Michael Jackson's Estate Wants to Keep Thrilling

ivy

Proud Member
More than two years after his death, Jackson is still on top. His estate wants to keep him there

By Ronald Grover and Andy Fixmer

comp_jackson02__01__370.jpg

Long Live the King: Michael Jackson's executors are intent on pitching the artist to a new generation of fans Ho New/Reuters

More than two years after his death, Michael Jackson is still moonwalking to the bank. Already one of the best-selling artists of all time, the singer was the top-selling act of 2009, thanks to a post-mortem surge in interest in his albums. That raised his career total to more than 750 million records worldwide. This Is It, the backstage look at Jackson’s unrealized final tour, was released four months after his death and became the highest-grossing concert film ever. In the 18 months after his passing, his estate reported that it collected $310 million from music, merchandise sales, and its share of publication rights on a music catalog that includes songs by the Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Jackson himself.

Now the hard part begins. As unseemly as it may sound, the first year of a celebrity’s death can be a bonanza. “When a star first dies, fans are desperate for just one more performance,” says Mark Young, a University of Southern California professor who specializes in sports and entertainment. Maintaining that buzz could be a challenge for even the King of Pop as fans move on to the next Lady Gaga-du-jour. Jackson wouldn’t be the first king to fade. The Elvis Presley estate, long the gold standard of money-making by dead stars, now has all the earmarks of an aging brand. In 2010 the estate generated $57 million for CKX, which owns the rights to the Elvis name.

Not bad for someone who’s been dead for more than 30 years. Still, tourist visits fell in five of the last six years at Graceland, Presley’s Memphis home, which provides more than half the estate’s revenue. Occupancy at the Heartbreak Hotel next door slid from 80 percent in 2006 to 67 percent in 2010. That’s a reason the estate scrapped plans to develop a hotel and convention center adjoining Graceland, taking a $900,000 write-off. “We learned a lot from the Elvis estate, and we see opportunities,” says John Branca, Jackson’s former lawyer who is co-executor for the estate with music executive John McClain.

Branca has tackled some urgent financial issues. He refinanced $300 million in debt that was pledged against the singer’s 50 percent stake in Sony/ATV, the music catalog behind much of his wealth. The estate paid off Jackson’s $4 million mortgage on the family home in Encino, Calif., and paid $35 million to concert promoter AEG to satisfy debts from the singer’s aborted tour. In all, Jackson’s debt was cut to around $300 million from $500 million. In November the estate was part of a group that agreed to pay $2.2 billion for EMI’s music publishing business, bolstering the revenue stream for its beneficiaries—Jackson’s mother Katherine, his three children, and some unnamed charities.

Now, the estate is focusing on projects to keep the Jackson flame alive for long-time fans while introducing younger audiences to his work. Jackson left behind enough music for one more album, according to a person with knowledge of the singer’s business. (A 2010 album of new songs that the estate released sold a half-million copies.) Plans for a biopic film have been shelved, however, until the right script and director come along. The executors can wait: The estate has rights to Jackson’s music, so an unauthorized film is unrealistic.

The estate signed with Ubisoft for a video game Branca hopes will help introduce a new generation to moonwalking like the master. It also paid half the $60 million production cost for Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour, a show by Cirque du Soleil that opened in October. Rather than backing a show anchored on Broadway or in Las Vegas, Branca opted for a touring show in hopes that fans will bring their kids—who later may become fans themselves. The estate gets half of ticket and merchandise sales plus royalties.

Once The Immortal’s U.S. tour is over, foreign versions will continue. A permanent Cirque show will open in Las Vegas in 2013, along with an interactive museum where fans can dance with the mummies from the Thriller music video. A Broadway show and a tribute concert tour could be next. “There’s a whole generation out there who doesn’t know about Michael and his music,” says Branca. “We’re going to change that.”

The bottom line: Thanks in part to a wave of fan interest, Michael Jackson’s estate was able to trim about $200 million from his debts after his death.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/michael-jacksons-estate-wants-to-keep-thrilling-01052012.html

ivy;3573033 said:

Once The Immortal’s U.S. tour is over, foreign versions will continue. A permanent Cirque show will open in Las Vegas in 2013, along with an interactive museum where fans can dance with the mummies from the Thriller music video. A Broadway show and a tribute concert tour could be next. “There’s a whole generation out there who doesn’t know about Michael and his music,” says Branca. “We’re going to change that.”

