Was the crowd spread in LA really smaller than expected..?

hesiod

Proud Member
The event was breath-taking and emotional.. I haven’t cried like that for years..
I’m somewhat pissed that some haters on various forums cheer with the “smaller crowds than expected”.. I thought initially that only fox and the dorks in tmz would make this an issue, but it seems that all channels mentioned it more or less.. that’s from msnbc:
Police had based their projection of 250,000 people on turnouts for the funerals of Princess Diana and Elvis Presley, along with the recent Los Angeles Lakers NBA championship parade, Diaz said.”

anyone knows on what the numbers really were..?

yeah who cares they did their best to keep ppl away what do ppl expect

1/3 of all of LA's police force was at staples...you bet they kept as few people there as possible

and its not like u could see anyway. theres no footage of the surrounding area

It's because they wouldn't let anyone near the center, if people were free to crowd around you can bet it would've been packed.

first they tell the fans to stay away then they make issue out of the out come BS!

first they tell the fans to stay away then they make issue out of the out come BS!

exactly.

And Imma join everyone else who said "who cares?". Out of everything to be thinking about and focusing on in this man's life, anyone whose main concern is crowd size ...what can you say? If that's all haters can talk about today leave them in their ignorance. A life has been lost and ppl are greiving. Screw crowd numbers. Main thing to know is ppl turned out all across the world to pay their respects wherever they were sat or stood. The love and honor for Michael was felt globally, not just in the Staples Center or on the streets of L.A.

For Elvis, they didn't tell people to stay away

For Diana, they didn't tell people to stay away

For Michael, they told people to stay away and deployed heavy police, barricades as well as not using screens to ensure that.

The difference is that global viewership was high

Therefore the comparisons have no basis since you cannot tell people and threten to manhandle them "show no mercy" and then expect high turnout.

There were no police dogs used on Diana and Elvis funeral

I guy that wants to spoil our emotion today posted this at a blog -about Elvis- (I checked and it's from wikipedia):

"Before his funeral, hundreds of thousands of fans, the press and celebrities lined the streets and many hoped to see the open casket in Graceland. One of Presley's cousins, Bobby Mann,[53] accepted $18,000 to secretly photograph the corpse; the picture duly appeared on the cover of the National Enquirer, making it the largest and fastest selling issue of all time.[245] Two days after the singer's death, a car plowed into a group of 2000 fans outside Presley's home, killing two women and critically injuring a third.[246] Among the mourners at the funeral were Ann-Margret (who had remained close to Presley) and his ex-wife.[247] U.S. President Jimmy Carter issued a statementSee ('Legacy').[248]"

Why was it purposely meant to be a small event?
i don't understand that. Cos if that was anyone else it would have been big. an another thing why were the people with no tickets so far away and with no screen?

Point # 1: there were I think 70,00 fans for elvis memorial. Micheal's was countless that's why they didn't want people to come because there would have been an astounding number of fans.

Point#2 Who cares. don't mean to be cold but those were his times this is our time. just imagine if the 2.1 million fans that logged on staples web site with the first two hours of there posting would have got tickets wow. right I know. it would have been too many plus it was an indoors event and they triple urged us to stay home.

^i just find it wierd when
When Lady Diana funeral was on, the roads were not closed and people were near her coffin. and their were screens. - She was very famous like Michael

They always gotta try to make him look bad always gotta try and compare or find a flaw.
I notice when people try their hardest to try and find problems or flaws or just something negative it's because your great, your special and there jealous. Now I am not going to even say who who is in Michael s case you fans already know. this is just another heartless attempt to make him look bad , but what the media doesn't understand is that we don't care what they say what they think or what they do.

^i just find it wierd when
When Lady Diana funeral was on, the roads were not closed and people were near her coffin. and their were screens. - She was very famous like Michael

I know, I can't explain why though I would have loved to go, I would have loved to see all his fans get the chance to say goodbye. Very sad

They just said on CBS Evening News (which we get on Sky News at 1:30am) that the crowd was only 600 people. Whoa. But then we were all told that Michael was to already be buried and "don't come down here!" and that we wouldn't be able to see anything or get anywhere near. Stay home, stay home, stay home. So, not generally being trouble makers, I guess that's just what people did.

There were 75,000 people at Elvis' funeral and no one was told not to come. There was no internet.

With Michael, everyone was warned for an entire week, not to come down there if you had no ticket. Also, there would be no jumbotron and barracades would be set up without a 2 block radius. So why would anyone go down there? It became apparent to the masses that it would be better to watch it on tv. Also, you got to think about the fact that this memorial was not held in a place that was big enough for people to just show up and wander around even if they did come. Where were they gonna go?

They just said on CBS Evening News (which we get on Sky News at 1:30am) that the crowd was only 600 people. Whoa. But then we were all told that Michael was to already be buried and "don't come down here!" and that we wouldn't be able to see anything or get anywhere near. Stay home, stay home, stay home. So, not generally being trouble makers, I guess that's just what people did.

600 just in the blocks around Staples center, or in the whole city?
How did they mention it on cbs, like 'how few people showed up'..?

I agree with you all.....WHO CARES. Lets not give them the satisfaction of letting them think they said something to bother us, because their the ignorant ones

Plus also while i was watching the lady said that there were a couple thousands fans around the corner.

Back