Your Opinion - Could MJ Have Done All Fifty Shows?

Could MJ Have Done All Fifty Shows?

• HELL YES!! He could have done 50 AND MORE! (please explain below)

Votes: 104 21.4%
  • Yeah, I think he was ready for 50, with the breaks here and there. (please explain below)

Votes: 248 51.0%
  • No, he was not healthy enough to do 50 shows. (please explain below)

Votes: 134 27.6%

• Total voters
I think Michael could have done all fifty shows, if he had been allowed to medically recuperate first and pace himself overall (maybe one date per week). Sadly, AEG and Michael's handlers wanted to rush the whole thing, and they didn't stop to think about Michael's health. He needed to be taken off that propofol ASAP, and get some serious medical treatment to help with his chronic insomnia.

Honestly, those behind the scenes "handlers" just saw dollar signs when they looked at Michael. So 50 shows sounded good IN THEORY, the reality is that Michael wasn't 100% health-wise. It was supposed to be beneficial for all parties involved but they could've done a better job in terms of planning so that he was not overwhelmed or getting burnt out. The level of concern wasn't there. Watching This Is It as many times as I have, those rehearsal Michael seemed to be on top of everything but at the same time, and I'd like to believe he'd just bang out those shows but no. Michael didn't even like touring in his prime, if it wasn't for the fans, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have done it all that much. In fact, I haven't seen the interview in a while but didn't he say while walking off the final show of the Bad Tour that he was done touring?

Although I know that had a bit more to do with trying to establish himself in movies, but still. Touring probably feels like working a 9-5 at times.

I would say YES but on the condtion that it would be over a one year span. Like 1 show a week. I could see it happening.

datblackboi08;4278448 said:
I would say YES but on the condtion that it would be over a one year span. Like 1 show a week. I could see it happening.

I think I read somewhere that he would do 2 shows and then rest 3 days, etc. I always thought he could have done those 50 shows because of the way they planned the breakdown/ rest times. I still can’t understand why people thought he was going to do 50 consecutive shows with no breaks. That’s not even rational or logical thinking and yet people didn’t use common sense.

datblackboi08;4278448 said:

I think I read somewhere that he would do 2 shows and then rest 3 days, etc. I always thought he could have done those 50 shows because of the way they planned the breakdown/ rest times. I still can’t understand why people thought he was going to do 50 consecutive shows with no breaks. That’s not even rational or logical thinking and yet people didn’t use common sense.

No i don't think he could have.

:blush: Oh...am i missing something here...? I read all the posts above this one only after i posted this thread. *gulp* *nervous chuckle* am i supposed to say that he can do all fifty...my bad. :blush:

Last edited:
Michael didn't like touring at all to be honest. he only did it for his fans. Michael actually wanted to do 10 shows. I think Michael could of did 50 shows with breaks. but also gotta look at the fact he wasn't sleeping and his health wasn't good. they said he was pretty healthy for his age. so I think Michael could of done it with breaks. if he did toured the tour probably would have ended a year or two. Michael was 50. he wasn't old old but he was there. at some point of his life he had to stop dancing sooner or later. of course he would be still making music and doing movies but as for dancing it was gonna stop no matter we wanted or not. I heard that fans actually was trying to make Michael not to tour in the first place but didn't work. they saying Michael was going to tour for the money.

Last edited:
Touring takes a lot of money and time. while Michael had all of that. he didn't have time to live a normal life. like i said he only toured for his fans. i think the BAD tour was gonna be his last but once again Michael kept doing it for his fans. he loved us. it's so funny when everytime Michael said he wasn't touring anymore then few years later he does. lol! sometime i feel Michael was somewhat derpy at sometimes. lol! Michael was tricky at sometimes. Michael was actually was gonna stop his career and move away with diana ross. but sadly that didn't happen. in someways i'm glad it didn't because we wouldn't get the Michael we all love today. but sometimes I wish because he probably would been still alive.

in someways Michael loved his career he just didn't have a chance to live a normal life sometimes. I totally understand. sometimes you just need your own space sometimes. ugh. being a superstar isn't easy job. especially if are Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson did not only tour for his fans.

For example, the main reason that he performed for his Dangerous World Tour was due to his desire to donate all the profits from that tour to various charitable organizations.

One of those organizations was also his newly-formed Heal The World Foundation (1992), which received a significant part of that tour’s total profits.

Legal, official documents prove that indeed all the profits from that tour went straight to those organizations.

Another important reason for him that he wanted to tour generally was that he liked being on stage and performing (he emphatically stated that to Martin Bashir in 2002 when he said that he wished he could sleep on stage).

Another reason was that he liked sightseeing, and the touring provided him with that opportunity (especially, in Europe where he had the chance to visit and learn about different European countries with vastly different cultures with one another).

What he did not like about touring (during his life) was the grueling process of the tour itself, such as the jet lag condition which used to disturb his own, body internal clock, and thus that condition worsened even more his insomnia.

