Michael and Katherine Hepburn

barbee0715

Proud Member
This is from an article in "The Closer" magazine. It's a magazine I never heard of and it's probably a tabloid, but they printed an excerpt from a new book, "In the Company of Legends," that two documentarians did about their interviews of people like Jimmy Stewart,Audrey Hepburn, Henry Fonda and Katherine Hepburn, among others.

The Closer printed a little excerpt about Katherine talking about the time Michael visited the set of "On Golden Pond". They didn't print the whole thing, because they want you to buy the magazine, but I thought it was cute. I never heard her talk about it before.

I remember watching her in interviews around this time, and this sounds the way she talked then-real bossy. Very different from the way she was in her relationship with Spencer Tracy. :)

Joan and David's book, 'In the Company of Legends.'
"I met Michael when I was up at Squam Lake in New Hampshire making On Golden Pond, and he came to visit Jane Fonda," Kate said. "They were already friends. She introduced him to me, and he was very soft-spoken and sweet."

"Then, Jane said to me, ‘I have to go back to LA for the weekend. Could you look after Michael?’ I said, ‘What the hell am I supposed to do with this kid? I hardly know him.’"

"'Oh, you’ll find things to do,’ she said. ‘He’s crazy about you.’ She’d found him a room in the attic of an old house. When I went there on Saturday morning, the room looked like a hurricane had hit it."

"I said, ‘Michael, clean up this place — right now.’ And he said, ‘Yes, Miss Hepburn,’ in a voice I could hardly hear, and he began picking up all those clothes and piling them on a chair. I said to him, ‘Don’t you ever do your laundry?’ And he said, ‘Someone usually does that for me.’"

"I said, ‘Come with me. We’re going to a laundromat just down the street.’" Kate showed Michael how to feed quarters into the washing machines.

To read the full story on Katharine and Michael, pick up the new issue of 'Closer Weekly,' on newsstands now!

http://www.closerweekly.com/posts/i...and-michael-jackson-s-secret-friendship-54808

And he said, ‘Yes, Miss Hepburn,’ in a voice I could hardly hear, and he began picking up all those clothes and piling them on a chair.

LOL. Like a little kid.

Lol. What year was this?
Had to be 1980.

I think it's funny that Michael was made out to be such a reserved, shy introvert and then he just ups and goes to visit Jane Fonda on her movie set for a week-alone. I think growing up in Hollywood and being loved by so many in "old Hollywood" probably helped in that. As a kid, I was always way more comfortable with people who were 20-50 years older than me-they had fascinating stories.
I probably would have jumped at a chance like this, scared or not.

Another great interview with Jane Fonda about Michael being on the "On Golden Pond" set. Obviously, Katherine took a great liking to Michael-more than Jane. She let him go to the set every single day with his tape recorder and tape her stories about acting and theatre. Absolutely fascinating.

Interesting too, is that she gave this talk to film and drama students at Loyola Marymount. I wonder if Prince was in the audience.

<header class="container article-header" data-reactid=".2cfyk19jlds.5.1:2.0" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 40px auto 0px; max-width: 1252px; min-width: 1252px; text-align: center; padding: 0px 65px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: medium;">Jane Fonda Recalls the Time Katharine Hepburn Mentored Michael Jackson

</header>
<figure class="main-image landscape" data-reactid=".2cfyk19jlds.5.1:2.1.0.0.0" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 0px -106px; font-size: 0px; position: relative; text-align: center;">
jane-fonda-katherine-hepburn-michael-jackson-acting.jpg

<figcaption class="caption main-image-caption" data-reactid=".2cfyk19jlds.5.1:2.1.0.0.0.1" style="box-sizing: border-box; bottom: 0px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: VFSans, Futura-Medium, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; line-height: 20px; padding: 8px 10px 9px; position: static; text-align: left; width: 848px; margin: 0px auto; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(238, 238, 238); background: transparent;">By Clemens Bilan (Fonda), Alfred Eisenstaedt (Hepburn), Kevin Winter (Jackson), all from Getty Images.
</figcaption></figure>Fonda brought Michael Jackson to the On Golden Pond set.
<label data-reactid=".2cfyk19jlds.5.1:2.1.0.0.3.$Author.0" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(153, 153, 153);">BY </label>

Michael Jackson may have been one of the great musicians of our time, but in the early 1980s, between his hit albums Off the Wall and Thriller, the King of Pop was entertaining the idea of becoming a serious actor. Jackson had recently made his acting debut in Sidney Lumet&#8217;s The Wiz, in which he played the Scarecrow, and he was eager to learn the craft. So, being resourceful and well connected, Jackson reached out to two of Hollywood&#8217;s top actresses, Jane Fonda andKatharine Hepburn, who happened to be making a movie together at the time.
Well, more accurately, he reached out to Fonda to see if it would be O.K. with Hepburn if he visited the set of On Golden Pond. &#8220;[He] came and stayed for 10 days,&#8221; Fonda revealed during a recent &#8220;Hollywood Masters&#8221; interview. &#8220;And when I first asked [Hepburn for] permission, there&#8217;s this young singer, a black young singer that I would like to invite, she was not happy. . . . But then the crew said, You don&#8217;t understand. It&#8217;s Michael Jackson. . . . So she had that attitude about allowing a young kid that she&#8217;d never heard of [on set], but she accepted him.&#8221;
Fonda said that Jackson lived with her during his 10-day visit, and the two even went skinny dipping together. When Jackson was not gallivanting with Fonda around New Hampshire, though, he was gleaning as much as he could from Hepburn about acting.
&#8220;He wanted to be a movie star,&#8221; Fonda continued. &#8220;He had just finished doing The Wiz. And he had a tape recorder with him, and every day I would bring him to the set, and in between scenes she would sit down in a chair and pull over a chair for him and tell him stories.&#8221;
Before you ask, Fonda clarified that those tapes will never see the light of day, mostly because she doesn&#8217;t know where they are. But Fonda did describe the unlikely duo&#8217;s conversations.
&#8220;Every [one of Hepburn&#8217;s] story embedded a lesson: for example, she talked about Laurette Taylor, probably one of the great American actors of all time . . . who starred [on-stage] inGlass Menagerie. . . . So she described to Michael seeing this transcendent piece of acting. She then saw [Taylor] 25 or 30 years later playing the same role, the magic was gone.
&#8220;She said to Michael, &#8216;She wasn&#8217;t hungry anymore.&#8217; What a great thing to say to a young, rising star like Michael: You gotta stay hungry. Don&#8217;t ever phone it in. Don&#8217;t ever take it for granted.&#8221;
Fonda also shared two memories of Hepburn that bookended the Golden Pond experience for her.
&#8220;Her first words to me in person were, &#8216;I don&#8217;t like you,&#8217; which, you know, is kind of like having God say that you&#8217;re worthless,&#8221; Fonda shared. &#8220;And the reason that she was so angry I realized, I found out, she told me, is because she and my father had never met. . . . Which to her was a huge sign of disrespect.&#8221;
A year or so later, Hepburn and Fonda&#8217;s father, Henry, would both win Oscars for their roles in the film&#8212;although neither actor was well enough to attend the ceremony. Fonda, who had won two Oscars at this point, called Hepburn the next day to pay her respects to the now four-time Academy Award winner.
&#8220;I called her the next day to congratulate her,&#8221; Fonda said. &#8220;You know what she said to me? &#8216;You&#8217;ll never catch me now.&#8217;&#8221;

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/10/jane-fonda-michael-jackson-katharine-hepburn?mbid=social

[video=youtube;YjWX1Yj_lQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjWX1Yj_lQ0[/video]

Back