History-Past, Present And Future....sound quality?

RIP_2009

Proud Member
Hello,

I bought this double cd on release day in 1995 and was wondering if the versions sold today
have the same sound quality as 20 years ago?
No sound upgrade?No jap release with better audio?
All I know is that they changed part of the lyrics used in TDCAU in 2nd pressing.

The original 1995 release had already a proper mastering. There's actually no need for an upgrade, although there's a 2009 Japanese remastered release on which was a slightly more compression applied.

The original 1995 release had already a proper mastering. There's actually no need for an upgrade, although there's a 2009 Japanese remastered release on which was a slightly more compression applied.

ok,thanks :)

Hello,

I bought this double cd on release day in 1995 and was wondering if the versions sold today
have the same sound quality as 20 years ago?
No sound upgrade?No jap release with better audio?
All I know is that they changed part of the lyrics used in TDCAU in 2nd pressing.

Are you talking about the censoring of "Jew" and "k*ke"? Because I hate that they did that. I think it takes away from the song.

I actually prefer the TDCAU 'Single Version' at 4:43 with all the extra noises in it - packs more of a punch to me.

Of course the version from the original pressing of the album is truer to Michael's vision and doesn't censor his lyrics.

I love that the answer is that History is too awesome to need to be fixed!!

I think the original pressing should be the best one out there. Another difference in the new pressings is the different instrumental intro in the song HIStory.
I hope we get a special edition one day with the "extended" songs (they had to cut out a few minutes to make it fit on the cd)

Last edited:
I believe his back catalog had already been remastered specifically for this release on the Greatest Hits disc, and the material on disc 2 would already have had a proper mastering having been done in the prime of the CD era. If they did a remaster now it would most likely be another brickwalled, heavily compressed mess like so many other recent remasters.

Back