The bottom line: Thanks in part to a wave of fan interest, Michael Jackson’s estate was able to trim about $200 million from his debts after his death.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/michael-jacksons-estate-wants-to-keep-thrilling-01052012.html

**weeps**

How is that even possible? My 3 year old cousin knows about MJ. And No, I did not introduce her to him myself.

I think these reports are a bit redundant... but all being said, I am so proud of the estate. The executors are doing an amazing job. Branca is DEFINITELY the man for the job

Can we now accept the fact that MJ might have been in debt (500M$) when he passed? Business Week is directly quoting Branca, so I am assuming he (if not gave them that tidbit of info himself) he signed on it.

Thank you Ivy. The estate's work is admirable, I love John's way of thinking :)

Does anyone know what Michael's sales figures were as of 2009? Wikipedia mentioned 110 mln. for Thriller and 30 mln. for Bad, so in total, including Motown solo releases, it must have been around 300-400 million, right? Which means the revived interest in his music doubled the number within 2.5 years. Impressive.

So the Michael album sold half-million. Not the 2 million that was predicted in the great debate fourm. And one more Posthumous album sounds right. That could work if unreleased tracks are also being paired with BAD25

They should release one of Michael's concerts on blue ray, History or Bad now thats were the money is.

So the Michael album sold half-million. Not the 2 million that was predicted in the great debate fourm. And one more Posthumous album sounds right. That could work if unreleased tracks are also being paired with BAD25

this half million is the USA sales numbers. When I checked Nielsen it showed 434,000 in 2010 for USA only, it seems like in 2011 it sold another 70,000 bringing the number to half a million.

2010 wordwide sales for Michael was 1.2 Million. so michael album sales are definitely above 1.2 Million.

Personally I think a biopic is a dreadful idea. I don't want to see an actor playing Michael I want to see Michael. I cannot understand why the estate are not remastering the concerts and TV performances of the Jackson 5, the Jacksons and Michael solo. This is what most fans want more than anything. They could have a cinema release of a selection of concerts and TV shows across Michael's career followed by the release of a DVD box set. If they are interested in making a lot of money, and I think they are, I guarantee this would make a lot of money.

Cirque du Soleil is very nice and I would love to see it but it isn't Michael and a lot of fans cannot get to it anyway. A cinema release and DVD box set would be available to fans throughout the world. I've been involved in two campaigns about this but we hear nothing from the estate. What is taking them so long?

Awesome. That quote about the new generation not knowing about Michaels music makes me excited about the future. Ive already seen things happen (Cirque, X Factor MJ tribute) that have made the fanbase grow even larger. It's beautiful to see someone tweet when they watch Heal the World or Earth Song for the first time. I'm very happy with what they've done so far for the most part, and I'm looking forward to their next project.

this half million is the USA sales numbers. When I checked Nielsen it showed 434,000 in 2010 for USA only, it seems like in 2011 it sold another 70,000 bringing the number to half a million.

2010 wordwide sales for Michael was 1.2 Million. so michael album sales are definitely above 1.2 Million.
Umm Ivy can you please help me how can I search for Michael Jackson album sales on nielsen ?

Never knew they paid for Cirque production costs. Cirque is really having big sales so I am glad. When we hear fools making fun of Michael on TV we can throw all this information at them. This is a man who is really loved!!!

Umm Ivy can you please help me how can I search for Michael Jackson album sales on nielsen ?

you can't. It's a registration only paid service for publishers, artists etc and Billboard publishes reports from it.

first some information

Nielsen SoundScan is an information and sales tracking system created by Mike Fine and Mike Shalett. Soundscan is the official method of tracking sales of music and music video products throughout the United States and Canada. Data is collected weekly and made available every Wednesday to subscribers, which include executives from all facets of record companies, publishing firms, music retailers, independent promoters, film and TV, and artist management. SoundScan is the sales source for the Billboard music charts, making it the official source of sales records in the music industry.

Here's proof

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...on-two-years-since-his-death-1005251752.story

June 25, 2011

While it's been two years since Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009, his solo catalog of music continues to post solid numbers in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Jackson's 2010 album sales were bolstered by the release of his posthumous studio set "Michael," in December. So far, that album has sold a total of 503,000. ("Michael" finished 2010 as the year's 74th biggest seller, four slots above "Number Ones," which moved 388,000 in 2010 vs. "Michael's" 405,000.)

this is the 2010 year end chart - http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-2010.htm

Michael Jackson - Michael - Epic - 1,2 million copies

so it's 500,000 sales in USA

Never knew they paid for Cirque production costs. Cirque is really having big sales so I am glad. When we hear fools making fun of Michael on TV we can throw all this information at them. This is a man who is really loved!!!

they are paying half of the costs and get half of the profits.