144 said:
I don't think this is the right question. To me, the right question is: “Was he tricked into doing fifty shows?” I don't care if you are “Mr. Olympia” on steroids; There was something fishy about that contract. I've never, in my life, heard a person work an artist for as long as Phillips worked on Michael. And, I have never heard of a man telling an artist that they wanted him to do ten shows, then, the next morning, it's fifty. Even if a person is totally ready for something, that's just trickery. I've never heard of it, in my life. I've never heard an artist get one piece of news like that, in one day, and another dramatic one like that, twenty-four hours later. If there was a contract, it's got to be a “Shape-Shifter” contract from “Star Trek.” How does it change over like that? In 2001, MJ made it clear that he HATED touring. He never gave the impression that he was waffly about those things. He said it put him “through ****.” MJ came across as soft-spoken, those who spoke to him came off as being on bully pulpits. Even in that “P.H.M.” Video. Sure, he laughed it off, but it was easy to tell he hated being confrontational. Those people got the last word, and he joked about loving touring, but it didn't feel right.

It doesn't matter what your physical state is, if your mental state is not ready for something.

MJ seemed to like to do as few things as possible, to make the biggest impact. Two “M.S.G.” shows. Make tapes. Let everybody see it worldwide.

It seems like ten shows, the Internet or T.V., big impact.

At least, it seemed that many people thought that MJ was the kind of person that waffled on people, but what really seemed real was it was the other way around. People waffled on MJ. Ten shows, hocus-pocus....Fifty? I'm still smarting about that.

It feels like something went terribly wrong that we don't know about, between those ten shows, and his death. And, I have a hard time with the idea that his physical health had anything to do with it.

I don't think MJ needed a rhyme or reason to do what he wanted to do, whatever that was....Whether it was ten shows or no shows, and just to continue raising his kids. And, I refuse to ever, ever believe he had financial troubles. I maintain what I believed from the very beginning. MJ set himself and his kids up for many lifetimes, many years ago. And, he simply didn't really want to tour anymore, and get run into the ground, like James Brown, which were his exact words, before a lot of people started shouting in his ear, and he started looking like he was acquiescing, because he shied away from being on bully pulpits, and shouting to get his points across, like other people do. I still believe he didn't really want to tour. And, I know that is hard for people to hear. And, that doesn't mean he didn't love his fans; He loved his fans more than any other artist in history. But, he was a human being, not a machine. And, there are many ways to entertain someone, besides what the shouters in his ear were suggesting.

I think MJ was physically fit enough to do fifty, but that doesn't mean he should have been obligated to do fifty, if he didn't want to do fifty. That doesn't make him selfish. He has qualified to be THE MOST charitable person on earth; He can never be accused of selfishness, if he didn't want to tour. Even if he was healthy enough to go around the world ten times.

You make a LOT of great points, here, 144,000.
I totally agree with you, on ALL of them.
First off, as much as he admired, looked up to, and was influenced by, James Brown as one of his greatest mentors, Michael never wanted to follow the example of overworking himself by constantly going on extremely grueling schedules of touring and LIVE concerts, as if he had no other interests in his life. The older he got, the more physically demanding —— and, emotionally/psychologically exhausting as well, given what else he had to deal with in his life, from the “Dangerous” World Tour onwards —— such tours (and, their schedules for travelling and show-dates) became for him.

If there was ANY artist/entertainer who showed and displayed such genuine love, concern for, and caring about, the best interests of the fans, many of whom had come from miles around to see him or her perform, then, it was none other than Michael Joseph Jackson, himself, who proved just exactly how qualified he was, in that aspect. He never wanted to intentionally, or purposely, do anything that would let his fans down or disappoint them. But, his aging body —— by the last ten to 15 years of his life, one that had already been through YEARS, decades, of illnesses and injuries —— could only have taken so much.

Also, in the Late-1990’s and Early-2000’s, he became a father. So, he had other important responsibilities to be concerned with as well. Plus, the lifelong stain of besmirching his character and the stigma that IT had held against him, because of how the media treated him so negatively in its stories, using an awful, demeaning, EVIL slur of a so-called “nickname,” in its big, bold newspaper front-page and magazine-cover headlines, against him alone* —— *one which I will never use in any of my responses, for plainly obvious reasons (in part, because of the associated misuse of his and his family’s surname with a word that calls him “mentally ill” and “unstable,” the extensive “news” media coverage of allegations/accusations that were later PROVEN to be false) —— had to have severely affected his mind, in some way, too.

He had to put up and deal with not only one such greedy family of a false accuser, but with TWO of them within a time-span of ten years, from 1993 to 2003.

Not to mention that, throughout his whole entire adult life (more than 30-something years), he had to put up with rumors, cruel, vicious and mean-spirited “jokes” about him (which a number of comedians told at his expense, no matter how hurtful, ugly, offensive and distasteful such “humor” was for him, and still is for his family), the gossip, implications, misleading innuendos, the undue curiosity and speculation about his private life, and every single outright bold-faced LIE that has ever been told about him, regarding everything from the sound of his natural voice to the drastic changes in his outward physical appearance, to his behavior not fitting into old-fashioned, long-ago-outdated “macho Male” stereotypes.

That he was even able to rehearse for “This Is It” AT ALL, it proved the opposite of what many had thought about him, that he was actually a whole lot stronger than what most people would otherwise have thought. And, yet, Michael was still a human being, physically, emotionally, psychologically, and in every other way.

Last edited:
Back