it... Ask yourself how well would a taylor swift album reallllly sell without performances, tours, publicity stunts, and good PR that she personally takes part of ? ... It would be a fraction of what it is now...

In the end of the day the demand determines the supply....

In music it's a tricky thing what determines what. Because people will listen to what they are fed with. If the media says this is cool, this is good, this is "in" most people will follow. And then they will have a demand for whatever the media and the corporations behind them want to push as "trend". When I look at stream websites it does not seem like there is no demand for MJ's music though. On the contrary, he's one of the most popular non-current artists - even more popular than a number of current ones. So why exactly radios do not play him? I know it depends on the radio format (a radio specialized in current top 40 music and where the target audience are teens will not play him, OK) or the geography (here in my country MJ videos are played quite frequently on music TVs - I don't really listen to radio so I do not know what's the situation there), but I'm always hearing from US fans how they don't play him there. Which is odd because based on Spotify, based on YouTube he is very popular.

But it's true if you are above a certain age as an artist you are bound to suffer with this since this is an ageist industry. I am hearing Madonna has the same problem. Prince has the same problem. That's why Janet is so interesting to me right now to see if they manage to find a marketing strategy that works for her. I think when you are a rock artist you maybe have it a bit easier at an older age, because rock is not so much trend-centered as pop. I don't know but I assume that rock radios will sooner play, say, Bruce Springsteen's new music than pop radios will play some ageing pop star.

I live in the U.S and in my particular area in Michigan our current top40 radio station does not play Mj at all. LNFSG received very little AirPlay from them when it was released. On the other hand we have 2 adult contemporary stations and they play Mj constantly. I have the radio on all the time when I'm working outside and I say I hear 3 to 5 songs a day easily. Pre Invicible songs with maybe YRMW from time to time. The variety of songs of his they play is quite impressive. I even hear the extended mix of somebody's watching me fairly often. I actually love the end of that song when Mike is letting it go with the ad libs great stuff! Man I miss him.

I live in the U.S and in my particular area in Michigan our current top40 radio station does not play Mj at all. LNFSG received very little AirPlay from them when it was released. On the other hand we have 2 adult contemporary stations and they play Mj constantly.

Yes, depends on the genre of the radio station and/or music video station. Many U.S. adult contemporary stations play MJ. Many U.S. R/B stations always played MJ even during the allegation periods. Most of those stations will not play posthumous music minus LNFSG (and HMH and APWNN for a short period). The music Michael released has been played and continues to be played. Since his passing, my U.S. friend stated many U.S. music video channels like BET, VH1-SOUL, and FUSE have paid tribute to Michael on the day of his passing and his birthday and continue to do so.

I don't listen to regular radio but MJ is played often on satellite across the channels I listen to -- those covering each particular decade.

I don't listen to regular radio but MJ is played often on satellite across the channels I listen to -- those covering each particular decade.

Yes, indeed, Michael Jackson is played on satellite, Sirius XM, radio; but not enough to suit me

Since his passing, my U.S. friend stated many U.S. music video channels like BET, VH1-SOUL, and FUSE have paid tribute to Michael on the day of his passing and his birthday and continue to do so.
Do they live in a city like New York or LA or Chicago. Down here there have been so many radio mergers that there's about 2 stations that play any kind of pop. The only one I like plays a mix of today's pop and 80s pop-so I hear Michael at least once a day in the car.

I checked the cable guide and they don't have the Fuse update as of tonight yet. Tv one is playing TII again. They're on expanded cable tho.

I only have basic cable now and I checked BET, VH1 and MTV and BIO. Nothing yet. VH1 is running the Temptations movie. I wish they'd play The Jacksons American Dream one instead. :(

All of them had some kind of tribute day to Michael the first 3 years but no more.

Barbee0715, N.Y., U.S. and the stations I mentioned have paid tribute to Michael for five years and are continuing for a sixth year. I mistakenly did not mention TVONE however; they aired the 30th special this past Sunday I believe.

i will use this thread...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...on-pentatonix-trending-140?utm_source=twitter

Janet Jackson Leads Trending 140, Pentatonix's Michael Jackson Medley Hits Top Five
janet-jackson-michael-jackson-grammys-1993-billboard-650.jpg

Janet and Michael Jackson have reclaimed their high perches on Billboard charts.

Janet Jackson released her new single "No Sleeep" Monday and it quickly shot to No. 1 on the Billboard + Twitter Trending 140, where it locked up four consecutive hours in the penthouse."No Sleeep" serves as the lead single from her forthcoming studio album -- her first since 2008's Discipline -- and features production by longtime collaborators Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. The pair consistently partnered with Jackson from her 1986 breakthrough, Control, through 2006's 20 Y.O.

Meanwhile, Janet's brother Michael Jackson reaches the chart thanks to a video tribute medley from a capella superstars Pentatonix. The quintet unveiled a new video, the "Evolution of Michael Jackson," which serves as a six-minute tour through the late King of Pop's catalog. The track quickly strutted to No. 3 on the Trending 140.

In "Evolution," Pentatonix revisits several Jackson tracks, ranging from his early material as a member of the Jackson 5 before sliding into some of his iconic solo records. Within the hits-packed collection, the group features 12 of his 13 solo No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 and three of the four Jackson 5 tracks that reached the top. (Jackson's tally marks the most Hot 100 chart-toppers by any male artist.)

Back