**weeps**How is that even possible? My 3 year old cousin knows about MJ. And No, I did not introduce her to him myself.I think these reports are a bit redundant... but all being said, I am so proud of the estate. The executors are doing an amazing job. Branca is DEFINITELY the man for the jobCan we now accept the fact that MJ might have been in debt (500M$) when he passed? Business Week is directly quoting Branca, so I am assuming he (if not gave them that tidbit of info himself) he signed on it.
it isnt possible. its just p.r speak intetms of look at the money thats out there to be made. but in one sense it can be taken as an insult aswell.

What happened to the hundreds of completed, unreleased tracks that were talked about a couple of years ago?

That is a myth created by people that didnt have a clue what they were talking about + a myth supported by fans..., its like a wish ... but....

That is a myth created by people that didnt have a clue what they were talking about + a myth supported by fans..., its like a wish ... but....

i think there are tons more songs but, they are gonna play this game right and space things out.

Only one more album? :(

I'm glad they are not rushing into a biopic, choosing to wait for the right script and director.

Hope they not only learnt from the Elvis Estate, but give them a run for their money.

ivy;3573033 said:
Jackson left behind enough music for one more album, according to a person with knowledge of the singer’s business.

What person? lol >_>

That doesn't make any sense..I mean, the Cascio songs alone could be an entire album itself? Honestly, I don't buy anyone's story here or anywhere on how many songs there are. Unless Branca or Mcclain do an interview and say 'There is X many songs left' it's up in the air still IMO.

I think Michael said he wrote many songs for every album, but it doesn´t mean they all were completed.

What person? lol >_>

That doesn't make any sense..I mean, the Cascio songs alone could be an entire album itself? Honestly, I don't buy anyone's story here or anywhere on how many songs there are. Unless Branca or Mcclain do an interview and say 'There is X many songs left' it's up in the air still IMO.

yeah i agree.

The estate statement regarding the chinese theatre event says mj sales are 1 billion, whereas this article says 750 million. I think i'll go with the 1 billion as it's a nice round number, and everybody inflates sales figures anyway.

Awesome. That quote about the new generation not knowing about Michaels music makes me excited about the future. Ive already seen things happen (Cirque, X Factor MJ tribute) that have made the fanbase grow even larger. It's beautiful to see someone tweet when they watch Heal the World or Earth Song for the first time.
just think about these new fans who are being introduced to Michael's music and films in this very second...isn't it exciting?:D I remember myself and my reaction when I was discovering this f a n t a s t i c stuff! Sweet memories:)

I've just thought of a great idea on how MJ's estate can earn lots of money to line Branca's pockets and show once and for all that MJ was the best entertainer to walk the planet. Release Bad Tour 88!!! I'm suprised they haven't thought of this genius of an idea already......

Sorry I couldn't resist!

When you think of it, the threads about the Estate are some of the few were we can get good news. :)

Oh, and, yeah, I co sign, that Bad tour DVD... :bored2:

Last edited:

Just got a notification from MJ Estate Online Team about the sales numbers.

Worldwide sales numbers for Michael album is 2.5 Million.

It sold 600,000 in USA.

"The best way to break someones power is by convincing the people that they are going broke."
MJ Legacy7

The key ingredient to controlling and manipulating Michael jackson's image has always been rumors about his "dire" finances. That is the most important way for haters and the media to portray him as a man who was always in a bad situation. Therefore everything he did was just a desperate attempt for money. This was/is the constant portrayal despite what Mr. Jackson always had to say about his own situation.

Michael Jackson was going to make $400 or $500 million from his deal with AEG alone. That's when the entire media became hell bent on raising rumors of debt by hundreds of millions. According to the AP Jackson left $400 million in debt. According to Reuters it was $500 milion.

No other celebrity in the world has the entire media attempting to erase a billion dollars in SOLVENT net worth, while they add hundreds of milions in debt rumors.

"Give Michael Jackson Credit For His Estate" google

Last edited:
Back